Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
All Might hosed that dude up. That's badass.

Just means Deku is gonna sneeze at max power and explode the dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It occurs to me, if AFO's big problem is that he can't imbue others with multiple powers, and he has some sort of hope of his brothers power solving this problem for him, why wouldn't he also be trying to produce as many children as possible as an alternate or back up plan?

We know that powers, variations of powers, and combinations of powers can be passed on to children, so wouldn't knocking up a ton of ladies be a possible path towards producing a power that he can steal in order to solve his problem?

Also, why did the author hide AFO's, I'll call it "pre-All Might", face from us?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He hid all the flashback faces. Heck, that included Todoroki's mother for no reason at all. It is a deliberate style.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

wait really i've forgotten and also i am very tired today not my fault ot my fault runs away

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

NecroMonster posted:

It occurs to me, if AFO's big problem is that he can't imbue others with multiple powers, and he has some sort of hope of his brothers power solving this problem for him, why wouldn't he also be trying to produce as many children as possible as an alternate or back up plan?

Probably because he doesn't want the most likely scenario to happen - the child getting his power.

Its All for One, not All for Two.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
He's actually Deku's dad, which is why we never saw him before. All of his children are actually "quirkless" as they are all born with his brother's quirk. Which is itself the power that has made it so that almost all of humanity has powers now, everyone actually has two.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 26, 2016

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
What's the newest chapter out? I'm finding it really hard to keep up since I just got 88 on mangarock this morning but everyone's talking about things I have no clue about.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Chapter 88. What do you not have a clue about?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
it's okay, I still can't see the corpses or bodies or whatever in the part with A4O myself, despite looking really hard for them.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Someone said Baku gets all for one, but I guess that was theorising. This thread moves pretty quick I guess I wasn't keeping up with it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm actually kinda thinking they might get Bakugou back.

I'm not sure how UA survives the scrutiny otherwise, especially if any of the pros get killed and the badguys get away.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

At that point I don't think it's on UA anymore, it's on the entire concept of heroes as a protecting force.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Have we ever gotten an idea of what the Hero society was like before All Might showed up? All Might is considered to be the greatest hero, but he wasn't the first.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Have we ever gotten an idea of what the Hero society was like before All Might showed up? All Might is considered to be the greatest hero, but he wasn't the first.

The same, but less good at handling villains. All Might oversaw a massive drop in criminal activity, largely through sheer intimidation factor.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Stallion Cabana posted:

it's okay, I still can't see the corpses or bodies or whatever in the part with A4O myself, despite looking really hard for them.

Five heroes went in (Jeanist, Orca, Mt. Lady, Tiger, and the unnamed guy), and there are five bodies there.

e: Juuust noticed that "Happiness" sign in the background. That's hosed up, Hori.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Vengarr posted:

Five heroes went in (Jeanist, Orca, Mt. Lady, Tiger, and the unnamed guy), and there are five bodies there.

e: Juuust noticed that "Happiness" sign in the background. That's hosed up, Hori.

OH NOW I SEE THEM

Thanks for the circles

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
You missed Orca, passed out to the lower right of A41's feet

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The same, but less good at handling villains. All Might oversaw a massive drop in criminal activity, largely through sheer intimidation factor.

I wonder who was the #1 hero before All Might. The previous One For All?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

sharktamer posted:

Someone said Baku gets all for one, but I guess that was theorising. This thread moves pretty quick I guess I wasn't keeping up with it.

Ha ha, how would that even work?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Vengarr posted:

Oh wow, I missed this as well thanks. Also, geez, the one in the bottom left is absolutely Mount Lady so that kind of makes it a certainty that they just switched places.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Nine of Eight posted:

You missed Orca, passed out to the lower right of A41's feet

Ahhhhhhh dammit. Totally didn't see him there.

I guess at least one of those guys in the background must be a riot cop, then. Speaking of which, some of those guys have to be dead. No way all those redshirt policemen could withstand a force that leveled a city block in an instant.

