Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Anyone up for games later this evening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i opened up my pixel tactics deluxe box and i think i'm missing pixel tactics 4, assuming i'm counting right. anybody else with deluxe, did 4 come inside a second smaller box like 5 did?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Mine did, yes. #4 should have the following characters:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
welp time to contact level 99

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Andarel posted:

Working on Trials playtesting/balance has consumed most of my time but I'd be up for PBF or netmatches.

I'll take you up on PBP, if we can get a mod.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Sounds good.

Sounds the modhorn.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Got a 4 player Purchase Draft of Pixel Tactics DX, 4, 5 and the Commons going at my college's board game club. Despite it taking 2.5 hours combined with a 2v2 game, they all really liked it. One team tried to get all the NotPowerRangers out at once, but kept getting killed before they could really use them. One guy got the Commando common out early with its free attack on Flank and used it throughout the whole match, including fishing it from discard.
Next time, I may just split it into two drafts, then split into two 1v1 games to make things run shorter.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

If you're down for SUPER SIMPLE MODDING like:

O O K O L O O

I could maybe slowly do it. If you wanted to wait until a more proper mod can roll it, I'd understand.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

One question about theoretically getting Pixel Tactics 1-3.
I'm told that there's both old and new printings of these sets. What's a good way to ensure that I get the new printings? Will I just have to order from Level99, or is there some way to tell copies apart on Amazon for Prime reasons?
I'm not getting these right now (still have to exhaust DX,4, and 5), but I want to know for future reference.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there a good "how to play" video for Millennium Blades yet?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Andarel posted:

Sounds good.

Sounds the modhorn.

Send me your character choices!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Wol posted:

Send me your character choices!

Andarel, I'm bringing one of my competition mains. Feel free to do likewise.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Sounds good. Force Gauge, if we're rolling with tournament rules?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Fine by me.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Picking a B team tournament main that I'm looking to promote to A team and therefore need solid practice on. Sent over to Wol.

Andarel fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 23, 2016

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

signalnoise posted:

Is there a good "how to play" video for Millennium Blades yet?

There's the cardboard stacker video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwANmSW4rSs

They get a bunch of rules wrong, but they make up for it with a lot of clarification in the post-production.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Andarel posted:

Picking a B team tournament main that I'm looking to promote to A team and therefore need solid practice on. Sent over to Wol.

Works for me. I'm running Lixis, and I need to adjust to playing her in a world without T2 Cancel.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Lesandra here, since I need someone on my team who doesn't just fold to Tanis and Seth.

Ldsity
May 29, 2015

Which guy?

That Huang Gai?
Im so happy to be able to see matches in action again. I figured a dry spell would happen with the tournament, but daaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
My copy of millennium blades arrived. :3:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Has anyone developed good strategies for the initial shuffle in Millenium Blades? You know, the one where it wants you to shuffle together like 300-400 cards at once (or whatever 13 sets plus core ends up being)? We muddled through but it's kind of a big ask.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Split core set into a pile per player, give them some expansions to shuffle in, merge and split freely for a couple of minutes (2 or 3) and you should be good.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The real suffering in Millennium Blades isn't setup so much as cleanup, I feel.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I might have to contact them, since I did the Millennium Blades prerelease before they switched online stores. Can't wait to pick it up!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So I've put all the cards of Millennium Blades into a spreadsheet. Initial thoughts: There are not very many Myth cards. Also, I kinda knew it, but laying them out highlights it: 1 * cards are extremely rare and valuable, because they only exist in the core and starter decks, and there aren't enough to go around---six eggs, six others, with only one copy of each in the core set. Don't chuck them to get promo cards, in round three you can really bilk people out of their friendship points.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I'm probably going to pick up the rest of the Battlecon stuff I'm missing (Light&Shadow, Fate, Strikers and the Extended editions) but I'm not sure if Armory is worth getting? I'm not sure exactly how much it adds or if the equipment is a good addition.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Fate is worth getting, extended editions are alright, light and shadow is cool but kinda meh unless you plan on playing a bunch of 1vX, armory is alright for a change of pace, strikers is like armory but sillier.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
AHHHH MY MILLENNIUM BLADES HAS SHIPPED!

