Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Niwrad posted:

I didn't think Tirico was great or anything but I think you guys are underestimating how bad some of the other PbP folks are out there. He was boring but competent in multiple sports.

Sure but ESPN has a bunch of competent play by play guys to replace him with.

Rick posted:

I thought Tirico was decent when he did the NBA.

Like everything else he does he was completely fine but kinda boring. I think Breen was a big upgrade as the A team commentator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Tirico is good, and more importantly, he was versatile. That's where I disagree with MV and say he won't be easy to replace -- there aren't a lot of guys out there who can go from NFL to NBA to golf to tennis and sound well-versed in all of them.

If ESPN could afford to match NBC's offer, they would've done it in a heartbeat.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Benne posted:

Gruden is one of the few NFL announcers who sounds like he actually enjoys watching football. Nearly everyone else working today is so humorless or self-serious about THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, that Gruden's wide-eyed, knee-slapping "AIN'T THAT THE CRAZIEST PLAY" is almost a breath of fresh air.

In this thread making fun of hot takes, I'll make a take of my own: Jon Gruden is the Madden successor we've been waiting for.

I agree. Gruden seems to find at least a little joy in even the worst games, and he gives less informed fans enough info to make games enjoyable, much like Madden did.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BasicFunk posted:

I agree. Gruden seems to find at least a little joy in even the worst games, and he gives less informed fans enough info to make games enjoyable, much like Madden did.

Gruden is the irritating but relatively lighthearted Marvel to the grimdark DC Aikman universe, I'll take my answer off the air.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

BasicFunk posted:

Gruden is the new Dick Vitale for ESPN. Both have a tendency to become parodies of themselves, but you can tell they eat, sleep, breathe, and love their respective sports and very much believe/act like ambassadors for the game.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Another thing I like about Gruden is that you never feel like he's talking down to you. A lot of ex-coaches who go to the booth have this haughty nature around them and want to shove their credentials down your throat, like I WON A SUPER BOWL SO LET ME TELL YOU HOW IT REALLY IS. Brian Billick was the worst offender of this.

Instead, Gruden approaches the game from an everyman's perspective. When he goes into Xs and Os it's never from the Jaws angle of "interesting but impenetrable insider jargon." It's usually THIS IS Y 2 SPIDER BANANA WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS BUT IT SOUNDS COOL AND HERE'S HOW IT WORKS. It's just a relatable form of NFL analysis that we don't really get these days.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Benne posted:

Speaking of Ian Darke, I wonder what he's going to do after Euro 2016. ESPN won't have the World Cup or Euros for at least a decade, and given how penny-pinching they've become I don't imagine they'll want to pay Darke to cover like 2 USMNT games a year.

Would he stay at ESPN, follow the World Cup to Fox, move to NBC and get in a literal duel with Arlo White for the top EPL game every week, or just go back to the UK?

Ian Darke is currently employed by BT Sport in the UK and works as their lead commentator. He and Martin Tyler can do World Cups and the Euros for the American networks, as well as USMNT games because those rights haven't been bought by satellite networks and won't be for the forseeable future unless there is a serious challenge to the law

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Ian Darke is currently employed by BT Sport in the UK and works as their lead commentator. He and Martin Tyler can do World Cups and the Euros for the American networks, as well as USMNT games because those rights haven't been bought by satellite networks and won't be for the forseeable future unless there is a serious challenge to the law

I'm interested to hear more about "the law" since UK sports rights, from a dumb American perspective, seem to be more complex than the US system (which is essentially "whatever network offers more money gets the event"). Care to expand more on how sports broadcasting works in the UK?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

I'm interested to hear more about "the law" since UK sports rights, from a dumb American perspective, seem to be more complex than the US system (which is essentially "whatever network offers more money gets the event"). Care to expand more on how sports broadcasting works in the UK?

Yeah I'd love to hear this as well

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's pretty simple, certain events ie: The World Cup can't be on pay tv channels in the UK.

edit: that came across super patronising. In some countries, like say The United Kingdom and Australia for various social or political reasons, the governments protect certain sporting events from being on pay tv. In Australia this is because Pay tv is expensive and gently caress Rupert Murdoch. As a result, there is still like bidding and poo poo like that for the events, it's just it is limited to the three or four networks in Australia that could or would bid for them.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 28, 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

LordPants posted:

It's pretty simple, certain events ie: The World Cup can't be on pay tv channels in the UK.

edit: that came across super patronising. In some countries, like say The United Kingdom and Australia for various social or political reasons, the governments protect certain sporting events from being on pay tv. In Australia this is because Pay tv is expensive and gently caress Rupert Murdoch. As a result, there is still like bidding and poo poo like that for the events, it's just it is limited to the three or four networks in Australia that could or would bid for them.

