Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I forgot to add Secret Window.

"you shtole mah shtory. I'll be back in THREE EVERLUVIN' DAYS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guy Mann posted:

This episode was so funny that I don't even care that every letter was probably either completely faked or at least heavily embellished.

Shut your mouth. The eternal love that arose from a showing of Aeon Flux is a historic fact that contains no errors or embellishments.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Gyges posted:

Shut your mouth. The eternal love that arose from a showing of Aeon Flux is a historic fact that contains no errors or embellishments.

I'm prepared to believe in the Gamemaster story but that one was a Flux Too Far imho.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The guys' rising laughter as the Aeon Flux lies just go on is the best part of the episode.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
There have been a few "Meh" episodes, but not many. The one I distinctly remember not bothering to finish was My Science Project.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Nothing is going to top Yeah It's That Bad's weeks-long odyssey of being strung along by emails from a guy claiming to have gotten shot by a gangbanger at a movie theater and becoming a local hero who was writing everything from his hospital bed.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

They'd better watch it with all these letters about public soilings, they might start getting some of them creepy likes...

I found this like in the ghaaarbage...

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
I get way too much joy out of their occasional, often apropos of nothing, Mystic River "IS THAT MY DAUGHTAH IN THEEEEERE??"
Sometimes it just randomly pops into my head.

Did anyone see the Chicago show? A friend of mine did and sent me a poster, it's pretty dang cool.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Aside from shows featuring Larry the Cable Guy voices (which is only 2 or 3) which I can't stand (but that's just a personal thing), I wouldn't say there were any bad episodes. That said, I noticed that the episodes covering new movies tend to be less funny. BvS and Entourage spring to mind. I can understand the hatred for Entourage but that episode is like 2 hours long and they have to tell us about character stories from the series - and correct each other because they hadn't seen all the series - and it begins to drag. I think there are only 10 or maximum 15 episodes I wouldn't listen to again. That is a drat great strike rate for 250 episodes. E: Actually, factoring in all the animation damnation, side orders of sleaze (why don't they get mentioned in the thread?), the total must be 300 episodes.

So, episodes on newly released movies generally less funny. Agree/disagree?

Oh, I would say a few of the "topic/event" episodes are skippable for newbies.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 29, 2016

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Aside from shows featuring Larry the Cable Guy voices (which is only 2 or 3) which I can't stand (but that's just a personal thing), I wouldn't say there were any bad episodes. That said, I noticed that the episodes covering new movies tend to be less funny. BvS and Entourage spring to mind. I can understand the hatred for Entourage but that episode is like 2 hours long and they have to tell us about character stories from the series - and correct each other because they hadn't seen all the series - and it begins to drag. I think there are only 10 or maximum 15 episodes I wouldn't listen to again. That is a drat great strike rate for 250 episodes.

I def. prefer when they do old z grade poo poo

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Their sweet spot is definitely the 80s and 90s, but I find the content of the movie to be more of a factor. Easy Rider 2 and Foodfight, both of which I listed as top episodes, are from within the last decade. Much like brilliant art, truly spectacular poo poo transcends mere time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

For sure. What makes covering obscure movies funny is the weird telephone game they're playing trying to make sense of it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

I get way too much joy out of their occasional, often apropos of nothing, Mystic River "IS THAT MY DAUGHTAH IN THEEEEERE??"
Sometimes it just randomly pops into my head.

Did anyone see the Chicago show? A friend of mine did and sent me a poster, it's pretty dang cool.

Or pippi popping up to direct horse stunts or help kill Seaan Penn's daughter in Mystic River

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'd watch the movie based on the Game Master.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grapplejack posted:

I'd watch the movie based on the Game Master.

Which episode is that?

edit: Oh, it was this letter thing. I was very tired listening to it after midnight.

Corek fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 30, 2016

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

E: Actually, factoring in all the animation damnation, side orders of sleaze (why don't they get mentioned in the thread?), the total must be 300 episodes

Side Order of Sleaze is great and they need to do another one.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aside from shows featuring Larry the Cable Guy voices (which is only 2 or 3) which I can't stand (but that's just a personal thing), I wouldn't say there were any bad episodes. That said, I noticed that the episodes covering new movies tend to be less funny. BvS and Entourage spring to mind. I can understand the hatred for Entourage but that episode is like 2 hours long and they have to tell us about character stories from the series - and correct each other because they hadn't seen all the series - and it begins to drag. I think there are only 10 or maximum 15 episodes I wouldn't listen to again. That is a drat great strike rate for 250 episodes. E: Actually, factoring in all the animation damnation, side orders of sleaze (why don't they get mentioned in the thread?), the total must be 300 episodes.

