Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zila
Jun 21, 2013

Zetsubou-san posted:

oh god it's already my third top game in hours played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I added a oil processing and a battery factory today. I also converted a few of my random factories to stop at a certain level. I don't really need a chest of any type literally full of turrets and someday I'll probably need 500 solar panels on hand, but for now 128 (4x4 of medium pole and 8 panels) is enough of a cache. I need to add a second refinery to keep up with sulfur production.

I added a second power grid of panels and accumulators to run radar during the day (and a little at night). I will probably convert this to an accumulator buffered secondary to run them only when I have spare power on the main grid.

This game is so much fun!

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
You would be surprised at how fast you go through solar panels. I'd turn that one back on.

e: Like 128 solar panels might be a single one of the blueprints I had by the end of last game I played. You'll be happy you were pumping them out the entire time you were doing other things by the time you're thinking of converting to solar.

Dessert Rose fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 28, 2016

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Dessert Rose posted:

You would be surprised at how fast you go through solar panels. I'd turn that one back on.

e: Like 128 solar panels might be a single one of the blueprints I had by the end of last game I played. You'll be happy you were pumping them out the entire time you were doing other things by the time you're thinking of converting to solar.

I already run solar during the day and steam at night. The current problem I have is limited coal resources, so turning off ammo production and solar production when there's a reasonable amount for this point in the game helps reduce the output load on those resources. I just unlocked electric furnaces, so I can convert some of my iron/copper/steel over and it will help a lot with routing, too.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Mr. Powers posted:

I already run solar during the day and steam at night. The current problem I have is limited coal resources, so turning off ammo production and solar production when there's a reasonable amount for this point in the game helps reduce the output load on those resources. I just unlocked electric furnaces, so I can convert some of my iron/copper/steel over and it will help a lot with routing, too.

The solution to all Factorio problems is more production. Never limit yourself, except for in dire emergencies where you are in the process of securing more resources.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So after pushing into purple science on my Toxic Jungle start, I decided I would go ahead and push on to railroads; accordingly I started a new game with RSO and the Rail Tanker. First of all, holy resource patches. I'm still in comfortable belt range of what is now the smelting core of my factory, in terms of mining operations, and it's pretty loving hard for me to imagine needing to go several minutes' walk away from the spawn point in order to be able to harvest enough ore.

In fact, I've been able to pull off something relevant to a recent discussion:

As you folks can see here, my factory isn't quite up to 9,000 robots and it still isn't too many! In fact, this was several hours ago at the end of a pretty big concrete laying operation. As of right now we're packing 4,306 construction bots and 9,059 logistics bots, with everything made possible by the roboport upgrade mod which was posted in here awhile back; after sucking the stem cells out of hundreds of alien embryos I'm at the max level with 40 chargers per port.

When I'm getting ready to pave more terrain, I drop 1-2 copies of a 20k-concrete requester chest feeding four steel chests, with four roboports around it and let the network fill it since they've got twice the numbers of the constructors. Each requester can have no more than its 4.8k max capacity enroute at once, which last time I tried to run two at once tasked out my then-8,500-bot capacity completely for probably 6-8 minutes. It results in ~22.5k concrete per emplacement being shifted there once all five chests are full, then I come through to pick up the arms and change them all to Storage chests. 4,300 construction bots can lay down a fuckton of cement in a startlingly short time, but charging 640 bots at once (they all tend to run out of juice around the same time, with variation depending on where they came from) at the 16 ports I keep handy to distribute at large worksites is an impressive drain on the grid.

Interested to see if I can leverage my overwhelming logistical airpower for strategic expansion; my initial railway plan is to have large outposts with in-house electric smelter facilities feeding dedicated spoke lines which bring the plates back for mass distribution by the in-place logistical network. Probably going to see about extending the logistics network out along the rail lines so I don't have to worry about independently guaranteeing repair pack and replacement bot/structure deliveries to the outposts. poo poo will make it out there eventually.

Dessert Rose posted:

Yeah, also this. As you scale up the number of solar panels you'll be using becomes unreal. I'm not quite at 4k yet, with 24GJ of storage, and I think my settings keep 2k of both panels and accumulators on hand in case I want to expand rapidly. Generally I don't notice I'm having a problem until it's gone on long enough to drain the accumulators dry, but unless the construction fleet is in the middle of a big project they can for sure pull off laying several hundred of each during the day. So far, I haven't had dead-of-night blackouts result in a biter breach!

e: meant to ask, while searching for mods I encountered an out-of-date mod which uses the construction network to automatically upgrade structures and belts to better versions. I just started mass-producing blue belts and poo poo, but it would probably take several hours for me to upgrade every belt myself. Does anyone know of a mod with a similar function?

