Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
You can never have too many casts of Crush :colbert:

... Except when the reagents are spilling out of your bag and crushing everything around you :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Rangpur posted:

Because Ivor is almost certainly being ruled by the evil, despotic twin of their former ruler. Although so far, only Fire Eyes' evil twin was actively making life in her area worse. Maybe we've got the wrong idea about these evil doppelgangers!
Not-Horace was going to weaponize the power of the Diamond Eyes to stage a hostile takeover of all of Evermore. To this end, he distracted the populace with Coliseum games from the real issue -- that their only food sources are spiced rice, fish, spiced eggs, goat's milk, and goat meat (also spiced), and severed Crustacian contact. These would actively make things worse for the Nobilians, as you cannot find any fruit in town, and they'd have no way to trade for it without contacting the Crustacian "ruffians", so they're going to die slow, horrific, scurvy-related deaths. That, and almost certainly misappropriating funding, manpower, and resources is a Bad Thing™. Game is loving dark if you really think about some of these things (overthinking things, woo! :toot:). The Eyes themselves clearly have some sort of power, and may be a potent power-source from what we've seen. In the right hands, they could've led to some huge advances in Antiquan technology to drastically improve the quality of life there.

The short of it is; whatever decoy leader we find is definitely up to some serious no-good.

EponymousMrYar posted:

You can never have too many casts of Crush :colbert:

... Except when the reagents are spilling out of your bag and crushing everything around you :negative:
A little bird informs me that we'll be seeing a lot less of Crush...probably sooner rather than later! There aren't many places to restock Limestone in Gothica, if any at all. There might also be a little thing to...uhhh..."enhance" the threat of the coming bosses.

Glazius posted:

...has it been at all worth it to use any conventional armor shop this game?
In theory, no. But take Rogues, for example. If you only use the freebie armors, at best you have Dino Skin, Mammoth Guard, and Shell Hat. if you get tagged by their anchors, you're looking at upwards of 80+ until you play the trading game. If you consider that "making armor purchases", then you're stuck with the bottom-tier freebie armors from the Coliseum pots, and the handout from the crazy, but correct, prophet. That's going to lead to eating 100+ from Stone Vipers (remember, with best armors we saw Leave taking 60~80 from those, which is still huge), and since they attack rapidly, getting caught by one can very easily wipe you out in two hits. That isn't to mention the attack power ratings of the Sons of Set enemies/Sons of Anhur minibosses (not as significant as the power spike from Rogues, but they really are no slouch when they hit you, and are rather dangerous if not attacked from the sides or back), the bosses of Collosia and the Pyramids, as well as the Bad Dawg spawns from Aegis. The Skullclaws it spawns will also be a very real threat in such gimpy armors, and even then you'll have to deal with the quick, hard-to-see Oglins in the teleporter maze, and tentacle strikes from Aquagoth. Basically all of the enemies will provide a very real threat that way, but are almost a complete joke with the good armor from the region. Course, if you're slinging alchemy around everywhere, it's a minor difference.

In Gothica, it's much the same story, but the effect is amplified due to enemies becoming stronger in general.

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 22, 2016

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update Twenty Two: It's Amazing! It's Stupendous! It's A Festival Of Fears You'll Never Believe!

Welcome back, everyone! Last time, on Secret of Evermore, we explored Ivor Tower, got some neat new stuff, and were about to enter a festival of horror. Today, we're going to see that festival and the big pig race, so let's boogie.

Before we get to the exhibit, though, we have to go back. I missed a couple of things.

The first is just outside the entrance, to the left.

It's hidden in these trees.

We find a second Call Bead spell, and the only one that might actually be useful.

It's called Aura.

In addition to making you blink all sorts of goofy colors, it also confers full invincibility.

For an entire 45 seconds. I also have around 13 Call Beads right now, so I have nearly ten full minutes of invincibility, if I so wish.

And while we're out here, check out Lance.

It's exactly what you think it would be. I'm not a big fan of it, but that might be because I have Crush so well leveled.

The last thing we've gotta do around here is back at the well.

We drop the bucket down and pull it back up...

