Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How's his hostage situation going?

Ah, kitties...

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
So i'v been following this game called Dual Universe and they pretty much wanna attempt the same thing as SC.

A new post was added, in which they explain why they changed engine lol; They first went with unreal but obviously realized this engine wasn't created for this sort of game.

So now they switched to Unigine, the reason well :

quote:

Unigine is a rendering engine that was well known for GPU benchmarks showcasing advanced Direct X11 features. Quoting their web page, “Unigine 2 is designed to handle virtual worlds of unprecedented scale without limits: double precision of coordinates, supersonic speed of data streaming and huge visibility distance.”. Well, that’s exactly the kind of technology we needed for Dual Universe.

Double precision :gary:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/726204918348926976

https://twitter.com/ballroom_blitz/status/726197263056297984

Does anyone know more about this? Only it looks like Ben "won" a contest at CIG, and that would be insane.

It's the nerd version of when celebrities get sent expensive handbags, jewellery, watches etc from companies on the off chance they'll get photographed using them. Some Razer account manager is going to be hoping nobody remembers this.

AP fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 30, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm glad of it

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

DogonCrook posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/328388/would-you-like-cig-s-product-presentation-to-be-more-clear-and-accurate

This is the second thread like this he has posted. I wonder if he's on the verge of getting it. I mean he does their work for them while making the post. He's put more thought into it than the loving devs, and arrives at the conclusion that its a communication problem...

This thread is gone, I hope you pikeys remember in future that if you spot something screenshot it or it might disappear.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:gary::boom::yarg:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/328370/2-4-content-revealed

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i really hope they ad all that poo poo in to 2.4. the game is so fundamentally broken that every step forward will create just an impossible amount of knock-on bugs that pgabz will use to cause grief

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Anyone's got a copy of the latest Repaint the Hearse?

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Patch 2.4 - amazing update!

Alpha UEC:
Implemented a variable (int player_UEC; )

Persistence:
Implemented some variables (bool alive; double player_location[3]; int ship_type )

Shopping:
Oh and some shops, get your credit cards out suckers. These obsolete clothing assets wont buy themselves.

Gravity_Storm fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 30, 2016

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

:homebrew:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

EightAce posted:

..Mien Gott

Quoting because I think this is a very important response from Eightace and we should all take note.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

frozenpeas posted:

As literally any adult who has a job I am lucky enough to have some disposable income to put towards my hobbIes.

My hobby just happens to be setting fire to my money. You can't laugh at me though because I have disposable income to burn up, unlike you jealous people who don't have the disposable income to incinerate, burn or otherwise dispose of wastefully.

Disposable income. I have it. You don't. Don't laugh at me, please.

Star Citizen's downfall will be when people remember they can pretend for free.

Look at me guys, I'm imagining myself in the verse and making laser noises. It didn't cost $3000 either. We are getting the same thing for two vastly different prices.

Vrroooooooom......pew pew......pkoowwwwww....zzzzzooooooommmmm

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 30, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gravity_Storm posted:

Patch 2.4 - amazing update!

Alpha UEC:
Implemented a variable (int player_UEC; )

Persistence:
Implemented some variables (bool alive; double player_location[3]; int ship_type )

Shopping:
Oh and some shops, get your credit cards out suckers. These obsolete clothing assets wont buy themselves.

Hey, man! They have to implement those variables both in the client and in the backend database. That's like two variables per bullet point! Maybe even a stuct! Can you imagine the workload?

Tippis fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 30, 2016

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Quoting because I think this is a very important response from Eightace and we should all take note.
Hasn't Chris cameoed as someone in all the later Wing Commander games with video, as well as the movie? He's got to be somewhere in SQ42.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Gravity_Storm posted:

Patch
*Amazing
*Update

UEC:
*Alpha
*Variable Implementation
*Implemented a variable (int player_UEC; )

Persistence:
Implemented some variables
*bool alive
*double player_location[3]
*int ship_type

Shopping:
*Shops
*Credit Card utilization
*Sucker Fan Base
*Obsolete clothing assets

FTFY

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

Sorry. Slid into the Sandiverse for a bit.

So, that's what she calls it? :smug:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Trapezium Dave posted:

Hasn't Chris cameoed as someone in all the later Wing Commander games with video, as well as the movie? He's got to be somewhere in SQ42.

Maybe I don't know (never played or even heard of those games till I found this thread) but has he ever stolen a role made for gary loving oldman, the megastar actor known the world over?

It's so narcissistic it must be true, I can't wait to see peoples reactions when instead of gary oldman it's that fat faced mumbly oval office.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Double precision :gary:

But 64 bit was impossible until CIG done it... At least they aren't pretending it is 64 bit everything.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

EightAce posted:

When I saw the latest build my eyes filled with tears

The same thing happens to me when I start up the game. Hell it even happens when I think about starting it up. So I totally get your reaction.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Maybe I don't know (never played or even heard of those games till I found this thread) but has he ever stolen a role made for gary loving oldman, the megastar actor known the world over?
I can't see them nixing a big Hollywood name off their game.