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 28, 2016

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
The upgrade planner mod lets you replace entities of your choice with different ones. There is a downside, which is that they have a hard time replacing active belt since one bot has to clear the belt before another bot replaces that belt. This can be a problem when the belt is still being fed.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

If coal is an issue, you should probably be using solid fuel.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Me and my buds got to the point where we were shipping barrels of oil back and to be honest it wasn't so bad, we just had an oil train go around and hit every station we had set up for oil to bring it back. We're still filling up our storage tanks, even with everything on 0.1 oil.

After that however, we realised that the next problem was that by the time we had set up one mine, another had already depleted and we'd have to go find another, etc etc. We've started a new game now with richness and ore field sizes turned up to max, because seriously gently caress that, it was getting in the way of my cool designs.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Loren1350 posted:

If coal is an issue, you should probably be using solid fuel.

I just started producing that recently and once I get more oil/refining capacity I plan to switch over as well as some upgrades to electric.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I checked a couple of pages back but I can't find it; someone did a huge effortpost on trains, how to set up a dual track system with branches and using the signaling properly and had a bunch of blueprints.

I'm doing RSO and finally in a situation where I want to actually create a train loop but I've just used long-rear end conveyors in the past so I really have no idea how to set train stuff up. Help?

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

Bhodi posted:

I checked a couple of pages back but I can't find it; someone did a huge effortpost on trains, how to set up a dual track system with branches and using the signaling properly and had a bunch of blueprints.

I'm doing RSO and finally in a situation where I want to actually create a train loop but I've just used long-rear end conveyors in the past so I really have no idea how to set train stuff up. Help?

It's fairly simple. Regular rail signals to separate chunks of track, chain signals in front of any splits. Chain signals only allow trains to pass when they can completely CLEAR the next section. To start, make your junctions as a single "block" with no interstitial signaling. Chain signal at the two entrances (for a two-track system), rail signals at the exits. Only one train will be able to traverse the entire junction at a time, but this keeps complexity down until you understand how you can abuse signals for better throughput on your tracks. Adding too many signals will generally lead to trains getting tangled and you'll need to manually unwind them.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kenlon posted:

The solution to all Factorio problems is more production. Never limit yourself, except for in dire emergencies where you are in the process of securing more resources.

I don't even pretend anymore. I START oil production with 10 refineries, and go from there. A friend that just got into the game commented, "I like to play the game like a surgeon, slowly building my tech while balancing my emissions so as not to put too great a stress on my defenses. You build pump jacks in their kids' bedrooms and machine-gun anything that moves."

I think it was mentioned upthread that this game basically lets you be the bad guys from Fern Gully, which is AWESOME.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

CanOfMDAmp posted:

It's fairly simple. Regular rail signals to separate chunks of track, chain signals in front of any splits. Chain signals only allow trains to pass when they can completely CLEAR the next section. To start, make your junctions as a single "block" with no interstitial signaling. Chain signal at the two entrances (for a two-track system), rail signals at the exits. Only one train will be able to traverse the entire junction at a time, but this keeps complexity down until you understand how you can abuse signals for better throughput on your tracks. Adding too many signals will generally lead to trains getting tangled and you'll need to manually unwind them.
Do you connect stuff to an "inner loop" or an "outer one", how do you transition between the two? does it matter? Do you have a separate train pulling cars for every station or do you set things up to have a train service more than one element or is that a recipe for disaster?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
???

You might be overthinking things, Bhodi. The train loop is essentially two straight lines running in parallel and you connect one to the other with a half circle of curved rails. Stations are branched out off the main loop so that other trains can go by them without waiting. This can be inside the loop if the space between the two parallel lines is big enough but typically they'll be on the outside.

Signals need to be on one side of the rails only, so choose either the outside (trains will run counter-clockwise) or the inside (clock-wise) and DON'T deviate otherwise your trains are going to be complaining of not finding a path and you'll have to hunt that errant signal down (similar to trying to hunt down that one parenthesis in coding). Also put stations on the same side as your signals.

When CanOfMDAmp is talking about junctions, he's talking about places where another rail section intersects. He's rightfully suggesting setting up your signals so it divides that junction into its own section (or block in TTD terms) such that when a train is inside it, all other trains are prevented from entering that section until that first train has fully left. And furthermore to go easy on signals when you first start to keep things simple.

