Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So I finally got a call from a tech support scammer. Been expecting it since my ISP had a bug customer data breach last year.

International call from Egypt, didn't even bother to withhold his number, so I took it as my civic duty to wast this guy's time as much as possible.

Basically he's spent an hour trying to walk me through installing TeamViewer, and I've done no favours for the perceived competence of my gender (e.g. told him my browser was "mozeralla", and now he has promised to have a manager call me back (I may have fake humblebragged about not being to upgrade until next month as I've just bought a second Mercedes)

All the error messages were genuine, they were just coming from my Windows NT 3.51 VM, running Netscape 4.8. Sadly going to the teamviewer site crashes this browser, so I think I need a slightly more useful OS for when they call back, hence the post here, what should I install that will actually run TeamViewer yet still confuse the gently caress out of a scam artist working from a script.

Bonus pic of the VM I was trying to get him to log in to:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
You should install Windows XP and test teamviewer in advance.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Back when everyone was running XP when it was still sensible to do so, I remember just having Windows 2000 installed and it can basically run all of the same things.

You could probably get some version of teamviewer to run on 98 or even 95SE, but I'm not sure about the more recent versions (9+).

Whatever you do, bring ski free along with you.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

XP and 2000.. kinda boring, but sensible. Maybe I'll try Windows ME :)

Testing team viewer in advance is a good plan though.

Lum fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 26, 2016

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Use Haiku: https://www.haiku-os.org/

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Is TeamViewer cross-platform? Maybe dump them into some obscure Linux distro and see what they do.

e: ^^^^^^ beaten

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Install ReactOS. When questioned on it, insist that your computer-savvy nephew installed Windows last summer like you paid him to, and you even have the shiny sticker taped to your tower to prove it. Demand that they give you your free upgrade to Windows 10.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rukus posted:

Is TeamViewer cross-platform? Maybe dump them into some obscure Linux distro and see what they do.

e: ^^^^^^ beaten

Only via Wine, unfortunately.,

The reactOS thing might work though.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
Supported list...
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/38-which-operating-systems-are-supported

NT Service Pack 6A could be fun.. or android x86 distro.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol
Another fun one is installing a horrible rootkit bomb package in an XP VM. Load teamviewer in advance and then bomb the poo poo out of the system and see what they can do

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Is Wine on Windows still continued, that should be able to run TeamViewer on older versions. It looks difficult to go back beyond Windows 2000 though.

Does TeamViewer 3.6 no longer operate?

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Did his manager ever get back to you?

:ohdear:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 7, 2016

• Locked thread