Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Pretty good deal on those irons mate. I recommend the Odyssey No. 7 putter. I'm in love with mine and have had it for years. Should be fairly cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
So I officially have 2 full bags, and I'm keeping the older set at my parents' house so I don't have to drag my clubs back in forth if I play down there.

Current bag:

Driver: Cobra F6+ Driver with Matrix Black Tie 65m4 Stiff shaft. (Should be arriving Thursday. So freaking pumped.)
3 Wood: Adams Tight Lies 16 degree
3 Hybrid: Nickent 3DX RC (20 degrees?)
3i - PW: Cobra S3 Pro Combos (3i - 6i cavity, 7i -PW blade) with DG x100 shafts, soft stepped once.
GW: Scratch 50 degree wedge
SW/LW: Cleveland 588 RTX 58 degree
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2
Ball: Nike RZN Platinum

Backup Bag:
Driver: Cobra Amp Cell with Grafalloy Epic shaft
3W: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5 degrees
Hybrid: 20 degree Cleveland hybrid (dunno how old)
4i - PW: Cobra Pro MB (no cavity backs :O )
GW: Adams Tight Lies 52 degree wedge (lol)
SW: Cleveland DSG RTG+ 58 degree wedge
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Putter

I've never hit the backup hybrid, only hit the backup 3w once, and I played the 58* once but gave it up because I was SURE it was the club's fault for my repeated greenside shanks. Everything else in the bag is trusted.

BUT WHAT IF I LOVE MY BACKUP BAG EVEN MORE?!

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Kameh posted:

So I officially have 2 full bags, and I'm keeping the older set at my parents' house so I don't have to drag my clubs back in forth if I play down there.

I do the exact same thing. I bought a backup set off golfwrx or ebay a few years ago, so I have 2 identical sets of 690 MBs and I keep one at my parent's house. Sometimes I swear I hit one set sweeter than the other even though the shafts lofts and lies are all identical, it can be a little maddening. Or I'll hit my old driver setup and wonder why I switched. Saves a lot of hassle though, and I always play a round or two with my dad when I visit.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I kind of wish I could fit a 3hy back into my bag, but I couldn't drop my 54 degree wedge. Kameh what kind of yardages are your 50 and 58 degrees on full swings?

I may end up taking my 3W or 3i out for a hybrid again instead. Every time I try hitting my 3w it ends badly, unless I've been to the range recently and worked on it a lot. Unfortunately none of the courses I play at regularly have their own range so I only go to one a few times a year. I don't have the best track record with hybrids either (hit them okay for a while but then start dealing with bad hooks and pushes at the same time which is no bueno) but it's still more reliable than my 3w.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

I kind of wish I could fit a 3hy back into my bag, but I couldn't drop my 54 degree wedge. Kameh what kind of yardages are your 50 and 58 degrees on full swings?

58* - 100 yards, MAX 105 (but that's asking a lot). I use the 58* for anything from 100 yards in, including chips around the green.

My 50 degree is MAYBE 125, but it's hardly been going 120 recently. Need to get some gainz. I don't play with a ton of backspin (flying it past and spinning it back), so these are pretty much drop and stop yardages.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Sounds just like me, 100-105 and 125 for them. I find myself with 110-115 yards a lot, but the courses I play are relatively short, so the 54 gets used at least a few times per round.

I use my 58 for literally everything under 100 as well, unless I've got a punch-out or something. I've tried chipping with other clubs before but I'm so much more consistent with the 58 and just delofting it a ton depending on the situation. Yet another thing I feel like I should work on but can't bring myself to do.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
These days my 58 is only for <40yds, 54 <100 yds, 50 <110 yds, much safer for me. If playing on the coast/wind I can knock down a 8 iron right at 100yds too.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
With any club other than my 58*, I put awful swings on less than 60-90% shots. My timing gets off, or my weight doesn't shift properly, and my miss is usually a shank.

