Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I vaguely remember someone somewhere working on a WoD fansplat that was basically Prototype: the RPG. I have no idea if it went anywhere or was any good (probably not to both).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
World of Darkness homebrew is principally an opportunity to examine cases of cargo-cult game design outside the D&D mold.

"Wouldn't it be cool to put Scanners in the WoD? Step one: make a bunch of splats that didn't exist in the movie..."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A lot of these ideas suffer from 'Why bother putting them in the World of Darkness'?

A game about people who are the host-partners to sentient alien infections and who strive to temper the monster with humanity would be cool, but what would it really benefit from being dropped into a world of sexy rear end in a top hat vampires and werewolf spirit cops?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
And anyway, the big problem with "what if Beast was a game about playing as someone struggling against the monster lurking within them urging them to give in to their terrible instincts, and the conflict is between that inner demon and your own humanity" is that this is basically Vampire's thesis statement. At that point why not just play Vampire?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

World of Darkness homebrew is principally an opportunity to examine cases of cargo-cult game design outside the D&D mold.

"Wouldn't it be cool to put Scanners in the WoD? Step one: make a bunch of splats that didn't exist in the movie..."

My principal example within this is nWoD fan's obsession with X-splats and Y-splats. Every idea I've seen for a homebrew nWoD line starts off with "Creature: the Title. You play a Creature. There are five X-splats and five Y-splats." of some kind, completely oblivious to what purpose X-splats and Y-splats should serve, or why there should be five of them. And there's always 5x5, despite the fact that Changeling had 6x4. (And oVampire primarily ran on only 7 X-splats, while oWerewolf had a 13x5x3 model.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LatwPIAT posted:

My principal example within this is nWoD fan's obsession with X-splats and Y-splats. Every idea I've seen for a homebrew nWoD line starts off with "Creature: the Title. You play a Creature. There are five X-splats and five Y-splats." of some kind, completely oblivious to what purpose X-splats and Y-splats should serve, or why there should be five of them. And there's always 5x5, despite the fact that Changeling had 6x4. (And oVampire primarily ran on only 7 X-splats, while oWerewolf had a 13x5x3 model.)

Beast had the same problem, The Hungers are all kind of ancellary to the game, and there are clearly correct choices, (E.G. Be a Tyrant, literally everything the other hungers do can be warped through the lens of a Tyrant. Being a Nemesis is probably the worst thing you can do because of how narrow you have to define your focus). But the X splat suffers too, Ugallu weren't concieved of until late in the playtesting cycle, and couldn't fly until one of the Playtesters pointed it out to them. To reiterate: The beast who's entire shtick is "Attacks you from above" couldn't fly until someone pointed it out.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Don't forget the part where Makara are just 'gently caress the ocean' without any nuance or thought.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kai Tave posted:

I vaguely remember someone somewhere working on a WoD fansplat that was basically Prototype: the RPG. I have no idea if it went anywhere or was any good (probably not to both).

That may have been me, because I got inspired from an old, barely-finished fansplat (Pathogen), then the wind got knocked out of my sails by Deviant being announced. I still tinker with it quietly, and it has more or less nothing left to do with Pathogen.

Yes, it me, im fansplatter (at least I havent published it anywhere [yet])

Kurieg posted:

Beast had the same problem, The Hungers are all kind of ancellary to the game, and there are clearly correct choices, (E.G. Be a Tyrant, literally everything the other hungers do can be warped through the lens of a Tyrant. Being a Nemesis is probably the worst thing you can do because of how narrow you have to define your focus). But the X splat suffers too, Ugallu weren't concieved of until late in the playtesting cycle, and couldn't fly until one of the Playtesters pointed it out to them. To reiterate: The beast who's entire shtick is "Attacks you from above" couldn't fly until someone pointed it out.

The playtest stories that came out of Beast are interesting to say the least.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Daeren posted:

The playtest stories that came out of Beast are interesting to say the least.

