Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Hey California goons, I know we have several Inland Empire and Los Angeles goons. Anybody have any experience with Hatch chiles? Kenji goes on about them in this green chile chicken stew recipe, so I looked them up and they appear to be a local, seasonal thing. https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/product-category/fresh-hatch-green-chile/

Anyone have any experience with them? I live in North Hollywood, so I thought I might check them out when the season starts. God bles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Hatch is just a brand of New Mexico chili peppers. There are plenty of others. You can buy them at Aldi and trader Joe's year round in small cans. I haven't lived in Los Angeles but when I lived in Kansas they were also available frozen at places like Whole Foods/Sprouts and yeah when it was chili season you could buy them at the grocery store for awhile.

I live in New Mexico now, and did before so I searched them out when I was in Kansas and they're everywhere all the time obviously but they aren't very hard to find outside of New Mexico in my experience.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

bartlebee posted:

Hey California goons, I know we have several Inland Empire and Los Angeles goons. Anybody have any experience with Hatch chiles? Kenji goes on about them in this green chile chicken stew recipe, so I looked them up and they appear to be a local, seasonal thing. https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/product-category/fresh-hatch-green-chile/

Anyone have any experience with them? I live in North Hollywood, so I thought I might check them out when the season starts. God bles.

Yeah, Hatch is just a place green chile is grown. As a native New Mexican, it's pretty meaningless as a descriptor as plenty of other places grow great green chile, and not all chile grown in Hatch is great. Personally I really don't like canned green chile at all, but roasted & frozen whole/chopped is fine. I know a lot of places with a decent mexican population also do the fresh-roasted-in-the-parking-lot thing, so if there's a place local to you that does that, just try theirs.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I live on the wast coast and some of the fancy grocery stores will sell them in season. Last year I bought 50lbs and roasted and processed them myself.

I had also forgotten about them, so thanks for the reminder, gonna make pork green chili this weekend!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Man I know we changed the thread title for a reason but my girl from ABQ will straight up fight motherfuckers over green chiles.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Meh. I can never find hatch chilies in Georgia and poblanos work pretty well.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Saw this article posted in GBS of all places and it really irritated me.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Midniter posted:

"A CIA graduate said something ridiculously stupid to me so now all Americans who eat cheap ETHNIC FOOD are racists"

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Croatoan posted:

Anaheim peppers are pretty similar but I find a little mild so if you use them just add something hotter

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

"A CIA graduate said something ridiculously stupid to me so now all Americans who eat cheap ETHNIC FOOD are racists"

And also, because he's never had expensive Chinese or Thai food it doesn't exist in America.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

And also, because he's never had expensive Chinese or Thai food it doesn't exist in America.

With a name like Roberto, he knows what racism is.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

That is obviously because Americans aren't willing to pay for expensive "ethnic" food, so you have to find those little known places where the poor immigrants are willing to pay 30-40 $ per authentic dish, as they did back home.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

what kind of show is "master chef" and how embarassing would it be to appear on it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rick Bayless is gonna be pissed when he finds out you can't get fancy Mexican food in America

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Trebuchet King posted:

what kind of show is "master chef" and how embarassing would it be to appear on it?

MasterChef UK and Australia are two pretty damned great traditional cooking competition shows. The US version features Gordon Ramsay and is, from what I've seen, a bit more in your face and simplified. As far as reality television goes it's fairly low on the embarassment scale, I'd say.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Later in the year the owner of the Square Pub in Decatur goes to NM with a truck to buy up a shitload of them. They have a roasting party and they will sell some of them off of you ask.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Also chili peppers are really easy to grow if you really really can't find them

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

The Midniter posted:

There's a cheap Asian smorgasbord where I live called Lucky Buffet that serves typical "Chinese" food that's usually pretty yummy and costs $10 for all you can eat. It's one of those places that has a little ceramic cat and a gold buddha and they play oriental flavored muzak over the PA system. It's staffed by Asians with one or two people who speak English manning the cash register.

Anyway, one day there was a tour bus that stopped by and I kid you not 30 or so Asian tourists (mostly old people) poured into the place and ate it dry. They couldn't serve everyone fast enough so we had to wait 15-20 minutes for the cooks to restock everything. I can't believe all those little old Asian grandmas and grandpas were so racist against the Asians at the Asian owned and operated cheapo Asian restaurant.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 27, 2016

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
RE hatch chiles, I might as well try them when I can get those New Mexico-legit peppers. A benefit of living in California, I guess. Also that Washington Post article, good god. The author seemed to know what he was talking about but the interviewer did not.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

DekeThornton posted:

MasterChef UK and Australia are two pretty damned great traditional cooking competition shows. The US version features Gordon Ramsay and is, from what I've seen, a bit more in your face and simplified. As far as reality television goes it's fairly low on the embarassment scale, I'd say.

well, I can't go to the open call thing because of work commitments, but I might be able to do the send-a-video application thing. Thanks!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I can't begin to describe how completely moronic that "ethnic food" article is.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

That's loving stupid. One of my favorite local "Put nicer clothes on it's got more then one $ on yelp" joints is a Thai place. I mean, not super expensive, but about 60 bucks a person if you do it up.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
In Reno you need at least three stars before you change out of a t shirt. But a suit is also acceptable at a one star.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Wiggles posted:

In Reno you need at least three stars before you change out of a t shirt. But a suit is also acceptable at a one star.

