Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Wasn't that a knock on that got Melbourne that possession?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Warriors have no excuse for not competing

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I missed the first try but apparently there was a pretty bad obstruction?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The raiders/tigers scoreline is in danger of being beat if the warriors don't pull their socks up.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

cpaf posted:

I missed the first try but apparently there was a pretty bad obstruction?

Just the usual bullshit that's a penalty for everyone but Melbourne

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Cool, now Lolohea is off.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Mannering broken jaw too this is loving awful.

edit: not broken jaw, gruesome cut through the muscle under the tongue requiring urgent ring around for a plastic surgeon.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 25, 2016

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The raiders/tigers scoreline is in danger of being beat if the warriors don't pull their socks up.

At least we scored a try?

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

quote:

The 2016 Kangaroos squad
1. Darius Boyd
2. Semi Radradra
3. Greg Inglis
4. Josh Dugan
5. Blake Ferguson
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Matt Scott
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. Paul Gallen
11. Josh Papalii
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker
Interchange:
14. Josh McGuire
15. Michael Morgan
16. James Tamou
17. Sam Thaiday
18. Aidan Guerra
19. Michael Jennings

http://www.nrl.com/kangaroos-team-named-to-face-nz/tabid/10874/newsid/95266/default.aspx

Other than Ferguson and probably Tamou the team is pretty solid. Tamou is okay but Fifita and Klemmer are both much better impact props. The team is also basically the Maroons

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Are we doing any title changes yet? I think "Rugby League 2016 - Ben has been horrible and disrespectful to our players" has a certain ring to it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
not sure how Ferguson got a spot

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Much like Gallen, Meninga felt bad just picking the Queensland team?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Burn Down Auckland

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Still idly considering Burn Down Campbelltown

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Ewar Woowar posted:

Burn Down Auckland

Seriously, when it happens every year, regardless of who the coach is, then it's pretty obvious the problem is with the players and not the coach. It would be easy to get rid of McFadden, but I doubt it would make any difference unless there's also a serious clear-out and rebuild of the squad. gently caress those fucks.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 26, 2016

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Watching replay st helens and leeds. Whats the ESRG on the arse of the St Helens players?

30 mins this is quite entertaining.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Vagabundo posted:

Seriously, when it happens every year, regardless of who the coach is, then it's pretty obviously the problem is with the players and not the coach. It would be easy to get rid of McFadden, but I doubt it would make any difference unless there's also a serious clear-out and rebuild of the squad. gently caress those fucks.

put Brian Smith in charge
they'll be competitive, won't win anything but they'll make the semi finals every year.

is Luke Brooks is still looking for 800k a year?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Abalone Malone posted:

put Brian Smith in charge
they'll be competitive, won't win anything but they'll make the semi finals every year.

is Luke Brooks is still looking for 800k a year?

Hopefully, then we'll sack him since we can't afford that.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Dirty Frank posted:

Kyle Amor just monstered Zak Hardaker and took a try, well worth a look on replay, fun stuff.

Amazing. Just seen it.

In the nrl that would have been a penalty for being mean or somesuch.

Also idiot comentators it's not a scissor kick its a goose step. Gooooooose Steeeep. Goose.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 26, 2016

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Watching replay st helens and leeds. Whats the ESRG on the arse of the St Helens players?

30 mins this is quite entertaining.

I'd never heard of them before, according to their website: "Four highly skilled individuals from the tax, fiduciary, financial and fund administration world, have come together to establish the ESRG Group."

Surely there are better companies to use the arse placement. Hemorrhoid cream maybe?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Surely proctologists would be fingering for some of that action.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Dirty Frank posted:

I'd never heard of them before, according to their website: "Four highly skilled individuals from the tax, fiduciary, financial and fund administration world, have come together to establish the ESRG Group."

Surely there are better companies to use the arse placement. Hemorrhoid cream maybe?

Or an Expression of Interest for head coach at the West Tigers

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Vagabundo posted:

Seriously, when it happens every year, regardless of who the coach is, then it's pretty obvious the problem is with the players and not the coach. It would be easy to get rid of McFadden, but I doubt it would make any difference unless there's also a serious clear-out and rebuild of the squad. gently caress those fucks.

The players had a shocker yesterday, but I don't blame them for the overall woes of the club. We've got numerous players who have performed well in first grade and at rep level for a number of years. If we let them go to other clubs, a lot of them would come back to bite us in the rear end. I also hate the dog whistle journalism we get when things go wrong. The obvious case this year was Graham Lowe's "bro culture" bullshit. The other versions of this story we here annually "not enough Australians" and "too many Islanders playing unstructured footy".