Got a source on these? I'd love to read them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LatwPIAT posted:

Yeah I ran into that issue when I first tried doing that Toku fan-splat idea of mine years ago, although I'll admit I didn't understand World of Darkness rules very well back then, as I only had the core book and none of the splats in physical format

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Falconier111 posted:

For that matter, you could spin this a little for the alien thing. instead of being turned into beasts, you get abducted by aliens and turned into one of them so they can keep their numbers up. You struggle to choose between empathizing with humanity and following the inhuman call of your alien creators (morality stat!), fight against the WoD bullshit that followed your creators here, replace the Dark Mother with said creators fused with Talsoth's idea and have them setting loose you and your comrades to throw up a smokescreen of destruction and shenanigans they can hide behind, etc, etc, etc.

Doresh posted:

Or you make it like in Parasyte where the alien entity that was supposed to take over your body failed in doing so and is now forced to join you in some jolly co-operation.

But since this is the WoD, the co-operation will probably not be all that jolly.

Poltergrift posted:

Was working on a concept semi-similar to this a while back -- except the parasites/foreign entities didn't fail to take over humans' bodies; in fact, they basically replaced the immune systems and important internal organs of the infected. But the parasites had a limited understanding of human society, so they'd retain the human's original consciousness to use to fit in with the herd, etc.; if that consciousness became a threat or useless to the parasite, it would just pare it down until the brain was compliant and barely sentient (which was how the Humanity-equivalent worked).

I love that everyone has kinda came up with the same idea and I'm pretty sure that you've read that fan splat that was based off the video game Prototype, which kinda inspired me. This is my concept for Alien: The Invasion: you're a human that has been infected with an alien organism but the organism hasn't fully taken you over, be it some fluke in your body or the infection vector was unreliable. The titular alien is an unknown, nobody is really sure where it came from, how it did, or how long it's been around. It could be a recent arrival or been waylaid in the Antarctic ice for eons and only recently unveiled (you can see where I'm going with this). What you do know is that the alien has stored it's knowledge and experience in it's genetic memory, replicated and decentralized into fragments that are now contained in you. You get glimmers of its past or its motives. You also have some symbiotic control over the infected body part. When you're infected, you're infected for good: it's like a cancer, you can excise the tissue but you're not guaranteed to be rid of it. Suicide also not an option, not unless it involves inflicting massive trauma, ingesting large amounts of poisonous or corrosive chemicals, or setting the body on fire, because the infection will take over the rest of the body as you're dying and it wins. So, the option is to find other infected, discover what it's plans, and stop them.

Since it's a White Wolf game, the "families"/"tribes" I came up with were based off the body part you have the most control of or where the infection has been isolated: the Hand or the Arm, the muscle, where the parasite, spore, or infection got trapped and allows you to do cool strength tricks, transform into gnarly weapons and the other poo poo see in Parasyte or Prototype; the Heart, where the infection has transformed the heart and surrounding cardiovascular tissue into providing superhuman endurance, speed, strength; the Body, who have not only the ability to mimic other people, but, at higher-levels, mimic other lifeforms, create themselves into chimeras (the image I want is a guy who has transformed his hands into wolf and alligator heads), create orifices that can be used to attack or store stuff; the Spine or Backbone, who have superhuman reflexes and willpower due to the infection rebuilding their central and peripheral nervous system. I'd want to make one the Brain, but I'm not sure what to do with that, maybe psionic stuff.

Opponents would be higher-level infected symbiotes, who are cannibalizing others to gain more memory and powers; the CDC, who've realized there's these outbreaks going on; a biomedical corporation, who has some control over the organism and have been using the knowledge gained from samples to develop supersoldiers and the like; "zombies" created accidentally suicides or sudden non-violent death, or intentionally by other symbiotes (the idea is that the organism hasn't gained full control but the host has died, so it's stuck in this "zombie" phase until it can build up a consciousness to take over the rest of the body); and, of course the Alien itself.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

LatwPIAT posted:

A friend of mine (speaking on the topic of a theme the Leviathan fansplat had chosen not to explore) suggested a novel niche that I think Beast could fill, and could be interesting to explore as a metaphor; as a Beast, you play someone who strongly believes that because of their birth they are special and are owed reverence, worship, respect, or an elevated status, and comes face-to-face with a world that does not give a rats rear end that you're the reincarnation of Medusa. To them, you're an ordinary human and they're not going to give you special treatment just because you think you're special and better than them. It would be a game about coming to terms with the fact that you're not any better than other people, and your brand of specialness doesn't actually matter to them.

