Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

did they fix dynamic so it actually matches your velocity? it used to zero faster than your actual inaccuracy iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Dot crosshair supremacy

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

according to some pro's video on the subject i saw a while ago yes but i couldn't find it now if you asked me to. The whole point of stutterstepping is it should be pretty loving fast though.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

There isn't a single command, you could write a script but at that point you should probably be spending that time practicing stutter-stepping. training_aim_csgo2 is a good map for stutter-step practice :shrug:

E: Here's a video of friberg explaining the settings a bit on an older, uglier version of the map:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOrhUlsUz3g

surc fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 26, 2016

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I agree with the above post, but I'd also add this reflex aim map to your library as well: https://youtu.be/KDUsp478E3Q

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I love watching Scream aim train with an ak. He uses it like it's a semi automatic. I may actually try practicing that since I've always been garbage with spray and that feels the most natural.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
If you're only gonna tapfire the AK you may as well just buy the deagle

Atleast that's what I would do if my deagle, overall skills, movement, timing and aim wasn't complete trash

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

i truly believe that spraying for everything that is not greater or equal to the distance from dust2 pit to ramp is the best option in all situations

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I'm actually only going to use the R8 until Overwatch is released so I can practice my Mei right click.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Smithereens posted:

i truly believe that spraying for everything that is not greater or equal to the distance from dust2 pit to ramp is the best option in all situations

spraying is really strong and will carry you a long way for sure. you also look cool when you get that 3K spray transfer with the m4

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

qhat posted:

You can fix it usually by changing resolutions and or opening steam overlay

Huh, I'm sure I've tried the steam overlay while I've had that bug. I guess I'll try it again. Thanks :tipshat:

sleppy posted:

I love watching Scream aim train with an ak. He uses it like it's a semi automatic. I may actually try practicing that since I've always been garbage with spray and that feels the most natural.

You're about to get extremely familiar with how inaccurate the AK is at range.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 26, 2016

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

fennesz posted:

You're about to get extremely familiar with how inaccurate the AK is at range.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I agree with the above post, but I'd also add this reflex aim map to your library as well: https://youtu.be/KDUsp478E3Q

I assume there isn't some other reflex map (at work, so no YouTube for me) so I 100% agree this should be in your library, I think it's the best training map overall. I don't find it very useful for stutter-step, but If I'm doing just an aim practice session, I usually warm up and/or practice stutter-stepping on aim_training, then switch to the reflex map for the biggest chunk of time, then I bite the bullet and do spray control (I cannot get over my laziness about spray control :( ) on Recoil Master

E:

fennesz posted:

Huh, I'm sure I've tried the steam overlay while I've had that bug. I guess I'll try it again. Thanks :tipshat:

FYI the UI glitches are the most inconsistent things ever, so sometimes it will work, and sometimes it won't, for no discernable reason. The resolution switch usually works, but is such a pain I usually just deal with it, if it's not radar being gone. You can also try just opening up the in-game menu with escape as another sometimes-fix.

surc fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 26, 2016

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

sleppy posted:

this is actually not the way to play anymore, back in the day when ScreaM might have been top 5 in the world ADAD spam was a thing. These days ScreaM actually holds his teams back some rounds from not understanding spray control which imo is way more beneficial to learn.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Turns out you need to know more than clicking heads to succeed in CS

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

idiots scream doesn't play csgo. He's trying to destroy everyone else's head so that his hair is the only one left

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Photex posted:

this is actually not the way to play anymore, back in the day when ScreaM might have been top 5 in the world ADAD spam was a thing. These days ScreaM actually holds his teams back some rounds from not understanding spray control which imo is way more beneficial to learn.

yeah but you don't see anyone in a commercial saying, "they talk about my sprays"

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

to meme aiming is about precision

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

sleppy posted:

yeah but you don't see anyone in a commercial saying, "they talk about my sprays"

https://youtu.be/g-b97qKLRbE

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Shots fired.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Xenaero posted:

I just got a 144hz 24", personally, I can't even tell there's any tearing at 120+ fps. Maybe in a few months I'll see it, but I can't imagine it's with nearly as much severity as 60hz monitors are.

GSync etc seems like a sham for the extra money you're paying.

gsync's not for high framerates, it's for low ones. most games don't run at 144fps at 2560x1440 with everything turned up, but they look like they are almost perfectly smooth even even down to ~50 on a gsync monitor.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

it's a super dumb commercial but really it's kind of silly to be like, "well you think you can aim? cause you missed a shot once"

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure i could cut together several seconds of myself playing like a pro.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

it's a super dumb commercial but really it's kind of silly to be like, "well you think you can aim? cause you missed a shot once"

One of the clips is a glock as well which more or less necessitates ungodly amounts of luck to land consistent shots.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

RyokoTK posted:

I think it was just the timing, they aired that, and then he proceeded to get owned

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I actually am interested in making training maps for specific needs such as peeking, stutter stepping, jump scouting and maybe some more tactical stuff like automatically putting a bot (that can't move, but can shoot) on every conceivable nook and cranny to train the sequence of checking everywhere in the right order as you proceed to a site.