Has the actor representing the player character been revealed yet? :tinfoil:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Trapezium Dave posted:

Maybe it'll be Chris himself?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
3601?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
epic fail

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Trapezium Dave posted:

Unless i'm mistaken I thought it was common knowledge that one of the big name actors wants nothing to do with all this? I could be misremembering it's hard to tell with the rumours and secrecy.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

looks like 2.4 isnt going to happen in april

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

:pgabz: Poastin' parp on a 3600 page:

:gary:

http://tindeck.com/listen/clrcj

http://tindeck.com/listen/ywfur

http://tindeck.com/listen/knbix

:yarg:

Pick your parp! :pgabz:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

yessss! :five:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
Toaast man

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Posting on page 3600

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I know you don't really gel with SomethingAwful's posting culture so to help you out with your job I guess I'll give you a primer on the local colour re: Probations. As you may have cottoned on to, 6-hour probations are the only form of disciplinary action a moderator can take without admin approval. As they're not "serious" enough to get someone to even bother rubber-stamping, six-hours are viewed to be a slap on the wrist at the absolute worst and quite literally a joke or jape at best, sometimes with funny gifs, pictures, or witticisms stated as the "reason for probation." This ultimately means that in other threads and other subforums, getting a sixer as a joke is usually worn as a badge of honor--hence why there was even a thread in this SC subforum dedicated to volunteering to get probations from Derek Smart. A thread he obviously didn't humor. Which is a shame because there's a lot of goons who'd like Derek Smart's name on their Rap Sheet.

Mods in a playful mood might even give troublesome or tiresome posters "mod challenges" to accomplish some feat or risk punishment (the severity depending on the situation, or merely how fed up that mod happens to be), usually related to whatever offense or faux pas caused them to come to moderator attention.

All of this is considered not only acceptable but entertaining to the people who use the SomethingAwful forums because, even in situations where probations are given out as jokes, the moderation is always not only transparent but also explained in plain language. If a rule was obviously broken and there is no need to explain, instead of stating "probated due to rule ##" moderators will simply post some sort of joke on the rap sheet to at least amuse the people who decide to click the button to see what dumb and potentially amusing bullshit whatever that poster happened to get up to, and a joke as a stated cause for probation will usually get someone curious enough to click on the link to bring them to the probated post.

And if that joke only leads to another joke, and not an actual offense, then that's even better for everyone involved.

Safer online communities together.

:bravo:

*sniff* that was... *sniff*...beautiful.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don't understand EightAces new gimmick.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

DogonCrook posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/328388/would-you-like-cig-s-product-presentation-to-be-more-clear-and-accurate

This is the second thread like this he has posted. I wonder if he's on the verge of getting it. I mean he does their work for them while making the post. He's put more thought into it than the loving devs, and arrives at the conclusion that its a communication problem...

Yup. Gone.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

FrankieGoes posted:

I understand it about as much as I understand game development.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

When the Minimum Viable Product goes live, remember, half a loaf of poo poo, is still part of the bigger loaf of poo poo.

ps: There is nothing in Star Citizen now, or in the future, that hasn't been done before. Nothing.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

When the Minimum Viable Product goes live, remember, half a loaf of poo poo, is still part of the bigger loaf of poo poo.

ps: There is nothing in Star Citizen now, or in the future, that hasn't been done before. Nothing.

Watch out dude talk like this makes Citizens mad

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

FrankieGoes posted:

Poe's law as applied to sarcasm.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Massive criminal empires don't exist in places where real law enforcement also does. You might see things like that in poverty stricken third world countries where the government doesn't have the will or power to control them, but in First world countries there hasn't been a real "massive criminal empire" in quite some time. Real mobsters, mafias and the like haven't had any real presence in many decades in the United States, Western Europe, Canada, Japan and South Korea and many other wealthy and stable governments.

Also death and incarceration are real within this game as well. CR said that the only way to get out of prison in game would be to serve your time, bribe your way out or attempt to break out, which would be very hard and just lead to a bigger bounty put on your head.

Death is also real, all players have a "death tax" put on them and their estate when they die and have to make a new character next of kin to take over the estate. From what I've heard criminals will have an even bigger tax taken out of their estate.

And who says it's going to prevent crime. I for one, hope the game will have stupid players for myself and my bounty hunting organization to make a paycheck off of. After all, we have a lot of capital ships and fighters to keep fueled and stocked.

This isn't DayZ, this is a real simulator that's supposed to represent most aspects of life in space, including the consequences of your actions.

If you want to go play a game where you run around acting like a moron teabagging people and and just acting like a general squeaker, then I for one thank you and those like you for sacrificing your play time being spent in prison or as a slave on an alien planet to pay us bounty hunters' bills.

Also, do you honestly think people are just going to let you on their ship without knowing you before hand? You act like people are just going to pick up a random hobo they found passed out in a ditch and make them a crew member. People do this in the PTU because there are no repercussions yet. In the live game most crew members will be members of people organizations, friends in real life or NPCs.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

AngusPodgorny posted:

The purpose of the terms of service isn't to stop an actual lawyer, but to shut up customers that are easily convinced they can't win. Fortunately for CIG, their customers have already exhibited a fair amount of gullibility.