It'd be an artsy game about exploring a concept, and it would not be one that lends itself to the kind of wish-fulfilment power-fantasy Beast wants to be, and it probably wouldn't end up a very popular game.

This sounds great. I could have used this game when I was a teenager who thought being smart made me better than other people and gave me some vague supernatural background (Splat 1: MENSA) and when I got older and realized my tastes made me better than other people (SPLAT 2: Hipsters). It really sounds like a game about playing overpriveleged Bushes or Kennedys, though. Might be fun to pretend to be an entitled rich kid, and you could spin a whole character archtype out of Jeb!

Wasn't this a Monsterhearts playbook?

Kai Tave posted:

And anyway, the big problem with "what if Beast was a game about playing as someone struggling against the monster lurking within them urging them to give in to their terrible instincts, and the conflict is between that inner demon and your own humanity" is that this is basically Vampire's thesis statement. At that point why not just play Vampire?

Because Vampires are overdone and uncool, and people want to play something different.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 27, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Count Chocula posted:

This sounds great. I could have used this game when I was a teenager who thought being smart made me better than other people and gave me some vague supernatural background (Splat 1: MENSA) and when I got older and realized my tastes made me better than other people (SPLAT 2: Hipsters). It really sounds like a game about playing overpriveleged Bushes or Kennedys, though. Might be fun to pretend to be an entitled rich kid, and you could spin a whole character archtype out of Jeb!

Haha, I was reading one of the descriptions of the Beast business leader who feeds off his oppressed workers and went "So, you can play Rick Snyder poisoning Flint, Michigan? He's just teaching all those poor black folks that it's better to be rich and white." It very much is the Republican Party game.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
The situation in Flint sounds like something cut from Werewolf for being too over the top.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Halloween Jack posted:

Actually, I remember the Scanners one, and I don't think it had "splats" at all. You could pick a favored psi power and I think there was noted to be tension between indie scanners vs. ones who work for the company in exchange for ephemerol.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Mors Rattus posted:

Besides, everyone knows that men become sterile if they ride horses astride the saddle. I mean, that's just science.

I've seen a poster on RPGnet a bunch of years ago claim that he'll never buy or touch Reign due to this.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Libertad! posted:

I've seen a poster on RPGnet a bunch of years ago claim that he'll never buy or touch Reign due to this.

It wasn't just a poster, there was an enormous thread that blew up as a result of this setting detail. Stolze himself put in an appearance largely to scratch his head over it.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Kai Tave posted:

It wasn't just a poster, there was an enormous thread that blew up as a result of this setting detail. Stolze himself put in an appearance largely to scratch his head over it.

"Just why do all these people think that I hate men?"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
This was years before the whole "culture war" thing too.

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

Part 4: Lists of Wicked Traits and Magic

Wicked Ways posted:

The wicked talented a given for wicked characters which is why it's built into the new wicked cliques.

New traits, y’all.

Talents

Ambitious: Spend a zap to add a +1 to magic or combat rolls if the one point will make it a success.

Cold: :geno:. +2 to resist things that alter their emotions.

Critical:

Wicked Ways posted:

The Critical person sees the flaw in everything and the weaknesses in everyone. To them the world is flawed and it’s her job to let everyone know it.

Can spend an action to get a +1 to rolls against a target and ignore a point of their armor.

Cruel: Likes to see people in pain. +1 to rolls against targets they’ve already caused pain to or humiliated.

Liar: A free rank of Fib and can spend a zap to “remove the minus to a fib that show its difficulty”.

Larcenous: A free rank of Urchin and Wealth.

Narcissistic: “The character’s confidence about themselves gives others confidence in them.” Can spend a zap to declare a roll a success once per day.

Snarky: A free rank of Insult and “all minuses caused by her insults are improved by 1”. Which basically looks like it adds an extra point to any penalties Insults cause.

Sneaky: A free rank of Hide and gain a +1 to damage dealt when they’re behind cover.

Whimsical: +2 to see through illusions and resist damage from them.

Heritages

Circeress:

Wicked Ways posted:

When you cross a Circeress, (Or just happen to be around when she’s bored) you might as well be saying “I want to be a toad, or a squid or a two headed cabybara . A Circeress go to spell is to turn the target into an animal be it a person, a thing or another animal.