I've never done modding or map making stuff before, but I did recently graduate with a major in CS, so I think I can pick it up quickly (question mark?).

Do you guys know of any good resources/tutorials to get started? Google shows the most popular results, but not necessarily the best ones.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

A Computer Science degree will not really help you with map making, although if you graduated with a Counter-Strike degree than I apologize for misunderstanding and it will help quite a lot.

There are already pretty solid training maps out there for most things that matter, but if you're just interested in learning to make maps for CS:GO, you will need:

A) The hammer editor (This is what you need to learn to make the maps -- It's free, in steam you can go Library > Tools and download it.)
B) An understanding of how the good maps in CS:GO are designed.
C) An understanding of what makes the bad community made maps bad.

If you're looking to make practice maps for peeking, stutter-stepping, and jump scouting, I'd say check out the AIM_ maps and 1v1 arena maps in addition to looking through 1-person practice maps specifically for those things, as the AIM_/1v1 stuff is designed pretty much specifically for using the stuff you're talking about against other people, and will give you good ideas for angles/obstacles.

Also gently caress Hammer, UnrealEd for life.

E: Oh also for the love of god, design your maps before you start trying to make them in Hammer, or you will be fighting design while having to make huge effort changes in the tool and it will drive you crazy. You will still have to do multiple revisions in the editor, but plotting it out first in photoshop/illustrator/paint/a piece of graph paper will make your life so much easier. I've seen multiple people burn out quick on making stuff because they do not believe this.

surc fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 27, 2016

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I still suggest ffa, there's a guy on every corner, you learn to shoot, shoot under pressure and at humans because bots don't move like humans

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

surc posted:

C) An understanding of what makes the bad community made maps bad.

for example, Nuke.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Famethrowa posted:

for example, Nuke.

There are too many things going wrong in Nuke to learn from when you're just starting.

E: :( (I wanted new nuke to be good so badly, and it juuuuuuust misses in so many ways)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

unreal editor is honestly way better than literally anything else

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

surc posted:

There are too many things going wrong in Nuke to learn from when you're just starting.

E: :( (I wanted new nuke to be good so badly, and it juuuuuuust misses in so many ways)

Spawn is still too far away
Impossible to tell what site deaths are happening at on the minimap
Why even have outside?
Catwalk is hilariously unfair to site defenders
Still pretty much instant rotations on CT side
If you lose pistol, you lose the game.
Why bother going roof as T? You'll only get picks if CT's are playing dumb.

...Yeah there is a lot going on that is bad

Sucks since a vertical map is a really cool idea. Just, with the meta that Counterstrike has, vertical maps don't seem to work too well. All the balanced maps seem to be boring corridor maps :(

surc
Aug 17, 2004

E:^^^ gently caress you don't make a list :( :( :(

Epic and Valve are excellent examples of different approaches when it comes to documentation and usability, in that Epic understands what those things are.

surc fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 27, 2016

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Why on earth does it matter if he can make a good or bad map in terms of efficiency and occlusion and whatnot when all he wants to do is make very basic looking box map for putting in training stuff? I'm pretty sure he's mostly asking about any form of scripting that you can do to enable stuff like not firing when moving or headshot only or whatever.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

brian posted:

Why on earth does it matter if he can make a good or bad map in terms of efficiency and occlusion and whatnot when all he wants to do is make very basic looking box map for putting in training stuff? I'm pretty sure he's mostly asking about any form of scripting that you can do to enable stuff like not firing when moving or headshot only or whatever.

I was making a throwaway joke because I am still bitter about Nuke replacing Inferno :shrug:

also

surc posted:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Nuke is actually a good map and I'm excited to see how its meta plays out now that pros will have to start playing on it

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

Nuke is actually a good map and I'm excited to see how its meta plays out now that pros will have to start playing on it

the meta is whoever starts on T-side has to catch up from 2-13

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Famethrowa posted:

the meta is whoever starts on T-side has to catch up from 2-13

That hasn't been my experience with the map at all.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
cool i was playing casual for my wildfire 40 headshot mission
i got votekicked because i landed 3 scout headshots and then next round clutched it against people making noise everywhere.
I'm a cheater now or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Vote kicking in casual is about 50% of the fun of casual.