Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
I just want to watch drag race! C'mon LOGO

AGHHH :byodame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostsYouCanDanceTo
Sep 23, 2005

A part of me wishes Thorgy had lasted to this challenge. It might've been too much for her, but I am very curious to see how she would have reacted.

Amy Sedaris looks so loving gorgeous I feel like there's hope for us all. That was a great judging panel. The only other one that stood out to me like that was Season 5, Episode 2 with Juliette Lewis and Kristen Johnson. I wish they could all be that in-depth. That's the Michelle I think fans want to see: critical, but kind.

LOVED the lip sync. Holy crap, how did it take so long before we had that song? Oh, right. We were waiting for Bob to sell it. Btw, Bob won it when he made a fan from one of his cardboard pieces. I don't know if he knew how crucial the fan was to Sylvester (very likely) or if he just saw Ru's, but that's good instincts either way. Also, no gimmicks, just using his face and his body to hit the emotional notes and SELL the song, dahling. Derrick made a solid effort, :golfclap:, but even if it wasn't her time there's was no going up against that.

I really don't know who the final 3 will be. We could have a final four. It feels that strong across the board.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

S3 top 3 was all POC as well. This show is good at diversity.

Bob was in the bottom SOLELY because they wanted to be absolutely sure Derrick got handed his walking papers, mark my words. He will not be missed.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

spite house posted:

Bob was in the bottom SOLELY because they wanted to be absolutely sure Derrick got handed his walking papers, mark my words. He will not be missed.

Eh, in terms of the challenge, it was fitting for him to be in the bottom two. No way did he do better than the other three overall.

As much as I love Amy Sedaris and SWC, that Jerri Blank skit was weird.

Did anyone get a little Jinkx Monsoon from Derrick's last look? That's not a compliment.

PostsYouCanDanceTo
Sep 23, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

Did anyone get a little Jinkx Monsoon from Derrick's last look? That's not a compliment.

I got hosed up Rita Hayworth, so yes.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
That lipsync was everything. Way to sell the song like Jinkx! I was a bit dissapointed that Bob didn't use a lot of pages, but boy am I happy he sent Derrick home. :byewhore: Best usage of humor, and attention to detail in a lipsync by far this season imo.

Derrick didn't really wow me. That :mediocre: paint job and upgraded bathing suit was not doing it for me. I did like that he tried to get out of that Britney box, but he should have done that after the first episode. Get to know you, boo. Be Derrick Barry.

(^^ I kind of want this as my avatar, without the text :dance:)

Naomi's paint jobs are wearing thin on me, and that paper dress reminded me structurally of the scarecrow outfit. The baby drag look was okay, but it didn't wow me as much as the others. We get it, you're a supermodel. The drama between Naomi and Derrick tho... Woof.

Chi Chi's paper look was everything. I loved that Chi Chi played with not only texture, but really sold the look without having to color the pages. Way to go, please bring more of that confidence next week!

Kim Chi's motherly drag was so very sad. When your mother is overly critical, it sucks. Parents should always be close with their children. I did feel however that Kim Chi stole that win. Chi Chi's seemed like it was going to win for sure, but Kim Chi really did convey his feelings on the runway. Too real.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Good lord, what an episode. Various reactions:

Mini-purse was the best thing ever.

That seemed drat close to erupting in violence at a few points.

Kim Chi's makeup worked for all her other looks, but in the Strangers With Candy bit she looked like a triggerfish.

loving hell, who knew Bob had moves like that?

Derrick really did try, but at some level never really seemed to understand what the judges weren't seeing, or didn't understand how to deliver it. Just not on par with the Final Four. If future seasons do bring a queen back, I'd like to see where Derrick is a year or two after this experience.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That's why Derrick had my sympathy, because it always seemed not like he was unwilling to listen to the judges critiques, but that he just didn't understand what they were saying or how to do any of the things they asked of him.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Ooooooooof. That was a difficult episode to watch. That was just classic bullying behavior right there, Derrick just really going for the one queen she (incorrectly) thought was weaker than herself. If she had just been accurate, or funny with her reads it would have been something at least, but it was just painful to watch. I don't believe for a second that Derrick was genuine when she said that she was having some light hearted fun, she was trying to demoralize Naomi and psych her out, and I'm glad that she didn't seem to succeed in that.

