Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maldavos
May 26, 2015
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

What color?

What color are your dreams, baby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ha! E:D is so stupid for not giving people FPS immediately on commercial launch like Star Citizen. Now they'll have all the time in the world (as long as the company doesn't fold) to make something that works properly.

Now shut up so I can concentrate on glitching out of the 'timeout room'.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
People cried so much about dying in a videogame set in space where you're going to die a lot (and the game even has insurance to stop said players from crying about it) that they had to add a timeout zone.

Or maybe they planned it all along to go along with the wankpod cause they expect you to just alt-tab while you wait.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

VR is irrelevant for star citizen guys

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Jobbo_Fett posted:

People cried so much about dying in a videogame set in space where you're going to die a lot (and the game even has insurance to stop said players from crying about it) that they had to add a timeout zone.

Or maybe they planned it all along to go along with the wankpod cause they expect you to just alt-tab while you wait.

I'm the wankpod timeout room that trusts the client's system clock.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'm the wankpod timeout room that trusts the client's system clock.

Oh no I lost my Bengal Carrier and now I have to wait a whole month for it to get rebuilt!

*Advances clock 1 month*

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
wait whats this, you get sent to the shadow realm if you kill too many people in this first person shooter game? what mysteries have the latest version added?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

I wonder if this guy is shilling for vr devices or phones? What could it beeee?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

trucutru posted:

I think he's saying that in 10 years, most phones will support some form of VR (dunno why he's not calling them phones anymore thou)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

wait whats this, you get sent to the shadow realm if you kill too many people in this first person shooter game? what mysteries have the latest version added?

You get put in time out in your room with the 30th century equivalent of a dunce cap on your head.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yes - a good faith effort in the context of what is delivered by the devs are examples of the AI tech that they recently demonstrated (I believe in last week's ATV/RTV fast forward). It was of AI perception, in which they are attempting to make the AI perceive environmental queues through speech, sight and sound. AI can be as smart as you wish - it can now the location of any asset at any time. The challenge is to make them more realistic, and seeing the actual programming for this shows a good-faith attempt at delivering some finality instead of just collecting money and drawing a spaceship to sell.

Holy poo poo is this something you actually believe is possible?

(it's not)

Like you understand AI in pc games isn't actually AI right? Like it reacts to a set of scripts it doesn't actually understand it's environment.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
By 2030 almost every single human is going to have his own VR device because gently caress clean water and food.

People are also going to stop using smartphones because, when you have vr animes to masturbate at home you won't be talking with anybody anyways.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

trucutru posted:

That guy works for HTC, so.. Both, kinda?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Phobophilia posted:

This has been in for like 2 or 3 months now. A game where you can do nothing else but kill other players.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Like I am genuinely fascinated how much MoMA utterly fails at pretending to be a professional that knows literally anything about business or software development.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

Gaze upon that loving list guys, that's just one year of the 4 odd years Chris Roberts has been telling everyone "what is coming", and you tell me this isn't the biggest loving scam in the entire history of crowdfunding.

"Oh but x is coming in 2.4 or maybe long term y will be in, and they just need to redo this thing here" GET THE gently caress OUT

I love you when you're angry SomethingJones :allears:

also, excellent effort list

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Nation posted:

How to get a supporter to dig a hole - ask two legitimate questions

The most advanced anti-shill technique known in the 'verse!

Just makes sure you don't add the words, "Do you honestly believe," or "Do you expect," because lol, we all know the answer to that

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sedisp posted:

(it's not)

Like you understand AI in pc games isn't actually AI right? Like it reacts to a set of scripts it doesn't actually understand it's environment.

Lol, I missed that the first time. MoMA dumb as gently caress.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sedisp posted:

(it's not)

Wow, what sort of failure to understand software would you need in order to even think it is possible? It's literally at the point of thinking it's all magic and that there's a little man running around in a real world inside your PC.