With that 58*, I have no trouble pulling off swings for certain yardages based on swinging to clock positions (9, 10, 11, and so on).

That being said, I can hit a 7 iron 100 yards without a lot of roll out. That's useful if I'm in the trees.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

Current bag:

Driver: Cobra F6+ Driver with Matrix Black Tie 65m4 Stiff shaft. (Should be arriving Thursday. So freaking pumped.)

I picked up one of these last week in the "Gray Turbulence" color, the one with the green accents.

I'm really liking it so far, it's a lot more forgiving than my previous driver, a Cobra ZL Encore. Currently have the weight shifted all the way back with the loft at 10.5 which has been helping me get the ball up the air better with no real noticeable loss in distance. The ball really seems to explode off of the face when you hit it square.

It's also the first driver I've bought as a current model so that may have something to do with it.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Anyone have a recommendation for a carry/stand bag that would also play nice with a push cart? I've been rocking an old small staff bag for a long time but am after something a little lighter with the option to carry for quick 9 hole games or the full 18 in winter. Being in Australia summer carrying is a fools game. I've been looking at the ping hoofer 14 as it doesn't seem to have an external mechanism like the titleist, Ogio or sun mountain bags.

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 27, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kameh posted:

Current bag:

3 Wood: Adams Tight Lies 16 degree
3 Hybrid: Nickent 3DX RC (20 degrees?)
3i - PW: Cobra S3 Pro Combos (3i - 6i cavity, 7i -PW blade) with DG x100 shafts, soft stepped once.
GW: Scratch 50 degree wedge
SW/LW: Cleveland 588 RTX 58 degree
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Backup Bag:
Driver: Cobra Amp Cell with Grafalloy Epic shaft
3W: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5 degrees
Hybrid: 20 degree Cleveland hybrid (dunno how old)
4i - PW: Cobra Pro MB (no cavity backs :O )
GW: Adams Tight Lies 52 degree wedge (lol)
SW: Cleveland DSG RTG+ 58 degree wedge
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Putter

I've never hit the backup hybrid, only hit the backup 3w once, and I played the 58* once but gave it up because I was SURE it was the club's fault for my repeated greenside shanks. Everything else in the bag is trusted.

You and my dad would get along great since he is in the exact same situation right now. :v:

First round of the year: 112. With a 13 on a par 4 and a 12 on a par 5. So not all bad but man when I get myself in trouble I sure do it with style and very well. Im all over the place off the tee block trying to figure out the new driver and my long fairway shots are slicing like crazy, but in a strange twist my 100 and under game was spot on and I didnt 3 putt a single hole and was chipping within 10 feet consistently.

6 months of winter do not help build any kind of consistency. :canada:

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Had my first round of the year this weekend as well. Shoot an okay 90 for an easy muni course. Still can not hit the driver to save me, but my new 3 wood was getting crushed.

Have been browsing around and was wondering if any one has experience putting in a graphite hybrid shaft on long irons? I have an old 21* Mizuno Fli-Hi that I may swap the shaft if I can find a good one. Was thinking about the Adlida RIP hybrid shafts, but I have no idea as I have never owned a hybrid.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

I picked up one of these last week in the "Gray Turbulence" color, the one with the green accents.

I'm really liking it so far, it's a lot more forgiving than my previous driver, a Cobra ZL Encore. Currently have the weight shifted all the way back with the loft at 10.5 which has been helping me get the ball up the air better with no real noticeable loss in distance. The ball really seems to explode off of the face when you hit it square.

It's also the first driver I've bought as a current model so that may have something to do with it.

I wanted the Turbulence color pretty badly, but I was able to snag a brand new white one for 40 bucks less ($249 shipped with headcover and tool included).

I'm really looking forward to trying it.

Unknownmass posted:

Had my first round of the year this weekend as well. Shoot an okay 90 for an easy muni course. Still can not hit the driver to save me, but my new 3 wood was getting crushed.