Releasing an Oglin!

We can't target him or anything, so we can only let him run. Perhaps we'll meet up with him again.

Alright, back to the exhibit. Let's go see some spooky poo poo.

Why sure! I do have a ticket.

I just told you that!

Ugh. I'm sure this is some sort of bigotry, but I don't know the right word for it.

Yeah, I'm sure that's going to work out just fine.

Oh, those little bastards.

On one hand, it's good that Zach didn't get too far. But it's not good that he's been caught by the fuzz.

Man, how great is Zach? :allears:

If it's a cow fetus in there, I'm out.

FAITH AND BEGORRAH

HOW DOES HE ENDURE THIS SUFFERING!? IT MUST BE ENDLESS

You can't even scratch his nose? York, you're a dick.

...If there's a man in there, I'm going to punch you.

:stonk:

Oh, thank God. I was picturing something much worse. :sweatdrop:

Hey, for all I know, that's my next sword.

Is it Cap'n Crunch?

If Cap'n Crunch is in there, I'ma flip out.

I'll be the fang judge here. I have a Femur of Fury with me.

Oh, God, I wish I still had my bazooka!

Oh, it's one of those exhibits.

Lemme get these bits of Wax and Limestone ready; I'm not concerned.

And some Iron and Acorns. And maybe some Vinegar and Water. Bees never hut when taking on the unknown.

Lame-rear end exhibit. I'm going to find your family and punch them for this crap.

"The first ever mixture of an apple and a banana..."

...If you're going to kidnap my dog, don't bring him right to where I am.

:ughh:

At least get him a mask that doesn't have black, soulless eyes.

It's too early for you to stop being a poodle!

Dammit, Zach, don't run!

I can understand that. I"d probably run, too.

Are you going to shave a poodle and glue the hair to a pig? Hell, get some syrup and cat hair and just give the bastard a mustache and we'll call it close enough for government work.

OH SWEET loving BIG-BALLED CHRIST WHAT IS THAT

"I have just poo poo myself!"

I guess that solves the issue of where we're getting a pig to enter the race.

We all knew we'd have to enter, but I don't know if any of you expected we'd get our poodle dressed as a pig and have him run the race.

Suck our dust, Truffle Trouble!

You ain't got poo poo on an animal that's not supposed to be in this race!

I took the time to Google it and pigs have a top speed of about 11 MPH, and it seems that poodles can get going up over 20 or 30 MPH.

Essentially, we're cheating our asses off to win a chance to meet with the queen.

And we didn't even plan it! At least, York didn't. I wouldn't put it past Zach to have this sort of thing in mind, once he saw he was dressed as a pig.

"Who believes this is a pig?"

Perfect! An audience with an evil twin. Maybe we can take her out all quick-like and get moving on outta here.

I'm not going to point out how many fights were a non-issue because of Zach's enormous power. He's done plenty right, just never really in the story. Or maybe he has, since he got us here in the first place.

She'll probably just send us down some tunnels and hope that does it.

For how much people were talking about it, you'd think that we'd have more fanfare for winning the race.

Sorry 'bout your luck.

If it'll help, I"ll go kill six or seven Hedgadillos and make what you do in a week.

York, we just walked in. Put your sword away.

Keep up, Zach. We're getting a fancy meal!

Which might be our first one since we came to Evermore.

No precedent for that or anything...I'm sure he'll be fine.

Cool beans. Let's rub elbows with some snobs.

York, do you just want a sign proclaiming you're a hick, or should I just let you keep going on your own?

"Assisted by his apprentice, Phecal the Florid."

I wonder where he got them from. I'm betting he wasn't trading in the middle of a desert for 'em.

Lemme jot that down. That seems important.

Uh-huh, gold paint, east wing, bookcases...

I'm a little grossed out right now.

But I'm not finished hobnobbing!

That picture from last update was closer than I thought...

York, I don't think you're supposed to--

I'm sure this is exactly how the queen meets most of her friends.

drat, you are a nice lady.

I would hope not. Who knows what that silly bastard will be getting up to in a castle.

And this, of course, is our cue to fade to black...

