Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
That is loving rad as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Obligatory Toast posted:

That is loving rad as hell

Agreed, in fact quoting it for the new page because everyone should see it not just last page chumpers.

Plethora posted:

I made a Butterscotch fanart a while back. Wanted to share:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Do they make cat sized sunglasses? Butters needs some clearly :3:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey Chili maybe you can help me out, I have a pretty large cat I'd like to give a bath to, he's not butterscotch size but he's pretty big and is all muscle, this is a cat that could beat my rear end if he wanted to and sent me to the hospital once with a bit so vicious it came out the other side of my hand.

Normally he's a sweetheart though except when it entails anything that isn't pets or food, giving medicine, cleaning his ears any of that sort requires at least 3 people and even then its nuts, anyway me and my mother would like to give him a bath but we don't know how to approach it, we don't have a bathtub or anything we mostly bathe the cats here in the spare sink next to our washing machine.

Mom would also like to give a bath to our oldest who is 12 but she's afraid something might happen to him, not sure if you can have any advice for that.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Op you got a nice thread here, mind if i throw in some photo infodumps from my experiences doing rescues, im not the best foster, i usually keep em, but rescues are kinda their own thing so i can do a different thread if youd prefer.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

SneakyFrog posted:

Op you got a nice thread here, mind if i throw in some photo infodumps from my experiences doing rescues, im not the best foster, i usually keep em, but rescues are kinda their own thing so i can do a different thread if youd prefer.

Go right ahead!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

Hey Chili maybe you can help me out, I have a pretty large cat I'd like to give a bath to, he's not butterscotch size but he's pretty big and is all muscle, this is a cat that could beat my rear end if he wanted to and sent me to the hospital once with a bit so vicious it came out the other side of my hand.

Normally he's a sweetheart though except when it entails anything that isn't pets or food, giving medicine, cleaning his ears any of that sort requires at least 3 people and even then its nuts, anyway me and my mother would like to give him a bath but we don't know how to approach it, we don't have a bathtub or anything we mostly bathe the cats here in the spare sink next to our washing machine.

Mom would also like to give a bath to our oldest who is 12 but she's afraid something might happen to him, not sure if you can have any advice for that.

My best advice bere is to stick with pet friendly wipes. Baths will lead to maulings.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Alteisen posted:

Do you have a shower stall? That's what I used.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Alteisen posted:

A friend knows how much trouble I have giving Snicket her twice yearly baths, so she recommended a waterless cat bath product. I haven't used it, since the reason Snicket gets her baths is to help keep her coat from yellowing, but she said that it works wonders. I believe the brand she used was Vet's Best. You might also want to look into pet wipes, as Chili recommended. Not all cats will tolerate them (it's actually easier to give Snicket a bath than to use wipes - and it's pretty terrible giving her a bath), but some of my pet guardian friends swear by them.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I'm sure there's a cat version as well but I have a bottle of waterless dog shampoo that you spritz on a towel (or on the animal itself but I don't think a cat would take kindly to that) and it works well enough. Not as well as a good scrubbing with soap and water but it gets rid of dog stank till we can get a good scrub. It's like dog febreeze.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sorry i meant to start writing things up and stuff but i had my parents in town for a week and am utterly ecstatic with the notion of having personal space now

so I guess i can start with a bit of it.

so I have 4 dogs and 2-1 cats, and some fish, and a lot of wildlife and stuff but I guess that doesnt count.

all of the animals I have acquired are either rescues from hostile environments, ones that just showed up, and general wildlife that tends to get injured or hurt or whatnot.

I inherited the -1 cat Motu from my ex wife, which was one of my only utter and complete demands regarding splitting up, as he is the bomb and is awesome and passed at 18 from like old age and being too awesome. He used to steal pizza by the slice, sneak straight bourbon from my glass and once fell asleep in the pan after eating half a lasagna i forgot too long on the countertop. We picked him up at a last-ditch shelter because he was banging his head on the cage and was old and ugly and had a huge overbite. His previous owner was involved in a meth lab in some way and he was kinda hosed up

while he was alive he was the complete and utter alpha male of the house.

