Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

drat I hope that the whole brother team up bit goes on for a while. These guys have some great chemistry together.

They really do. Especially those moments where they just plain start having fun and laugh while in the middle of beating the poo poo out of some dudes. The huddle right before wading into the drug dealer's thugs was priceless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

bio347 posted:

My initial reactionary thought was Lilith, but that doesn't make sense for any number of reasons. At least one of which doesn't have to do with the comics, even.
The show writers dont seem to care that much about the comics they lifted the title from.

Hopefully its a red herring and "mum" is short for some deity-level prisoner of hell that has a name that has "mum" in it.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

FRINGE posted:

The show writers dont seem to care that much about the comics they lifted the title from.

Hopefully its a red herring and "mum" is short for some deity-level prisoner of hell that has a name that has "mum" in it.

Could be like the thing from the end of the old world of darkness RPGs, Grand Maw into Grandmother (Grand Maw/Grandma)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You know it just occured to me that this is on the same network as Sleepy Hollow. They should totally do a crossover, it would make far more sense than the Bones one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Potooweet posted:

I was expecting him to say "Everyone." or something like that, because he didn't see anyone else when he was in Hell.
Yeah, I was thinking it could be cool to do a Reaper style thing where the crimes they investigate are committed by people who escaped from hell.

I was betting on Cain cause he had that "We are so hosed" :stare: look, and it fit with his brother's reaction about "whoops, taking responsibility for killing these pesky mortals" speech.
Going with the multiple escapees idea, it could have been Cain, Judas, Lilith, Salome, etc. with a different one appearing as the villain each week.

FRINGE posted:

That would probably be about the least stupid option they could go with.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I hope they don't do Lilith. :( Supernatural already went that direction...let's do something orginal.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zebulon posted:

They really do. Especially those moments where they just plain start having fun and laugh while in the middle of beating the poo poo out of some dudes. The huddle right before wading into the drug dealer's thugs was priceless.

Personally my favorite was the funeral scene.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It's definitely Lilith. There's really only two christian mythological beings famous for openly defying god and she's the other one.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Gyges posted:

Personally my favorite was the funeral scene.

Oh god. I died when Amanadiel just awkwardly, politely admitted "He's right, you know." during Lucifer's rant about how the dead guy is gone and doesn't get anything out of the funeral.

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

It's definitely Lilith. There's really only two christian mythological beings famous for openly defying god and she's the other one.

This is part of why I figured it's Lilith. She's also the only one I can think of offhand that two Angels would refer to just as "mom" given the whole mother-of-all-demons thing she has going.. It'd also give Maze something to do, given she's supposed to be the general of the Lilim from what I've heard? Whatever it is, it had Amandiel doing his best "oooooh poo poo" face, and even Lucifer seems to be somewhat concerned by it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, Maze is missing and "Mum" is out, and if it is Lilith (aka mother of all demons), Amenediel is probably thinking "Oh gently caress I just had sex with her daughter and she is gonna be PISSED :stare:"

We kinda need a :stare: with a halo and a :stare: with horns to reflect the show properly...

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Idiotic fan theory: Maze has been redeemed, for saving Amenediel, with Lucifer's feather.

Thoughts?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

Idiotic fan theory: Maze has been redeemed, for saving Amenediel, with Lucifer's feather.

Thoughts?

Thought the same thing too when I saw the light. Not enough to make a call either way but that was my gut reaction.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Enh... I dunno. If "Mum" ends up being Lilith, and Maze is a demon, she might just be the person that broke her out of hell.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Enh... I dunno. If "Mum" ends up being Lilith, and Maze is a demon, she might just be the person that broke her out of hell.

Ooooooo.. I like that.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

The Lord Bude posted:

You know it just occured to me that this is on the same network as Sleepy Hollow. They should totally do a crossover, it would make far more sense than the Bones one.

It would have... had they not cancelled the show.

And as for God and Lilith, couldn't it be a titan? Like Gaia, but with God having taken on many names over the years?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Pan Dulce posted:

And as for God and Lilith, couldn't it be a titan? Like Gaia, but with God having taken on many names over the years?

I can't find any evidence that sleepy hollow has been cancelled. It's still likely, but it hasn't happened yet as far as I can tell.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm leaning towards mum either being entirely made up, or maybe something based on another religion? In the story of course the other religion would be based on her. Shiva? Kali? I don't know enough to make any guesses based on anything but perceived gender. Maybe like some Aztec or Mayan goddess, that would be cool. Eve could be an outlier too. Is she officially in hell for fruit related sins? Either way, that was a fun finale. I like this cheesy show.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Wikipedia tells me that Asherah was the consort of the head of the Canaanite pantheon, El, who more or less was rolled up into the Israelite deity Yahweh.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Pan Dulce posted:

you totally scared me for a second there, thought you were talking about this show

also i thought last episode was the finale so this was a pleasant surprise!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fantastic episode! Also thought Lucifer would reply "everyone" at the end (and geez oh geez what a crappy set they had for what's apparently a super-important bit of Hell! Loved the Auschwitz reference tho) too, but if it turns out to be Lilith, ehh.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Loved the final episode.