There aren't any actual sights and sounds from the perspective of an AI script, it's all just triggered events that may or may not sent a message to the audio drivers or video drivers, the result of which the AI has no concept of. It's all just hitboxes, scripts and triggers. You could have the loudest sound effect in the world, if it's not tied to a script telling and NPC how to behave it won't do anything.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I don't know what you guys are even talking about. Even the AI in Wolfenstein 3D reacted to gunshot sounds and would investigate the area. Christ, it's as if none of you understand AI development and coding in videogames :colbert:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sedisp posted:

This is a super common misconception on the brown sea. I explained it there time and time again and people would just not understand that you basically have two options:

a) A good AI, that has a lot of preprogrammed variations in it for behaviour, but still ends up being predictable after the first couple hours of playing a game (or reading a wiki post on how to beat it), but still ends up being okay or even good and believable.

b) A poo poo AI that cheats and uses values unavailable to regular players, which instantly breaks immersion, and will never get into a CR game.

But no, apparently CIG will get a Tianhe level supercomputer and use that to run the 3 opponents in your instance.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Truga posted:

That guy is a big lying retard.

Also 700 posts overnight WTF just happened?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
MoMA returned gloriously with his paralegal interpretations of some Terms of Service that hold no value in any court of law or chargeback request :v:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

trucutru posted:

By 2030 almost every single human is going to have his own VR device because gently caress clean water and food.

People are also going to stop using smartphones because, when you have vr animes to masturbate at home you won't be talking with anybody anyways.
Well, I mean, I can't argue with that.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Nation posted:

I wonder which cig shell company all my pledges are stored under

A knight travels the land for numerous long years as he looks for a true born king to serve for the rest of his natural life. He braves monster, weather, brigand and beast, and finally is rewarded by sight of a distant castle. He enters, and is welcomed to the throneroom and the visages of luxury. His eyes are filled with tears, his quest is over, he can serve with dignity and honor til the rest of his days as a member of a noble household!

Before he can even see the king properly, he Immediately he throws himself to his knees before the figure upon the throne, and the knight weeps for his journey and years of trial are finally over. His sword is already out, ready to commit to a lifetime of service to his betters.

"I pledge my life in service of the king!" the knight cries out and looks down to the ground, and awaits judgement.

Awkward moments pass as the king remains still.

A guard of the crown steps forward from behind the throne sheepishly and begins to talk.

"Well, to tell you the truth, the king? He's actually just a bunch of bones and cushions we stuck together that we pretend is the king. For official use, like. Yeah, sometimes we stand behind him and wave his hands around, speak for him. Lot of red tape getting a fresh king you know!"

The knight looks up at the king figure and discovers in horror that the bodyguard's words ring true. Upon the throne is an awkward mish-mash of noble parts, and in the right light, it could be mistaken for the most important person in the realm. But in this light, so close, it was clearly a brutally constructed skeleton with poor fashion taste and cheap jewelry.

The knight shakes his head at the sight, and sheathes his sword. It'll be years before he would hear word of another king to serve, he had placed all his hopes on working for this one. Dismayed and defeated, the knight begins to leave the courtyard whereupon the bodyguard protests and blocks free passage.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"That's not a king. That's a mocking facsimile. A dummy of parts that look like the king. I'm on a journey to serve a true noble king. My life is meant to serve a true king."

"Ah, but you pledged your life to this one! Once you pledge, that's it! See, if you bought your service to the king, we might have let you off the hook, but seeing as you pledged, your life is forfeit regardless of the state of this here king Chris Roberts! Do you know nothing on how chivalry is developed?"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Mr.Tophat posted:

A knight travels the land for numerous long years as he looks for a true born king to serve for the rest of his natural life. He braves monster, weather, brigand and beast, and finally is rewarded by sight of a distant castle. He enters, and is welcomed to the throneroom and the visages of luxury. His eyes are filled with tears, his quest is over, he can serve with dignity and honor til the rest of his days as a member of a noble household!

Before he can even see the king properly, he Immediately he throws himself to his knees before the figure upon the throne, and the knight weeps for his journey and years of trial are finally over. His sword is already out, ready to commit to a lifetime of service to his betters.

"I pledge my life in service of the king!" the knight cries out and looks down to the ground, and awaits judgement.