Chain signals can safely be ignored until you have a better grasp of what's involved in trains. :)

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

MrYenko posted:

I think it was mentioned upthread that this game basically lets you be the bad guys from Fern Gully, which is AWESOME.

I want a mod that lets me build a giant clear cutting machine with a singing pollution elemental coming out of it.

Pi In The Sky fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 28, 2016

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

Bhodi posted:

Do you connect stuff to an "inner loop" or an "outer one", how do you transition between the two? does it matter? Do you have a separate train pulling cars for every station or do you set things up to have a train service more than one element or is that a recipe for disaster?

I don't use loops really. In my two-track systems one track is "inbound" and the other "outbound" when looking at it relative to my primary factory. All extensions run off of a main trunk with junctions controlled by signals. I'll see if I can get some screenshots, but if you design it so all of your extensions off the main trunk can turn onto or originate from any available track, trains will figure it out for themselves.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bhodi posted:

Here's a birds eye view of a scalable trunk and branch system:

Basically you have a trunk serving as a highway. You have branches serving local stations that roll into the station, then roll out. You use one of the gaggle of junctions to connect branches to trunks. You don't need a full featured junction to connect a branch, but if that branch becomes a trunk in the future it will be worth it to maintain the choice of direction at intersections. Its like roads, but trains.

Trains with more than one cargo can be fine but are usually a clusterfuck. The least chaotic method is to set up an unloading terminal with a separate train station for every good being trained in. Then depending on the mix of traffic and cargo capacity you can add more or less trains for a given good and set up station directions on each train as it makes sense.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bhodi posted:

Honestly, you're overthinking it. At your main station, all your train will be doing is unloading into active logistics chests (ideally) and the bots will take whatever is unloaded away. For other stations, if you're unloading (empty oil barrels for example) all you need to do is use smart inserter's and filter appropriately.

Signals you should definitely keep simple because i had to take apart my entire loving network trying to find one signal i'd accidentally placed behind a big electric tower which was causing no pathing issues all over the place.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

If you're going to have a massive single input station, be prepared to have a frankly ENORMOUS goods sorting area that could actually be bigger than your factory.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

If you're going to have a massive single input station, be prepared to have a frankly ENORMOUS goods sorting area that could actually be bigger than your factory.

Robots. They do it automatically if you use active provider + storage and requester chests to receive the goods.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Holy poo poo. I just started upgrading my ore processing to electric and not having to feed coal everywhere has simplified so much. There isn't even a reason to keep it central, I can distribute it to the mines.

I am also almost entirely on solar now. I'm down to two steam engines + accumulators for night time and I've got a chest with something like 500 accumulators in it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Mr. Powers posted:

Holy poo poo. I just started upgrading my ore processing to electric and not having to feed coal everywhere has simplified so much. There isn't even a reason to keep it central, I can distribute it to the mines.

I am also almost entirely on solar now. I'm down to two steam engines + accumulators for night time and I've got a chest with something like 500 accumulators in it.

It's possible to never have constructed more than one line of 13 boilers+10 engines through an entire game if you tech judiciously enough

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dirk the Average posted:

Robots. They do it automatically if you use active provider + storage and requester chests to receive the goods.

My previous factory just had two sets of active provider chests and around 1000 storage chests just kicking about in a central location, it was great

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Breetai posted:

It's possible to never have constructed more than one line of 13 boilers+10 engines through an entire game if you tech judiciously enough

I was at 12+9 before I started removing them. Down to 4+2 and I think I should have a bunch of panels and accumulators to deploy after dinner break.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So this is basically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23jdesvCoOY the game?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I picked up this game last week and it's been great so far.

It kind of seems like there's different "tiers" to the game. I'm trying to figure out how to go about proceeding in them. I'm playing in sandbox/peaceful mode for now to get a handle on everything.

First there's belts, belts, and more belts.
Ramp up production of red and green science flasks.
Start automating smart inserters and...
Oil! to make batteries for blue vials.

So far, that's about as far as I've gotten. I'm a bit wondering where to head next.

There's trains, which I dabbled in to get more oil.
There's robots, which I haven't used at all.
There's logic circuits, which I'm not sure if I understand their purpose within the game.

Any other major "systems" I'm missing?

And, what am I supposed to do with all this oil that I'm pumping out of the ground other than turning it into batteries and some into fuel?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It's pretty much "any time Looney Toons plays Powerhouse" the game. So yeah.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

totalnewbie posted:

And, what am I supposed to do with all this oil that I'm pumping out of the ground other than turning it into batteries and some into fuel?

