Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrtl41oZxOA

##vote KingB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Amoeba102 posted:

In real life, they join games not to play mafia but to get night actions and do whacky stuff.

True.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Amoeba102 posted:

Because they are scum, either in game or in real life. In game, they want to fake disinterest. In real life, they join games not to play mafia but to get night actions and do whacky stuff.

In real life, I try to con the loudmouthed rear end in a top hat into being the Werewolf mod so I don't need to deal with their hubris.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Finally town

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I don't think I'd need a power in RL mafia. Then you can actually read people's tells and such. It's less of a crap shoot.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

confirming that I am very canadian

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's also easy to read people in forums mafia.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

King Burgundy posted:

I don't think I'd need a power in RL mafia. Then you can actually read people's tells and such. It's less of a crap shoot.

Disagree. In my experience, it's a few minutes of dilly-dallying, the moderator getting mad and threatening no-lynch, and then a sudden irrational turbo, usually against whoever tends to get turboed for no particularly good reason.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Disagree. In my experience, it's a few minutes of dilly-dallying, the moderator getting mad and threatening no-lynch, and then a sudden irrational turbo, usually against whoever tends to get turboed for no particularly good reason.

D1 at least. Then scum/wolves start smirking. You can also hear them shuffling to point at people if they're particularly bad at it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

King Burgundy posted:

I agree with this.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

D1 at least. Then scum/wolves start smirking. You can also hear them shuffling to point at people if they're particularly bad at it.

If I ever mod RL games I make lots of noise during the night phase to prevent this.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't ever played mafia in real life. I should probably try at some point.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Max posted:

If I ever mod RL games I make lots of noise during the night phase to prevent this.

If I've learned one thing from RL games, it's that goons from the internet set it to hard mode.

:glomp:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Max posted:

Good tip.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

People I play with are generally discrete enough to not let noise give them away and poo poo like that. And they don't take it that serious or anything.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's also inferior to Resistance anyway.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Amoeba102 posted:

I still need to try that.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Amoeba102 posted:

People I play with are generally discrete enough to not let noise give them away and poo poo like that. And they don't take it that serious or anything.

It got bad enough that the usual mod had to be clear that any rustling or shifting or sounds over the night were legitimate scumtells/hints/points of discussion.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

King Burgundy posted:

I still need to try that.

It's the same but different. It's a lot easier to hit with deductive reasoning, and as bad guy it's a lot easier to keep a straight face.

To that end, I highly recommend Secret Hitler. It's like Resistance, just a bit more fluid.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Amoeba102 posted:

I actually prefer this anyway, since everyone gets to participate the whole way through.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah the lack of player elimination makes the Resistance better for real life play. If the group is way too big, maybe go for 2 rooms and a boom. If the group is small, well play a proper boardgame.

Secret Hitler didn't seem to do much more of interest to me, when reading over it. It seems like one of those dull edge games. Yeah let's add Hitler. Whacky! It made me skeptical from the start so I may not have a unbiased opinion. Other dull edge games being CaH and Exploding kittens.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah the lack of player elimination makes the Resistance better for real life play. If the group is way too big, maybe go for 2 rooms and a boom. If the group is small, well play a proper boardgame.

Secret Hitler didn't seem to do much more of interest to me, when reading over it. It seems like one of those dull edge games. Yeah let's add Hitler. Whacky! It made me skeptical from the start so I may not have a unbiased opinion. Other dull edge games being CaH and Exploding kittens.

I've not played CaH nor Exploding Kittens, but what I like about Secret Hitler is that...Hitler is secret. Both factions are trying to suss out who it is, and I've seen fascists lose for pinging the incorrect Hitler at the end, even though Hitler has been on their side the whole time.

I also like that it has a couple of rounds of, here's a wrench into the game. With resistance it's just, town/good-guys can't afford to pass too many times. With Secret Hitler, a policy is necessarily passed each round, and on certain rounds Stuff Happens.

I can see why one might be skeptical at the concept, but I'd strongly encourage playing! Each game takes about a half-hour, and you could even do it with a standard deck of cards. I have about half the game from a picture of the round order on a whiteboard, but if you (this thread) want(s), I can ask my friend for how to organize and distribute the cards.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
never played CaH? ##vote PM

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

I've not played CaH nor Exploding Kittens, but what I like about Secret Hitler is that...Hitler is secret. Both factions are trying to suss out who it is, and I've seen fascists lose for pinging the incorrect Hitler at the end, even though Hitler has been on their side the whole time.

I also like that it has a couple of rounds of, here's a wrench into the game. With resistance it's just, town/good-guys can't afford to pass too many times. With Secret Hitler, a policy is necessarily passed each round, and on certain rounds Stuff Happens.

I can see why one might be skeptical at the concept, but I'd strongly encourage playing! Each game takes about a half-hour, and you could even do it with a standard deck of cards. I have about half the game from a picture of the round order on a whiteboard, but if you (this thread) want(s), I can ask my friend for how to organize and distribute the cards.

Wait, is CaH...Cards Against Humanity? Am I making this up?

Totally different. Not even comparable.

If not, what is it?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm confused now

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cards Against Humanity is good and fun.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Kashuno posted:

never played CaH? ##vote PM

Cool story, bro.

SirSamVimes posted:

Cards Against Humanity is good and fun.

Truth!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Cards against humanity is a poo poo game. KAshuno SSV scum team spotted.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Prop confirmed town.

also PM is the acronym for PoisonedMushroom.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Amoeba102 posted:

Prop confirmed town.

also PM is the acronym for PoisonedMushroom.

See also: PinterestMom

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Unless Prop is lying about having never played it. In which case, SK.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

That's PMom.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Claiming miller.

Um, this is really interesting because I am, in fact, a miller.

##vote PMush

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

JakeP posted:

Hey y'all I'm a miller

:eyepop:

##unvote I guess gotta process this poo poo

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I played a new social game called SPYFALL with some friends recently, it's pretty neat. Everyone gets a card that has your location and your job on it, unless you're the spy in which case you get a card that just says SPY.

The spy is trying to figure out where they are.
Everyone else is trying to figure out who the SPY is.

You ask a direct question to someone and they answer, then THEY ask a direct question to someone and they answer. It goes around like this until you're accusing someone or the spy is announcing where they are or the time runs out in which case everyone gets to accuse and vote people.

Trick is to be vague enough that you can tell the person you're talking to actually knows where they are while not so obvious that the spy can figure out you're in a zoo or whatevs.

It was fun! Especially with wine! :3:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yah. Heard good things about Spyfall. Never played it though.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Although I have kinda played it inside a game of Mafia where people were asking vague questions about detail in the role PMs to try and catch scum.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Did the entire scum team decide to claim Miller together for laughs?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

No, I kept out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Amoeba102 posted:

No, I kept out of it.

Good plan.