But, what a fantastic runway. I really had no clue who was going to take the win this week, the competition has gotten to be that tight.

And David and Amy Sedaris really need to be there every season. What a delight.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

That was an A+ episode. Cattiness! Creative dresses! Insightful guest judges! Good lipsync! Glad the season picked itself back up from Snatch Game.

I personally liked Kim Chi's Extravaganza look the least out of this week's top three, it looks a little bit "art and craft" compared to Naomi or Chi Chi (though it was still a bit close). But she was the only one that told a story, and her second look was so beautiful and melancholic, which is what I think sealed her win. I'm also liking Naomi a lot, lot more now that she gets ample screentime. She's talented, intelligent, charming, and just seems like someone you'd like to hang out with.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I would be fine with Chi Chi, Bob, or Kim Chi winning. Personal favorite is Bob, but honestly, those 3 are all so awesome in completely different ways.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Mouse Dresser posted:

I would be fine with Chi Chi, Bob, or Kim Chi winning. Personal favorite is Bob, but honestly, those 3 are all so awesome in completely different ways.
Seriously. I mean, I have my order within that group of three but they're all loving talented in their own way and they all interpret drag differently but interestingly.

Momchat totally made me all teary and I am embarrassed by that. Don't get high at 8am and watch Drag Race!

This episode was basically perfect in that someone who needed to go home went home, there was ~*emotion*~, good runway looks, bad runway looks, and really good guest judges.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Kim Chi's second look wasn't included in the version of the episode on Logo's website -- are there any pictures anywhere? I can't find any

Edit: Never mind -- I was apparently not paying attention when they showed it.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 26, 2016

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Rewatched and am now convinced that Derrick's serial-killer-wall corset was one of the worst, if not THE worst, looks ever on this whole show.

(This season is turning me into a Drag Race Bill Walton)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Aerox posted:

Kim Chi's second look wasn't included in the version of the episode on Logo's website -- are there any pictures anywhere? I can't find any

Edit: Never mind -- I was apparently not paying attention when they showed it.

That was my favorite look, and Kim Chi has posted professional photos of it on her Instagram.

Thank God Derrick is gone (and she really should have gone through her Drag Journey long before this show) but I love every single one of the top 4, yay!

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Holy poo poo that drama in the workroom. I had the same reaction as Kim Chi during the scene. "popcorn..." (I totally need a gif of that.)

I was really surprised on how glamorous Chi Chi looked in her third outfit. While I'm really happy Kim Chi won the challenge, I wouldn't have been upset if Chi Chi won. I feel like this episode got the results correct.

Next week is gonna suck because this season has such a decent final 4. I've been rooting for Kim Chi since the start, and I think Bob deserves to be in the finale, but I'm still debating on if Chi Chi or Naomi should be in the final 3 more.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

spite house posted:

Rewatched and am now convinced that Derrick's serial-killer-wall corset was one of the worst, if not THE worst, looks ever on this whole show.

Yeah, and the more she loved it, defended it, and talked about the time she spent on it, the more I just felt really sad for her. Like to the point where I was torn between "I hope she has the self-awareness one day to understand how to do better" and "I hope she never has the self-awareness to see how hard she defended something that is so uninspired and poorly done".

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

blizzardvizard posted:

That was an A+ episode. Cattiness! Creative dresses! Insightful guest judges! Good lipsync! Glad the season picked itself back up from Snatch Game.

I personally liked Kim Chi's Extravaganza look the least out of this week's top three, it looks a little bit "art and craft" compared to Naomi or Chi Chi (though it was still a bit close). But she was the only one that told a story, and her second look was so beautiful and melancholic, which is what I think sealed her win. I'm also liking Naomi a lot, lot more now that she gets ample screentime. She's talented, intelligent, charming, and just seems like someone you'd like to hang out with.

I actually feel the same way about Kim Chi's booklook, I loved the flower head piece, but the bottom, while having great structure, felt meh to me. But I didn't hate it, and her story plus her mama drag really earned her the win. Naomi's look was gorgeous too, I loved her mama drag a lot, it was such a beautiful, classic look.

I think I would have liked to see Chi Chi win this challenge, but I can't be mad at Kim Chi winning it. I just liked Chi Chi's Extravaganza look a lot more, I loved how spiky and complete it looked.

