Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

Arsten posted:

It will nag you forever and it will download the installation files in the background. According to many, it will randomly startup a countdown you have to stop or it will begin installation.

My experience was that even closing the countdown timer window didn't stop it as I am not posting from Windows 10, once you see that countdown timer you can defer it until a time they make you set or your 15 minutes but either way once that ball gets rolling you get upgraded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Space Cadet posted:

My experience was that even closing the countdown timer window didn't stop it as I am not posting from Windows 10, once you see that countdown timer you can defer it until a time they make you set or your 15 minutes but either way once that ball gets rolling you get upgraded.

I've gotten multiple conflicting reports about that window. it almost makes me want to experience it for myself......almost.

My fringe situation makes me lucky that I didn't have to deal with it. :(

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Don't forget that Microsoft still has to support XP until 2019 due to POSready.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

dpbjinc posted:

Don't forget that Microsoft still has to support XP until 2019 due to POSready.

Well, yes - but that was also released in 2009. That's pretty much their own fault that they re-released an XP product at the same time as Windows 7. The original XP embedded products expired before the rest of XP somewhere in 2010 or 2011.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Has anyone had any issues with the latest windows 10 update bricking their hard drive? Mine was updating this morning, and after reaching around 25% the computer seemed to lose the hard drive and can no longer boot. It's not showing up in bios either.
Does anyone know if this is a known issue?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Rahul posted:

Has anyone had any issues with the latest windows 10 update bricking their hard drive? Mine was updating this morning, and after reaching around 25% the computer seemed to lose the hard drive and can no longer boot. It's not showing up in bios either.

Seems very unlikely that Windows did that, probably just a coincidence.

It is difficult for software to brick your HDD even if it wanted to.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm having a strange issue- my win10 pc started trying to get an update yesterday, but on reboot it doesn't install. There's no "updating windows" stuff at all during reboot, it just shuts straight down, boots straight back to the desktop and prompts to schedule a reboot to update again. Any ideas?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rahul posted:

I am sorry for the loss of your HDD. Almost without a doubt your HDD coincidentally dies during the update. Probably because of the added stress.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

The Goatfather posted:

I'm having a strange issue- my win10 pc started trying to get an update yesterday, but on reboot it doesn't install. There's no "updating windows" stuff at all during reboot, it just shuts straight down, boots straight back to the desktop and prompts to schedule a reboot to update again. Any ideas?

This is just a guess, but type Recovery into the start menu and to to the modern settings app option. There should be a Restart now option or something similar, which will take you to a blue screen (not the bad kind) where you can Troubleshoot stuff. The options there are different on different computers but have a look through and see if there's anything that let's you restart the computer.

I think there's a menu item to change startup behaviour or boot into UEFI. If you do that, the restart the machine without making any changes to the startup behaviour, it might install the updates.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know how to troubleshoot a wdf01000.sys bsod something about driver_less_equal, only appears occasionaly when playing games. I'm assuming its a driver issue but I dont know how to pin it down.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

track day bro! posted:

Anyone know how to troubleshoot a wdf01000.sys bsod something about driver_less_equal, only appears occasionaly when playing games. I'm assuming its a driver issue but I dont know how to pin it down.

Apparently WDF = Windows Driver Framework, in this context, and that file is a shared runtime library for kernel mode drivers. So getting faults in wdf01000.sys would generally indicate you have some other kernel mode driver that's doing bad things.

If you can get stack traces from the faults it might be possible to trace it to a specific driver, but otherwise there isn't much to do other than uninstall drivers/remove devices one by one and do thorough testing after each removal to test if that one may have been the culprit.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I upgraded a Win7 machine to Win10. Now I have no network access. This PC has 3 Ethernet ports and they are all acting the same - when I try to diagnose the connection, it says 'local area connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration'.

The network was working fine before Windows 10 and works if I boot from an Ubuntu livecd.

Thanks for any advice.

Possibly relevant - virtual box is installed but the bridge networks seem to have been removed during the upgrade.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Facebook app keeps logging me out with an annoying regularity - not during use, but it seems like every couple of days it needs logging back in to. Is that a known issue or is it just terrible?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

taqueso posted:

I upgraded a Win7 machine to Win10. Now I have no network access. This PC has 3 Ethernet ports and they are all acting the same - when I try to diagnose the connection, it says 'local area connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration'.

The network was working fine before Windows 10 and works if I boot from an Ubuntu livecd.

Thanks for any advice.

Possibly relevant - virtual box is installed but the bridge networks seem to have been removed during the upgrade.

I think I remember seeing something before about incorrect network drivers being used post-upgrade. Try downloading correct ones on another machine and transferring them over.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

isndl posted:

I think I remember seeing something before about incorrect network drivers being used post-upgrade. Try downloading correct ones on another machine and transferring them over.

Intel says the adapter has 'in-box' support only, which I think means the only drivers come from Microsoft.

