Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tullius
Dec 23, 2015
My missus has just made us watch that louis theroux documentary about westboro baptist church, it's amazing how much I thought of cultists watching that freak show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Anytime sandi makes a post of "Lol the guys hanging out" it's always the SAME loving 5 FAT FUCKS ALL THE loving TIME.

Where are the OTHER employees?!?!?

There are none

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

SabinBlitz posted:

Anytime sandi makes a post of "Lol the guys hanging out" it's always the SAME loving 5 FAT FUCKS ALL THE loving TIME.

Where are the OTHER employees?!?!?

There are none

Busy updating their resume, if they're smart

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

G0RF posted:

One is 15 fps, the other was smooth as glass and would be in VR, too.

The timing of the landing was just perfect. That needs to be shared.

"But Star Citizen has CLOOOOOOUDSSSS!!"

One is brown one is blue they both make me want to play WoW 10 years ago and go visit the slag pit

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

G0RF posted:

Look at the Pupil to Planet video-- compare it to yesterday's Engineers base landing video. Tell me you don't see the similarities. Yet again, one only exists in concept, the other will be playable in a matter of weeks...

You know what, I thought the Elite base landing video was a poke at CIG as well - although I thought it was more similar to the planetary landing video that CIG showed at one point. I meant to go back and find it to see if I wasn't imagining it, then I realised that I couldn't actually be arsed.

From memory in the base landing video that CIG showed, the guy swooped around the base descended into a crater, that's what happens in the Elite Engineer's base landing video. Except that in Elite it's actually in the build and we'll be playing it in a few weeks.

CIG only ever show these things once and then you never see them again, anyone else ever noticed that? Someone oughta make a list.

e: MedicineHut youtube doubler ninja

e: man, the frontier guys did exactly the same type of approach as the CIG guys did in their "concept" video, even looking up at the tower out to the left of the cockpit.
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5723e967e7911-nyx-concept-vs-engineer-base-playable.php

CIG always have cheesy music on these videos to disguise their awful audio. The engine and ship sounds of the Eagle in the Elite video are a soundtrack all of their own. Really beautiful work, I've never heard the Eagle engine before.

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 30, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

SomethingJones posted:

You know what, I thought the Elite base landing video was a poke at CIG as well - although I thought it was more similar to the planetary landing video that CIG showed at one point. I meant to go back and find it to see if I wasn't imagining it, then I realised that I couldn't actually be arsed.

From memory in the base landing video that CIG showed, the guy swooped around the base descended into a crater, that's what happens in the Elite Engineer's base landing video. Except that in Elite it's actually in the build and we'll be playing it in a few weeks.

CIG only ever show these things once and then you never see them again, anyone else ever noticed that? Someone oughta make a list.

e: MedicineHut youtube doubler ninja

I have an effort post in progress called "And For My Next Trick", cataloging all the vanishing 'in-engine' footage we've seen over the years...

peter gabriel posted:

One is brown one is blue they both make me want to play WoW 10 years ago and go visit the slag pit

You've been playing Elite Horizons in VR, right, Pgabz? Is the buggy footage still causing motion sickness on low gravity planets? (If it wasn't for you I know somebody was mentioning it in thread...)

Are you going to give Engineers a go? Or have you burned out on Elite by now?

I just wish they'd add some drat food courts to Elite. And cargo pants. Chris is about to have both and Elite is going to look very, very stupid to be the space sim with no cargo pants and food courts...

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
This comes out in June:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLcjvIQJns0

It's funny, there's articles on gaming websites as recent as March of this year that compare this to Star Citizen and talk about the pros and cons of each game, talking as if Star Citizen is an actual functioning game. lmao

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
:gary::gary::gary:

:yarg::yarg::yarg:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

You've been playing Elite Horizons in VR, right, Pgabz? Is the buggy footage still causing motion sickness on low gravity planets? (If it wasn't for you I know somebody was mentioning it in thread...)

Haven't noticed anything problematic on the few low-g bodies i landed on and drove around.
Then again, i never get VR sickness ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

G0RF posted:

I have an effort post in progress called "And For My Next Trick", cataloging all the vanishing 'in-engine' footage we've seen over the years...

I just wish they'd add some drat food courts to Elite. And cargo pants. Chris is about to have both and Elite is going to look very, very stupid to be the space sim with no cargo pants and food courts...

Yeah I play it sometimes, I find with Elite it's much better for me to dip in and out of now and then rather than treat it like an MMO or whatever.
Planetary buggy stuff never made me feel ill, so can't be me,
I will give engineers a really good go, it interests me a lot and I do like the idea of it.