I actually liked the way Bob looked. I liked the color of her dress a lot and I think it looked pretty cute. I know why Bob was in the bottom, they needed someone to send Derrick home and they couldn't reasonably put any of the other three in the bottom. I loved the hair she did for this challenge.

Derrick looked like Jinx Monsoon wearing a knockoff Joslyn Fox outfit. The look was bad. I can't believe she kept wearing the same goddamn bodysuit look in every loving design challenge. Not sad to see her go, her attitude in the workroom really turned me off. Girl just did Britney in the lip sync...again.

What an emotional episode though. I related to Kim Chi a lot, being afraid to be vulnerable in front of her mom. Ugh, and Bob and Naomi crying over how much they love their moms, gently caress off!! It was too much for my little high brain.

At this point, I'd be happy with any of the top four winning. I think this is the first season where I like all of them.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I wanna learn more about Naomi's family. Are they like the anti-Duggars or something?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

gandlethorpe posted:

I wanna learn more about Naomi's family. Are they like the anti-Duggars or something?

They seem really awesome. They've been posting photos of baby Naomi all over the Rupaulsdragrace subreddit today.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I actually feel the same way about Kim Chi's booklook, I loved the flower head piece, but the bottom, while having great structure, felt meh to me. But I didn't hate it, and her story plus her mama drag really earned her the win. Naomi's look was gorgeous too, I loved her mama drag a lot, it was such a beautiful, classic look.

I think I would have liked to see Chi Chi win this challenge, but I can't be mad at Kim Chi winning it. I just liked Chi Chi's Extravaganza look a lot more, I loved how spiky and complete it looked.

I actually liked the way Bob looked. I liked the color of her dress a lot and I think it looked pretty cute. I know why Bob was in the bottom, they needed someone to send Derrick home and they couldn't reasonably put any of the other three in the bottom. I loved the hair she did for this challenge.

Derrick looked like Jinx Monsoon wearing a knockoff Joslyn Fox outfit. The look was bad. I can't believe she kept wearing the same goddamn bodysuit look in every loving design challenge. Not sad to see her go, her attitude in the workroom really turned me off. Girl just did Britney in the lip sync...again.

What an emotional episode though. I related to Kim Chi a lot, being afraid to be vulnerable in front of her mom. Ugh, and Bob and Naomi crying over how much they love their moms, gently caress off!! It was too much for my little high brain.

At this point, I'd be happy with any of the top four winning. I think this is the first season where I like all of them.

I really liked Bob's look too. I definitely get why she was in the bottom and everyone (save Derrick) looked better but Bob's whole demeanor changed with this look and I loved it. Also who knew she had legs?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I loved watching Bob wrap duct tape around his head during Untucked. I thought Chi Chi should have won the challenge, but Kim Chi also looked great. I agree that this season is the first time I've liked the entire top 4.

lmao at the crew member in Untucked walking in to give the 'five minute warning' PURSE FIRST

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

It so weird. Looking back on it, the first episode I hated Naomi Smalls, wanted her to go. Slowly but surely, she went up the ranks. Hell, I ranked three out of the top four as my favorites. CLF was the other :smith:

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

Pan Dulce posted:

It so weird. Looking back on it, the first episode I hated Naomi Smalls, wanted her to go. Slowly but surely, she went up the ranks. Hell, I ranked three out of the top four as my favorites. CLF was the other :smith:

Yeah, I'm normally not a big fan of the Naomi Smalls/Gia Gunn types, but she's won me over this season. She's a lot wittier than the glamour queens tend to be.

My dream top 4 was Kim Chi, BTDQ, CLF and Thorgy. I'm glad my two favorites managed to make it at least.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I posted several times about how I wished Miss "Panties and a Bra" Smalls would just go home already, but she totally took the critiques to heart and her last couple runways have been great.

I wish the judges and other queens would have called her out earlier on the predictable runway and relying on that bod, because then we'd have had top-tier contender Naomi for more than two episodes.

Chi Chi, this is why you should put in all your available time and effort and not slack off like during the makeover episode. If she keeps up the quality of her book look she might beat Bob for the crown. Ru looooooves a ghetto queen and Chi Chi is pretty funny/witty, can construct a garment when she applies herself, and them dance moves.