Well then things didnt quite work out with the lady of the house so i figured well a dog is a good plan, nothing personal folks but I want to be multispecis-al and stuff and not be known as a dog person or cat person.

oh yeah i have like a little fishtank and stuff.. had it for like years because fish are relaxing

so i got my big stupid orange dog, doyle who is a big awesome baby.

he came from a friend who went to an animal shelter and that they were having issues homing him because he was distrustful of people and bit at kids. He had a really exaggerated flinch response at first. the cat basically ran him all around the house he was so scared of Mo the tyrant.

Then I must have put out a call of the loving wild or something, we discovered in the area a shitton of gopher tortises, which in the area are quite a lynchpin and endangered species for the area especially, relocation was out of the question so basically had to put together an area for them to roam and burrow without being savaged by the dogs or hosed with by roads and people.

they have done well even bred once :neckbeard: which is its own fun tale.. if you like i'll write up more later, but im trying to be productive at the house while also decompressing from a week of houseguests and some of these pictures are all organized very dumbly by me.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 4, 2016

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
What the heck, I want tortoises :3: That's awesome

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Part 2:
Ok, so I’m actually working today so I can get some of these pictures organized while compiling poo poo or watching progress bars lie to me.
Yeah the tortoises are pretty cool, I only worry about a dogge getting too curious about what the armored battle tortoises are doing, they have a pretty long neck and that beaky thing is sharp as hell (guess how I know?)

ANYHOW. Continuing the origin story of sneakyfrog, animal person.
Well so after constructing the tortoise habitat, apparently word got around to the other animals that I was very accommodating. So I began to get visitors.
Usually its just stray dogs, 1 maybe 2 of em show up at a time to say hi, So I usually give em a quick once over to make sure they are reasonably healthy (for strays) and give em some water and send em on their way. There are a couple of consistent strays in the neighborhood that seem like they have homes based on how clean they are, the condition of their nails and coat and general weight, so usually those ones I don’t feel too bad petting and saying hi gooood dogge and letting em make their way on.

Some on the other hand are all kinds of hosed up.

So arriving home from work my usual routine is get home, close up the property gate and let out the dog (at this point it was just one).. well at this point plan was going well up until I opened the front door and was greeted by a big ugly grey thing on the porch.
Yeah that’s a pitbull. Well, more of a pitbull bulldog thingy after I make sure the orange dog is inside I naturally as frogs are wont to do get curious and decide I need to investigate.

*obligatory baby orange dogge pic*

Remind me to get my disaster pictures of lady, I took some but I have em on another machine as I really get depressed looking at them.
Well, I went outside, to this flinchy twitchy grey thing just to get an idea of what is going on with her. No Hair from the shoulderblades back, ribs are glaringly evident, paws are bloody and ripped, worst case of mange I’ve seen in a while, ears cropped right down to the skull, nipples swollen and dragging on the ground, and her *ahem* junk appeared rather frequently used. Big chunk of her tongue missing and abrasions on the neck where it looked like she had been chained to something for a long time. Basically some rear end in a top hat pitbull breeders puppy factory.
So I go get some food and water for the poor baby and hope not to get mauled.
At this point, I had no real experience with pits other than that my friends had had them, and they were very boisterous and difficult to consistently train. As well as that lovely murderdog reputation So I’m fairly cautious.
Well, she hid under a table outside, and just watches, so I figure ok fine, just unsure of people, I’ll give her some food and water and just hang out outside to where she can see me, but I’m not within arms reach or in a threatening posture. Food is gone practically instantly. I assume from her poo poo condition that she most likely is v hungry but I really don’t want to overstress her if she hasn’t eaten in a while. So I tried to space out the meals over the day. (Usually I feed everyone at the same time in one fell swoop) She just chills, on the porch. After a few hours she gets curious enough to come investigate me and say hi.

Hi dogge

Hi

Well at that point I wasn’t going to let the dog in, it was a mess, god knows how hostile it was and whether it would try to eat the cat or maul the other dog, so I figured well, gently caress it lets give it a bit of time and see what happens. So I just left it on the front porch at first, and left the gate open during the day. With shade food and water on my front porch. I figured she would be gone when I got back home from work.
Nope.
I get home and there is a very happy bouncy grey thing on my porch, all bounces and wiggles.
Fair enough, feed the dogge, water the dogge
Lets SOCIALIZE THIS THANG.
So I bring out the big orange one to say hi,
Doyle is all excited to have something around that isn’t the hostile cat to sniff at so he is all like “sup” Pitbully doesn’t seem too phased, and doyle bellies up. Cool. Pack hierarchy established with no fighting, fantastic. So I make a vet appointment, for a day or two later so I can maybe let her in the house and stuff.
Well that was the plan anyways.
Florida decided to be florida and started up with the torrential sideways rain. I am a big softie, and I cant let that poor puppy stay outside in that poo poo, the front porch is soaked and she is trying to hide under a coffee table to keep dry.
Come inside puppy.

