Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
the error in judgement here is that you assume K-Mart is profiting off of anything at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Sheep-Goats posted:

My Brit friend in Bangkok said standard retail markup is around 2x what you paid unless you were talking luxury items or jewelry or something then it's 4x

In booze retail is about 5x what the distributor sells for in the US, don't really know how well that translates to off-label groceries though.

Also yeah K-Mart is an idiot garbage fire of a company that only exists because Sears Holding owns all the leases.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Sometimes when I want soda I go for Nehi! which is a 99 cent big bottle of it. Most of the other brands are like 2-3 dollars.

poo poo tastes the exact same and is just as good but cheaper.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Wine is a huge market in australia and theres huge money being made taking 'cleanskin' wine that would normally sell for $3 retail and putting it in a really fun distinctive label and then selling it at $15. Big retail liquor in australia started doing this and sales have remained normal but profit went through the roof.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you are an australian and you drink wine only ever buy things that are from a real winery when you are in BWS/Dans/First choice/ Coles liquor otherwise you are getting duped

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Aluminum is cheap as poo poo, and anyone who has worked fast food can tell you that fountain drinks are 99% profit. The Kroger store brand had 12 packs of knockoff soda for 3 for $5.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The k Mart app is now King of embarrassing apps that I have installed

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Dr. Becker? I like Ted Danson as much as the next guy...

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

echronorian posted:

The k Mart app is now King of embarrassing apps that I have installed

explain urslef

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
looks like a <puts on sunglasses> liquidation sale

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Isaac posted:

retail is all about getting people in the door and spending as much time as possible inside the store. Plenty of items are "Loss leaders" meaning you sell them at a loss to make people come to your store instead of the other guys store.

I doubt any of their store brand items are being sold at a loss.

Soda is insanely cheap to make, and the knockoff store brands are even more so.

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

Bastard Tetris posted:

Also yeah K-Mart is an idiot garbage fire of a company that only exists because Sears Holding owns all the leases.
actually backwards; k-mart bought out sears but retained the name for the holding company (brand recognition and all that). sears and its offshoots are so far in the weeds it's not even funny.

also lol at installing any app from those guys after they got pinched by the ftc for data mining.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'd buy it for the sexy lady on the box op.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
They make their money on diabetes meds.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Is this another clicking assignment I'm not doing this one

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I thought that link said "Mountain Rapist" when I moused over it, but I was disappointed that it was something boring instead

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

There was a thread about this stuff a while back where a goon who works in the industry said a lot of the generic soda is literally just name brand soda with the ingredient knobs fiddled with randomly by around 5-10%. Same factory, same ingredients, just twiddled knobs.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
its made of sleepy rats, OP

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

King Vidiot posted:

I thought that link said "Mountain Rapist" when I moused over it, but I was disappointed that it was something boring instead

Like a rapist that strikes in the mountains, or the much rarer rapist that rapes mountains?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There was a thread about this stuff a while back where a goon who works in the industry said a lot of the generic soda is literally just name brand soda with the ingredient knobs fiddled with randomly by around 5-10%. Same factory, same ingredients, just twiddled knobs.

A lot of products are like this. A factory gets lots of contracts for say napkins or diapers and they're all made on the same machine. The only differences are the raw materials and labels.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

are those neck muttonchops

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

notZaar posted:

A lot of products are like this. A factory gets lots of contracts for say napkins or diapers and they're all made on the same machine. The only differences are the raw materials and labels.

Especially soda though since it's made regionally and a lot of bottlers are these weird quasi-independent companies separate from the national brand. You even have rogue companies like the Dublin Dr pepper co that used to make their own version with sugar instead of hfcs

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Smash it Smash hit posted:

are those neck muttonchops

He's Dr Handsome

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I remember when a newspaper was a nickel and taffy was a penny. Now you kids got this brave new world all screwed up and wild at crotch. They ought teach ya some respect instead of gettin sassy on the sugar water I reckon. :clint:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Gonna piss in some cans and sell to the supermarket

Time ro make some money bby

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Mange Mite posted:

Like a rapist that strikes in the mountains, or the much rarer rapist that rapes mountains?

The mountain that rapes.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Profit is not the business K-Mart is in buddy. Step off and enjoy your soda

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

I feel like if a killed that dude no jury would convict me.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
One time I drank so much cheap soda I poo poo my friend's pants.

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

anything to keep the attention off his Shrek nose. This man's a genius fellas.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Don't kill him. Hold him down while I crack each can and pour his life's work down the sink.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rivethead posted:

anything to keep the attention off his Shrek nose. This man's a genius fellas.

Oh god, I just saw it.:stonk:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

this exactly what i imagine a guy who collects knock-off soda brands to look like

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Pantsless Hero posted:

Welcome to the questionable soda museum! I can't decide if I like Dr. Chill's smooth bedside manner more than a Real Dr. Life is tough.

lol at Dr. Becker

They managed to rip off two completely unrelated IP's simultaniously, impressive

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Mr Pibb must feel like a real fuckhead not completing soda school

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

SaltLick posted:

Mr Pibb must feel like a real fuckhead not completing soda school

Mr. Pibb is not a medical doctor but he still has a PhD and he's not one of those weirdos that still expects people to call him dr.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

The Butcher posted:

This is just evidence exibit #3204 why Trump is going to win you dumb yank fucks.

You've made your corpulently obese bed, now you get to lie and rot in it.

Roll around naked in the putrid lard that has become your society! Smear it on your bitchtits and into your mouth!

:kheldragar:

drat i wish i could read good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I am unable to form coherent arguments and resort to calling people I disagree with shills to win. Please ignore me, I have no idea what I am talking about.

• Locked thread