I would also say that the VR graphics modes in ED are some loving voodoo bullshit magic, I have no idea how the game is so smooth now but it really is, it's quite staggering what they have achieved there.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

MedicineHut posted:

Indeed:

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5723e967e7911-nyx-concept-vs-engineer-base-playable.php

One is just an embellished dream, a tech demo (coming soon since August 2015), and therefore unplayable. The other is real, only announced a couple of weeks ago, and will be playable in less than a week.

Care to venture which is which?

I like the illusion of VR headset use in the SC one too. It's too smooth and too slow to be real, it is just pre-programming camera movement. SC doesn't support VR and never will properly.

G0RF posted:

I've been playing it constantly in VR. I've not had any motion sickness in SRVs so far!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

I would also say that the VR graphics modes in ED are some loving voodoo bullshit magic, I have no idea how the game is so smooth now but it really is, it's quite staggering what they have achieved there.

You've mostly got Oculus timewarp to thank for that.
Can verify it can get pretty stuttery on a Vive (compared to DK2).

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

orcinus posted:

You've mostly got Oculus timewarp to thank for that.
Can verify it can get pretty stuttery on a Vive (compared to DK2).

In your loving face Gaben

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

G0RF posted:

Oh, cool. It's the time vortex.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

Why do they need (at least) 3 60+" LED TVs in their lunch room?

e: I have had occasion to visit one of the studios that makes a little game that may or may not rhyme with Small of Foooty... in their lunch room they have two ceiling mounted 20-ish" monitors that cycle through weekly asset reports and reference footage... evidently they are doing it wrong.

Who cares? Roberts brought them in from home.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

This is my arteries right now

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

LANDND SUCCSFL

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
I was an original backer and really wanted to see a game like what was originally described. I got swept up and ended up backing it for 2000$. A year or so down the line when they "ended" LTI, I got really lucky and people went bananas for it. I got offered a fair bit more than what I paid for it so I decided to cash out. As time progressed, I could not have been more relieved about getting the chance to cash out. My only regret was enabling CIG to get this way in the first place.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

G0RF posted:

Brilliant.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

How were you supposed to do this agile warp dodging and weaving in a clunky capital ship or a freighter lol

Spoiler alert, you don't fly those shiptypes in Squadron 42.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SurfaceDetail posted:

Yea if an actual AAA game were coming out this year they'd be at E3, etc. There'd be previews in magazines all sorts of poo poo.
That's what any mediocre company would do but that's because they lack a marketing genius on the team.

e:

Goobs posted:

no but seriously, why is money there? he doesn't talk. did they literally start putting him in front of the camera to prove they aren't racist? he just sits there smiling like a crack head.
Sandi plays 42 dimensional chess while you smarties are playing checkers.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 30, 2016

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Does Ben get to eat two meals free here?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nunes posted:

I was an original backer and really wanted to see a game like what was originally described. I got swept up and ended up backing it for 2000$. A year or so down the line when they "ended" LTI, I got really lucky and people went bananas for it. I got offered a fair bit more than what I paid for it so I decided to cash out. As time progressed, I could not have been more relieved about getting the chance to cash out. My only regret was enabling CIG to get this way in the first place.

Good stuff aye

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

LANDND SUCCSFL

If Star Citizen had helicopters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-7D0MnDIn8

Ok, tiny, fake helicopters, and this guy is obviously amazing, and it's, you know, *real*.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

SomethingJones posted:

He was referring to the release date of 2.4
LMAO because cultists will be watching these shitshows to get news of the Next Big Thing, and Ben lets them all down during the last minute, then the screen just fades to black.

Reverse the Verse: April 29th, 2016
Apr 29, 2016 @ 01:01:48

"We also have the monthly report hitting next Friday, uhm... *tch*...and you'll be hearing a lot more about two four as we get closer... and we... I always hate, you know, we don't have a release date, there literally is not a release date, when... when it's ready it's ready and it's... it's... getting close... ah... we'll keep you updated... as we get there

Their release date problems are pretty interesting. Not because they are missing dates but because it appears they create a plan of action then during execution they encounter a problem and react to that completely ignoring their past plans and reasoning. They are unable to have an idea of what they want releases to look like and to work towards that. Management consists of nothing more than reacting to the current difficulties largely in a vacuum. They are just going to continue at a glacial pace with huge inefficiency until there is no money left. Their course is set and their completely impotent management style is not capable of changing it.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Nunes posted:

I love reading posts like this. Well done man for getting a few $$$ out of it as well.

