Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Chow Chow is a condiment created from cabbage. Originally from Newfoundland, I believe, and later introduced to Louisiana by French migrants where it became a staple in Louisiana/Southern cuisine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
So is it like relish but cabbage instead of cucumber?

Sounds like something I'd love.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Mrs. Renfro's is cabbage, sweet pepper and onions. The regular stuff just tastes too goddamn sweet to me without the bite to even it out so I stick to the hot stuff. Natch there's variants depending on brand and region, but it's still fantastic stuff.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
This is what i get shipped to me in Colorado from a friend. It is the best I have ever had.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

so... it's Redneck kim chi?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

so... it's Redneck kim chi?

pretty much

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Now I have dae bow bow stuck in my head but for hot chow chow : (

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Now I have dae bow bow stuck in my head but for hot chow chow : (

OHHHHHHH yeaaaaa

the cabbage -- byooootiful!!

the peppers -- EVEN MORE byoootiful!!

♪ hot chow chow ♫

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Jmcrofts posted:

Not technically a hot sauce, but Mrs. Renfro brand salsa has some insanely hot variations, including ghost pepper and a ton of habanero salsas. They have them in the salsa section of my local supermarket.

Refenro's poo poo is loving awful. I bought a jar of their salsa once and it was loving thickened with corn starch. It was like eating tomato syrup.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Bum the Sad posted:

Refenro's poo poo is loving awful. I bought a jar of their salsa once and it was loving thickened with corn starch. It was like eating tomato syrup.

I tried their ghost pepper queso once and there was nothing to it but heat and onion flavor. Didn't finish the jar.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

please, do not allow this experience with their salsas to color your opinion of their hot chow chow, it's really something else

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
http://www.amazon.com/Reaper-Puree-Net-Wt-FL/dp/B0097YI480/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1459709540&sr=8-1&keywords=reaper+puree

I've been keeping that at my desk for a while now. It can be found cheaper and I love it. Pureed reapers with barely anything else.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Has anyone tried cajohns reaper salsa? My butcher has it but it's pretty loving expensive.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

MysteriousStranger posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Reaper-Puree-Net-Wt-FL/dp/B0097YI480/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1459709540&sr=8-1&keywords=reaper+puree

I've been keeping that at my desk for a while now. It can be found cheaper and I love it. Pureed reapers with barely anything else.

What do you think about the taste? I have some reaper sauce and it's got such a weird sweet almost sour taste. It reminds me of something slightly fermented or perhaps an artificial banana flavor. I can't figure out if I like the taste or not. Both the HBD fervor sauce and dave's scorpion sauce have this taste in them so I imagine that's just what superhots taste like?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Just bought uni-eagle and huy fong sriracha, and it kinda boggles me how the sugary and vinegary one is the most popular.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Salt Fish posted:

What do you think about the taste? I have some reaper sauce and it's got such a weird sweet almost sour taste. It reminds me of something slightly fermented or perhaps an artificial banana flavor. I can't figure out if I like the taste or not. Both the HBD fervor sauce and dave's scorpion sauce have this taste in them so I imagine that's just what superhots taste like?

That's normal of fermented reapers, this isn't strong in that way though. There's really no way out of it. It's sweet and sour at the same time, hits hard and hits fast but has no long term burn. Most of them are pretty sweet to start with, reapers are almost citrus like, toss in some fermentation and there you go. The only ones I've had that weren't were highly vinegar based.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Highblood posted:

Has anyone tried cajohns reaper salsa? My butcher has it but it's pretty loving expensive.

I hate it. It's way too bitter and hot with the only actual flavor being the small amount of vinegar you taste before it ramps up and goes nuts. Granted I disliked the reaper peppers whenever I tried to use them in a meal also. If you love the reaper taste you might like it but I can't recommend spending money on it just to try it.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Highblood posted:

I haven't had the reaper stuff, but I got some various bottles of Cajohn's in the mail out here and it was very, very good. If it's not insanely expensive and you've had reaper before and liked it I'd give it a go.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

Jimmy Johns uses Cherry Peppers, but the taste is pretty indistinguishable from plain ol Pepperoncinis, aka the peppers you get with a Papa Johns pizza. You should be able to find them either whole or pre-sliced in the pickle section of the grocery store.

My other favorite pepper-based sandwich topping is Giardiniera, which is a mix of peppers and assorted other vegetables like cauliflower, carrots, celery, and other stuff. Super spicy and delicious

Jmcrofts posted:

Not technically a hot sauce, but Mrs. Renfro brand salsa has some insanely hot variations, including ghost pepper and a ton of habanero salsas. They have them in the salsa section of my local supermarket.