The front office is much improved since Scurrah left. Picking up RTS and Luke in the offseason was much better than previous offseasons when Dean Bell would throw money at anything with an Australian accent.

Scouting and development of junior talent has been great for a number of years, although retention of the best talent has been poor at times. Letting Elijah Taylor go to get Todd loving Lowrie more game time is one of the dumbest decisions in recent times and Peta Hiku would be the answer to the problem we've had in the centres since Tate left and Ropati hosed his knee up.

I still believe that coaching is our big weakness. In McFadden's case, he was given a four year contract despite no prior experience and no real competition for his signature- would any other club have given him their first grade head coaching role? The appointment of Matt Elliott before him was similarly messed up, he was supposed to be our coaching director, but Scurrah and Bell hosed up and couldn't find a proper coach so gave the job to Elliott instead.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Yeah, Graham Lowe was on the news again tonight saying they're close to the worst Warriors team ever. Media always go to him whenever the Warriors lose for a quote.

Also, wow at Trent Robinson copping a 40K fine. He probably considers it money well spent though.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Agree about the 'bro culture' racist dogwhistle poo poo, our two seniormost players are Ryan Hoffman and Simon Mannering for gently caress's sake. Also the rose tinted view of the Australian players we've had over the years is funny, for every Kevin Campion there's a Scotty Coxon, Matt Spence and Danny Sullivan. In saying that, our fans/talkback dickheads don't seem to grasp the fact that the best Aussies aren't waiting by the phone for the Warriors to call, they have other loving options in their own country where their partners have jobs, where their kids go to school, where their parents live around the corner. That means we have to take calculated risks that sometimes work, sometimes not. James Maloney v Harry Seijka for example.

I don't think there's a single player in our first grade squad who isn't up to that standard, and I have faith in Jim Doyle for the overall guidance of the big picture stuff. That leaves the coaching staff because something's clearly not right and I don't accept the bro culture poo poo. One thing that I disagree strongly with is how John Ackland was pushed out of the club. By all accounts he's a hugely impressive guy and a brilliant coach who a lot of our guys came up through the grades playing for, but something went wrong and he got booted for mysterious reasons. He deserved a crack at the first grade job if he wanted it.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Roosters slapped with a $40k fine for their coach having a go at the ref after the game.

Robinson's a loving muppet so, really, not surprised (at either the spray or the fine). Also maybe he should've been having a go at his players for gift-wrapping and handing a try to Faifai Loa.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Red_Museum posted:

Yeah, Graham Lowe was on the news again tonight saying they're close to the worst Warriors team ever. Media always go to him whenever the Warriors lose for a quote.

This is hilarious given that the Warriors squads he assembled while running the club for Tainui were literally the worst we have ever seen, and the club was basically broke by the time he was done.

Smorgasbord posted:

One thing that I disagree strongly with is how John Ackland was pushed out of the club. By all accounts he's a hugely impressive guy and a brilliant coach who a lot of our guys came up through the grades playing for, but something went wrong and he got booted for mysterious reasons. He deserved a crack at the first grade job if he wanted it.

There's no doubt that Ackland is one of the best talent evaluators around, but I just never saw him as a first grade coach. You could see that the club was trying to appease him by letting him sit in the coach's box during first grade games even when he was coaching the U20s squad. I suspect he was getting overpaid just to keep him around to develop talent, but I got the feeling he wanted out as soon as he realised he had no chance at being first grade coach.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I just found Robinson hilarious since his team benefited from two clearcut incorrectly awarded tries, and he decided to go on a rampage against the refs. Without the refs loving things up his team would have lost by miles, like the gormless fucktards they are. I wonder if he's had any time for reflection in the video sessions yet to see the stupidity of his rampage.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

I just found Robinson hilarious since his team benefited from two clearcut incorrectly awarded tries, and he decided to go on a rampage against the refs. Without the refs loving things up his team would have lost by miles, like the gormless fucktards they are. I wonder if he's had any time for reflection in the video sessions yet to see the stupidity of his rampage.

Yeah it's amazing how butthurt Roosters fans were about the reffing considered they were awarded two tries that they shouldn't have been.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jono C posted:

The players had a shocker yesterday, but I don't blame them for the overall woes of the club. We've got numerous players who have performed well in first grade and at rep level for a number of years. If we let them go to other clubs, a lot of them would come back to bite us in the rear end. I also hate the dog whistle journalism we get when things go wrong. The obvious case this year was Graham Lowe's "bro culture" bullshit. The other versions of this story we here annually "not enough Australians" and "too many Islanders playing unstructured footy".