Nicer clothes means "No Flip Flops, remove and replace anything with mud on it, except for the jeans, you've only been wearing them two days I guess" here in the swamplands.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
look what I made for dinner tonight!

its steak with mushrooms in butter-wine sauce and roast aspergersgus! (:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

DekeThornton posted:

Additionally the UK version at least has an amateur and professional version which have quite different format. All the regional variants have much less "drama" than the likes of Top Chef. I don't think the UK one even has prizes. Go for it, I reckon.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Nooner posted:

:thumbsup:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Nooner posted:

Good job duder! You need to try making a hollandaise next for the asparagus. If you do it right it's way better than the sludge most restaurants serve. If you have an emersion blender then I could teach you a trick that makes it super easy and only takes like 5 minutes to make.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Croatoan posted:

Good job duder! You need to try making a hollandaise next for the asparagus. If you do it right it's way better than the sludge most restaurants serve. If you have an emersion blender then I could teach you a trick that makes it super easy and only takes like 5 minutes to make.

:justpost:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well ok. Take a stick of butter and nuke it until it's super hot. Start blending it and add in 2 egg yolks and one whole egg (I have the eggs prepped in another cup because you don't want the butter to cool and you already have one hand busy with the blender). Add the lemon juice and salt to taste. The butter basically cooks the eggs and the blending whips it into the same creamy hollandaise we all know and love. If it's not thick enough to your liking you can nuke it for another minute and then blend it again. Turns out great 100% of the time.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Scientastic posted:

I can't begin to describe how completely moronic that "ethnic food" article is.
Yeah. Protip for people wanting to write about "ethnic food" and how it differs from Just Plain Food: it's about VIctorian-era colonialism. "Ethnic" food comes from countries Europeans went into and started running like they owned the place. Just Plain Food comes from the colonial powers themselves.

Oh, and "ethnic" food is less expensive because the day to day customers who actually pay the bills for the place - usually members of that same cultural group - typically have fewer economic opportunities than non-"ethnic" people and have less money to spend on food. We're not racist because we pay less for ethnic cuisine. We pay less for ethnic cuisine because we're racist.

And there's totally a lot of higher end "ethnic" cooking, just like there's a shitload of cheap Just Plain Food restaurants, from your greasy spoon diner to Olive Garden to Sizzler. Liking (or for some, needing) cheap food is pan-cultural.

That article is bad and there's a book making the same argument and it will be bad too.

Nooner posted:

Nooner I am super proud of you and your food. I'm glad you stuck around.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Croatoan posted:

Well ok. Take a stick of butter and nuke it until it's super hot. Start blending it and add in 2 egg yolks and one whole egg (I have the eggs prepped in another cup because you don't want the butter to cool and you already have one hand busy with the blender). Add the lemon juice and salt to taste. The butter basically cooks the eggs and the blending whips it into the same creamy hollandaise we all know and love. If it's not thick enough to your liking you can nuke it for another minute and then blend it again. Turns out great 100% of the time.

So you don't clarify the butter?

bartolimu posted:

Yeah. Protip for people wanting to write about "ethnic food" and how it differs from Just Plain Food: it's about VIctorian-era colonialism. "Ethnic" food comes from countries Europeans went into and started running like they owned the place. Just Plain Food comes from the colonial powers themselves.

Oh, and "ethnic" food is less expensive because the day to day customers who actually pay the bills for the place - usually members of that same cultural group - typically have fewer economic opportunities than non-"ethnic" people and have less money to spend on food. We're not racist because we pay less for ethnic cuisine. We pay less for ethnic cuisine because we're racist.

And there's totally a lot of higher end "ethnic" cooking, just like there's a shitload of cheap Just Plain Food restaurants, from your greasy spoon diner to Olive Garden to Sizzler. Liking (or for some, needing) cheap food is pan-cultural.

That article is bad and there's a book making the same argument and it will be bad too.

Nooner I am super proud of you and your food. I'm glad you stuck around.

In my experience of bopping around Chinatowns and eating in :supaburn: Ethnic Restaurants :supaburn: the biggest distinguishing characteristic is the decor. They're able to charge less because they save money on giving the restaurant any kind of white-people-friendly polish. The cheap tables, cheap plates, and cheap construction look "gross" or "dirty" or whatever to the average middle-class chain restaurant diner.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

CommonShore posted:

Nope. Super easy and I swear by it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Croatoan posted:

Nope. Super easy and I swear by it.

Yeah. I'm not even going to bother bookmarking and/or writing this down because I'll be able to remember it. Friend of mine was looking for a super easy hollandaise recipe.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

CommonShore posted:

Nuking butter technically clarifies it in a life-hacky kind of way. Just gotta scoop out the scum on top and be careful about tipping it out of the measuring cup.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Yeah. I'm not even going to bother bookmarking and/or writing this down because I'll be able to remember it. Friend of mine was looking for a super easy hollandaise recipe.

Also, for bernaise, you can just reduce champagne vinegar, shallots, and tarragon like you normally would, put it in the blender with the egg yolks and mix it up, then with it running, drizzle in your melted butter.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Also, for bernaise, you can just reduce champagne vinegar, shallots, and tarragon like you normally would, put it in the blender with the egg yolks and mix it up, then with it running, drizzle in your melted butter.

Yeah that's actually closer to how I've made hollandaise in the past - bowl of egg yolks over simmering water, hot butter, immersion blender in the eggs, slowly pour the butter into the eggs. Season to taste.

I haven't made it in ages anyway because :effort: and I'm happy to just smash a sunny side or soft poached egg on top of something.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Make your mother sauces with this one cool trick! Chefs hate him!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Croatoan posted:

Make your mother sauces with this one cool trick! Chefs hate him!

The Top 5 things the CIA doesn't want you to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I whisk in tiny cubes of chilled butter for Hollandaise. You get a very very creamy and thick sauce.