Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Post poste posted:

No, the vast majority of us knew those trophies were bullshit and hated them.

They were made of plastic and had absolutely no weight to them. They were practically designed as a final humiliation for the losers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Kay Kessler posted:

They were made of plastic and had absolutely no weight to them. They were practically designed as a final humiliation for the losers.

Participation was equated to failure.

If anything, those trophies served as a further cementation of materialism as a measure of success by comparison of the different trophies given.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I was on a team where everyone was given participation trophies including the kid with Down Syndrome (me) so everyone who got one suffered from low self-esteem from being told they were no better than a retard.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Post poste posted:

No, the vast majority of us knew those trophies were bullshit and hated them.

Yes, and the vast majority of us know these stories are bullshit and hate them.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Someone started sharing "The adult side of Tumblr" on my Facebook feed and it is ripe with STDH ( and clickbait).

I don't want to be all 'kids these days' but I can't help but wonder if a generation that grew up on participation trophies is especially prone to milking praise on Tumblr over the most mundane thing. They'll share a story of how they stood up for themselves or something and everybody is tripping over themselves on how awesome they are. Like they would have the guts to remind the MacDonald's employee they didn't want pickles in their Big Mac :rolleyes:

These people have always existed, they just have a massive global outlet for their circle jerk

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Lying was invented by millennials.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

oldpainless posted:

I was on a team where everyone was given participation trophies including the kid with Down Syndrome (me) so everyone who got one suffered from low self-esteem from being told they were no better than a retard.

I'm not sure if you're kidding. Do you actually have Down Syndrome?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is from a while back but this guy (if he's real) sounds exactly like my Psychology teacher in high school. He said stuff like that constantly not because he was some funny cool guy who's "one of the kids", but because he was a really big rear end in a top hat. He liked to brag about having Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20 in his class once.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

quote:

When Tim took me out to dinner he asked if he could sculpt me. It was a weird question as nothing on his profile - and nothing he had ever said - indicated that he was a sculptor.

He said, "You'd inspire me. If you let me sculpt you then I would just be inspired to become a master at it."

The next time we hung out I went to his house and he had cleared out his kitchen into a sculpting studio. He closed the window blinds and told me to undress. He then gave me bunches of red grapes and said that I could hold them over myself if I felt uncomfortable. I did as he asked and posed while holding the grapes over everything I didn't want him to see just yet. He put down some newspapers, set down a small lump of brown clay, and went to work at sculpting me.

He was really good at kneading the clay, but didn't sculpt it into any recognizable shape. He asked me a few times if I'd move the grapes away from where I was holding them, but I didn't. He then excused himself to use the nearby bathroom and very obviously was pleasuring himself. It was really uncomfortable so I put the grapes on his counter, threw my clothes on, and left.

After an hour he called to ask me where I went and I told him I was uncomfortable with the situation. He yelled and asked me why I had agreed to do it in the first place, then said he was still going to eat all the grapes.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I'm gonna go ahead and believe this one, because it's too funny not to.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

How do I get to see women naked? Hmmm...

I know! I will buy expensive sculpting equipment and clay and a potters wheel etc. and then the bitches will flock to my house to be nude in my presence. I may even get them to rub grapes on their vaginas.

Grapes that I can eat later. With or without their permission.

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012
Millenials gave millenials participation trophies, right? It's their fault!

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I could totally see some guy being creepy enough to do that. Especially someone she met online.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Panfilo posted:

I don't want to be all 'kids these days' but I can't help but wonder if a generation that grew up on participation trophies is especially prone to milking praise on Tumblr over the most mundane thing. They'll share a story of how they stood up for themselves or something and everybody is tripping over themselves on how awesome they are. Like they would have the guts to remind the MacDonald's employee they didn't want pickles in their Big Mac :rolleyes:

It's okay, the older generations made up for their lack of participation trophies by ruining the economy.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Marenghi posted:

I could totally see some guy being creepy enough to do that. Especially someone she met online.

If a goon will carry a printer to get some I'll believe men will do anything for the puss.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

So there I am, standing in a self-organized single-file line at the local McDonalds. For those few of you who are not aware, this is the superior, and objectively more fair line formation when there are multiple registers. A clearly under-educated employee then loudly instructed the patrons to form multiple lines, and I felt morally compelled to speak up: "Excuse me miss, but that's not the correct way to form lines, please everybody stay in this line and everyone will be optimally served!". The employee looks at me disparagingly, and reiterates her demand for people to form multiple lines. Now irked, I exclaim "We're smarter than that, just stay in place!". Everyone has clearly assessed my superior reasoning and obeys, but a newcomer at the end of the line sees their opportunity to be a miscreant and skip the line. Commandingly, I move to intercept him and explain the benefits of societal fairness to him, but he ignores me. In order to stick up for the public good, I move to physically move him away to keep order, but he pushes me and calls me a "bitch". I called the police for this assault, but they do not arrive in time before the gentleman both gets his food, and by setting his poor example, breaks up the single file line that I tried so hard to maintain. What are the police good for if not to maintain order? I can now understand the apparent sentiment online against the police, and will not be supporting them any longer.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

This is just a joke. It's not even pretending to be anything else.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Marenghi posted:

... So you think it's believable that a woman would agree to it?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Winter Stormer posted:

You'd be surprised but I've met people like that before and generally I've tried to avoid meeting them more than once

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Winter Stormer posted:

STDH-TDH

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

quote:

how do people get in relationships like how does that even happen how do u get the universe to align in ur favour like that

quote:

I know this is a hypothetical question, but I have to tell you my glorious trainwreck of a nerd life.