The front office is much improved since Scurrah left. Picking up RTS and Luke in the offseason was much better than previous offseasons when Dean Bell would throw money at anything with an Australian accent.

Scouting and development of junior talent has been great for a number of years, although retention of the best talent has been poor at times. Letting Elijah Taylor go to get Todd loving Lowrie more game time is one of the dumbest decisions in recent times and Peta Hiku would be the answer to the problem we've had in the centres since Tate left and Ropati hosed his knee up.

I still believe that coaching is our big weakness. In McFadden's case, he was given a four year contract despite no prior experience and no real competition for his signature- would any other club have given him their first grade head coaching role? The appointment of Matt Elliott before him was similarly messed up, he was supposed to be our coaching director, but Scurrah and Bell hosed up and couldn't find a proper coach so gave the job to Elliott instead.

Agree with all of this.

Who is actually available that could come in though? Cleary?

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011
Looks like Coote will stay with the Cowboys for $1 mil over two years, pretty happy with that

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

BobTheDestroyer posted:

Looks like Coote will stay with the Cowboys for $1 mil over two years, pretty happy with that

That's a loving bargain if you mean $500k per year

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

That's a loving bargain if you mean $500k per year
indeed

third party payments are helping out I bet

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I think Coote/Morgan/JT/Granville might be the best spine in the competition, maybe behind how theoretically good RTS/Lolohea/SJ/Luke should be.

500k is probably about right going by how big the wraps are on this Kalyn Ponga though

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011
I'm expecting to lose Tamou but if Thurston retires in a couple of years it'll make a tonne of room for Coote/Morgan next go around

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

Agree with all of this.

Who is actually available that could come in though? Cleary?

I have always been of the opinion that Cleary is aggressively mediocre. Nothing that happened during his stint at Penrith changed that view. He barely got to a 50% record with us, and he was worse with Penrith.

In terms of obvious replacement options, Toovey is the obvious one, although he probably has his eye on the Wests job and might not want to leave Sydney. Michael Hagan did some good work with Queensland, and since Walters took over he isn't actually part of the staff there now. Kearney merits some consideration, he should have learned something from a few years under Bennett, and failing with Parramatta isn't the black mark we thought it was a few years ago. My wet dream would be to get Daniel Anderson on a two year contract to whip the team into shape, with the understanding that no extension would be forthcoming. He has the proven ability to turn anyone into a winner, although he is also one of the best bridge burners in the business.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My wet dream at the moment is for the tigers to win a game before I die of alcoholism.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

iajanus posted:

My wet dream at the moment is for the tigers to win a game before I die of alcoholism.

Death is Certain

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jono C posted:

I have always been of the opinion that Cleary is aggressively mediocre. Nothing that happened during his stint at Penrith changed that view. He barely got to a 50% record with us, and he was worse with Penrith.

In terms of obvious replacement options, Toovey is the obvious one, although he probably has his eye on the Wests job and might not want to leave Sydney. Michael Hagan did some good work with Queensland, and since Walters took over he isn't actually part of the staff there now. Kearney merits some consideration, he should have learned something from a few years under Bennett, and failing with Parramatta isn't the black mark we thought it was a few years ago. My wet dream would be to get Daniel Anderson on a two year contract to whip the team into shape, with the understanding that no extension would be forthcoming. He has the proven ability to turn anyone into a winner, although he is also one of the best bridge burners in the business.

Toovey to me seems like Ricky Stuart with the Roosters, in that he didn't really make the team that his reputation was built off - and like Stuart, if he didn't have the existing structure there I think he would fail spectacularly as a head coach. Hagan is OK but another Brian Smith or Matt Elliott - you might get to the finals, you might get the wooden spoon, but you probably won't win anything, and he won't leave the team in a better state than when he started. Kearney's decision-making is massively suspect, he was always going to come up short with the Eels team that he had, but a 23% win record is appalling. And he never seemed to realise that you can't just try to coach naturally flamboyant players like you would coach the rigidly boring Storm team he was part of for so long. Anderson seems entrenched with the Eels, and making life difficult for Brad Arthur regularly from the sounds of it, but you're welcome to have him if you want.

Jim Dymock is the guy the Warriors should be targeting for mine - he's had plenty of time as an assistant under a very successful NRL coach, he's had international and NRL experience, he was a possible NSW coaching option prior to Daley, he's got a similar background to a few of the players, and everyone raves about him. And there's no stink of failure hanging around him like Cleary or some of the other names mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

The problem is whoever the new Warriors coach is, he's still going to inherit RTS out for the season and Luke with unavoidable off-field issues having a strong impact on his game. Right now the Warriors are one SJ injury away from being lock-in wooden spooners, imo.

• Locked thread