Good loving riddance, Britney. She stayed several episodes too long bitching about how she SEWED a piece of fabric onto that corset, and she was up ALL NIGHT gluing pictures to that corset. I respect her Derrick Barry impressions and her successful Vegas career, but you have to actually know the basics of drag to do well on this show. This ain't Ru Paul's Best Effort Race, particularly when your effort is garbage.

Bob called it early in the season, Derrick likes to project all his insecurities by throwing shady comments but can't handle other queens bringing it right (and accurately) back.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Chi Chi is just the best. :allears:

Who was it in a past season that they said had the worst runway outfit ever? Was that season 6?

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 27, 2016

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Capsaicin posted:

JokesJokesJokesJokesJokesJokesJokes.

Capsaicin posted:

Who was it in a past season that they said had the worst runway outfit ever? Was that season 6?
Latrice's brown upholstery broken bead outfit?

EDIT: Yay! Kim Chi totally losing her poo poo over Amy Sedaris.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 27, 2016

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Capsaicin posted:

Nothing will ever top the dead chicken glamazon disaster outfit.

PostsYouCanDanceTo
Sep 23, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

I think you're referring to season 5, where Santino said Alyssa had the worst look ever in the Telenovela challenge.

Miz Kriss posted:

True dat.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Miz Kriss posted:

I love it solely for the explanation that came after. Because of that, it became brilliant.

I think the worst is Darienne's Glitter Ball beaded Jabba slave girl nude garbage dress with saggy crotch

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I love how RuPaul clearly doesn't want to call for SILEEEENCE, she just wants to hear everyone being really thoughtful about the queens, all :allears:.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

vaginadeathgrip posted:

I think the worst is Darienne's Glitter Ball beaded Jabba slave girl nude garbage dress with saggy crotch

That's always what I think of as the worst looks. I don't know if a garment exists that could be more unflattering than that brown saggy-but-still-too-tight moo moo.

I get what Santino was trying to say, that being that Alyssa's dress was the worst actual store-bought dress on the runway, I just don't think I agree.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'm not a big Bob fan but that lip sync to "Mighty Real" was really good. And now that Chi Chi and Naomi are making better looks that is a pretty good top 4 overall.

Derrick looked such a mess though that she should have been LSFYLing alone. That book-look was criminally bad.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Did anyone else think that Ru's paint was a bit hard this runway?

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011

Bina posted:

I noticed that! I also wasn't a fan of that wig, but I think that's just personal preference.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Bina posted:

Not just you. I kinda wondered if she and Mathu were in a fight.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I know this isn't the right show, but I figured there has to be some crossover appeal, and if anyone can answer it, you guys might be the ones.

Erika Jayne from Real Housewives of Beverly Hills: she wears a wig, right? It looks like it's coming up around the edges of her face sometimes during her testimonials.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
As soon as I saw Derrick just doing a Britney Spears performance during LSFYL instead of something interesting or appropriate for the song I knew she was done. Team Bob all the way.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I haven't been to too many drag shows, but I'm assuming that Bob scheduling two Portland shows on a Sunday at 3 AM and 11 AM is insane, right? It seems insane.

Let's get legally high and see Bob on a Sunday before noon! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

caligulamprey posted:

I haven't been to too many drag shows, but I'm assuming that Bob scheduling two Portland shows on a Sunday at 3 AM and 11 AM is insane, right? It seems insane.

Let's get legally high and see Bob on a Sunday before noon! :getin:

From talking to Willam, it's INSANE how hard these queens go during their moment. Because they know it's kind of temporary.

Btw Spite House, check out this lineup for Friday

quote:

◄ CHRISTEENE (Hell)
◄ PEACHES CHRIST (San Francisco)
◄ CHEDDAR GORGEOUS (Manchester, UK)
◄ BIBLE GIRL (NYC)
◄ INFAMOUS BOOM BOOM
◄ MERRIE CHERRY (Brooklyn NYC)
◄ RIDGE GALLAGHER (Los Angeles)
◄ ANNA PHYLACTIC (Manchester, UK)
◄ SAINT PETER DVIL (Los Angeles)
◄ CUPCAKE (Austin)

Cupcake, if you'll remember, was that drag queen pretending to be the easter bunny. It's going to be awful.

• Locked thread