It's fascinating to me that you feel regret for enabling CIG - do you look at current backers as part of the scam or as victims of it? Serious question!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I look at past present and future backers like they are literal human garbage and I include myself in that

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I rp in star citizen as Rob Christopher and I fly a pyramid shaped ship

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

G0RF posted:

For anyone who ever doubt that the Roberts / Braben "Frenemy War" was real, I think the latest Elite Engineers newsletter would like a word or two with you...

What's also really cool about Elite's Engineer's update is that they're playing with random loot drop mechanics. The exotic weapons the Engineers can build for players have some randomization:

quote:

"The blueprint defines the changes that will be applied to the weapon or module being modified. These changes have positive and negative consequences, and the Engineers trade is more of a black art than a science, so results can vary with each attempt. There is a small chance that the engineer pulls something special out of the bag and is able to add a special effect, which can add specific abilities to the upgrade, like the special weapon effects we’ve shown in recent newsletters.
Assuming that you’re happy with the result this upgrade will be fitted, or you can choose for the engineer to abandon the upgrade and try again, as long as you have the required resources."

The introduction of variability to the upgrades is such an overdue and welcome touch. As we all know, random loot drops turned grind-a-thons like Diabolo into a compulsive gambling sessions. The tiny hope that you might get a real game changing weapon or armor piece out of a long dungeon grind was so compelling.

Randomness-- the chance to get lucky and score something special-- has enormous potential to make Elite a funner game. The chance you might land some really overpowered piece of tech-- one that helps you punch above your weight-- is just plain cool and I'm really jazzed about the possibilities.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Nunes posted:

Serious question, how did you rationalize spending 2k on a video game? Its your money, so more power to you, but at what point does that no seem a bit....insane?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

MoMA, actual question for you: how much more money do you think they need to finish the game?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Serious question, how did you rationalize spending 2k on a video game? Its your money, so more power to you, but at what point does that no seem a bit....insane?

I think I spent £30 or something, I have had my money's worth over and over again in spite of CIG and not because of them :lol:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

lazorexplosion posted:

MoMA, actual question for you: how much more money do you think they need to finish the game?

I think if they are frugal from here on out they will be ok, but MoMA is the expert on tightening your belt so you're best waiting for his reply

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

lazorexplosion posted:

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

peter gabriel posted:

I think I spent £30 or something, I have had my money's worth over and over again in spite of CIG and not because of them :lol:

Yeah, but 30 is different then 2k. I could get plenty of enjoyment out of 30 for a number of things. poo poo I'd probably pay 30 just to watch you play for the Lols. But 2k?

I just can't wrap my mind around the idea of dropping that much on a game, especially from someone with such a clear and easily found history as CR. Then again that's just me and I'm poor and therefore look into things before throwing money at them.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

I love reading posts like this. Well done man for getting a few $$$ out of it as well.

It's fascinating to me that you feel regret for enabling CIG - do you look at current backers as part of the scam or as victims of it? Serious question!

Well I feel like if I kept it to a reasonable amount along with everyone else, things may have been kept on course. This is a game of what if's, but say CIG only got the 20 mill they needed, maybe they would have been more pragmatic with things. It is like the stories you hear of larger lottery winners. They go nuts and a lot of times end up in a worse situation compared to before having the large windfall.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Yeah, but 30 is different then 2k. I could get plenty of enjoyment out of 30 for a number of things. poo poo I'd probably pay 30 just to watch you play for the Lols. But 2k?

I just can't wrap my mind around the idea of dropping that much on a game, especially from someone with such a clear and easily found history as CR. Then again that's just me and I'm poor and therefore look into things before throwing money at them.

I've spent more on a guitar and I think i you can compare them in a way, both are things you want rather than need but at least I could beat someone to death if needed with my purchase, you can;t do that with a jpeg

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Also you can't play freebird on a jpeg

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I've spent more on a guitar and I think i you can compare them in a way, both are things you want rather than need but at least I could beat someone to death if needed with my purchase, you can;t do that with a jpeg

As a fellow guitar player I disagree. Its 100% a need. I needed that 3rd guitar. Constantly changing tunings is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Well the actual dollar amount was secondary for me. I am fortunate enough to have a decent amount of disposable income for silly stuff. What was going through my mind at the time was that the AAA landscape was very bleak to me. I felt that publishers were doing a lot of harm by rushing out titles and as a result the games were all boring and generic. No one was taking risks. My error was thinking that publishers did not really serve and purpose in the process and were just leeching off of the creative type turning great ideas into bland goo to appeal to the masses. I felt that if SC did well, it would possibly start a renaissance in the games industry and maybe people would try bold ideas again. So I really wanted this project to succeed. What I am learning is that my initial assumptions on things were kinda off the mark and it is a shame the way things appear to be turning out.

• Locked thread