Flick back 6 or 8 pages for the rambling oil conversation. We really need a link to a definitive oil page in the OP, it's the one subject that comes up all the time (because oil is a big chunk of different stuff in the game flow). Search 'factorio oil ratio' to find some starting info and go from there.

Before blue science: set up a refinery (5 to 10 should do for a start), tanks to store the 3 products and turn light + heavy into fuel blocks when their tanks are near full (use wire circuits). Heavy will need less block capacity since you will be making it into lube too. Leave plenty of space for later and make sure you are near water.

Blue science oil: get the water in and set to advanced, rejig the light and heavy so they only make blocks when the PG tanks are full and their tank is almost full. When PG is not full, crack light to PG and heavy to light so long as lube is near full.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Plastic is the big user of oil. In particular, you need plastic to make red circuits, and you need a lot of red circuits for various late-game things.

As for where to go next...
- Trains are a bit of a niche thing in the base game. Dabbling in them to get more of a resource is great, but there's not much reason to go deeper. There are mods to make them more relevant if you're the sort of person who misses playing Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
- The first stage of robots (having robots bring you all your materials instead of having to go pick them up yourself, and having robots build things for you instead of having to place everything bit-by-bit) is super cool, that's where I'd recommend going next. The "second stage" of robots (where you have robots haul stuff around instead of using belts) is entirely optional.
- Combinators and logic circuits are entirely for fun, you can make some cool stuff if you put effort into it but you're not really missing anything if you decide to pass on it.

You'll also want to look into modules at some point, if only because you need modules to get power armour, and also at some point you're going to want to murder some poor aliens for their loot.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there a circuits guide? I'm down to 1 rocket/70 sec (and ~30 of those are launching/prepping) and I have a few ideas on how to go faster if I knew how they worked. General dicking around with them has been mostly uninformative.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The basic rule with circuits is that everything just sums together. If you have multiple things outputting onto the same circuit, the circuit value will be the sum of the inputs. If you have two different inputs wired up to a combinator, pump etc., the value it sees will be the sum of both circuits. That's the building block you have to create more complex behaviours out of.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Ratzap posted:

Flick back 6 or 8 pages for the rambling oil conversation. We really need a link to a definitive oil page in the OP, it's the one subject that comes up all the time (because oil is a big chunk of different stuff in the game flow). Search 'factorio oil ratio' to find some starting info and go from there.

Before blue science: set up a refinery (5 to 10 should do for a start), tanks to store the 3 products and turn light + heavy into fuel blocks when their tanks are near full (use wire circuits). Heavy will need less block capacity since you will be making it into lube too. Leave plenty of space for later and make sure you are near water.

Blue science oil: get the water in and set to advanced, rejig the light and heavy so they only make blocks when the PG tanks are full and their tank is almost full. When PG is not full, crack light to PG and heavy to light so long as lube is near full.

Are tanks automatically smart? Or is this a mod/upgrade?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

Are tanks automatically smart? Or is this a mod/upgrade?

You can wire the tank to the logic network and wore a pump to turn on and off based on the tank condition.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Dirk the Average posted:

I tried that but I had too much copper compared to iron, filling up all my chests with it. I could've kept expanding my storage chests but instead I separated my copper and iron unloading stations again, much easier to control the influx that way.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

uXs posted:

I tried that but I had too much copper compared to iron, filling up all my chests with it. I could've kept expanding my storage chests but instead I separated my copper and iron unloading stations again, much easier to control the influx that way.

You can also just temporarily stop the copper trains or remove/redirect a train or two.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Trabisnikof posted:

You can wire the tank to the logic network and wore a pump to turn on and off based on the tank condition.

Is the logic network the red/green stuff? In that case, could I just connect it to a smart inserter and have the inserter set to remove solid fuel from the plant only if the level is above x? I don't have an engine factory yet to make pumps, but that is next on the list.

Edit: Just found the circuit network wiki page. I get it now. Question, though, why would one want to shut off an offshore pump? I can't picture a usage for that.

carticket fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 29, 2016

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It would be a good way to turn off a steam power plant. Faster than stopping fueling it and waiting for all the fuel in the burners to burn out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its a single link you can use to turn off steam power generation set ups, or selected swathes of your water consuming chem plants.

It'll be extra deprecated next patch with electric system switches I expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Oh, I guess that makes sense. I did see a gif showing how to keep steam off until your accumulators drain, so I guess part of that is probably being able to shut off the water.