Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Oh my God this mailbag is magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ok there is no way Kenny G isn't a goon, which one of you is it?

BTW Kenny G, I liked BvS and I knew those were parademons and I didn't especially like the WHM take on it but it's OK to hate a movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy gently caress this mailbag is an hour long :stare:

e: I will say that I'm laughing my rear end off at them defending their lack of knowledge of what Parademons were, because back in the Abraxas episode they talked at length about The New Gods, the source comic of Parademons. They apparently know what Darkseid, the Anti-Life Equation, Mother Boxes, etc. are but somehow missed what Darkseid's mooks were called.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 29, 2016

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
This mailbag might be one of my favorite episodes they've ever done. I'm loving dying.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I KNOW YOU WON'T READ THIS ON THE AIR

think again *giggle*

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
Holy crap, that BvS email. How embarrassing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Holy gently caress this mailbag is an hour long :stare:

e: I will say that I'm laughing my rear end off at them defending their lack of knowledge of what Parademons were, because back in the Abraxas episode they talked at length about The New Gods, the source comic of Parademons. They apparently know what Darkseid, the Anti-Life Equation, Mother Boxes, etc. are but somehow missed what Darkseid's mooks were called.

Hi Kenny

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oh great, more ranting against BvS.

TetsuoTW posted:

Ok there is no way Kenny G isn't a goon, which one of you is it?

BTW Kenny G, I liked BvS and I knew those were parademons and I didn't especially like the WHM take on it but it's OK to hate a movie.

Sure, but the BvS episode started with one of them saying we had a "moral obligation" to not like this movie. So they can gently caress off with an opinion like that.

That, and their bizarre insistence that no one calls him Batman, when Laurence Fishburne not only calls him that in the movie, but it even made the trailer, really soured me on their whole BvS episode. I could have done without hearing about it again. And yeah, this guy's email was dumb as poo poo. Doesn't change the fact that their hatred for this movie, seemingly more so than any other lovely movie they've ever reviewed, is grating.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Oh great, more ranting against BvS.

Sure, but the BvS episode started with one of them saying we had a "moral obligation" to not like this movie. So they can gently caress off with an opinion like that.

That, and their bizarre insistence that no one calls him Batman, when Laurence Fishburne not only calls him that in the movie, but it even made the trailer, really soured me on their whole BvS episode. I could have done without hearing about it again. And yeah, this guy's email was dumb as poo poo. Doesn't change the fact that their hatred for this movie, seemingly more so than any other lovely movie they've ever reviewed, is grating.

They read like four other hilarious emails afterwards. Just skip to those if it bothers you so much.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

No I agree, I listened to it right after I got out of the movie and it got really frustrating plenty of times, like the obvious (and frankly not unjustifiable) dislike of Snyder, the weird harping on the jar of piss, and straight up just missing poo poo that was literally said or shown and not even subtly sometimes. But you know what? Doesn't matter. What they think of the movie doesn't mean poo poo to what I think of it. Didn't like the episode so I won't listen to it again, but otherwise, it seriously is OK to hate a movie, no matter how dumb I might think the reasons for the hatred are.

On a similar note it's also OK to hate an episode of a podcast. Maybe not quite as passionately as Kenny G does, but in general terms.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

painynumbs posted:

They read like four other hilarious emails afterwards. Just skip to those if it bothers you so much.

Oh I plan to. I just got to work as they finished talking about BvS, so I'll listen to the rest on my drive home.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the entire subforum really needs to get over that not everyone gives a gently caress about our 500 page broken-brained abyss of posts about batman vs superman. it's an extreme microcosm and most people thought the movie was poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Please stop trying to turn this thread into the RLM thread.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

A lot of people, myself included, hate a lot of poo poo for dumb reasons. They also like a lot of poo poo for dumb reasons. The critical point is that that's fine.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MinibarMatchman posted:

the entire subforum really needs to get over that not everyone gives a gently caress about our 500 page broken-brained abyss of posts about batman vs superman. it's an extreme microcosm and most people thought the movie was poo poo.

Sure, but the new mailbag started in on the movie again, so I commented on it. People are allowed to hate movies, but this podcast said we had a moral obligation to not like this movie. That opinion can die in a fire. Sure, it was mostly a joke. But they genuinely seemed to hate this movie more than I think they've hated any other movie they've ever discussed. That seems like an overreaction to me.

In this thread, people are responding to things said in this podcast.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Okay so my suspect list is MisterBibs and thrawn.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Okay so my suspect list is MisterBibs and thrawn.

I mean, like I said, the email was dumb as hell, and I don't give a poo poo about parademons (or even know what they are, other than I guess some monsters working for Darkseid?). The movie had some serious issues, and I can see not liking it. But everyone falling over themselves to consider it the worst movie of all time is this weird internet competition to be the one who hates it the most or something. I guess it's just a result of everything being either the greatest thing ever or the worst thing ever.

Again, mostly this stems from them veering off from their "it's okay to like a movie" point with, "but I think in this case you have a moral obligation to not like this movie."