DANGER! Effort post incoming.

This is exactly what is going on. TOS, EULA whatever the gently caress they call their poo poo, is only there for one purpose: Discourage Customers.

I tell you a little story about our favourite games distribution company: Valve

They started out with a pretty ridiculous TOS in 2003. It basically said: "We own the games, you are only renting not buying them and we will take your access away whenever we like even without reason. Now shut up and buy games!" (paraphrasing here of cause). That was when they only had their own games.

People where obviously scared to lose their games and never challenged Steam on anything. The reason they have such a lovely customer support still today is that they never needed one in the first place and never learned how important it is. People where too loving scared to complain.

In 2005 third parties started to distribute on steam. The TOS remained largely unchanged. The fear of losing the games bred a group of steam fanatics that to this day defend everything that lovely company does. No matter how ridiculous it is. But that i digress.

Around 2010-ish a customer from Germany was pissed off with Valve and charged back a game after he exhausted his options with the support. Valve closed his account. The customer then went to file suit arguing that he can return a product as long as he wants if the shop does not specify otherwise and even then a basic return policy of 14 days must be available. This is in accordance to the German "Fremdabsatzgesetz" (online shipping law) from 2000. This did not make it into the press because it never went to court and the customer got his account back.

This was the trigger event for Valve to create Valve S.a.r.l. a couple of years later (founded in 2012) a Europe based sub company specifically to deal with the European laws.

During the 2 years before Valve S.a.r.l. was founded and TOS changed incl. an arbitration rule, i have played and returned at least a dozen games. With full refund. All i ever had to do was Write to customer support that i am a German customer and i would like to return the game within the 14 days granted by the Fernabsatzgesetz.

It always went down like this:

Me: "I would like to return Game X within my 14 day return as per German Fernabsatzgesetz. Please credit the money to my steam Balance."

I copy and pasted my above request on every answer until i got my refund. Nothing else was ever added. Don't ever argue with companies. Make your demands and points clear. Let them do the talking.

Valve: "Automated reply: Games can not be returned"
Valve: "I am sorry but we can not offer refunds for game as per our TOS. However we can remove the game from your account. (delete it without compensation)"
Valve: "We have investigated your account and saw that you played the game for 60 hours in the last 10 days. No backsies!"
Valve: "The game is linked to your account we can not remove it. It is impossible for us to do that or some other technical bullshit reason"

Eventually i would get this:

Valve: "We will credit your account and remove the game as a 1 time favour."

Even when they know they are wrong they keep intimidating you telling you it is a one time favour. This is typical corporate intimidation tactics. This whole Europe thing was a big thorn in their side as they had literally no control over it and as word of mouth spread more an more people here in Europe were doing it.

Enter 2014 and the new TOS: "We will issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours."

The TOS in this case is sadly legally binding. The German Fernabsatzgesetz explicitly allows the seller to impose restrictions like, "labels can't be ripped off", "has to be in original packaging", "no scratches" etc. you get the idea. So Valve added the max 2 hour played rule. Well played Valve.

I am fine with this but if you look at the history on how this came to pass it is full of shady corporate double speak, intimidation and straight out lies.

Bonus Valve Knowledge.

You enter 3 legal contracts with individual EULA/TOS when you buy a game with steam.

#1 is the steam usage agreement also often called "subscription service". It grants you unlimited downloads of the game, updates and access to steam and all it's services.
#2 is the steam purchase agreement. It contains returns policies, arbitration and payment policies.
#3 is the license agreement with the original owner of the copyright for the game. This is very important since you do own a legal license granted to you by the original copyright owner. (most people don't even know about this)

All 3 of these are part of the contract when you buy a game on steam. This has an interesting legal twist however since the subscription is part of the game sale Valve can never deny you access to your existing games.

This was further reinforced when they changed the TOS back in 2013 to include arbitration and a couple of people found multiple ways to circumvent the "I agree" button and claimed they never agreed to the new TOS and they can not be held hostage and forced to agree.

Valve folded on that too and said that they can of cause not agree but any further purchase would be impossible since the subscription TOS is part of the sale.

What this means is that Valve can never deny you access to your existing games. They can stop selling poo poo to you and ban you from the community. But they need to give you access as long as you want.

tl;dr: Corporations are lying bullies that should always be treated with suspicion and caution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

ewe2 posted:

I just have one question: would anybody like some Toast?

* lyrics
* yeah yeah yeah we all know what you said, you're still Toast
* yes i'm a terrible singer, it's the thought that counts
* that was first degree toastercide!
* some parps!

The parps were fidelitous, commando!

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Yeah, but 30 is different then 2k. I could get plenty of enjoyment out of 30 for a number of things. poo poo I'd probably pay 30 just to watch you play for the Lols. But 2k?

I just can't wrap my mind around the idea of dropping that much on a game, especially from someone with such a clear and easily found history as CR. Then again that's just me and I'm poor and therefore look into things before throwing money at them.
pgabz, if you do another video could you monetize it with the youtube rental thing? I'd love to see the reactions.

• Locked thread