Have been browsing around and was wondering if any one has experience putting in a graphite hybrid shaft on long irons? I have an old 21* Mizuno Fli-Hi that I may swap the shaft if I can find a good one. Was thinking about the Adlida RIP hybrid shafts, but I have no idea as I have never owned a hybrid.

I installed a RIP shaft in a driver a few years back. It's a solid shaft, but it's a lower-trajectory shaft (IIRC).

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Dimebag posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a carry/stand bag that would also play nice with a push cart?

I like my Four 5 on a push cart and carry it too. I'm pretty sure I considered the Hoofer 14 before buying, I can't remember how I made the decision.

Edit: what's an external mechanism?

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

sarehu posted:

I like my Four 5 on a push cart and carry it too. I'm pretty sure I considered the Hoofer 14 before buying, I can't remember how I made the decision.

Edit: what's an external mechanism?

I may have phrased it incorrectly but the hoofer seems to use the base of the bag to shift which kicks out the legs. The titleist and sun mountain appear to have a section of the base cut away with a foot which kicks the legs out. Looking at images it would mean getting it onto the cart would be a little more trouble than with the hoofer. That's all I meant by external mechanism.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I know mine has a Velcro strap which locks the retractable legs. Using this its easy to transport in and out of carts/buggies.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In summary, the Hoofer is the greatest bag of all time. :colbert:

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

In summary, the Hoofer is the greatest bag of all time. :colbert:

Sold. I was leaning that way from the start but I've been convinced. Flat black hoofer 14 it is.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I think the reason I preferred the Sun Mountain over any Ping option was the comfort of the straps. Also the Four 5 lets you lock the legs too. The part sticking out of the base isn't any extra mechanism, it's just the base that sticks out to give some leverage. Edit: You know what maybe it is extra, and now I'm going to have to check tomorrow.

sarehu fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 28, 2016

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

sarehu posted:

I think the reason I preferred the Sun Mountain over any Ping option was the comfort of the straps. Also the Four 5 lets you lock the legs too. The part sticking out of the base isn't any extra mechanism, it's just the base that sticks out to give some leverage.

The only problem with sun mountain is that they are hard to come by in Australia. Titleist and Ping bags you can get from most golf retailers but sun mountain I would need to order online from the US which takes the price with shipping over what the Hoofer would cost. I believe that sun mountain makes the titleist bags correct?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I wish I had played more when I was younger. I played from age 20 to 24, took a 20 year break and now I'm into my second year back at age 46. It's really hard to improve at this game when you start so late.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Dimebag posted:

The only problem with sun mountain is that they are hard to come by in Australia. Titleist and Ping bags you can get from most golf retailers but sun mountain I would need to order online from the US which takes the price with shipping over what the Hoofer would cost. I believe that sun mountain makes the titleist bags correct?

Hey I'd just get one of those then. I'd probably prefer the Titliest 14's strap, but that's something to see for yourself, maybe check how far down the club dividers go, too.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

daslog posted:

I wish I had played more when I was younger. I played from age 20 to 24, took a 20 year break and now I'm into my second year back at age 46. It's really hard to improve at this game when you start so late.

I feel the same way and I'm 28! Played soccer year round as a kid, only got into golf a few years ago.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Suprfli6 posted:

I feel the same way and I'm 28! Played soccer year round as a kid, only got into golf a few years ago.

Shot a 94 today. (legit 94 too). That's one of my best rounds ever, so maybe I'm full of poo poo.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Managed to walk an entire 18 for the first time this year, and my ankle doesn't even feel that bad. So I'm definitely making progress on that front, now I just need to stop hooking the poo poo out of my irons and driver.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Just got home from shooting a new personal best +5 77. Man am I in a good mood.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Nice dude - congrats. Where at?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

BCRock posted:

Nice dude - congrats. Where at?

Woodley Widely Lakes

http://golf.lacity.org/cdp_woodley.htm

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Still counts! I love Woodley because it's impossible to lose a golf ball on that course.