And I'll take this as our cue to end the update.

Next time, we're going to hopefully see Zach not cooked into dinner, do some maze exploring, find a crazy woman, and some other stuff, so stay tuned!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Always nice to start my day with a bowl of biscuits and gravy and a Leavemywife lp update.

:hfive:

DayoDayo
Apr 23, 2016

Great update leave!

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
My only complaint is that they're not long enough :negative:

That isn't really Leave's fault, though. This game tends to densely pack these 'cutscene' sequences between battle-areas. From the Show to the visit with the Queen, and these scenes taking place, happens in all of about 5 minutes of gameplay. It has a lot to show, and doesn't take a lot of time to do so. Plus, it's making up for the fact that we're about to have no less than four maze-like dungeons coming up.

For a screenshot LP, though, that's a loooooooooot of images, because there's a lot to show off. Especially the two-legged poodle. That absolutely had to be seen by everyone because it's wonderful. :allears:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Why does "Truffle Trouble" ring a bell?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Why does "Truffle Trouble" ring a bell?

Replace Trouble with 'Shuffle.'

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Whatever it is, it's definitely a videogame thing, not The Goonies. Google isn't helping.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Leavemywife posted:

OH SWEET loving BIG-BALLED CHRIST WHAT IS THAT

A beautifully done fake out is what that is.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I was not disappointed in how fake the sideshow turned out to be! The incidental flavor dialogue from the carny was pretty interesting too. He seemed to know an awful lot about United States geography.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Stroth posted:

A beautifully done fake out is what that is.

Every good con has to have one truth in it so that everyone buys into the farce.

Mungo also strangely fits in with everything: it's just a head, it has horn-like hair/hair like horn (or tusks) and a piggish countenance.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

EponymousMrYar posted:

Every good con has to have one truth in it so that everyone buys into the farce.

Mungo also strangely fits in with everything: it's just a head, it has horn-like hair/hair like horn (or tusks) and a piggish countenance.

As a fake-out it's pretty nice. I just hope whatever cage they have to contain Mungola is still in place.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Twenty Three: This Is Just The Start Of Maze Related Shenanigans

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Secret of Evermore, we went through the Exhibit of Oddities, where Zach was...Kidnapped? Not exactly kidnapped, but he was dressed as a pig for an exhibit, which he escaped and then won the big pig race, which lets us meet the queen. Just before the break, we--

...Oh. Zach was about to be made into the main course.

By a French stereotype, nonetheless.

And much like the actual French, this guy is a dick.*

*I don't know if the French are actually dicks or not. I only have TV and movies to base that off of.

Sacre bleu is an actual French term, meaning "Holy blue" and it used as an exclamation akin to "Jesus Christ!"

Jesus Bleu, you're still going to cook him!?

Run, Zach, he has a ladle!

And what I assume is a filthy mouth! I don't speak French!

On the bright side, we're not going to be eaten anymore. On the unlit side, I'm not sure where this leads to, so we still might end up being eaten.

...Oh, of course. It leads to a maze on the inside of the castle's walls.

As the update title suggests, this maze here will be the first of many we'll be combing our way through.

There's no combat here, so we don't have to worry about any of that. We've just gotta find the right ways through.

I'm not going to show a play-by-play of how to get through this place. It's honestly not too difficult to find your way through, and there is one secret in here, but you'll probably end up stumbling on it, if you're going through it blind.

These air vents are scattered about and lead as points to boost us up and out of here.

Zach pauses long enough to take a whiz on one of these trees before moving along.

These doors each lead back inside, to a different point of entry for the maze. They're all linked together and if you're not sure of what you're doing, you'll come back to them fairly frequently.

You'll come to plenty of spots that have treasure chests in them, too. Zach, being a dog without opposable thumbs, can't open these chests.

I'm sure you all understand the implication of that.

This update isn't very long. I could combined this one with the last update and we would have been perfectly fine. I'm not sure why I didn't. I guess I felt the switch from exhibit to pig race to meeting royalty to dungeon maze was just stretching it a little too far.

