Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Cliff Racer posted:

Nepal, thats where the vast majority of sherpas live.

He meant the climbers. It could be an unfortunate translation issue. Or they could be native english speakers and just rude as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
The dude was from Florida so i guess either option?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

He meant the climbers. It could be an unfortunate translation issue. Or they could be native english speakers and just rude as gently caress.

Definitely the latter. Jeff Brown is that self important attorny we were all laughing at on the previous page. The one who needs a visit from an angry Everest.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

~Coxy posted:

Yeah, I know, I was making a joke. This thread has been complaining about that owners comment for over a year, how can you follow it and still be shocked when you see the clip?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The film was only put on limited release December last year wasn't it? Watching it I knew it was coming but it was still shocking because of the casual way he said it and his utter lack of regard for the fact that 18 of the Sherpa's colleagues had died and he was annoyed that they didn't want to climb and help him out.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I was almost more shocked by Russell Brice. Telling his "boys" he's frightened for their safety not because of Everest but because he's totally heard they're in danger of being kneecapped by their own countrymen was pretty disgusting. The silence in that tent as he pushed his theory was deafening. Also, him in voiceover talking up how Sherpas are inscrutable Orientals who don't want to reveal what they're feeling... which was in sharp contrast to the film's touching interviews with Sherpa climbers and their families. What a surprise, take people out of the context of talking to their combination benefactor/boss/exploiter and they are a lot more open.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Cliff Racer posted:

Nepal, thats where the vast majority of sherpas live.

Not sure if joke or you misunderstood., TOo hard to tell with goons.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The dude was from Florida so i guess either option?

okay yeah.

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah, I know, I was making a joke. This thread has been complaining about that owners comment for over a year, how can you follow it and still be shocked when you see the clip?

You still never can tell with goons lol.

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 30, 2016

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

BobHoward posted:

I was almost more shocked by Russell Brice. Telling his "boys" he's frightened for their safety not because of Everest but because he's totally heard they're in danger of being kneecapped by their own countrymen was pretty disgusting. The silence in that tent as he pushed his theory was deafening. Also, him in voiceover talking up how Sherpas are inscrutable Orientals who don't want to reveal what they're feeling... which was in sharp contrast to the film's touching interviews with Sherpa climbers and their families. What a surprise, take people out of the context of talking to their combination benefactor/boss/exploiter and they are a lot more open.
I got the impression he was only pushing that theory for the cameras/clients to prevent any potential animosity from certain idiot clients unable to understand why Sherpas wouldn't want to continue the season after just experiencing the deaths of their friends. Didn't one of the Sherpas basically said just that in his interview as well, while adding that he's not heard of any threats?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Brice came off as really exploitative and scummy in that film. I had previously thought of him as a reasonably good guy trying to make the system right from the inside, but after seeing Sherpa, I have changed my mind. He's exploiting them just as much as the rest of the operators, he just knows how to hide it a little better in front of the press and outside world.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I agree about Brice, although I do not envy him having to become the defacto 'leader' of that mess. How do you even begin to marshal that sort of scenario? Having to juggle the needs of your extremely entitled rich-gently caress clients, and the dudes that basically do literally ALL of the heavy lifting and background work. I don't know how much money he takes home each year but I hope it is worth it.

Tim Medvitz comes out of one of the more decent people from the Westerner's 'side' which tells you all you need to know really.

I love this quote from Jeff Brown's TERRORIST blog entry which sums up his attitude-

:smuggo:

quote:

First Tibet was taken over and now so is Nepal. A Sherpa way of life is ending. And for some reason I am in the epicenter of it.
:smuggo:

ALL ABOUT HIM, AGAIN.

Edit- here are more Mountain songs,

this one actually about Everest but not about the death and douchebags.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhgfzEm3CWU

and one about Kilimanjaro, a South African mountain. With the video filmed in South America. But it's a fuckin wicked tune and the video is pure Bollywood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35Q8InfNpMo

Rondette fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 30, 2016

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Rondette posted:

and one about Kilimanjaro, a South African mountain. With the video filmed in South America. But it's a fuckin wicked tune and the video is pure Bollywood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35Q8InfNpMo

Love the shot at 0:50 where it looks like mr. fluffy hair is about to walk backwards off the side of the mountain

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Woah, now!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

lol.

This song is from the film 'Endhiran' which also contains this action scene that was doing the rounds on the internet a while ago. It's such a random weird film. I love it. I wish Western films would break into non-sequiter 5 minute long song and dance scenes. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yysbbPStfWw

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

I get that some poo poo went down before the brawl in 2013, but what was the word the european dude said to set the nice strong-backed guys off? Was it just "loving" ?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Rondette posted:

I can Ladysplain.