This is not to say Circeress’s don’t know other spells … they ocassional turn people into furniture, dust motes and jewelry.

Of course this list starts off with the pre-requisite bonuses for Alteration users. Circeresses get a free rank in Alteration, can make a spell to turn someone into an animal permanent for 1 zap and -1 to the Casting roll, and can spend an extra 2 zap to add the Lingering augmentation to an animal transformation.

Commander: +2 ranks to Leader, all of the maneuver bonuses are doubled, the character starts with 10 Allowance points to allocate towards minions, (It doesn’t say whether or not it stacks with the 10 you get for being a Ringleader.) +2 to rolls to see through disguises and hidden characters, and gets a +2 to attacks and damage against a target after a successful attack. If the character is a Ringleader, they should probably take this.

Enchantress: A free rank in Mentalism, Charm, and Scare; mind control and altering spells always use the lowest either the target’s Magic or Will to calculate resistance; and +1 to their Social die.

Echidnist: Wants to awaken Echidna; too insane to realize that they’re just being used by her. Not that this matters because Echidna seems like she should be the last of anyone’s worries in this setting. +2 to rolls when dealing with monsters and non-witch echidnists, can speak the secret language of Echidna which makes them immune to negative uses of her name and something called the “Gibbering of Echidna”, can spend 2 zap and speak the language to give people within 10 feet a -1 penalty to all rolls for a minute if they fail a Hard Will roll, +1 to Casting when invoking the name of Echidna, +2 if the spell causes misery.

Ghulvin: Ghulvins are descendants of Echidna who need to eat other witches, otherkin, and/or humans to heal and regain zap (up to their maximum amount). The favored method of consumption is turning people into foodstuffs, though some go the Hansel & Gretel route and just chuck people into ovens. The WWC officially says they’re a myth while unofficially condemning them, while Highbinders loving love them when they exclusively eat humans. They gain +1 to their Magic die and can spend 2 zap to give themselves a rank of Legendary Strength, Fitness, or Speed (with a max of three, if you can find the rules for the last two) for a minute.

Hate-Blood: Witches who are part Hate, the primordial beings that Echidna made vampires, Ghulvins, and shapeshifters out of. They look normal until they feel any negative emotion, then they gain dark hair, blue or dark purple skin, bat wings, and turn into violent assholes. In this form, they also get a +1 to their Body. In and out of those forms, they also gain night vision, get +1 to resist darkness and shadow spells, can spend a zap to use their wings to fly at 50 mph, and spend a zap to gain talons that let them do +2 damage.

Highbinder: +2 to Casting against mortals, +1 to Casting against “lower class” witches and otherkin, +1 to Magic and Social dies, and can recognize other Highbinders by sight somehow.

Nobility: The Titled talent from Coventry in heritage form. Applies to nobles and royals in power and exile. The blurb suggests that you consult with the DM before taking this since it might affect the other players and game. They get +1 Wealth and 5 extra skill points at creation, get an additional +1 Wealth and +2 to all of their Social rolls when they’re in their homeland, and gain +3 to any roll once per day as they call on contacts from their land.

Shadowmancer: A free rank of Shadow magic, which is explained further in the chapter, and +1 to rolls when using it; +2 to resist shadow magic; can see in the dark; +1 to social rolls with shadow creatures; and “-1 to Casting and +1 to zap” when adding the shadow advantage to spells.

Terror:

The Creepy Kid clique from 13 Magazine in heritage form for witches over the age of 11. Usually unnervingly calm and have a deadpan voice. In other words, they’re Wednesday Addams. They get 2 free ranks of Scare, all of the penalties when they scare someone are doubled; they themselves are immune to fear-causing actions; and when someone is frightened by them, they can spend a zap to either make them lose an action or get a “-1 to casting and +1 to zap” to spells against them.

For new Knacks, we have…

Positive
Claws - +2 to damage when using their freakishly thick nails.
Coquette - +1 to social rolls when interacting with people she’s attracted to. Can only be taken by witch girls tween and up.
Crazy Eyes - -1 to Initiative to one target.
Envious – Can spend a zap to gain +1 to their next roll when a friend succeeds on a roll.
Gluttonous - -2 to resist magical poisons and harmful potions.
Infamous - +2 to social rolls when dealing with other wicked characters.
Monster Whisperer - +2 to social rolls with monsters.
Night Vision – Self-explanatory, but also gets weird-looking eyes.
Pointed Ears - +2 to Senses rolls when hearing.
Screech – Spend a zap and an action to screech. If targets fail an Easy Will roll, they get a -1 to their next roll.