By contrast, the reason this setup exists in the UK is because Pay tv is expensive and gently caress Rupert Murdoch.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Fox gave Skip Bayless $26m for 4 years to leave ESPN.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
^^^ Hooooly poo poo they're gonna lose so much money on that contract.

Benne posted:

In this thread making fun of hot takes, I'll make a take of my own: Jon Gruden is the Madden successor we've been waiting for.

I agree with you. I had a glimmer of the same thought recently.

Bear in mind, this is a world in which I think Joe Buck might actually be the best we can get for pro football pbp.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Kalli posted:

that's a really expensive pile of manure

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

LordPants posted:

There's something similar here in the US. Events of great national interest, such as presidential debates, can't be on cable and have to be on over the air television, so everyone can have access to it. The Super Bowl is considered an event of great national interest so it couldn't only be on ESPN per say. But I think that's the only sporting event that qualifies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Badfinger posted:

Bear in mind, this is a world in which I think Joe Buck might actually be the best we can get for pro football pbp.

That is a disgusting act.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Al Michaels is still working so Joe Buck is not even particularly close to being to best lead play by play guy calling games for a major network

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Few things are as entertaining as when Michaels and Collinsworth are clearly half in the bag by the third quarter of a garbage game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Michaels also will pull a Musberger and openly start talking about the spread when the game itself stops being interesting

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Kalli posted:

God drat, Fox. I hope they enjoy every bite of that poo poo pie.

Also Cowherd is a flunky and a tool bag.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

C. Everett Koop posted:

There's something similar here in the US. Events of great national interest, such as presidential debates, can't be on cable and have to be on over the air television, so everyone can have access to it. The Super Bowl is considered an event of great national interest so it couldn't only be on ESPN per say. But I think that's the only sporting event that qualifies.

I remember hearing something like there is a law that prevents the superbowl being a PPV

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I think this does a better job of showing what has to be shown on free to air TV in the UK. The 2009 review at the bottom has essentially gutted a lot of live sport and moved it to pay TV under the previso that "highlights" are available on free to air TV. All that means is that I won't be able to see Jim Nantz in a BBC studio for The Open again

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
NBC Sports Live Extra and Fox Sports Go have recently overhauled their apps. They're Windows 8-y now, and I don't know if I like it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Trent Dilfer is walking from ESPN over a salary dispute.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Salt the earth

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/727228395944181762

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Good God, that's going to be toxic.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
embrace debate

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh man :suspense:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm not sure you could have come up with two people I hate more than this for a show.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Free Katie Nolan

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Timby posted:

outside of grantland dying (and, like, a bunch of production folks losing their jobs) so far the ESPN budget cuts seem mostly very dope

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm not sure you could have come up with two people I hate more than this for a show.

Skip Bayless to serve as stat boy

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Benne posted:

Free Katie Nolan

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I know Whitlock guest hosted on PTI before, but good lord

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Timby posted:

Finally I don't have to see his ugly shoes with a suit anymore

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

It's like they were dared to come up with a worse combo than Steven A/Skip and somehow pulled it off.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MourningView posted:

outside of grantland dying (and, like, a bunch of production folks losing their jobs) so far the ESPN budget cuts seem mostly very dope
Yes and come Jan 2017, I imagine 538 will be shutting down

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and come Jan 2017, I imagine 538 will be shutting down

538 might live on because don't they share the cost of that with ABC News?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
As a tv casual I gotta say I didn't even know who tirico worked for. All the channels and voices blend together after a while and I don't think ESPN will have issue replacing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Timby posted:

LISTEN WHEN YOU TAKE A JOB AT THE ANALYST POSITION FOR THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE FOR THE ENTERTAINMENT AND SPORTS NETWORK YOU NEED TO BE FAIRLY COMPENSATED FOR EXPLAINING ABOUT HOW WINNING TRANSLATES DIRECTLY TO WINS ESPECIALLY AT THE QUARTERBACK POSITION
(curtain pulls back to reveal a chorus line)
IN THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE