Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Speaking of Bomberman, what are the best single player ones?

There's a pretty good one on the DS/3DS, "Bomberman 2". Review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

In Training posted:

You have to launch the Wii inside the Wii U and then access that store.

what an intuitive interface :doh: Thanks

Patter Song posted:

Bomberman 94 on the Wii VC for the TG16.

:eyepop: well this solves my problem pretty directly

SeANMcBAY posted:

Bomberman 94 is actually the same game as Mega Bomberman, and I had tons of fun with it as a kid, but I'm not sure whether it's objectively good compared to the others or whether it's just the one I happened to be obsessed with when I was 7

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SeANMcBAY posted:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Saoshyant posted:

There's a pretty good one on the DS/3DS, "Bomberman 2". Review.

I cannot recommend this one enough. It didn't come out in NA but that doesn't matter because as a DS game it's region free.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Bomberman Tournament for the GBA.
Its single player is basically "Bomberman meets Legend of Zelda with a Pokemon mini-game" and it's perfect because of it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SilverSupernova posted:

Its single player is basically "Bomberman meets Legend of Zelda with a Pokemon mini-game" and it's perfect because of it.
:stare:
Do you breed bomb flowers?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
That pixel maker thing out on Wiiu this week. I can't find anything online off my phone but is it a pixel art app for WiiU? Because I if I could pixel in bed or on the toilet I'd be super happy.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

SilverSupernova posted:

Bomberman Tournament actually rips from Neutopia, so it's sort of a Zelda clone clone.

It's a little short and a little easy but seriously why didn't they make every single player bomberman in this style? It really works well.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Yokai Watch is pretty good

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So uh I might be the only person to ever need Wii U tech support but

I tried launching the Wii emulator as recommended in the thread to download Bomberman Blast, and saw the Wii U System Transfer and went "hey, I can get all my old Wii VC poo poo on the new console too, sounds like a great idea" and it launched into Wii Shop Channel and I got the error "the requested URL /startup was not found on this server"

and when I try to launch the Wii Shop Channel itself it says it's undergoing maintenance.

So basically it seems like when my Wii U is in Wii emulation mode it can't connect to poo poo. Obviously, my Internet works, and the Wii U can even connect just fine when it's in Wii U mode, it just can't connect to anything from Wii mode. Is this a known issue or what because so far Google isn't helping. There's a Google result from techforums.nintendo.com that seems relevant but when I click it I just get redirected to the forum front page :argh:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

So uh I might be the only person to ever need Wii U tech support but

I tried launching the Wii emulator as recommended in the thread to download Bomberman Blast, and saw the Wii U System Transfer and went "hey, I can get all my old Wii VC poo poo on the new console too, sounds like a great idea" and it launched into Wii Shop Channel and I got the error "the requested URL /startup was not found on this server"

and when I try to launch the Wii Shop Channel itself it says it's undergoing maintenance.

So basically it seems like when my Wii U is in Wii emulation mode it can't connect to poo poo. Obviously, my Internet works, and the Wii U can even connect just fine when it's in Wii U mode, it just can't connect to anything from Wii mode. Is this a known issue or what because so far Google isn't helping. There's a Google result from techforums.nintendo.com that seems relevant but when I click it I just get redirected to the forum front page :argh:

Wii uses a different connection protocol than Wii U. It might be your router settings.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cloks posted:

Wii uses a different connection protocol than Wii U. It might be your router settings.

What about them specifically? The error messages are not helpful at all.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
If it helps, I am getting the same message about maintenance on my 2ds and my 3ds.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Wii Wireless Security Modes: WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES)

Wii U Wireless Security Modes: WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (TKIP)

If you're using a wireless security mode supported by the Wii U and not the Wii, you'll have issues. The connection will display Wii U / Wii in the Wii U settings if it supports both consoles.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I meant to ask this earlier, but since it's come up again, are there any wii eshop games that are worth getting.
I've been thinking about getting the Castlevania, Contra and Gradius games by M2.

Anything else unique to the shops that are really good or great?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King is probably the best thing on the wii shop.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

homeless snail posted:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King is probably the best thing on the wii shop.

My Life as a Darklord is pretty neat, too.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cloks posted:

Wii Wireless Security Modes: WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES)

Wii U Wireless Security Modes: WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (TKIP)

If you're using a wireless security mode supported by the Wii U and not the Wii, you'll have issues. The connection will display Wii U / Wii in the Wii U settings if it supports both consoles.

It does in fact display both, and my router's security setup appears to be AES, soooooo v:v:v

I dunno, if I get back from this errand and it's still claiming maintenance I'm just gonna get the Xbox 360 bomberman instead because this is just a little too much poo poo

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

IS THAT A BOMBERMAN RPG?!

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

homeless snail posted:

I believe you meant to say "Lead the Meerkats."

Kirios posted:

IS THAT A BOMBERMAN RPG?!
Yup. Well an ARPG.
That one, Tournament, and Story 2 all followed that formula in some way.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

How did I not know this existed! This is stuff from my childhood realized!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

SylvainMustach posted:

I meant to ask this earlier, but since it's come up again, are there any wii eshop games that are worth getting.
I've been thinking about getting the Castlevania, Contra and Gradius games by M2.