That's actually where I do 90% of my practice because they have a grass range and a decent chipping green/bunker setup. Also, Jim Brown and Smokey Robinson hang out at the range there most days.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

BCRock posted:

Still counts! I love Woodley because it's impossible to lose a golf ball on that course.

That's actually where I do 90% of my practice because they have a grass range and a decent chipping green/bunker setup. Also, Jim Brown and Smokey Robinson hang out at the range there most days.

Wait, THE Jim Brown, cause uh I'm from Syracuse so loving him is sorta built in to my genetics...

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Yup, that Jim Brown.

He's at Woodley/Encino/Balboa all the time.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Dimebag posted:

Just on the hunt for a 17 degree hybrid and new putter to replace my ancient Odyssey Rossie II. Also looking for a new carry bag and am tossing up either a Titleist sta-dry or a Ping Hoofer 14, any recommendations for either bag?

Halo14 posted:

Pretty good deal on those irons mate. I recommend the Odyssey No. 7 putter. I'm in love with mine and have had it for years. Should be fairly cheap.

Hey Dimebag,

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1327864-like-new-odyssey-works-versa-7-with-upgraded-grip/

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Oh thats tempting, well have to see how long it's up for as I just snagged some new golf shoes and a g25 hybrid on ebay. If I spend anymore on golf this fortnight I may end up divorced. At this stage I may keep my old dual force Rossie II for a few more months then go down the scotty cameron rabbit hole.

I was on the hunt for some stuff on golfwrx but either they will only ship conus or if they don't specify I tend to find I don't get a response if I pm to ask if they will ship to Australia. So not a great amount of luck on there so far, but I'll try again when I am grabbing a 3 wood and putter in a few months.

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 2, 2016

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

BCRock posted:

Yup, that Jim Brown.

He's at Woodley/Encino/Balboa all the time.

Celebs on city courses is the best.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Wells Fargo Championship week here in the QC! Looks like rain is going to let up just in time to dry out the course. Will be out there Friday and Saturday watching dudes hit their balls.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Apparently Adidas is trying to exit the golf equipment industry, and is looking for buyers for Taylormade, Adams and Ashworth. Can't say I'm surprised, it didn't seem like their product cycles were sustainable. I have been wanting to try out an M1 though, maybe deep discounts are in our future? Ashworth polos are nice too even though they never fit me quite right since they don't do Tall sizes.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Suprfli6 posted:

Apparently Adidas is trying to exit the golf equipment industry, and is looking for buyers for Taylormade, Adams and Ashworth. Can't say I'm surprised, it didn't seem like their product cycles were sustainable. I have been wanting to try out an M1 though, maybe deep discounts are in our future? Ashworth polos are nice too even though they never fit me quite right since they don't do Tall sizes.

Source on this?

M1 driver is actually pretty nice. poo poo even the M2 is pretty solid if you don't need all the bells and whistles. My fiance decided she wanted to get me a new driver for my bday which is next week so I haven't picked one up for my new set yet ( been playing with an burner 2.0 I had wasting away in the garage since I got my new irons a couple weeks back) I spent a solid 30 minutes on a GC 2 @ the range hitting the M1 and Vapor Fly back and forth and some irons mixed in for fun. I really can't decide between the two, carry, flight, ball speed, swing speed all are about the same so it's more or less down to if I want the dope rear end blue look or sleek white/carbon fibre look...the hardest part of golf is choosing clubs.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

Source on this?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-04/adidas-decides-to-sell-golf-division-to-focus-on-clothing

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Yeah just read an article on it (yay google) - I don't blame them really, they own too much poo poo and expected Taylormade to pickup the loss from Adams. I didn't even know they owned Ashworth. The first quarter sales loss is pretty staggering though. One article suggested that most of their profit comes from the US as apparently the United States accounts for 50% of the golfers in the world and the numbers of players is on a steady decline. Estimated 30 million amateur golfers in 2000 and around 23 million now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rumor mill on Adidas trying to leave golf has been in the works for about a year now.