I think it's because they come out of the new movies with the urge to tell the world how much it sucks. Which generally is going to dull the edges off their point since they seem to be doing the episode about 5 minutes after they get back from the theater. Taking only long enough to set up the equipment and take a piss. The older stuff, and even the newer listener request stuff, is done after the movie has had a little time to settle into their head and be processed. Plus at least one of them has usually seen the movie once before or generally had an idea of it's contents.

I don't think you ever have as strong an opinion about a movie as the time between when it ends and when you go think about something else for a bit. You can come to like or hate a movie more with time, but you lose that visceral feeling that makes you want to argue with someone who thinks differently. That reset time is the time when your brain remembers that it's OK to like/hate a movie. So go read a loving comic book, play some Taken 3, or drink some not at all suspicious Apple Jack. Then your brain is in a better place to talk about the Sons of Martha or remember Goober.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Seriously though, I hope Kenny G gets the help he needs.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

JT Smiley posted:

Seriously though, I hope Kenny G gets the help he needs.

Like a PC on which to write his long-rear end fanboy emails?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my loving god, the end of that Aeon Flux story :stare: Hahahaha

How?!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
WHM is really taking a beating from the Very Stupid People demographic!

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/726124407211626496

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If anyone ever does any research beyond watching the movie for a review of Larry The Cable Guy: Health Inspector, the should immediately be committed. That is far more than anyone in the movie itself ever did and engaging in any thing approaching a historic and socio-political examination of the American South as a regional or political entity is clearly nothing more than madness. Additionally, they have clearly gone beyond the call of their art by knowing not only the gist of Larry's comedy act but his actual name and that he is merely caricature done by a rich guy.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
Do these people not even read the name of the podcast? It's a comedy show called 'We Hate Movies' for chrissake, and people get upset that they make jokes at the movie's expense instead of in-depth reviews? Good lord, put your tweet down, sir.

Also, I was glad to hear Justin J. Case is going to be on an upcoming episode, he was always my favorite recurring guest on the show.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mr Jaunts posted:

Do these people not even read the name of the podcast? It's a comedy show called 'We Hate Movies' for chrissake, and people get upset that they make jokes at the movie's expense instead of in-depth reviews? Good lord, put your tweet down, sir.

Also, I was glad to hear Justin J. Case is going to be on an upcoming episode, he was always my favorite recurring guest on the show.

The funny thing is, when they cover a movie I actually enjoy I usually end up getting an even bigger kick out of it. Mortal Kombat and The Devil's Advocate are some of my favorite episodes, for instance. Maybe it's because I enjoy the rough edges in those movies, though.

What kills me is that someone decided to go to bat for this goddamn Health Inspector movie. They've done other movies with Larry that are better than this poo poo! You couldn't pick a worse hill to die on!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Mr Jaunts posted:

I heard they already recorded it, but I forget the name of it already. "American <something>" I think

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

American Dreamz, I think

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
A while back on Jupin's twitter, he posted hate mail from someone upset by their episode on Pixels. The fat jokes they made offended him as well. People will defend the strangest movies.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

For fans of Babycakes, I found the intro song to the episode, which is truly rad! Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6VnqpYkRJA

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

TetsuoTW posted:

American Dreamz, I think

The only reason I remember this movie existing is because despite coming out halfway through Bush's second term there were still people making a fuss about how disrespectful it was to have a movie making fun of him.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The GameMaster could legitimately make for a pretty decent movie actually

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Calaveron posted:

The GameMaster could legitimately make for a pretty decent movie actually

Joysticks is kinda close it to it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TetsuoTW posted:

American Dreamz, I think

It's a movie where a suicide bomber tries to win American Idol in order to assassinate President Bush on-air.

That's going to be a hell of an episode

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

American Dreamz, I think

Wow I totally forgot about this garbage movie I watched

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's a movie where a suicide bomber tries to win American Idol in order to assassinate President Bush on-air.

That's going to be a hell of an episode

This has to be up with Foodfight and Easy Rider 2 for "most bizarre premise".

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Corek posted:

I would love to have We Hate Movies do an episode on God Bless America just for being even more impotent and misguided in its hatred of American Idol despite being made half a decade after American Dreamz.

It even has a loving William Hung parody. In 2011.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Of American Dreamz, Man Of The Year, and Swing Vote, which is most dated?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Corek posted:

Of American Dreamz, Man Of The Year, and Swing Vote, which is most dated?

I gotta go with Swing Vote.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The formula for the "intensely apolitical dumb political comedy" was perfected with King Ralph, anyway

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Corek posted:

The formula for the "intensely apolitical dumb political comedy" was perfected with King Ralph, anyway

You just know they're gonna be constantly comparing American Dreamz unfavorably to it, btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Corek posted:

There's not many movies that are less in need of a sequel than Easy Rider. That story is perfectly self-contained.