:australia:

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Played MB again tonight. Got some good Friendship but placed so-so in tournaments, almost split the difference enough on collections but somebody else got The One and I bought too many cards, ended up losing by 3 points :(.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I'd love to get MB but nowhere in the UK has it at the moment :sigh:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I just had a notification that my MB has shipped, should be arriving early next week. Looking forward to it!

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
Got my shipping notification as well.

:australia:

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Has anybody played Pixel Tactics using the draft rules? I'm still a bit unsure as to how I should be going about the draft strategy wise. Which format (Booster or Winston) is overall better? Any tips for creating cohesive decks and choosing Leaders well? What are some common... archetypes(?) that come from drafting?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yes, because it's what we used for the world championship (it was booster, I think?). It's hard to really pin down. Any leader that gives extra actions is a dominant leader (characters like Luc Von Gott or Trias Blackwind). My own character card is built on that notion, of course. There are some characters otherwise like Adjenna that rule because they were balanced around their set, and without cards to specifically counter her, she can dominate. Same is true of some ongoing abilities from heroes or operations. Speed decks from extra actions are dominant, there's also hyper-defense decks using characters like Byron, decking discard strategies to run your foe out of cards (either by eliminating heroes ASAP or just discards from hand), or specialty decks like Adjenna. Pixel Tactics Deluxe and its associated sets have probably changed a lot and it's really hard to give specifics now, the key is just to read a lot of cards and:

1) You want any thing that saves you actions. Action economy is king. It's better than damage, better than defense - those things are important.
2) You'll always need good vanguard defenders unless you're running some weird strategy - Golem, Knight, etc. In general you want to think about where you'll actually be placing the cards and try to have a spread for each phase ready.
3) If you're a speed deck, you're likely to deck yourself out faster, so you have to make it worth it and be able to use it to maintain pressure. Make sure you always have ways of doing good damage, removing heroes, and otherwise maintaining pressure.
4) By no means can you rely on a single combo, you want groups of cards that combo well together.
5) Never forget the orders section! Orders can be immensely powerful and are the big thing you can use to turn a game around.

That's just me mumbling off of the top of my head having nearly been up for 24 hours, but hope it helps.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yes, because it's what we used for the world championship (it was booster, I think?). It's hard to really pin down. Any leader that gives extra actions is a dominant leader (characters like Luc Von Gott or Trias Blackwind). My own character card is built on that notion, of course. There are some characters otherwise like Adjenna that rule because they were balanced around their set, and without cards to specifically counter her, she can dominate. Same is true of some ongoing abilities from heroes or operations. Speed decks from extra actions are dominant, there's also hyper-defense decks using characters like Byron, decking discard strategies to run your foe out of cards (either by eliminating heroes ASAP or just discards from hand), or specialty decks like Adjenna. Pixel Tactics Deluxe and its associated sets have probably changed a lot and it's really hard to give specifics now, the key is just to read a lot of cards and:

1) You want any thing that saves you actions. Action economy is king. It's better than damage, better than defense - those things are important.
2) You'll always need good vanguard defenders unless you're running some weird strategy - Golem, Knight, etc. In general you want to think about where you'll actually be placing the cards and try to have a spread for each phase ready.
3) If you're a speed deck, you're likely to deck yourself out faster, so you have to make it worth it and be able to use it to maintain pressure. Make sure you always have ways of doing good damage, removing heroes, and otherwise maintaining pressure.
4) By no means can you rely on a single combo, you want groups of cards that combo well together.
5) Never forget the orders section! Orders can be immensely powerful and are the big thing you can use to turn a game around.

That's just me mumbling off of the top of my head having nearly been up for 24 hours, but hope it helps.

Thanks for the tips! I'd imagine Pixel Tactics is a bit harder to draft for than, say, Magic thanks to how one card can do a bunch of things. Will probably get 1,2,3 to round out my sets after a few more plays with my group to see if it has staying power.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, I realized I referenced a lot of cards from early sets you probably don't have (Luc, Adjenna, Cadenza, etc.) but the principles should be mostly the same.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I made an automated BattleCON PBP moderator.