Excitebike: World Challenge/Rally was a pretty rad game in the style of the NES game with a slight sprinkle of Excite Truck's terrain deformation.

I was disappointed we didn't see more digital updates to the black box NES games like it. Would've adored a new Wrecking Crew.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

SylvainMustach posted:

FAST Racing League would have been my recommendation but now that the sequel is out get that instead.

Fluidity/Hydroventure is really good, platformer in which you control water. Does a lot of clever things with the water physics and is set within a book that you travel between the pages of.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Echophonic posted:

My Life as a Darklord is pretty neat, too.

Sounds fun!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Yeah, I haven't played it for a while, but it's a really neat sort of tower defense thing. Very different than My Life as a King. Both are really charming, though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo put out several Art Style games or WiiWare that are mostly pretty neat; some are remakes of Japan-only GBA games, some are original. I thought for sure they'd continue that series for 3DS/Wii U but they never did...

There's an original Blaster Master game for WiiWare, and the Trails devs made a game called MotoHeroz that's like Trials mixed with Mario Kart that I don't think was ported to many other platforms.

About Bomberman Blast: if you're playing on a Wii you can do 8-player local multiplayer with 4 Wii controllers and 4 GC controllers.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

It does in fact display both, and my router's security setup appears to be AES, soooooo v:v:v

I dunno, if I get back from this errand and it's still claiming maintenance I'm just gonna get the Xbox 360 bomberman instead because this is just a little too much poo poo

Sorry, I'm stumped. Have you tried invoking JivJov?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It could be that they're actually doing maintenance, they do it pretty much every week and I think they post the downtimes on their website somewhere.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It could be that they're actually doing maintenance, they do it pretty much every week and I think they post the downtimes on their website somewhere.

Yeah, according to https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp something was happening today.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I actually do wonder how long the original Wii Shop will be supported with the NX on the way

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Nintendo put out several Art Style games or WiiWare that are mostly pretty neat; some are remakes of Japan-only GBA games, some are original. I thought for sure they'd continue that series for 3DS/Wii U but they never did...

There's an original Blaster Master game for WiiWare, and the Trails devs made a game called MotoHeroz that's like Trials mixed with Mario Kart that I don't think was ported to many other platforms.

About Bomberman Blast: if you're playing on a Wii you can do 8-player local multiplayer with 4 Wii controllers and 4 GC controllers.

I'm assuming the Gamecube adapter would not get this to work on a Wii U.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FanaticalMilk posted:

I'm assuming the Gamecube adapter would not get this to work on a Wii U.

Nope, the GC adapter only works for Smash and Nintendo explicitly keeps other devs from doing anything with it.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Nope, the GC adapter only works for Smash and Nintendo explicitly keeps other devs from doing anything with it.

God bless 'em.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

I actually do wonder how long the original Wii Shop will be supported with the NX on the way

Hard to say; they pulled the plug on the DSi shop recently, but the Wii was a much bigger deal. They supported rewriting Famicom Disk System games from 1986 up until at least 2003, so it's anybody's guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They announced they're pulling the plug on the DSi Shop Channel but it'll still be up until April of next year and all the DSiWare games will still be available on 3DS.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I'm back from the thing I was doing and the Wii Shop Channel seems to be working again :shrug: Guess it really was just maintenance; honestly I would have assumed that was all that was happening in the first place if it weren't for the different error message when I tried to run the transfer tool

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

They announced they're pulling the plug on the DSi Shop Channel but it'll still be up until April of next year and all the DSiWare games will still be available on 3DS.

In that case, are there any really must-have games on the DSI shop? The only DSi game I've got is Four Swords Adventures, and that was from a Club Nintendo code.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Spoderman posted:

Hard to say; they pulled the plug on the DSi shop recently, but the Wii was a much bigger deal. They supported rewriting Famicom Disk System games from 1986 up until at least 2003, so it's anybody's guess.

I don't think that the Wii Shop Channel will be deactivated for Wii & WiiU users for years to come...the question asked earlier is whether the NX will be able to access it, and that's trickier because it'd require the NX to support the Motion Sensor Bar and the Wiimote.

Of course, even if the NX has Wii U eShop access, you'll need to support the Wiimote or all of the Wii Downloads for Wii U games won't work, as well as WiiU titles like Just Dance (Granted, not a huge loss, but still).

Of course, support the Wiimote, even for legacy purposes, and you'll get whiners saying that Nintendo is crippling the NX, that it's too much like a Wii, and that there are too many controllers and it's too confusing, so pick your poison.

I'd hope that the Wii Shop Channel stays open just because, seriously, there is no way those Turbografx 16 games or many of those Genesis games ever make their way onto the eShop. (I say many because there's at least a chance that Sega will port some of their 3D Classics to the NX or Nintendo's next handheld). Theoretically, now that SNK makes video games again, they might be interested in eShop support of NeoGeo stuff again, but even then it would be years before they built a library of NeoGeo titles comparable to the Wii VC one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Short of Konami's entire board of executives topping themselves in a murder-suicide pact to appease a mad pagan god, it's also the last place you'll be able to buy those old Hudson Soft-made games for a long, long time.