Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I use whitepages caller id. Works fine.

The ideal solution would come from the carrier, but carriers suck so here we are.

Thanks for this recommendation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Tapet was mentioned a few times in this thread and I just wanted to say thank you and that it's awesome.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Regretful Humming posted:

So Signal is a good alternative to WhatsApp?

WhatsApp and Signal use the same encryption, implemented by the same guy.

The difference is only in how tightly you wear your tinfoil hat, WhatsApp is closed source and Signal is open. WhatsApp will never be audited and you have no assurance that it is secure.

And as Whizbang pointed out, it's all worthless against state actors anyway. You've probably got bigger issues if the NSA is after you though.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
Oh, cool! Thanks.

Haha yeah, I was curious about the comparison. My tinfoil hat is pretty loose.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Thermopyle posted:

The ideal solution would come from the carrier, but carriers suck so here we are.
Hold on-- Sprint has carrier-level call blocking (and it works well IME), you're telling me that Sprint does something better than other carriers? :vince:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon let's you block 5 numbers for 90 days for free. If you want to block more or don't want them to reset after 90 days, you have to pay.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I was pretty happy when Google Play Music started supporting podcasts, except for the design decision to make the next and previous track button on both the app itself as well as when it's being used with Android Auto actually skip to the next podcast episode instead of skipping ahead 30 seconds or reverse 10 seconds. This is especially annoying with Android Auto, where my cars physical buttons do the same thing with it, so if I want to jump ahead 30 seconds I have to go into a second menu on screen to do it, which sucks even more if you are on the center home screen and not the actual Music app screen. What the hell. I guess I'll be sticking with Pocket Casts.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I don't even have the version with podcasts yet and I'm on a N6P

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I've got the new app and still no podcasts. Flip the fuckin' switch, Google.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yup, same here, new app, they show up in the web interface and I've even been able to add subs, but no app support yet.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I like the podcast categories and how I can just pick a category and start driving. Skipping podcasts is great for this since a bunch of them are really terrible but generally a button press should skip x seconds and a button hold should skip to the next podcast. I'm sure Google will fix this by 2019 shortly before they kill the entire product.

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.
In PocketCasts, is there a way to make external bluetooth controls skip to the next track in "Up Next" instead of skipping ahead 30 seconds in the current podcast?

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

All kinds of stuff.

Thanks for taking the time to type all that out. I do get that there's a level of trust that's necessary, and I just want to minimise what Google/Facebook/etc. gets, without overly handicapping myself at the same time. I hung on to old-school nokia phones until only very recently when the last one died. Nobody's stealing your contact list/photos from those things (OTA, anyway).
I don't need to have absolutely secure communication, but I sure would opt for it if it was down to a choice between two otherwise equal options.

Thanks for that. Signal looks pretty bang on.

fishmech posted:

You know they can already do that with your texts right?

Yeah, that's always been somewhat disconcerting. And mentioned a few times now too.
Life would be a lot more difficult without SMS unfortunately - the ubiquitous compatibility of it is its primary feature.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Fenix is dead. Out of tokens. That's a shame.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Well, there's always Talon.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I might be stretching looking for this type of app but figured I'd ask.

I work at a grocery store as the assistant manager, we have monitored refrigeration cases, if they get out of whack I get a phone call. Which if fine but it literally is just a robo call that calls you and hangs up when you answer, and if you don't answer it calls the next person.

Is there an app that would let me auto answer just that one numbers call and give me an alert that they called?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

hotsauce posted:

I don't understand this. Does that mean no new accounts added or you literally can't use it anymore? I've only used Twitter's API a tiny bit for work.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
You cannot add new accounts to the app. Twitter has limited each app to something like 100,000 API accounts and when that is full they cannot authenticate a new account with Twitters servers. Tweetbots had that problem before but I think he occasionally purges inactive users, plus he tends to release major versions of the app as all new apps like Tweetbot 4 to allow in new users.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Ok, that makes sense because it still works for me. What's stopping the dev from just generating another set of API tokens to use for more accounts? Probably against their TOS or something? What a weird limit to have.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Squish posted:

Nobody's stealing your contact list/photos from those things (OTA, anyway).