It's basically a gmail account attached to a spreadsheet in google drive, with a script which fires every minute to check for new messages. All it does is keep move choices secret until everyone's finished ante-ing -- it doesn't check any rules, make sure card combos or antes are valid, answer queries, or any of that. You'll have to work that out with your opponent. It's also not particularly robust: I designed it for use by people playing in good faith, so I'm sure a dedicated dick could break it over their knee with little effort. (From an infosec point of view though, it's all hosted in the Google cloud -- so it's exactly as secure as that is.)

I've tested it a little bit bouncing moves back and forth between two of my email accounts, and it seems to work okay, but I'm sure you talented folk can find ten thousand faults if you feel like giving it a test drive.

Known Problem #1: For Battlecon Bot to work, you and your opponent need to agree on a unique game ID. If you accidentally pick someone else's, you'll probably all get error messages or weird move choices.

Known Problem #2: There are no takebacks. Once you've sent your move or ante in, that's it. Locked.

...unless you send in another move or ante so quickly that Battlecon Bot reads that one first, since it checks from newest messages to oldest. This might be a bug or a feature depending on your point of view.

Known Problem #3: It's for 1-on-1 games only.

With those caveats aside...

INSTRUCTIONS

1. You and your opponent choose characters* and come up with a unique game ID between you. This is also where you'll set up the PBP thread, etc.

*I just now realised I didn't build in an option for this. But you can improvise a mutually hidden character selection easily enough using the same bot.

2. Each of you sends an email to sabattleconbot at gmail doot com. The subject line should be your game ID. In the body of the email you should put:

Required: "Move:" followed by the move you've chosen.
Optional: "Active:" followed by "Y" if you're the active player this beat. For the purposes of finding out who antes first.

(If you use both, make sure they're on different lines.)

If only one of you claims active, that player is set to ante first. If both or neither of you claim active, it goes to whoever's email Battlecon Bot read first chooses between you at random.

You should both get a confirmation email, and one of you should get an instruction that it's your turn to ante.

3. You ante by sending Battlecon Bot an email containing "Ante:" followed by your ante. So long as the subject line contains your game ID this should work just fine; I know it works if you just click 'reply' to the message Battlecon Bot sent you, so... maybe just do that? And I'll try to make it more robust when I have time.

When you ante, you'll get a confirmation email and your opponent will get an email offering them the chance to ante. These messages go back and forth until both of you pass by anteing nothing.

When both players have passed, Battlecon Bot emails both of you the moves and antes, and then you can hie to your game thread and work out what all that means.

If you want to improvise a secret character select, make your first move the name of your character then ante nothing. That'll work just fine.

HOW IT WORKS
Basically, the script reads all the unread emails in Battlecon Bot's inbox every minute, and vacuums up anything following the phrases "Move:", "Active:", or "Ante:" as a plain string. It then compares these to what it knows about the game state, checks to see if they're valid inputs, and either returns an error message or records the appropriate details in its companion spreadsheet.

It never shares anyone's emails -- it sends its messages individually.

After every beat is complete, it wipes that record from the spreadsheet, and it runs a cleanup every week to delete anything that's over 7 days old. In this way I hope to keep the spreadsheet down to a manageable size.

AND THAT'S IT
So, uh... go ahead and test it, if you feel like playing some PBP Battlecon. If you manage to break it leave a message here or DM me. You could theoretically email Battlecon Bot, but the only time I ever look at that mailbox is when I'm testing it, so you might be waiting a while for an answer.

UPDATE 12 JULY 2016
Had some spare time this morning so I updated the Battlecon Bot to include a new command: "MoveSkip", for use when you're confident of your strategy or you're playing someone with no ante (or with a compulsory ante, like Cesar).

If you submit your move with "MoveSkip: Whatever" instead of "Move: Whatever" then the bot won't bother asking you for an ante. If both players moveskip then the bot will jump straight to reveal once the moves are in. If one player skips then the bot'll ask the other player for an ante, and if they pass then it'll jump straight to reveal. If they ante, then the bot will come back to you to check you don't want to respond. I wasn't sure how often that would come up, but I thought I'd err on the side of caution and maybe a little extra emailing.

If neither of you skip, it asks everyone for antes as normal.

Next on the development list is hidden information, for when you're playing Pendros or Malandrax.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 12, 2016

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

That looks really cool. I'll see about trying it out sometime,.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Holy crap that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
If it ends up working really well, could we get auto-formatted posts? That would be so sweet.