Negative:
Arch Enemy – Must make a Hard Will roll to harm the person they considered to be their arch. Because they define themselves through them and want to keep them around, you see.
Bad Habit - -1 to Life points due to an unhealthy habit like eating only sweets or smoking “despite [witches] being magical”. Yes, it’s been mentioned multiple times that smoking doesn’t harm witches. This knack is an exception because reasons.
Clothes Horse - -1 to Initiative because they spend so much time picking out their outfits and sometimes wear cumbersome ones.
Itchy Spell Finger – When someone annoys them, they have to succeed on a Hard Will roll to not lash out at them magically.
Hater

Wicked Ways posted:

The character loves putting those in positions or regard and popularity down. Being a known hater means the character is -1 when dealing with the rich, powerful and famous.
Monologue – Enemies gain +1 to rolls against the character “starting at round there”.
Maniacal – Succeeding on two rolls in a row forces the character to make a Hard Will roll. If they fail, they start laughing and acting wildly, reveling in their own greatness.
Plotter - -2 to resist being surprised, since they spend a lot of time thinking up plans.
Softy - -1 to rolls against children, animals, and the elderly.
Sun Shy - -1 to rolls in direct sunlight. Can be avoided with an umbrella.

Annabelle Deville posted:

Magic is power and in the end that's what it's all about... POWER!

Yes, I know others would say the disciple and the knowledge is what learning magic is all about, but people who say that either idiots or truly naive.

Take a look at mortals, they have no real power, They may think they do, they may have silly toys like guns and bombs and fear that a big bomb will one day wipe out their so called civilization... but truthfully do you think we're going to let that happen?

We allow them to stay afraid so they don't focus on us. Every witch knows that and every witch worth her wand knows that true power isn't found without it comes from within. And , hence comes the term you should live by.. "Magic unused, is magic abused".

We are magic, our very biology makes magical energy, we can use magical energy and we control pure magical energy, witches are unique in that and you should not neglect that part of your heritage.

The Magic section begins with that and the note that the only thing really stopping witches from destroying whole cities with a wiggle of their finger and having them stay destroyed is the WWC. Lovely.

A lot of the new advantages/augmentations have “Alter Resistance” under their title for some reason.

Addictive: Makes the target addicted to the caster and their magic. -1 to resist the caster’s Social rolls, which can be increased to -3 with each subsequent hit in an hour. Last D6 hours.

Dark: Can be applied to damage-dealing spells to make the target lose a D6’s worth of zap per hit.

Grinding: Will make harmful spells stay on a target and increase the duration and damage MTR of the spell by 1 per round, up to a max of 3.

Horrific: Makes the target make a Hard Will roll. If they fail, they get a -2 to all rolls against the caster and will try to flee from them. Lasts D6 combat rounds or minutes.

Knockback: Targets hit by the spell must make a Body or Athletics (probably the latter since that adds the Body die) vs the spell’s rank + 3. Failure gets them knocked back D4*5 feet. Hitting something makes them take half falling damage. Works on inanimate objects as large as a car as well.

Lingering: Lets the caster recast the spell if it fails a round later instantly at no extra cost.

Subtle: -2 to detection rolls and the spell doesn’t have any visual effects.

Tagging: The spell tags the target, letting them know where they are from up to 50 miles away.

Unstoppable: The spell partly ignore resistance and armor and always does 1 point of damage for 5 dealt normally.

Weakening: The target makes a Hard Magic roll. If they fail, they get a -1 to their Body die for an hour. If it drops to less than 0, they will die in D4 minutes.

Like the Skills section, the Magic section introduces two new types of magic powers: Binding and Shadow. (The book also mentions that they will be similar to the powers that will be explained in the “upcoming” Otherkin book. This book is over a year old and, as of this writing, said Otherkin book has not materialized.) Unlike other types of magic, these types only give one kind of ability per rank.