Awkward moments pass as the king remains still.

A guard of the crown steps forward from behind the throne sheepishly and begins to talk.

"Well, to tell you the truth, the king? He's actually just a bunch of bones and cushions we stuck together that we pretend is the king. For official use, like. Yeah, sometimes we stand behind him and wave his hands around, speak for him. Lot of red tape getting a fresh king you know!"

The knight looks up at the king figure and discovers in horror that the bodyguard's words ring true. Upon the throne is an awkward mish-mash of noble parts, and in the right light, it could be mistaken for the most important person in the realm. But in this light, so close, it was clearly a brutally constructed skeleton with poor fashion taste and cheap jewelry.

The knight shakes his head at the sight, and sheathes his sword. It'll be years before he would hear word of another king to serve, he had placed all his hopes on working for this one. Dismayed and defeated, the knight begins to leave the courtyard whereupon the bodyguard protests and blocks free passage.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"That's not a king. That's a mocking facsimile. A dummy of parts that look like the king. I'm on a journey to serve a true noble king. My life is meant to serve a true king."

"Ah, but you pledged your life to this one! Once you pledge, that's it! See, if you bought your service to the king, we might have let you off the hook, but seeing as you pledged, your life is forfeit regardless of the state of this here king Chris Roberts! Do you know nothing on how chivalry is developed?"

Beautiful retelling of Incan history.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
This is MOMA at his computer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyV0IVItlM4

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Are all these things "supposedly" coming as well? Do you understand how stupid you look telling people on here what "is coming"? Are there maybe a few things here you can help me remove from the list if they're in the game, before I add in the 30 odd from the last couple of months?

NPC Generation
Docking and Undocking Tech
Realistic Audio Options
Personally Owned NPCs
Farming
Procedural Tech
Tri-Monitor Support
Hangar and Planet Side Module
Your Name in the Game
Carriers
Getting Everyone into the Same Instance
Lowering Your Wanted Level
More Economical or Versatile Corvettes
Planetary Ship Entry
Repair and Items System Capability
Manned Turrets
Character Customization
Ship connected to User Online/Offline Status
Picking Up Objects On Planets
Multi-Monitor HUD
Large Ship Damage Control Lockers
Dogfights Through Space Stations
Ship Persistence 
Stealth Game Play 
Ability for Privateers/Corsairs/Buccaneers
Landing on Planets
Procedurally-Generated Environments
Starfarer's Refueling Mechanic
Additional Star Systems 
Rigging 
Anchoring to an Asteroid
Kill Boards
NPC ranks 
Thruster Trails 
Non-Leathal Combat Modules 
Raid Supply Shipments
Owning an Alien Ship
Hidden Ship Compartments
Catapulting Through Space
Locking Ships
Jury Rig Repairing
Dynamic Weather
Starting in the Stanton System
Automatic Battle Flight Pattern
Living Spaces
Insurance for Pilots
Future Mining
Escape Pods Functionality in Alpha 2.0
Personal Armor (FPS)  
Extreme Ship Maneuvers
Your Inventory When The PU Goes Live. 
Start up Sequence for Large Multi-Crew Ships
Voice Commands
Remotely Hacking Ships
Pacing NPC's
Incentives to keep your orginal Ship's Hull 
Game Generated Missions
Communication Between Two Ships
Ship Armor
Controlled and Uncontrolled Space
NPC Crews
Guild Wars
Trading in Star Citizen
Inflation and Deflation
Hiring NPC's for missions
Travelling in Fleets
Tactical Game modes in FPS
Trading weapon in the FPS
Bounty Hunting
Player Generated Content
Loaner Multicrew Ships
Alien Language 
Transiting Between Systems 
Road to Developing Star Systems
Assigning Ships to Landing Zones
UI Customization
Radar features
Future Playable Maps
Ships Developed by the Community
Multicrew Ship Tech
Warning NPC's of Attack
NPC crew AI
Clothing Damage
Character Creator 
Interior Damage System
Roaming Floating Structures 
Ship Parking in the PU
Currency Usage
Hiring Programmers
Vehicles for Planetside
NPC dialogue
Electronic Warfare in the PU
Player Owned Cargo Space
NPC population in the PU
Salvaging in the 'Verse
Ships in my Hangar aging?
A Linux client?
In game Banking
VR in the 'Verse
Medic and Surgeon Skill progression
Mining and resource gathering
Fabricate weapons/armor/ship parts
FPS Armor Types
NPC control in FPS
Join in-progress free flight games.
Hangar parties & instancing.
Heavy personal armor. 
Physical grappling beam.
Multicrew keycards.
Repairing Gold Horizon Space Stations
Taxation
Natural areas in the 'Verse
FPS environmental hazards
Store ore in your hangar
Organic ships
Ship spoofing
Non-combat ships relevancy
Search players for weapons
Flying a ship without a hud
Starting wars between the different races.
Using tractor beams defensively.
Flying while docked to another ship.
NPCs reaction to weapons.
Drop pods for soldiers.
Flying ships while limbs are damaged.
Using characters as crewmen.
Bounty Hunters and known associates.
Org recruiting NPCs.
NPCs using different loadouts.
Resources respawn in the PU.
NPC & Human scanning.