Ah-ha, a door! Finally, some real--

Well, poo poo, it's locked. Definitely not getting that door open, thumbs or not.

So back to the maze we go.

This maze isn't too bad to navigate through; it's a lot of straight paths, so nothing is going to really trip you up unless you take a piss break and come back and forget which way you were going.

After wandering enough to find a secret passage, you'll notice that certain patches of the room start lighting up, signifying that there is something important there. And it's good to go wander over there.

The secret area path is really easy, too. It's a straight shot with no deviations; as long as you find the right way to go forward, you'll getting out of it.

It leads us to this crazy-rear end old woman.

Not quite sure how, since I'm pretty sure we have no way to hold a key, but we do have a sidekick around that has the proper appendages and digits to run such machinery.

However, we can keep talking to this woman, just for some neat background information.

For those of you who don't know, bursitis is an inflammation of the bursae. I personally suffer from bursitis of the hip. Some website I found off Google has this to say about it: "Hip bursitis, also known as Trochanteric bursitis is inflammation of a bursa or small sack of fluid between tendon and bone which prevents friction. The bursa can become inflamed causing pain in the hip."

Basically, when bursitis has kicked in, it makes things quite painful and you have quite the hitch in your giddy-up. A quick cortisone shot clears it up pretty well. I'm not sure what tonic she's taking to treat it, but since we're in Ye Olde Times, I'd reckon it's probably opium mixed with some tonic water.

I'm more worried about you, granny. I hope you'll be okay. :smith:

Still, we heed her advice and run off.

We're actually fairly close to the end of this maze. It's a pretty easy one and a nice entry for what we can get used to seeing.

Before, we were on the west side of the castle, out on the balcony with its three doors. When you hit the east side with its three doors, you're two steps from being done.

Just follow this path on down...

And we get put into a cutscene! Zach runs along automatically here, so when you lose control, you're finished with the little maze.

It's a good thing Zach is free. But what trouble is he going to get into now?

It's big, shiny, and your kitchen has Korean influences.

Uh, sure. I'll let you think I agreed to those.

The rest of us get braised lamb, but Queen Bluegarden, we've decided that you get a tossed salad with low-fat dressing.

I've never understood people in restaurants that snap at the wait service for their food. I'm pretty sure that's going to accomplish nothing that you want it to, and only serves to make you look like an rear end in a top hat.

I forgot to mention that this was the sequel to Canine Drift.

Guadalupe Hidalgo! It's his canine companion!

Not on purpose, Your Majesty. And especially not before we got the chance to eat.

Aww, crap.

That's profiling! I'm pretty sure that's wrong, no matter the time period!

That's a hell of a jump for that, man. I think you're being a little unreasonable here.

I won't argue with you on that point.

And one of my favorite dialog options in this, or any, game. It's just so corny, I can't help but love it.

Not that it did us any good. They probably kicked us in the rear end once or twice for our bullshit.

There's a switch outside of the cell door that this guy stands on.

We'll get to that switch in a minute.

Psh, four more images, and I'll be halfway free. Just you watch.

With that, the jailer moseys on off, leaving us to our own devices.

Such as planning to break out of prison before the guy's even out of earshot. Gotta respect those cojones.

And with that, we're halfway free!

This is where I leave you off. I'm pooped, and it's bed time.

However, next time, we're not only to free York, but we're also going to get a free Defender collar for Zach while we're at it! Stay tuned, ladies and gentlemen, for the next exciting episode of Secret of Evermore!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That was nice of them to the let the old queen keep her keys like that.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
The under-the-castle dog maze is one of the most annoying things in the game. That path to the old woman? Entirely dark, so you have to loop around quite carefully (with false paths) to get through it. I've never breezed through it that casually - it typically takes me 10-15 minutes.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yeah this maze sucks poo poo, it's terrible to find the secret path if you don't expect it, and there's nothing to break up the monotony of running around in circles through dark corridors. I'm not a good navigator, so when you change levels, I tend to lose my sense of how upstairs and downstairs relate, so it might as well be a teleporter maze for me to boot. Not fun in the slightest.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

The Lone Badger posted:

That was nice of them to the let the old queen keep her keys like that.