Binding is a rare, secret art that is difficult to learn and supposedly kept secret from the general witch pop, even though it’s one of the WWC’s primary ways of punishing criminals. Only witches can learn how to do it, and it requires having Curse 6, Healing 3, and Mentalism 3 to do so. Binding people without the WWC’s permission will get you bound or exiled, and undoing a binding notifies everyone involved in the binding. (In case you’re wondering, Millicent, Lucinda’s older sister, can’t bind her. She doesn’t have the required Curse score.)
Rank 1: Can sense if people in the area are bound witches.
Rank 2: Can see the face of the person who bound the person when touching them.
Rank 3: Knows the reasons why a person was bound.
Rank 4: Can actually bind people. This is a Rite roll and can only be done to people with a lower Magic die than the rite leader’s.
Rank 5: Can undo bindings. Also a Rite roll.

Shadow is Obtenebration from oWoD Vampire with different abilities and without the weird focus on tentacles. It gives you night vision for free and replaces all of the shadow abilities that were previously covered by Necromancy. There are no prerequisites listed for it.
Rank 1: Can cover a 5 by 5 foot area per rank in shadows, giving anyone without night vision a -2 +1 per rank penalty to sight rolls.
Rank 2: Can create a hand-to-hand or melee weapon out of shadow. +1 to attack rolls per rank, 5+1 damage per rank, and lasts for a minute per rank.
Rank 3: Can bind a target in shadow, creating a prison of 3 HP and 2 Armor per rank that must be destroyed to free the person.
Rank 4: Fire a blast of shadows that does standard MTR damage. Successful hits cause the target to succeed on a Hard Will roll or get a -2 to all of their rolls for D4 minutes.
Rank 5: Teleport from one shadow to another.
Rank 6: Can turn into a shadow and move as a 2D image along surfaces at double speed. It’s a -4 to detect them and they’re immune to mundane attacks.

Next: Another big equipment section.

Adnachiel fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 28, 2016

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

The situation in Flint sounds like something cut from Werewolf for being too over the top.

The last couple of decades taught me that Werewolf the Apocalypse wasn't nearly as over the top as I thought at the time.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Servetus posted:

The last couple of decades taught me that Werewolf the Apocalypse wasn't nearly as over the top as I thought at the time.

There's probably a good campaign to be made around weresharks fighting the bleaching of the Great Barrier Reef, but that energy would probably be better spent trying to change things in the real world. If you ever need a great WtA villain, just Google 'Australian mining magnate'.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Because I hate myself, and love this thread, I picked up the Beast Fiction Anthology.

The first story is an Eshmaki Nemesis gaslighting and murdering her mother(and framing her mother's boyfriend) with the help of her older, sexy Anakim boyfriend and a shrill harpy of a vampire that's their roommate.

She only expresses any kind of remorse because she lied to her dad about it.

Matt McFarland, you had a chance to save Beast, you have failed utterly.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

There's probably a good campaign to be made around weresharks fighting the bleaching of the Great Barrier Reef, but that energy would probably be better spent trying to change things in the real world. If you ever need a great WtA villain, just Google 'Australian mining magnate'.

I'm Canadian, we could compare evil mining magnates all day.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kurieg posted:

Because I hate myself, and love this thread, I picked up the Beast Fiction Anthology.

The first story is an Eshmaki Nemesis gaslighting and murdering her mother(and framing her mother's boyfriend) with the help of her older, sexy Anakim boyfriend and a shrill harpy of a vampire that's their roommate.

It's unnerving how much I think that idea could be cribbed from a badly drawn mid-2000s Keenspot webcomic.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kurieg posted:

So that's all the pretense gone, huh? Beast really is Abuse: The Pardoning?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hostile V posted:

It's unnerving how much I think that idea could be cribbed from a badly drawn mid-2000s Keenspot webcomic.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kurieg posted:

He failed around the time he talked about the playtest game where one of the players was an emotionally abusive Makara who lured people into relationships and abused them until they absorbed the lesson that some relationships are toxic and should be excised from your life. But it was okay, she wasn't a stalker or anything, and didn't stop anyone who tried to leave her, so really, it was on them.

I'm not exaggerating a loving word of that.