We are posting friends now for you putting me on these things.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

On vacation in Barbados, and drat, the locals like thier hot sauce!!!

We went to a super market, and bought a ton of bot sauce, all different kinds. Will post a pic of the entire haul when I get back.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got this hot sauce somewhere, I can't even remember where. I cracked it open last week and applied liberally to some tacos for dinner. Holy poo poo, what a mistake. This stuff is searingly hot. I am an evangelist of capsaicin, but will be using this stuff very sparingly moving forward. It had me drenched in sweat. Good poo poo.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Was it bitter at all? I've been avoiding the extract sauces, but I don't see a reason that a quality extract would have an off-taste although that's been my experience so far.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

No bitterness that I could detect, no.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Herr Tog posted:

We are posting friends now for you putting me on these things.

:respek:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Has anyone ever tried making their own hot sauce? My sister got me a book of hot sauce & related recipes for my birthday last month and I think I'm going to try making a fermented pepper mash, which the book in turns uses to make several different kind of hot sauces. Basically it calls for aging some smushed-up chiles in vinegar for a week or two, filtering out the seeds and pureeing it all.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I think if you read back through this thread you will find people have made their own. There was also a whole other thread about people making their own sriracha but it may be in archives now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Had I tried this before I bought it, I probably wouldn't have bought it, but now the more that I eat this the more that I like it.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Salt Fish posted:

Was it bitter at all? I've been avoiding the extract sauces, but I don't see a reason that a quality extract would have an off-taste although that's been my experience so far.

I've got a bottle of the same stuff, it's a shame it's so mind-searingly hot because it really is tasty. It's hot enough that if I'm making a burrito I'll typically put 2-3 drops on the tortilla and spread it around with the spoon as opposed to pouring a fat line in.

Edit: Just don't do what I did make food with it while drinking. I added what I thought was a reasonable amount and the only thing that helped soothe the burning was to hold a swig of cold beer in my mouth. When it got too warm, swallow, take another swig and repeat. It really ruins the conversation.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 10, 2016

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Crystal is the best hot sauce, bar none

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

wormil posted:

Supermarket had Peri-Peri Hot on clearance, drat this stuff is delicious. I'm going back to see if they have any left.

Found a few bottles of these a while back. Didn't last more than a couple of weeks. Holy poo poo is it good.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Jimson posted:

Crystal is the best hot sauce, bar none

You're silly.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Crystal is the best with southern food, especially fried chicken.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You guys ever watch Hot Ones? It's an interview show where between every question they eat a chicken wing doused in increasingly spicy hot sauce.

Key and Peele did admirably:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_9v-7rtVDk

Cholula was too spicy for DJ Khaled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcEpHnaZMgg

They also sell their own brand of hot sauce which I should probably buy and do a trip report for this thread.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

snyprmag posted:

Crystal is the best with southern food, especially fried chicken catfish.

Louisiana and Crystal are both just standard good sauces. Not the best nor the hottest, but just good.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Jmcrofts posted:

You guys ever watch Hot Ones? It's an interview show where between every question they eat a chicken wing doused in increasingly spicy hot sauce.

Key and Peele did admirably:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_9v-7rtVDk

This was really really awesome.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Tommy Chong appeared and you didn't post that one?

https://youtu.be/6tmSC1BpAFc

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

What a great concept, he needs better guests.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The haul from Barbados. I bought all of this at a supermarket in a mall, and it was cheap. It had a great selection and quality food, probably the best supermarket I've been to in the Caribbean. They even had Herr's potato chips.

The two items on the left aren't local to Barbados. I loving love that Jamaican yellow scotch bonnet stuff. Matouk's hot sauces are available in my area at Caribbean markets, but I'd never seen their pepper jelly. It's yummy.

Bajan sauce comes in two varieties, red and yellow. Red is a little hotter and has some vinegar, yellow has some mustard and is creamier. Both of the sauces have a nice texture from chunks of garlic, onions and peppers. The Delish brand was budget, about 82 cents a bottle. The other bottles were about $1.49, and the big plastic bottle was $2.50. The foil pouch has a wet marinade and was 69 cents.

Amanda's is like Barbadian Heinz, I'm pretty sure that it was the sauce that they served at the Hilton. It's fantastic. The Delish has been surprisingly good so far too. I haven't opened the two in the middle yet.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
We have Barbadian friends, and they bring us Bajan sauce, as well as top secret homemade sauce too. I like the freshness of the cucumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Sort of related to hot sauce, but is there any appreciable difference in terms of spiciness between different colors of habanero peppers?