Wait, what?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Lunar! Truffle Trouble is a boss in the remake.

Ok that's all

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

This is like a less fun version of the Blackbird from Chrono Trigger. The whole Gothica area could have used more playtesting

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fourth Wall posted:

This is like a less fun version of the Blackbird from Chrono Trigger. The whole Gothica area could have used more playtesting

I don't think it's much of a playtesting issue. There are plenty of savepoints so it's likely an assumption that you'd be taking breaks while doing Gothica.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Fourth Wall posted:

EponymousMrYar posted:

I don't think it's much of a playtesting issue. There are plenty of savepoints so it's likely an assumption that you'd be taking breaks while doing Gothica.

Yeah, it's not really a playtesting issue, it's an overall design philosophy. "Too many mazes" isn't really an argument that a playtester is going to win with the lead designer/developer.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

It's a shame that Gothica is like 80% mazes because the Antiqua/Gothica mid-game is my favorite part of SoE. I always felt that Gothica could use a little bit more fleshing out (and better weapon distribution; alas).

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Playtesting in the sense of is "it actually fun to do this? No, not exactly."

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Fourth Wall posted:

Playtesting in the sense of is "it actually fun to do this? No, not exactly."

I know what you're saying and I agree that it's not really fun gameplay, it's just an unfortunate reality of game design that playtesters don't really have the chance to really fix a big-picture item like "this particular area sucks" or "holy poo poo, so many mazes".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This entire series of misadventures has just been our dog dragging us into one mess after another, hasn't it?

Not that a boy would ever abandon his dog.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Ah, finally managed to catch up after a few busy weeks and associated exhaustion. It would be reasonable to expect some gifatars soon.

Also, I'm watching you, Kheldarn. :mad:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Explosionface posted:

Ah, finally managed to catch up after a few busy weeks and associated exhaustion. It would be reasonable to expect some gifatars soon.

I'M EXPECTING THEM RIGHT GODDAMNED NOW

Explosionface posted:

And this isn't a bad idea, either. He's up to something...

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Twenty Four: In Which We're Okay With Opening The Road To Mass Murder

Welcome back! Last time, on Secret of Evermore, we managed to almost have dinner with the Queen, Camellia Bluegarden, but Zach accidentally messed it up. We were then thrown into the dungeon, where we need to break out of. So, let's do that and boogie out.

We're back in control of Zach again. Now, we could open the cell immediately, but there's something more important to do.

We're going to open all of the other cells first.

I'm not sure why a Viper is being kept down here, but whatever. We can handle this.

In nearly one regular attack, too. drat, Zach, you scary.

This cell here holds another Viper.

In killing him, he triggered a drop. That only matters because Zach can't pick up items.

And item drops are solid objects, so Zach can't walk through them. They'll fade after a little while, but for about a minute, I had to stand here. I sniffed the bones to make Zach seem more dog-like, instead of appearing like a froofy purple murder machine.

The enemy in here is a bit more interesting. Still a blast from the past, but a little more recent.

The Mini-Taur!

And we nearly push his poo poo in with a single shot. Noice.

Even noicer is that he can't hurt Zach.

There's another Mini-Taur in here.

We one-shot him and gain a level in the process! :sugartits:

And, finally, the last enemy. A true blast from the past.

A beginning of the game enemy! Unfortunately, Zach doesn't have a bazooka, so he's going to have to get down and dirty here.

This is the only enemy we've met in a loooong time that stands any sort of a chance against Zach.

Not much of one, mind you, but he could actually deal some sort of meaningful damage to our dog.

After defeating the Mecha Duster, we get the third collar! We could have bought this, yes, but since we can get all the collars for free (only one left!), that's how we're doing it.

Holy balls, that is a defense increase.

Alright, let's free York. Even though, as Glazius pointed out, Zach has been the driving force of our adventure.

You were in there for three minutes. Calm your tits, York.

There's also a free Iron Bracer inside of the cell, if you haven't gotten a new arm armor just yet.

The cell we didn't open is our way out of here.

Is...Is that a sewer tunnel I see?