So I basically met my husband because I yelled across the room to a random girl at anime club (who was talking about doing a Seras Victoria cosplay) that she should cosplay with me >.> We became friends, and sure enough did a Seras & Alucard cosplay together.

And then months later, I was crossplaying as Roy Mustang and my Seras friend introduced me to another girl, who introduced me to this dude who was playing Pokemon HG. I had just gotten SS, so I wanted to trade with him. And idk, apparently this guy thought the crosdressing nerd who wanted his pokemon was attractive. And now five years later, we’re married.

Also, one of my friends is in her current relationship because my bf had a League of Legends ringtone and forgot to silence his phone in class.

So, like, this fandom thing works, kids.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

On the other hand, the more they pair up among themselves...

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Virgin

http://imgur.com/a/as1H7

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Compelling arguments imo.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

A friend of mine helps schools deal with sexual harassment/assault/stalking claims between students. This poo poo definitely happened.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

BrigadierSensible posted:

How do I get to see women naked? Hmmm...

I know! I will buy expensive sculpting equipment and clay and a potters wheel etc. and then the bitches will flock to my house to be nude in my presence. I may even get them to rub grapes on their vaginas.

Grapes that I can eat later. With or without their permission.

I feel like I have seen this or a painting equivalent on a sitcom and possibly one decades old

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

But how can she slap?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

People who self-identify as nerds are the worst.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Women are just stupid sluts who make up creepy pms like that for attention, I make sure to tell them that when I start sending them abuse for not responding to me on tinder. loving cunts.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
“I stole some ketamine from the vet and injected it. I think there’s something wrong. Can I sue him?”
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3xfw1s/vet_clinic_is_using_tainted_ketamine/

Not sure if this one has gotten posted here. Even if it's fake this is just amazing in every way.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

It always annoys me how often you hear the "my eyes change colors depending on my mood" thing. I've heard that claimed so many times but have never actually seen it. I mean maybe it's a real thing, but I'd wager that most people posting about it on the internet are just willing themselves into believing they totally saw a color change once so they can join the special snowflake club.

As for hair color changing with mood...can't say I've ever encountered that one. Someone's been reading/watching harry potter too much I think.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well it's been often said that being frightened turns your hair white, no idea if that actually happens

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tracula posted:

“I stole some ketamine from the vet and injected it. I think there’s something wrong. Can I sue him?”
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3xfw1s/vet_clinic_is_using_tainted_ketamine/

Not sure if this one has gotten posted here. Even if it's fake this is just amazing in every way.

Posted in troll confirmation but not that different from a real TCC post.

Jay Rust posted:

Well it's been often said that being frightened turns your hair white, no idea if that actually happens

Sort of. Stress can increase the rate of hair loss, and you usually preferentially lose older hairs.

If your hair is already starting to go gray, then stress makes you shed more of your older, less-gray hairs, and what's left is a lot whiter.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Apr 27, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think some dumber people don't realise how much the lighting in a room changes your eye colour either. I have bright blue eyes but in shade or dim lighting they'll look almost brown if you're not up close. Also almost everyone is super bad at remembering eye colour in others so it wouldn't surprise me if some thicko thought "wow my eyes are way brighter than last time" when really they look the exacta same.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The clothes you wear can also effect it quite a bit, to say nothing of makeup. I have green eyes, but they look blue-grey when I wear cool-toned things, and almost yellow when I wear bright colors. It also means I look waaay more stoned than I actually am when I smoke, because the green sort of intensifies the red and I end up with Christmas eyes.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I have brown eyes that look hazel or green during spring and summer, but my theory is that it's mostly the sunlight and that I tan easily.

As a kid on the internet I told people I had one purple eye and one silver eye because I was a huge dork who wanted to be an anime.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Crow Jane posted:

The clothes you wear can also effect it quite a bit, to say nothing of makeup. I have green eyes, but they look blue-grey when I wear cool-toned things, and almost yellow when I wear bright colors. It also means I look waaay more stoned than I actually am when I smoke, because the green sort of intensifies the red and I end up with Christmas eyes.

My eyes are a greenish grey and I get a similar effect, which is reason 80065 why I never get high.

Verisimilidude posted:

I have brown eyes that look hazel or green during spring and summer, but my theory is that it's mostly the sunlight and that I tan easily.

As a kid on the internet I told people I had one purple eye and one silver eye because I was a huge dork who wanted to be an anime.

:3: Cute. Kids are weird.

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

cash crab posted:

My eyes are a greenish grey and I get a similar effect, which is reason 80065 why I never get high.

:3: Cute. Kids are weird.

There's some stdh, cash crab eating all that garbage in the AFP thread sober

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tracula posted:

The comments are incredible. I know it's probably a troll, but he plays it pitch-perfect.

"I didn't steal it. I just took it when no one was looking."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Yeah, that was noted troll Klairvoyant who admitted to like half the stories that got posted on Legal Advice. Her stories were still fun, though.