Which period is this bullshit promise list from, you said only 1 year?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

redwalrus posted:

It's ready for release.

I don't want to talk about how long this took.

:lol: it was worth it

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

SomethingJones posted:

Manned Turrets

Aren't these in the game now? Or did Crobbers promise higher fidelity versions of them?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Happy Sisyphus posted:

uh sorry? you think you can come up with a better name? remember you need to keep it within the sophisticated fall of rome motif

Wow that one's a literal gold mine. Just try it out!

A'Tyl, leader of the Hûhns
Khooz'rau, King of Kings, emperor of the Sazaanaids
Mixridatheas the cruel, King of Puntos

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Chalks posted:

Wow, what sort of failure to understand software would you need in order to even think it is possible? It's literally at the point of thinking it's all magic and that there's a little man running around in a real world inside your PC.

There aren't any actual sights and sounds from the perspective of an AI script, it's all just triggered events that may or may not sent a message to the audio drivers or video drivers, the result of which the AI has no concept of. It's all just hitboxes, scripts and triggers. You could have the loudest sound effect in the world, if it's not tied to a script telling and NPC how to behave it won't do anything.

There is some serious snake oil logic being applied to computer systems, and it's legitimately impressive how deep and profitable this has been for Chris. This claim about AI 'perceiving' the environment is right up there with 'you control your character whose hand controls the ship wheel whose mechanical wire system controls your movement'

This project has convinced a wide range of people that the things they always thought were true about video games actually are true. Bad AI is caused by cheap publishers and lazy dumb devs... a robust and adaptive system that has senses it uses and mental processes to reason and learn, that's as simple as building a tiny piece and then dumpling programmer hours in it.

These people are ignorant and they are loving it, Chris shows them it's okay to not think critically because things are really quite simple and he will take care of everything

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Crobemandius, look upon my engine, and refactor

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

trucutru posted:

Chris has expressly said than the shopping room is going to be in Olisar. Of course, in the end he doesn't have any idea of what he is saying but that was the plan. Yeah.

:eyepop:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Also, somethingjones, you delivered a hell of an own back there. If MOMA pops up again, the appropriate response to quote the full version of this:

SomethingJones posted:

Are all these things "supposedly" coming as well? Do you understand how stupid you look telling people on here what "is coming"? Are there maybe a few things here you can help me remove from the list if they're in the game, before I add in the 30 odd from the last couple of months?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4gmyw4/thoughts_on_living_on_space_ships_from_someone/

What is this a satire of? Ben?
:psyduck:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This has been in for like 2 or 3 months now. A game where you can do nothing else but kill other players.

can we perform cybersex chat while emoting using jumps and crouches? though we are both burly space marine men, this is appropriate design for such a game

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

lol, such salt (and ignorance). Where link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Truga posted:

He forgot to show in the chart at what point Skynet becomes self aware.

• Locked thread