Look at York freaking out here, and Zach is all, "Whatevs, let's get this done."

So, we're in another sewer section. There are some treasure chests scattered about here, but only one important thing.

Much like the tunnel section in Prehistoria, this water is constantly moving, keeping you going whichever way.

Running like an rear end in a top hat will keep you from being swept away.

Oh, yeah, and this water is toxic and periodically deals damage to you. It's not a ton, but if you spend long enough in the water...

Alright, this is good. We want to be on the right side.

Uh, not this far right.

Ah, there we go. You can barely see the guy's feet in this shot.

If I wasn't trying to do one of those completionist LPs, I would have never come to find your old rear end.

Correction: lying old rear end.

And the only formula in which Mushrooms are used in.

Corrosion is Acid Rain's older, but less useful (somehow), brother.

There's two more Call Beads in the other chest. It's too bad that you can't sell them. Well, you can, but they sell for nothing.

And just to the left of the Corrosion man is the exit. Like I said, there's other treasure around here, but I'm already doing enough mazes in this section, and I don't need one that forces you into movement and constantly damages you.

Corrosion is fun in that it affects all enemies on screen, automatically. Other spells mutli-target up to three other enemies.

However, it's not fun in that it does piss-poor damage.

It'll start doing tick damage, too, but at pathetic amounts. This could be useful if Corrosion got stronger as it leveled up, but it doesn't. It's going to forever be a poor spell with poor damage and used just the once to show it off.

In my disappointment, I explode this rat.

Heal's only level 4. Maybe I should work on leveling that up.

Me too. Video game sewers suck.

York, that's honestly nothing worth worrying about.

Or it wouldn't be, but cutscenes have a way of overpowering anything we can do.

And I would have gotten away with it, too, except for those meddling kids!

And that dog!

Yeah, that's us. Maybe we can get a formula for a bath. Or some 409, at least.

Nice fireplace. I kind of want a home with one, but I know if I got it going, it'd be way too damned hot.

I'm the kind that thinks more than 75 degrees is too hot. I like things to be nice and cool, bordering on chilly.

I also prefer pants to shorts. I think it just looks nicer.

Then again, my legs are fish belly white, and I've got some nasty looking scar tissue on one of my knees.

I don't think anyone's a fan of that, Queenie, but throwing folks in prison is still a little over the line.

Eh, not really, but if you say so.

Sure, gently caress up her poo poo, then ask her a favor. Stay classy, York.

Hey, she said we'll get to it later. Cool, she'll help us!

Oh, and you think it's much better over here, living in your Ivory Tower.

That seems like a ton of work. Wouldn't it have been easier to, oh I don't know, take your vast riches and hire an army of maids?

So, what, you want me to go get them and bring 'em back?

...I can?

Okay, chessboard. We've heard about this before. There's a maze associated with it.

So, you'll catapult us over and we just have to lower it, yeah?

But, down in that ravine, thar be dragons! :ohdear:

Alright, so, just to be clear; your old castle was dirty, so you had a new one built and you moved all of your poo poo over here. And then, some people stayed behind for whatever reason, and you don't like that. And now you want us to sneak over there, lower the drawbridge so that your forces can invade and kill everyone.

Right? I've got that clear. York, any objections?

...How can you sound so casual about sentencing innocent people to slaughter!?

Oh, whatever. We all know that nobody is going to be horrifically murdered. This game has its dark moments, but never out in the open like that.

Who's taking bets on a chessboard themed boss? Anyone? 5:1 for it.

Before we scoot and skedaddle, let's go see something creepy.

Yeah, that dude's sitting on the back of his chair.

I'm not even sure what to make of that title. It sounds like a bizarre art-house film mixed with a B-movie porno.

Oh. You must be the king.

And here, I was sure you'd be horrifically murdered somehow and they were just hiding the body.

And folks, let me present to you, The Show of Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ido-q9Jvh8

Yeah, gently caress this, I'm out. poo poo's weird, yo.

Though, this doorway here leads us back to the stage.

Just down on the ground floor.

We could watch the show again, I guess, but nope. We got yelled out, so let's scoot before Ye Royal Ushere comes and scoots us out.

