Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DivisionPost posted:

You know what makes this show amazing? The season 2 setup is Brian Finch assembling a squad to bust NZT rings. There's no big cliffhangers, there's no big mythology twist being teased, it's just the promise of Brian having a more equal partnership with the unit and not having to worry about any side effects, and a reminder that they love the cool little throwaway characters they came up with, AND IT ALL SOUNDS loving AWESOME. BRING IT. DO THE RIGHT THING CBS, YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT.
Yeah as much as it's fun to explode the mythology the show works so well as just NZT Brian solving crimes in imaginable ways, just up the stakes - give everyone NZT and make the crimes even more elaborate.

I'm a little iffy on perma-immunity though. But I guess since the FBI couldn't find traces of the booster shot Morra gave him at the start I really doubt they'd find any trace of the immunity shot at all.

Also I hope Piper comes back once in a while but her actress has been cast in a new show or something so I imagine that's gonna be off the table.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've been watching far too many shows on HBO, FX, and AMC. I was totally expecting that the reunion with Piper and his father, getting the immunity shot, and putting the team together with Rebecca and Boyle would be one big, final NZT-related hallucination, possibly culminating with finding out Sands really killed Rebecca, or he got home to find his family murdered or taken, or finding Piper's body, or Piper betraying him, or Morra showing up to betray him.

I couldn't even believe the ending, making it more subversive than anything I imagined.

Yeah like jesus loving christ I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, thank god it didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zaggitz posted:

Welcome to how every Person of Interest Fan has felt for a year.

I can't wait to catch up on Limitless though I was really liking it before I got super busy for tax season.

Person of Interest was hosed because it's produced by Warner. CBS had no incentive to keep production rolling like they would if they were producing it. Limitless is produced in house and has Bradley Cooper as one of its EPs. I'd give it good odds of getting a second season.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jennifer Carpenter was gifted an Ostrich pillow at the first season wrap party.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Great finale. Perma immunity is a great idea. I'm glad they killed my season 2 prediction.

I want to start a Stavros fan club

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nice attention to detail you could barely even read the box, but Brian got the Canadians Tim Hortons donuts.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

Nice attention to detail you could barely even read the box, but Brian got the Canadians Tim Hortons donuts.
pfft any canadian worth their salt will recognize it immediately.

also don't they technically have Timmy's along the eastern seaboard nowadays?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The FBI has resources, yo!

Ratings decline should be attributed to the breaks in airing the show. The good news is CBS owns it outright so that makes it a strong favorite to renew.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Great finale but extremely disappointed that Mike's real name wasn't revealed to actually be "Michael" and that he just hates it being abbreviated.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
As much as having the FBI gain access to the shot would be too risky, as well as putting Brian out of the picture as he wouldn't be needed any more (plus probably turning the series into a dystopian science fiction thriller when every single politician and/or intelligence agency employee becomes a sociopathic supergenius), NZT Rebecca/Brian duo was really surprisingly entertaining for the one episode it lasted and I'm sad there's no way it will happen more often now.

I mean, I guess there's a chance she might pop another pill in an emergency but the impression I got is that most people get one 'freebie' before the side effects become too serious. Who knows how long you have to wait between pills for it to be safe again. You'd think it'd be worth doing studies on, because even single doses of NZT doled out once a month per scientist/FBI agent/doctor/engineer/whatever or something could revolutionize god knows how many fields. I guess the potential damage in even a single pill would make non-immune NZT usage lawsuit bait though.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 27, 2016

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Movie NZT is different from show NZT in that the side effects from the movie version didn't show up for quite a while. Show NZT they come up quickly enough that you'd wonder how there could even be a market for them among the yuppies Brian finds the pills with in the pilot.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Movie NZT is different from show NZT in that the side effects from the movie version didn't show up for quite a while. Show NZT they come up quickly enough that you'd wonder how there could even be a market for them among the yuppies Brian finds the pills with in the pilot.

