Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Lupin posted:

Wow, it's like you were almost there. I'm also very impressed that you knew where Nepal is. Please share more of your experiences!

Jeff Brown spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It's not in the OP but when does climbing usually start?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Beastie posted:

A quick search says most groups try and summit around early May so we should be getting some activity in the upcoming days

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
April showers bring may corpses!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cool. Blood for the Blood-God!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Beastie posted:

They're "climbing" already in the sense that teams are performing acclimatization rotations, going up and down to various camps. Here's a site that has regular updates: http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2016/02/01/everest-2016-team-locations/

Also an interesting note is the author reports there are 40% less climbers this year.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Beastie posted:

Alan Arnette reports that acclimatization climbs to Camps 1 and 2 are already underway.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Not long till the first fatalities :pray:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
First fatality will include an investment banker who thinks anything is possible with just your own pluck, determination and a four million dollar inheritance.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Outrail posted:

First fatality will include an investment banker who thinks anything is possible with just your own pluck, determination and a four million dollar inheritance.

Trump is doing a summit bid?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wasabi the J posted:

Trump is doing a summit bid?

But Trump’s “small loan” was $1 million.

plugs numbers into inflation calculator

Son of a bitch!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
No, I'm very highly cognizant of not being Jeff Brown. It was just really funny because of this thread going on at the same time. We also live in redneck central, so geographical awareness isn't that high around here.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I was making fun of the person who replied to you, because they were an asshat for no reason

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair until a few years ago when I got into the annual Everest Death-watch I couldn't have pointed it out on a map.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Rondette posted:

To be fair until a few years ago when I got into the annual Everest Death-watch I couldn't have pointed it out on a map.

wow look at this show off with his fingers

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Smash it Smash hit posted:

wow look at this show off with his fingers

I wish I had fingers to show off with.

My name is actually Beck Weathers

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Anya posted:

I wish I had fingers to show off with.

My name is actually Beck Weathers

How is your flipper doing?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I'm great in the water. On land, it's a little rough. Thank good ess for voice texting.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It just occurred to me that maybe some of you don't reflexively get this song in your head every time you see this thread, so maybe I should help change that so that you all can suffer as I do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG-wuWNIyzI

Like, I've been reading the everest thread for three or four years and only just now thought to post that. :shrug:

wintrrmute
Jul 28, 2002

(Borat voice) "MAH WIFE!"
I'm watching Beyond the Limit season 2 and Jesus Christ is Becky annoying. She is delusional in thinking she could climb this mountain.

It's like the producers thought "ok season 1 was good, but can we get someone more annoying then Tim? Audiences will love it"

wintrrmute fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 27, 2016

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Is she the one that put her crampons on backwards?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Leperflesh posted:

It just occurred to me that maybe some of you don't reflexively get this song in your head every time you see this thread, so maybe I should help change that so that you all can suffer as I do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG-wuWNIyzI

Like, I've been reading the everest thread for three or four years and only just now thought to post that. :shrug:

After Touching the Void, every time someone mentions mountaineering, Boney M starts playing in my head.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

Jeff Brown has spent his life searching for new adventures. “I have shared beef kabobs with Georgian Freedom Fighters in the Caucasus Mountains in the shadow of Mt. Elbrus,” the Florida defense attorney boasts on his website. “I’ve laid down in the marble tomb of the pharaoh Kefron … and been blessed by a Buddhist lama in the Himalayas deep in Nepal—twice.” But for all of these accomplishments, Brown has not yet reached the peak he cares about the most. He’s never summited Mount Everest.

All those moments will be lost...in time...like tears. In. Rain.
Time...to die :patriot:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Watched the k2 siren of the himalayas documentary on netflix and it was refreshing to see people actually turn around and not risk death within earshot of the peak.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

SaltLick posted:

Watched the k2 siren of the himalayas documentary on netflix and it was refreshing to see people actually turn around and not risk death within earshot of the peak.

My sister couldn't understand why I wanted to watch NotEverest until they got around to the summit/death ratio. Also surprised at how many people didn't die.

Especially that woman who wanted K2 to accept her.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Bolivar posted:

All those moments will be lost...in time...like tears. In. Rain.
Time...to die :patriot:

But his frozen corpse will remain a marker for many many years, until an avalanche replaces it somewehre else. but it will still be there!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Helicopter firms are carrying out unauthorised sightseeing flights over the upper reaches of Mount Everest, Nepalese officials say.

Sherpas have expressed concerns that vibrations caused by the helicopters could trigger avalanches.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Platystemon posted:

Helicopter firms are carrying out unauthorised sightseeing flights over the upper reaches of Mount Everest, Nepalese officials say.

Sherpas have expressed concerns that vibrations caused by the helicopters could trigger avalanches.

Can't wait for the Michael Bay Everest incident, where a helicopter crashes into the southern face, triggering an avalanche, making the base camp explode.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

You all need to follow EverestNoFilter on snapchat. They're posting daily updates of their trip and it's pretty interesting.
Edit: Found their website http://www.everestnofilter.com/

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 30, 2016

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

mike12345 posted:

After Touching the Void, every time someone mentions mountaineering, Boney M starts playing in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiX2PbrBXCQ

May it permeate your nightmares as it has mine.

TRA-LALALA LALA

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Platystemon posted:

"heh, looks like you can't keep me off the mountain with protests when I have superior technology, ya browns" - that one smug blogger guy, shortly before flying into everest and dying

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Awesome, I'm just going to parachute to the top of Everest off that chopper, take my selfie, then leap off the mountain & pop my second chute as I slam a Dew.

Take that, tryhards.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Awesome, I'm just going to parachute to the top of Everest off that chopper, take my selfie, then leap off the mountain & pop my second chute as I slam a Dew.

Take that, tryhards.

Better yet you should jetpack down to Everest then wingsuit back to base camp. So many ways to kill yourself!

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

Sherpa is streaming this weekend on Discovery. Definitely worth a watch. Bonus is hearing Russell Brice and Jeff Brown say those quotes from the article with their actual mouths.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/elevation-weekend/videos/sherpa/

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I had to pause it for a bit when that fucker asked if they could talk to the Sherpas' "owners".

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Day Man posted:

I had to pause it for a bit when that fucker asked if they could talk to the Sherpas' "owners".

what country were they from?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Microwaves Mom posted:

what country were they from?

Nepal, thats where the vast majority of sherpas live.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Platystemon posted:

I wonder if the tours pass over the wrecks of helicopters that have crashed on Everest in past years. Those are like, the Green Boots of helicopter flight attempts.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Everest is a world heritage site. That means I have just as much a right to fly my helicopter near it as you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Germstore posted:

Everest is a world heritage site. That means I have just as much a right to fly my helicopter near it as you do.

I'm gonna keep flying like this

*propellors choppin*

and if you happen to get in the way it's your own fault