The long story is contained within the Discovery show 'Everest:Beyond the Limit' in which walking 'RUFTY TUFTY USA BIKER' stereotype Tim Medvitz attempts to scale Everest. He was in an accident (which iirc was on Sept 11 2001) which the show tells you about at least 3 times a show, and is packed full of metal pins, staples and other stuff, so that makes him SPESHUL. He is climbing with Russell Brice's Himex outfit, regarded as the best on the Mountain. However being an American Stereotype he thinks he knows better than the leader and veteran Brice and frequently ignores his demands to come back and generally pises Brice off with his 'If you can dream it you can do it' attitude which people like Brice are not fans of, especially if it leads to a fatality on the mountain and a spot on Brice's (so-far) spotless 0 Fatalities rate.

Here is a video with his INJURIES montage included which you will see a lot if you watch the show (which is, having said that, is a Good Show)
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/everest/videos/everest-beyond-the-limit-tim-medvetz/

He's not a BAD GUY, he treats the Sherpas with respect and knows a bit of Nepalese, but, he's the antithesis of everything that Brice is. (edit-oh yeah he got to the top of Everest the next year, breaking his hand in the process and neglecting to tell base camp who surely would have told him to return immediately)

You could also watch this video-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikOpVGeGKFs

VVV Ha ha yeah drat I had forgotten that VVV
He broke his hand and hid it so he could finish summiting and had to be rescued on his way down. HOW is he a guide? Who is hiring him? Why is he even allowed back on the mountain?

Also I remember him eating an entire pizza on his last night in base camp. People aren't nerds about what high-calorie foods they eat when climbing for no reason. High altitude can do funny things to the body and one of them is some serious constipation, people prefer compact 'high calorie' foods like peanuts because you might not poo poo for your entire summit. That gets me from personal experience. I live at sea level and spent 3 days acclimating in the grand tetons before climbing mt. washburn and then hiking in glacier national. Starting at mt. washburn I couldn't poo poo for a week, I had to stop eating solid food and subsisted on milk and orange juice while lugging 3 days of food in my bloated gut.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sanctum posted:

Also I remember him eating an entire pizza on his last night in base camp.

Bahaha, I'd forgotten about that. Nothing like a stomachful of carby, doughy, cheesy junk to get you up a mountain. Jesus gently caress.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I love how nobody in this thread noticed that Kilamanjaro is not in South Africa, at all, in any way.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Yes it's very funny mr. John Oliver

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Perhaps a hamster posted:

I got the impression he was only pushing that theory for the cameras/clients to prevent any potential animosity from certain idiot clients unable to understand why Sherpas wouldn't want to continue the season after just experiencing the deaths of their friends. Didn't one of the Sherpas basically said just that in his interview as well, while adding that he's not heard of any threats?

Oh I got that impression too, but to push the theory on his Sherpa employees too? I found that really offensive, and it makes me wonder if he actually believes that idea to some extent. Maybe it isn't just the story he thinks his clients want to hear, it's what he wants to believe too, and he managed to convince himself it must be true.

Did you catch the bit where he had the gall to tell his team of Sherpas they were just being intimidated by a few bad apples, and tried to imply they should tough it out and climb anyways? That they were harming their reputation and livelihood by not being happy clappy smiling helpful cutesy Sherpas? Ugh.

Brice is probably the best of a bad lot. What a hosed up business.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Rondette posted:

I agree about Brice, although I do not envy him having to become the defacto 'leader' of that mess. How do you even begin to marshal that sort of scenario? Having to juggle the needs of your extremely entitled rich-gently caress clients, and the dudes that basically do literally ALL of the heavy lifting and background work. I don't know how much money he takes home each year but I hope it is worth it.

I wouldn't feel too bad for him. He, after all, decided to build his business on the clientele of rich gently caress clients and the backs of underpaid sherpas. That he (and the rest of the operators) didn't foresee the conflict that was brewing between the core of their service (the sherpas), the natural dangers of the mountain, and the artificial ones imposed by servicing rich gently caress clients, is on them.

They were never gonna mitigate the poo poo conditions UNTIL something like this happened that threatened the revenue train.

Lucania
May 1, 2009

DJ BK posted:

I get that some poo poo went down before the brawl in 2013, but what was the word the european dude said to set the nice strong-backed guys off? Was it just "loving" ?

'Motherfucker.'

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

BobHoward posted:

Did you catch the bit where he had the gall to tell his team of Sherpas they were just being intimidated by a few bad apples, and tried to imply they should tough it out and climb anyways? That they were harming their reputation and livelihood by not being happy clappy smiling helpful cutesy Sherpas? Ugh.
Yeah, that's the part where I was hoping he's been playing it up for the cameras as an excuse so his clients don't get pissed off at Sherpas. Or at him, I guess. Then again, that might be just me giving him a huge benefit of the doubt 'cause I want to believe at least one Westerner on that mountain is somewhat looking out for Sherpas' interests :smith:. Also, the part where he talked about them all basically losing a year's salaries was legit depressing. Like, you'd think if he cares that much he could just pay them anyway, I'm sure he could afford it considering the difference in salary.