As a man who has been in an emotionally abusive relationship before that was so bad I wasn't able to register it as abusive until she dumped me and I had a panic attack when she texted me a few weeks later asking to hang out as friends, that was the precise moment I went from "maybe he's just really screwing up his intended message" to "Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt, whatever his intended message was doesn't matter."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Daeren posted:

He failed around the time he talked about the playtest game where one of the players was an emotionally abusive Makara who lured people into relationships and abused them until they absorbed the lesson that some relationships are toxic and should be excised from your life. But it was okay, she wasn't a stalker or anything, and didn't stop anyone who tried to leave her, so really, it was on them.

As a man who has been in an emotionally abusive relationship before that was so bad I wasn't able to register it as abusive until she dumped me and I had a panic attack when she texted me a few weeks later asking to hang out as friends, that was the precise moment I went from "maybe he's just really screwing up his intended message" to "Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt, whatever his intended message was doesn't matter."
Christ, that reminds me of the time in the last Exalted thread when someone pointed out that using mind-control charms to seduce someone was pretty much rape, and one of the game's writers said something along the lines of "well, it's their fault their willpower wasn't high enough" or something.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Nessus posted:

Actually, I remember the Scanners one, and I don't think it had "splats" at all. You could pick a favored psi power and I think there was noted to be tension between indie scanners vs. ones who work for the company in exchange for ephemerol.
I think I remember that one too, but really, I just picked an example at random. I wanted an example of "WoDable media that has no trace of splats" besides Highlander. There were definitely Highlander homebrews with splats.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Someone just needs to write Fanbook: The Authoring at some point.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Christ, that reminds me of the time in the last Exalted thread when someone pointed out that using mind-control charms to seduce someone was pretty much rape, and one of the game's writers said something along the lines of "well, it's their fault their willpower wasn't high enough" or something.

What? It isn't pretty much rape, it is rape, and it's the sort of thing that will exist in Exalted by its nature of puting some people on a totally different power scale to others. The only thing I'd change in books in that direction is I'd avoid mentioning sex with the mind control stuff... it being used to abuse mortals is absolutely a thing. Great Curse and all that.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 28, 2016

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Evil Mastermind posted:

For reference:

Holden Shearer posted:

Without commenting on appropriateness:

Most of this cascade can't actually do anything to you until -after- Hot Dracula Guy seduces you, and I think there's a grand total of one Charm to help him get that ball rolling in the first place. If you thought it was a good idea to sleep with Hot Dracula Guy, yeah, you may find your life getting complicated and unpleasant later.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

For reference:

So basically I'm never actually giving these companies money or playing their games, despite finding Hunter kinda cool. Got it.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Thesaurasaurus posted:

For reference:

I think this was the exact plot of a Buffy episode. The Hot Dracula Guy was Dracula.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Thesaurasaurus posted:

For reference:

There's a reason Holden is banned. And don't forget the feat chain that allows you to gently caress someone to death and then summon their shade to telepresence rape people for you.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Daeren posted:

So, Beasts are the Magic Man from Adventure Time. Got it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The lesson is that Beasts are jerks.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If there's something good to come out of the Beast Anthology it made me look back at one of the rules that all the storys were seemingly ignoring and I can now state that Heroes Are actual threats to a Beast.. But then again so's a properly motivated Cop. A Beast that dies outside of his lair doesn't just teleport back to their lair anymore, they die for real. And Beasts are loving squishy, and very few of their powers are multi-target.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kurieg posted:

If there's something good to come out of the Beast Anthology it made me look back at one of the rules that all the storys were seemingly ignoring and I can now state that Heroes Are actual threats to a Beast.. But then again so's a properly motivated Cop. A Beast that dies outside of his lair doesn't just teleport back to their lair anymore, they die for real. And Beasts are loving squishy, and very few of their powers are multi-target.

I'm going to argue this when we get to the mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thesaurasaurus posted:

For reference:
Yup, that was it.

Fun Fact: reading that was the first time I have ever been triggered by something, because I was manipulated into sexual situations by a friend of mine in high school. Being triggered is pretty loving terrible and was one of the worst feelings of my life.

Re-reading it now doesn't bother me; I think it was just a case if it hitting me at just the right mental angle at the time.

Man, I need to get the next Torg post up soon; this thread is getting really dark lately. :(