Show NZT seems to give you a really bad hangover, that possibly stops immediately if you take another pill (at first). The high would put any other drug to shame though - other drugs might make you feel like you could do anything but NZT makes it so you can do anything. I'm pretty sure that Brian started suffering the serious side effects much more quickly than the average guy using NZT the first few times since he's been using for so long he skipped a few stages in the NZT addiction chart.

People would suffer the bad hangovers in a heartbeat until the more serious side effects that start happening even while high start occuring - but at that point the withdrawal is probably even worse, considering they had a team at a hospital ready to help Brian survive going cold turkey on NZT.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 27, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The perma-immunity seemed a bit convenient but honestly I don't really care. It's a good way to move on from that plot device while still giving the FBI a reason to need Brian specifically.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
My main concern about the NZT Squad is that it appears cool but clunky a concept. More resources indicates cooler, more elaborate crimes and mysteries but an expanded cast also potentially dilutes some magic from what makes this show tick. Hopefully its presented in a much more nuanced manner upon its return. For the moment, considering a season 2 confirmation is lacking, I say give us all our 4 mins of hope while the show takes a whimsical 'victory lap'.

Dead Snoopy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 27, 2016

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Dead Snoopy posted:

My main concern about the NZT Squad is that it appears cool but clunky a concept. More resources indicates cooler, more elaborate crimes and mysteries but an expanded cast also potentially dilutes some magic from what makes this show tick. Hopefully its presented in a much more nuanced manner upon its return. For the moment, considering a season 2 confirmation is lacking, I say give us all our 4 mins of hope while the show takes a whimsical 'victory lap'.
Doubt the cast will change much, they'll probably just add Mike and Ike Daryl and Jason to the main cast and maybe have James the Tech and Stavros show up a little more often.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
You need a Stavros on your team!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
That loving greaseball swat door buster was so random!!! I laughed but he made me uncomfortable.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Amazing finale. I am very happy with how things wrapped up -- even though I kind of also hope that maybe Sands survives being shot. And they went for a feel-good conclusion, which was basically exactly how I wanted them to end it.

I wouldn't have guessed out of all the series I've watched this year, that this would be on my top three, but here we are.

Looking forward to it being renewed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Feenix posted:

That loving greaseball swat door buster was so random!!! I laughed but he made me uncomfortable.

He knows his way around a length of piano wire!

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

That was Ron Mund AKA Ronnie the Limo Driver on the Howard Stern Show.

Amazing loving season. There might be better shows on television, but none more fun.

Feenix posted:

I laughed but he made me uncomfortable.

Yeah, that's kinda what he does.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They kind of glossed over how Brian explained his renewed immunity. Also I liked the detail that Piper stole two doses so she is also permanently immune.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

They kind of glossed over how Brian explained his renewed immunity. Also I liked the detail that Piper stole two doses so she is also permanently immune.
She made it, so she presumably took her dose a while ago.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm interested to know if Brian's sudden flashes of insight while off NZT will ever be developed upon. Lots of people (myself included) were annoyed when they "retconned" Eddie needing to take NZT, I'd find it very satisfying if it turns out that taking more and more NZT eventually gets you to the point (as long as you're immune to side effects) that it's permanent, and he's just bullshitting everyone about needing it or immunity shots.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

How was Piper showing up at the end and magically fixing everything not a hallucination? I kept waiting for Brian's whole world to implode right then and it didn't. I'm still kind of waiting long after the credits are over.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

odiv posted:

How was Piper showing up at the end and magically fixing everything not a hallucination? I kept waiting for Brian's whole world to implode right then and it didn't. I'm still kind of waiting long after the credits are over.

If they'd received notification of renewal, I think there is a good chance it would have been an NZT hallucination. But since this could be the last ever episode, they've gone with the safe option of something that would be a satisfying conclusion while still hinting at the potential of the future.