The government's 'intervention' was something else as well. 'Uh, hey guys, we heard there's some trouble brewing and we should get involved. So, here we are. Okay, bye now.'

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

I love how nobody in this thread noticed that Kilamanjaro is not in South Africa, at all, in any way.

Derp. Ok yeah my bad. Tanzania.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Umm OK I'm totally adding Constipation as a negative status in the next update of #Everest.

Topher87
Jun 28, 2008

CommunityEdition posted:

My sister couldn't understand why I wanted to watch NotEverest until they got around to the summit/death ratio. Also surprised at how many people didn't die.

Especially that woman who wanted K2 to accept her.

Yeah, it was a year where there were 0 summits though. Everyone doing it seemed quite level headed about turning around when they were too tired instead of the typical summit fever you see. I really enjoyed it. gently caress that mountain though

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Yeah, that's the part where I was hoping he's been playing it up for the cameras as an excuse so his clients don't get pissed off at Sherpas. Or at him, I guess. Then again, that might be just me giving him a huge benefit of the doubt 'cause I want to believe at least one Westerner on that mountain is somewhat looking out for Sherpas' interests :smith:. Also, the part where he talked about them all basically losing a year's salaries was legit depressing. Like, you'd think if he cares that much he could just pay them anyway, I'm sure he could afford it considering the difference in salary.

The government's 'intervention' was something else as well. 'Uh, hey guys, we heard there's some trouble brewing and we should get involved. So, here we are. Okay, bye now.'

I kind of got the feeling the Brice was playing the clients against the Sherpa as a way of getting them to voluntarily cancel the climb since he didn't want to have to buy rope and fixings from the other expedition groups. Plus, the Sherpa in his team would pretty much have to run the ropes the whole way up Everest since all of the other expeditions had cancelled the season. Brice was being super manipulative. If he'd taken the executive action and cancelled the season, he would have had pissed Sherpa and pissed clients, but if he got the Sherpa and clients to agree to the cancellation, he would get to be the good guy.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Seems like a problem of being the captain but not really. As in, on a ship, discretion and responsibility lies with the Master, if you cowboy it because the business pressured you, it's still on you, you're the one with the qualifications.

Part of your job is to sell your unpopular decisions for their necessity, be a leader. The problem is he's the business and the captain at the same time, which is why I'm always leery of working on ships where the CEO is the Captain. It invites dodgy priorities and a paralysis in the face of customers, crippling their ability to be the authority on safety matters.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

It's south of the Sahara, which is a north south divide for Africa.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Does anyone have the photo of the whale on top of Everest? That was funny.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's south of the Sahara, which is a north south divide for Africa.

It’s also south of the geographic midpoint of the continent, which lies in Cameroon.

Still, the correct term is “southern Africa”, or “sub‐Saharan Africa”, not “south Africa”.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

this. Except gators

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Thanks for reminding me about a tribe in africa who has long hollowed out tubes they use to blow air into a goat or cows rear end for some reason or another when getting milk.

I remember thinking to myself "how do they know which end to blow into and which goes in the cow butt?" As there were no visible markings aside from i'd imagine smell.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

My brother-in-laws team is off doing their acclimatising stuff at the moment, should be going up soon, I think. For all the personalities and egotist bastards going up every year I think he (and his team) are alright, taking only experienced climbers and just going up and coming down again without too much drama.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

lenoon posted:

My brother-in-laws team is off doing their acclimatising stuff at the moment, should be going up soon, I think. For all the personalities and egotist bastards going up every year I think he (and his team) are alright, taking only experienced climbers and just going up and coming down again without too much drama.

They all taste the same to the mountain god.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lenoon posted:

Your brother in law drinks snow poop tea

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Sherpa is kinda depressing

I want the mountain to eat the rich assholes like mr. "Their Owners" brown but statistically it's just more likely to eat the sherpas, and if everest was closed off a lot of money and education would stop flowing into their poor mountain villages

it's a sad situation all around

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

He does drink poop tea, he's also kindof a professional guide and expedition leader, goes to the North Pole and stuff. Pretty cool. But this is Everest so he takes rich people up to nearly die pointlessly at the top of a mountain covered in corpses and poo poo and empty oxygen bottles and one day probably won't come down.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

lenoon posted:

He does drink poop tea, he's also kindof a professional guide and expedition leader, goes to the North Pole and stuff. Pretty cool. But this is Everest so he takes rich people up to nearly die pointlessly at the top of a mountain covered in corpses and poo poo and empty oxygen bottles and one day probably won't come down.

How would he feel about taking a serial killer who wants to cull the rich with him? As long as he and his team remain untouched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

From what I can tell it's a team of serving and disabled soldiers? I don't know much about it. I haven't poked around looking for blogs or anything yet, but I guess if people wanted to follow along, the website is atrocious:

Blog-thing

And some news report thing about the team:

From military.com

and USA today

lenoon fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 1, 2016