I don't think they will do this but I hope they don't have their Mom be revealed as someone we already met. I keep thinking it's going to be the therapist.

Seconding whoever says they want Lucifer and his brother to stick together more. The fight scene was pretty awesome and they do have pretty good chemistry.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Not sold on Lucifer referring to Lilith as "Mum". Lilith would be a great character to do, though. I guess even if Lilith was created long after Lucifer, she could have had free will longer than him and been a mother figure to him after becoming the Mother of Demons after Lucifer first fell. That could work.

The portrayal of hell was pretty great for their budget. Chloe and Dan seeing more clues of supernatural phenomenon is good progression.

Like someone else said, I was wondering if Maze was either consumed in the act of healing Amenadiel, or redeemed by it. The mythology in this show is really unclear. It's not really implied that Mazikeen was an angel, so she's a post-fall "born a demon" being... can she be raised up to heaven? It's not really clear how that would work, but it's presumably possible.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I thought they said that Maze had been following Luci and been close with him since before The Fall.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

'Mom, come meet my new boyfriend!'

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

I thought they said that Maze had been following Luci and been close with him since before The Fall.

Yeah I wasn't sure. It's all very vague. Lucifer and Amenadiel are brothers, and at first I assumed that that's because they were both created by God as angels. But if Maze was an angel, they certainly don't consider her a sister. And while at least one other angel has been mentioned (Uriel), I didn't get the impression that he was their brother.

So maybe things are gonna go a little farther off the Abrahamic rails here and imply that God fathered angels with more than one mother, like something Zeus would do.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Digital Jedi posted:

Loved the final episode.

I don't think they will do this but I hope they don't have their Mom be revealed as someone we already met. I keep thinking it's going to be the therapist.

Seconding whoever says they want Lucifer and his brother to stick together more. The fight scene was pretty awesome and they do have pretty good chemistry.

That would be really awkward. I think it's safe to bet that Lucifer's mum will not be revealed as a lady he's been banging all season. Did she have sex with Amenadiel too? I can't remember now.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Snak posted:

Yeah I wasn't sure. It's all very vague. Lucifer and Amenadiel are brothers, and at first I assumed that that's because they were both created by God as angels. But if Maze was an angel, they certainly don't consider her a sister. And while at least one other angel has been mentioned (Uriel), I didn't get the impression that he was their brother.

So maybe things are gonna go a little farther off the Abrahamic rails here and imply that God fathered angels with more than one mother, like something Zeus would do.

Maze is explicitly a demon, created by Lucifer. I think she's his lead torturer, but that may have been someone saying something about the comic and me getting confused.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Echophonic posted:

Maze is explicitly a demon, created by Lucifer. I think she's his lead torturer, but that may have been someone saying something about the comic and me getting confused.

In the comic Mazikeen is one of the Lillim, a race of magical creatures with various powers as they are children of Lillith and various spirits, lesser gods and demons.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Echophonic posted:

Really? I didn't think the show mentioned her origin. I tried to wiki it and found nothing except that "she's a demon". According to the wiki I found, she was a " Lilim" in the comic, which is a child of Lilith.

Edit: partially beaten.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Could have sworn he said she was a demon at some point. She definitely followed him to LA from hell and I'm reasonably sure he mentioned her being a torturer.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think she said she was a demon. She got that rocking demon face when she was sleep stalking Decker anyway.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Echophonic posted:

Could have sworn he said she was a demon at some point. She definitely followed him to LA from hell and I'm reasonably sure he mentioned her being a torturer.

Yup, at one point he referred to her as 'hell's favorite torturer'.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Season 2 main antagonist:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I think he said mum because she's THE mother (either the first or the mother of demons) and that's just a nickname, not because it's their mom.

"Chloe and Dan seeing more clues of supernatural phenomenon is good progression. "

Clues? He straight up disappeared in front of at least 5 people pointing at him and later out of a room where Dan was in front of the only way out.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

My only disappointment was that Chloe was completely unaffected by seeing Lucifer up and about immediately after being "fatally" gutshot.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He SAID he got better :colbert:

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
I don't read the thread because this is the kind of trashy show you like but don't need to see people making GBS threads on but I hope I wasn't the only one that was hoping he was going to say Hitler.

I knew there was no chance for it but every second of anticipation and thinking was "that would take this show into the loving atmosphere".

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So I've heard a couple of positive things about the finale. Did this show become good? Does it look like another Person of Interest where they Trojan horsed a serialized plot in the guise of a procedural?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The show was always good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Argue posted:

So I've heard a couple of positive things about the finale. Did this show become good? Does it look like another Person of Interest where they Trojan horsed a serialized plot in the guise of a procedural?

The general dynamic has remained the same but it's evolved from "The Devil helps out on crimes because he's bored" to "The Devil is dealing with issues that frequently require him to tangle with the police".

• Locked thread