Rhonne posted:

They've hinted that it was a pretty rough period, with tons of villains running around and world governments either totally paralyzed or falling apart.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 28, 2016

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Well one of those bodies may be Ragdoll. Probably the two in the back; One Tiger and one Ragdoll

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There may not have been a single top hero. There certainly wasn't a universally recognized "symbol of peace". All Might kind of invented the concept.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'd really love to see a prologue manga or OVA or something that was about All Might's rise to fame. I want to see the first criminal he took down. :allears:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So kinda unrelated, but I thought some people here might be interested, but I just posted a PbP recruit for Masks, Powered by the Apocalypse superhero game.

For setting I took a few cues from MHA. Though more from T&B

Figured I'd post here since I know some people don't go to Trad Games but might maybe be interested?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I bought the first three volumes on Amazon the other day and I gotta say, I'm really unimpressed with the job Viz did. There are a fair number of objective mistakes to go along with my subjective gripes about the soulless translation. Add in the smaller-resolution images and the lack of color pages, which was expected but still disappointing, and it's just a bad deal all-around.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's a pretty dry translation. I can't remember where but there's a few areas where they seem to have hosed up who was speaking what too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm honestly surprised. They don't do this mediocre a job, but god drat it is hard to not prefer the scans even if Bakugo is saying gently caress every five seconds

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Baal posted:

I'm honestly surprised. They don't do this mediocre a job, but god drat it is hard to not prefer the scans even if Bakugo is saying gently caress every five seconds

"even if"?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You'll have to excuse me if I expect your dialogue to be a bit more clever at portraying a character like Bakugo than having him yell out gently caress every panel. That being said the dude who translates those genuinely tried to localize which I don't see any online scans do and even gave little side notes as to what localized character names would be which I thought were cute, so I'm not gonna say he's bad or uncreative.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Baal posted:

You'll have to excuse me if I expect your dialogue to be a bit more clever at portraying a character like Bakugo than having him yell out gently caress every panel. That being said the dude who translates those genuinely tried to localize which I don't see any online scans do and even gave little side notes as to what localized character names would be which I thought were cute, so I'm not gonna say he's bad or uncreative.

I've met people in actual real life who yell out gently caress every panel.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Baal posted:

With Bakugo I can actually see him just yelling gently caress or other curse words constantly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think the specifics of Bakugo's exclamations is all that important, just that he is constantly shouting angrily.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Baal posted:

that makes perfect sense for bakugo. like yeah there are a lot of translators who make everybody swear all the time but in this case it's appropriate.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Normally I'm super against inserting swearing into translations since it's silly and pointless, but yeah with Bakugou I honestly think it works. I can totally see him dropping fuckword after fuckword.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I never said it didn't make sense. I said it's not creative or clever to write. It's a very simple way to portray a character like him, but it's also a loving kids manga based on fantastical superheroes who are all in a superhero high school with their big grinning teacher and I like it if that kind of camp can be kept in the dialogue too. I'm not even saying the dialogue as a whole is bad, just that it feels excessive to do it with this one character even if you think it makes sense and I don't think I'm being unreasonable by saying this.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 1, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I cursed like a goddamned sailor throughout my childhood so Bakugo's dialogue makes all the sense in the world to me.

Granted, I never had superpowers.:smith:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Y'know, compared to real kids i hear nowadays (also back in the days), cursing Bakugou is even unusually restrained and eloquent in his choice of words. The actual 15-year old edgelords running around are much less creative and most are content with just substituting every second or third adjective in random places with 'loving', no matter the topic or mood.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sorry I even said anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Baal posted:

I never said it didn't make sense. I said it's not creative or clever to write. It's a very simple way to portray a character like him, but it's also a loving kids manga based on fantastical superheroes who are all in a superhero high school with their big grinning teacher and I like it if that kind of camp can be kept in the dialogue too. I'm not even saying the dialogue as a whole is bad, just that it feels excessive to do it with this one character even if you think it makes sense and I don't think I'm being unreasonable by saying this.

I pretty much agree with this, even if it makes sense for his character it's kind of too much.

But then again I just get really annoyed when adults co-opt kid poo poo and insist it was made for them, so this just feels like the translators are trying to shift the audience with gratuitous swear words, even if it's appropriate for his character. There was this One Piece translation group that would make all the characters swear and I haaaaaaated it.