And I'm sure nothing terrible will happen over there. Or that Zach will get us into more trouble.

Remember that key we picked up? It's use will become apparent in the next update.

It'll get us a swank new alchemy formula, one that could potentially overpower Crush.

But, that's all for next time. Until then, have a good night, folks, and thanks for reading.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Wait, can't you loot all those chests that were pawsitively impossible to open with Zach due to the lack of thumbs? You've got a key to the castle and a mission from the Queen - they're basically begging you to take everything!

It's worth noting that the robot in the cells is the same model, but actually coded as a different enemy than the one from the intro scene (which have much lower stats, for obvious reasons). The other enemies are, AFAIK, identical to their earlier versions.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Corrosion is actually fairly unique with Alchemy Spells: It's the only one that sticks a DoT on enemies, which makes it zany for particularly scripted encounters.

Also because some enemies share your hit invulnerability, it also actively prevents you from killing things faster! :v:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I may have been sitting on a couple of these for a while...

The following aren't legal avatars, but they still look cool. A couple stand a chance of making it after a couple of size reduction passes, but it's going to wait for now.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!
Well, finally caught up with the LP and... it's been really difficult. I mean really difficult. Not because life had been preoccupied, well okay that was true, but more because I cannot for the life of me stand York at all.

Between his completely generic dialogue and his references to works of fiction that don't exist I've been growing to despise and loathe his fictional existence with each and every update. He wouldn't be so bad as a character if not for the fact that he has almost done nothing important throughout the game aside from fight monsters and be dumb enough to help the villains out like he did about five or so updates ago. He's not funny, he's not clever, he's not anything a good main character should be.

Zach on the other hand, is the sole saving grace as far as I'm concerned. Not a single line of dialogue and everything he does is either important to the game or just generally entertaining. How in the world is this actually happening in a game? Let alone an RPG for Hell's sake.

Maybe I'm just alone in this though, maybe it's because I haven't played the game I can't look past how godawful York is. I mean I wouldn't be surprised about being wrong about something, but just drat man.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Nah, you're right, York is bland and dumb.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, York is really just kind of... too much of a patsy, I guess? I mean, you don't want somebody who throws adventure the double deuce, either, but he'll listen to anybody.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, I will put up with bullshit mazes if there's engaging dialogue or an interesting plot to unfold, but York's not even interesting in his B-movie obsession - the parts he quotes are just bland every day lines that could be from anything.

And while a lot RPG protagonists are kind of guilty of lacking initative due to how most RPG Plots work, but he's probably one of the least proactive protagonists out there, he almost takes no initiative of his own, getting pulled into the plot due to someone's say or so because of his dog.

I get he's probably suppose to be fairly young (I'd say he's probably 12-13?) so some of his gullibility could be excused, but for so someone that's supposedly a movie fanatic, he seems pretty oblivious to obvious plot flags.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 28, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Robindaybird posted:

I get he's probably suppose to be fairly young (I'd say he's probably 12-13?) so some of his gullibility could be excused, but for so someone that's supposedly a movie fanatic, he seems pretty oblivious to obvious plot flags.

See, that's an interesting point. They could have done something with him where he knows the plot beats he's up against but goes along with it anyway because he realizes that now he gets to be the B-movie hero!! As time goes by he could start to question more and more whether he actually wants to go home. It's not, like, super deep but it at least gives him more than one dimension.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

GunnerJ posted:

See, that's an interesting point. They could have done something with him where he knows the plot beats he's up against but goes along with it anyway because he realizes that now he gets to be the B-movie hero!! As time goes by he could start to question more and more whether he actually wants to go home. It's not, like, super deep but it at least gives him more than one dimension.

So more like Last Action Hero?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I agree that York is dumb as hell but this game is entertaining regardless. Mostly for the dog. :)

Some of the bosses are also fun. I enjoyed the Raptors, Vigor, and Aegis. The most fun are still to come, though, so I won't say more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Explosionface posted:

Leavemywife posted:

And this isn't a bad idea, either. He's up to something...

:v:

• Locked thread