If you must: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nuvolect.crypsafe&hl=en

I've not used it but it looks like what you want.

Also, just wondering if you use 2048bit or 4096bit PGP Keys?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mogomra posted:

Ok, that makes sense because it still works for me. What's stopping the dev from just generating another set of API tokens to use for more accounts? Probably against their TOS or something? What a weird limit to have.

Twitter. They refuse to give out any more, because they want everyone to use their lovely app, instead of awesome 3rd party apps.

There's actually a way around it, though. You can enable developer mode on your Twitter account, and generate your own API code. It's what Talon uses to get around the limit.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

There's actually a way around it, though. You can enable developer mode on your Twitter account, and generate your own API code. It's what Talon uses to get around the limit.

I've generated like 5 API codes on my work account to run reports hitting endpoints with absurd rate limits. I just split up the work between the different creds. Wouldn't Talon/Falcon be able to do that? I wonder if my work Twitter account is gonna get disabled or something!

E: that's the REST API, I don't know if Android Twitter clients use a different API.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Heners_UK posted:

Also, just wondering if you use 2048bit or 4096bit PGP Keys?

Interesting. I'll check that out. Thank you.

I don't send anything by email that I would not put on a postcard.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Heners_UK posted:

If you must: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nuvolect.crypsafe&hl=en

I've not used it but it looks like what you want.

I like green edging on everything to make you feel like a hacker

E: oh wow does it really come with a matrix theme or is that just the guys phone on the screenshots?

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
What are (if there are) any good Android emulators for Windows? I thought I heard Andy was good, but I've also heard that it has a bunch of bloatware that it installs. Any suggestions?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Finagle posted:

What are (if there are) any good Android emulators for Windows? I thought I heard Andy was good, but I've also heard that it has a bunch of bloatware that it installs. Any suggestions?

Free: VirtualBox + Android x86
Option to pay or bloat: Bluestacks
Paid, really, really paid: GenyMotion

jfrancis
Nov 7, 2005

I look smarter than I am.

Finagle posted:

The one that's really worked well for me is http://www.amiduos.com/#. It's paid but worth it. All the free options are varying degrees of poo poo.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Been using Metal for Facebook replacement and it's great, but they recently switched the messenger to some new garbage setup that is really laggy, will accept touchscreen input from behind the keyboard and just sucks in general.

Any ideas on how to fix or what my next replacement should be?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You can go into Metals preferences and turn off the new UI.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Oh thanks I didn't notice since it needed a restart. This is so much better.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Finagle posted:

Nox is a great emulator and free. Bluestacks is a good app player.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 26, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What app would I use to send youtube and netflix and hulu URLs to an android or iOS tablet?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

What app would I use to send youtube and netflix and hulu URLs to an android or iOS tablet?

I use Join to send things between Android devices and computers but I don't know what things people use on iOS to do things.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Cardboard Box A posted:

I use Telegram with my friends so I also sometimes use it to send links to myself.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I should clarify, I mean send these URLs and have the android or iOS device open the youtube/netflix/hulu app and start playback.

I read there was a chromecast emulator for android and iOS and then google killed it or something?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

I should clarify, I mean send these URLs and have the android or iOS device open the youtube/netflix/hulu app and start playback.

I read there was a chromecast emulator for android and iOS and then google killed it or something?

You want the device to automatically open the URL as soon as it shows up on the device? You might be able to do that on Android with Pushbullet and Tasker, but I don't think there's any way to do something like that on iOS, even being jailbroken...

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

You want the device to automatically open the URL as soon as it shows up on the device? You might be able to do that on Android with Pushbullet and Tasker, but I don't think there's any way to do something like that on iOS, even being jailbroken...

it definitely works using join on android

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Though I could only get it to work if the screen was on using Join. If the screen was off it just gave me a notification I could hit to open it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

After seeing Join mentioned here I went to check it out and one of the early screens mentioned turning on "accessibility settings" so I tap on that, hit the button and get a warning that doing so will prevent screen lock from "enhancing my encryption". Short version of what that means and whether I want to do it? (5x if that matters.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
OK just to clarify, this is the join by joaoapps, not the one by logmein?