E: found drivers for the onboard realtek, will try in a moment

e2: no change

taqueso fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 21, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

taqueso posted:

Intel says the adapter has 'in-box' support only, which I think means the only drivers come from Microsoft.

E: found drivers for the onboard realtek, will try in a moment

e2: no change

Tried a bunch of troubleshooting from the internet, couldn't get anything to work. Most of the "reset winsock catalog" type commands gave me more errors.

I just rolled back to Win7 and everything seems to be OK. I'll try a fresh install of 10 when I have more time to play around.

I like that Microsoft is immediately suggesting I Get Windows 10 now that I'm back in 7.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Goatfather posted:

this was fixed by emptying %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution :toot:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The Facebook app keeps logging me out with an annoying regularity - not during use, but it seems like every couple of days it needs logging back in to. Is that a known issue or is it just terrible?

a little column A, a little Column B. For what it is worth they have been betaing a completely rebuilt client. If you can get in the beta somehow http://www.winbeta.org/news/facebook-beta-for-windows-10-desktop-appears-in-windows-store

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Problem?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

How do you even accidentally program parallax scrolling into the start menu? C'mon Microsoft...

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
insider build?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
yeah its the latest build, with the start menu updates. restarting explorer fixed it. its still kinda buggy though

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

With Windows 10, you can navigate the start menu twice as quickly!

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I think it's just terrible. I've gone stretches of a couple weeks without issue, then a few days in a row where I get logged out each day. I'm hoping the UWP app fixes this (and doesn't suck in general).

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I feel like I already know the answer to this but is there a way to upgrade a Windows 7 license to Windows 10 without assigning it to hardware? I have an unused Windows 7 pro key but I am not going to conceivably use it before the deadline

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I feel like I already know the answer to this but is there a way to upgrade a Windows 7 license to Windows 10 without assigning it to hardware? I have an unused Windows 7 pro key but I am not going to conceivably use it before the deadline

No, the upgrades all create a hardware ID and it will automatically authenticate if installed on that hardware in the future.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

It's been mentioned the answer is no, it ties to hardware; but further to that, I remember reading on here that there is no such thing as a Windows 10 key, only 8.1 with upgrade rights to 10.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Whizbang posted:

With Windows 10, you can navigate the start menu twice as quickly!

i havent navagated the start menu since windows xp

use the search you ingrates

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Lame I figured as much, thanks. I guess ill have to sell it

The Goatfather posted:

i havent navagated the start menu since windows xp

use the search you ingrates

for real, this is a hidden pet peeve of mine. I never point it out in person but... just press the windows key and type the first [x] letters and press enter everybody lol

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Lame I figured as much, thanks. I guess ill have to sell it

for real, this is a hidden pet peeve of mine. I never point it out in person but... just press the windows key and type the first [x] letters and press enter everybody lol

except when you pin an exe to the start menu and you can't loving search for it because???? :downs:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

ILikeVoltron posted:

except when you pin an exe to the start menu and you can't loving search for it because???? :downs:

Or don't have a windows key. :smugbert:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Which is why Launchy is superior. Also, it learns which thing you want to run when you type say "fi", rather than always presenting things in alphabetical order.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

hooah posted:

Which is why Launchy is superior. Also, it learns which thing you want to run when you type say "fi", rather than always presenting things in alphabetical order.

yep, let's use 3rd party tools to solve things that worked fine in windows 7 + 8 (maybe even XP)

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

HalloKitty posted:

It's been mentioned the answer is no, it ties to hardware; but further to that, I remember reading on here that there is no such thing as a Windows 10 key, only 8.1 with upgrade rights to 10.
Buy this, and it comes with the key on the CoA, as usual. Is this not what you mean?

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

ILikeVoltron posted:

yep, let's use 3rd party tools to solve things that worked fine in windows 7 + 8 (maybe even XP)

I used Launchy in XP and Windows 7 because it was much, much faster than using the native start menu search.

This year I got a new PC and haven't bothered to install Launchy because the native Windows 10 start menu search is fast enough for me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ILikeVoltron posted:

Except I used it on those operating systems as well because it's simply better, at least for my use case.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I used Launchy in XP and Windows 7 because it was much, much faster than using the native start menu search.

This year I got a new PC and haven't bothered to install Launchy because the native Windows 10 start menu search is fast enough for me.

Except when it refuses to index an application for whatever unexplainable reason. Steam? Fine. GitKraken? Nope can't find it. Discord? Yes sir. Mumble? Can't find it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Except when it refuses to index an application for whatever unexplainable reason. Steam? Fine. GitKraken? Nope can't find it. Discord? Yes sir. Mumble? Can't find it.

This is exactly why I switched to classic shell. I was willing to give the native start menu a chance, but it failed the test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

taqueso posted:

This is exactly why I switched to classic shell. I was willing to give the native start menu a chance, but it failed the test.

As far as I can tell, on the insider builds the start menu now lives as shortcuts located in c:\programdata\somethingiforget. This should mean no more goddamn buggy bullshit not finding apps.