I am glad Brian is permanently immune though, NZT side effects are just a huge drag on the fun of the show.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I add to the chorus of saying that this was a really fantastic finale. Heck, they didn't even have Finch go all action hero like they could have, just as an imagine spot. I realy good feel-good finale

muscles like this? posted:

I think that Finch might have had little choice but to say that Piper made a perma-immunity shot to get back on the team, because everyone else already knows that he actually is not immune, so I don't see a way he could say "I'm immune now guys" without it being figured out anyway. That's why Piper couldn't stay.

And yeah, it would have made no sense if she didn't make herself perma-immune too.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

odiv posted:

I was expecting that but it hindsight I think that would have been a bit too dark for the show. A lot of the show hinges on Brian's unwavering optimism despite all the horrible things he's seen.

Brian having a happy ending and the lack of a cliffhanger was a really good decision for this season. The side effects of NZT aren't really that crucial to the plot and his relationship with Morra can still continue unchanged.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Just finished the season. I really hope they get renewed I love everyone on this cast and their interactions together.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Shakugan posted:

I'm interested to know if Brian's sudden flashes of insight while off NZT will ever be developed upon. Lots of people (myself included) were annoyed when they "retconned" Eddie needing to take NZT, I'd find it very satisfying if it turns out that taking more and more NZT eventually gets you to the point (as long as you're immune to side effects) that it's permanent, and he's just bullshitting everyone about needing it or immunity shots.

I kind of felt like the perma-immunity shot closed the weird loop that the initial retcon formed.

Even though the end of the movie implied that Morra had perma-NZT, it also kind of works if you look at it as if Morra instead developed the perma-immunity shot for himself (and didn't share it with anyone, obviously) and is just popping pills twice a day or whatever. In this scenario, Piper merely re-created the solution that Morra already found.

It also makes Morra less of an overpowered antagonist; if Brian and company can manage to cut off his supply of NZT somehow, they can force him back into normal-intelligence mode - immunity is no good if you can't get the pills.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Didn't they get a 'not tainted by NZT' blood sample from Morra by having him go off the pills for a few days?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Shakugan posted:

If they'd received notification of renewal, I think there is a good chance it would have been an NZT hallucination. But since this could be the last ever episode, they've gone with the safe option of something that would be a satisfying conclusion while still hinting at the potential of the future.

I am glad Brian is permanently immune though, NZT side effects are just a huge drag on the fun of the show.

disagree with this one, they actually did a remarkably good job portraying those side effects. Legitimately creepy and unnerving, which is pretty impressive tbh.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The happy Morra ending to the movie was a last minute addition anyway and a less fun one. Who cares?

I liked the I am Rebecca Harris episode better as a series finale but this one fits in better with the tone. I enjoyed the show but I felt the season was overly long.

I hope they don't renew it. It was fun, the story is complete. Now on to the next thing.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

You could probably cut out some of the early stuff if you're looking for a shorter season. It felt like it lost a lot of viewers in the first 4 or so episodes.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Shbobdb posted:

I hope they don't renew it. It was fun, the story is complete. Now on to the next thing.

NO. BAD Shbobdb. Need more Brian and Rebecca Crimesolving Fun Times

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
It would actually be interesting to have Rebecca describe her NZT experience. Nobody we know of in law enforcement hasn't taken the drug and met a grisly fate except her and it would be interesting to watch her try to translate Brian's type of perspective. Nas would probably get next level nervous and Boyle would have to be kicking himself because the idea of giving his mom 'one last good day' would seem momentarily vindicated.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Wasn't the door buster guy played by the same actor that played Brian's dad.?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Looks like Ronnie Mund?
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1517901

I'd have to watch the episode again, but I think that's him.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

joebuddah posted:

Wasn't the door buster guy played by the same actor that played Brian's dad.?

Not remotely close.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
He's the dad from Boiler Room, and plays almost the same exact character, down to the same expression of disappointment in his son.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

LorneReams posted:

He's the dad from Boiler Room, and plays almost the same exact character, down to the same expression of disappointment in his son.

He was also a major character on west wing iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

LorneReams posted:

thats why i recognise him loving hell i've been wondering it all season. at least jake mcdormad isn't scientologist like giovanni ribisi

• Locked thread