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

thrawn527 posted:

Sure, it was mostly a joke.
oh no you think

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

thrawn527 posted:

:words:

WHM isn'[t the movie podcast we deserve, it's the movie podcast we need.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, like I said, the email was dumb as hell, and I don't give a poo poo about parademons (or even know what they are, other than I guess some monsters working for Darkseid?). The movie had some serious issues, and I can see not liking it. But everyone falling over themselves to consider it the worst movie of all time is this weird internet competition to be the one who hates it the most or something. I guess it's just a result of everything being either the greatest thing ever or the worst thing ever.

Again, mostly this stems from them veering off from their "it's okay to like a movie" point with, "but I think in this case you have a moral obligation to not like this movie."
/

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Illinois Smith posted:

oh no you think

Using hyperbole for comic effect: not a thing you normally associate with WHM.

I mean, I'm pretty sure it's only dumb forums BvS drama that's making him superbly offended by a throwaway joke on a podcast about movie opinions involving incest handjobs, dick beer and Jim Belushi's fat ghost.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Please stop trying to turn this thread into the RLM thread.

Also this.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

It'd be like if the whole subforum decided that Transformers was actually the wonderful story that thread decided it was, instead of it being a funny thing in that thread.

Sorry dawgs. Everyone hates BvS.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
This episode was so funny that I don't even care that every letter was probably either completely faked or at least heavily embellished.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Top five episodes of this?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ZoDiAC_ posted:

For me, I'd say Ghostbusters 2---only one that made me cry laughing on the train, Child's Play 3, League of Extroardinary Gentlemen, Butterfly Effect, and 8 Crazy Nights. I don't think anyone else will share those sentiments except for Butterfly Effect which is probably widely accepted as one of the best

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I'd probably recommend The Core, Foodfight, Easy Rider 2, Eight Crazy Nights, Red Heat...

Blame it on Rio

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Mom get in here

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I wasn't being ironic when I said I was laughing my rear end off, I actually find it endearing how they're like that

Also I haven't actually seen BvS

MinibarMatchman posted:

For me, I'd say Ghostbusters 2---only one that made me cry laughing on the train, Child's Play 3, League of Extroardinary Gentlemen, Butterfly Effect, and 8 Crazy Nights. I don't think anyone else will share those sentiments except for Butterfly Effect which is probably widely accepted as one of the best

8 Crazy Nights is incredible. Abraxas, Easy Rider 2, Larry: Health Inspector, and Daredevil (just for the "MOM COME JERK ME OFF" bit, holy gently caress) would probably make up the rest of my top 5.

(Honestly, they've been on fire this whole year, Kenny G is a crazy person for dropping them over the BvS thing.)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 29, 2016

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

An episode that I think is both hysterical and not mentioned enough is Seventh Son. The stupidity of it all alongside near-constant drunken Jeff Bridges impressions really hit all the right notes.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

In that article someone posted the other day, the guys named Babycakes, Mortal Kombat, and Attack of the Clones as their picks, and those are some A+ choices IMO. I also have a bit of a soft spot for The Pallbearer, mostly for Cloudy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ZoDiAC_ posted:

5. The Lost World: Jurassic Park - Their bits about the punishments Hammond deserves are amazing.
4. Mr. Destiny - Really any Jim Belushi episode, but this is my favorite.
3. The Substitute - ohmygodimgonnakillhim ohmygodimgonnakillhim ohmygodimgonnakillhim ohmygodimgonnakillhim
2. Blame it on Rio - So disturbing.
1. Hard Target - Peak Wilford Brimley impressions. All around great episode.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
How can you forget Never Say Never Again?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Hard Target - Wilford Brimley GODDAMAUT
The Substitute - Tom Berenger's internal monologue.
Gymkata - White Guy Karate and weed ninjas
Abraxas, Guardian of the Universe - Jesse Ventura impressions and conspiracy theories
Blame it on Rio - Hate. Hate. HATE.

The first four for fun, the last one for the perfectly pure hate. Honorable Hate Mention to Easy Rider 2: The Ride Back.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If you are new to the show listen to the current episode, but between current eps start at 001 and work up. They don't have many reoccurring jokes, but sometimes they'll have a joke pop up in consecutive episodes.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

If you are new to the show listen to the current episode, but between current eps start at 001 and work up. They don't have many reoccurring jokes, but sometimes they'll have a joke pop up in consecutive episodes.

This isn't bad advice because the show hit its stride really fast.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

You mean 002.The first episode Wired has been lost to time, but they redo it at a later date.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yeah, while there are definitely episodes that are funnier than others, even among the earlier ones, I can't really recall a bad one. My advice is, just start with an episode about a movie you actually know. They go on quite a few tangents, at if you aren't used to that and don't know what the movie is actually about, you can get lost.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean 002.The first episode Wired has been lost to time, but they redo it at a later date.

A lot of people cite newer episodes as the good ones but I've yet to hear one in the past year as good as Wired.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm surprised nobody's putting Brainscan in their top 5. "Jeremy, did you put those discs in the mail today?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm surprised nobody's putting Brainscan in their top 5. "Jeremy, did you put those discs in the mail today?"

Son of a bitch. Yes, this too.