Oooohhhkaaay.

What the gently caress is that?

So.
Mofus K mofus, Guardian of the nine realms goes apeshit.
Chases the dog to the corner of the den, and patrols the perimeter, wont let the dog move out of the room.
Eh I’ll come back to this….. office meetingy time.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

My heart always melts at that sweet pibbul face. Good luck with the new girl -- thank you for caring for her.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Another part, in which I go back through the depressing poo poo I dug up this weekend.
Ok so I mentioned I would get back to pictures of Lady, (the grey pit walleye thing) the day I got her, or rather the day she showed up.

You can see the horrible condition of her skin, the white areas barely have any hair and at the time the skin was just flaking and falling off, so I gave her a bit of a clean up bath at first and doused her with about a quarter of a bottle of aloe and she seemed to calm down with the itching and scratching a bit (this is prior to the vet visit obviously, we haven’t gotten to that part yet, even though my GF already has informed me that the kitten showed up prior to lady, and I hadn’t gotten to that part either so whatever)

Then she passed out after some food and water
I’m a big softie so I gave her a pillow

Yeah I wear cut off jeans at home, whats up. I usually don’t wear shirts either, even when I cook bacon so I hope y’all can deal with that and my poor white trash fashion and beer choices.
At this point I figured oh.. she is a destroyer, but she still seemed to like the pillow.

So yep went to work, and left the front gate open expecting her gone

Nope.
So anyhow I think we are caught up.
Bonus Mofus Bath picture.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
More! You're awesome for taking the poor dog in.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Sorry, I usually write these in the morning during coffee so.. :coffeepal:
Well, I guess we left off with Mo, stalking lady around the house and boxing her into a corner. Full on stalk mode too, looking huge, hackles all up doing that “oh you wanna loving go” meowgrowl.
Lady was rather petrified, but eh.. I would rather the dog respect and fear the old rear end man so I let it go for a bit.

2 observations:

1: Mo is kind of a badass, he went on loving guard duty and just patrolled the perimeter of the den, he wouldn’t attack Lady but he wouldn’t let her leave.

2: Lady is not in any way housebroken. Oh loving JOY.

So during this time I had been dating around a little bit and finally settled down a bit with another similar person. She has animals too. A little eh.. dog thingy like half Chihuahua, half shiba inu?

Her and doyle are buds

And she has an evil laserface parkour cat Loki who I don’t have pictures of because he is evil, only stirs at night and has many secret lairs throughout the house, I’ll try to snap one later, as it is he is an aloof dickish rear end in a top hat cat who is occasionally nice.
Well once Mo started calming down about being defensive about the house things started going pretty well

Mochillin

Lady became buddies with Doyle

Good buddies

Got lady to the vet, fixed, all the stuff. Vet estimates her age at about 5-6, reasonably good health save immediate fixable stuff a slight heart murmur, about 10 pounds underweight.
The underweight gets fixed pretty quick.
Finally housebroken after about 6 months of effort and the most disgusting messes I have ever dealt with in a dog.. err I guess out of a dog.
Mo is now chill with lady.

Super Chill

So apparently at some point during this lady process I get a phone call from my girlfriend who mentions a kitten had just wriggled through a hole in her back fence because it was being chased by a dog.
poo poo, remind me to get kitten pictures.
Kittens are adorable.
And a complete and utter pain in the rear end.
This one talks.
Like all kittens it is covered in micro razor blades.
If my forearms wrote an autobiography it would be entitled “Kittens, Puppies and Cooking, no no I’m not an emo self cutter”

So now we have 3 dogs and 3 cats for those keeping track. I think we are about halfway through the story here. I’m gonna do the next part to get it out of the way because its dreadful and then the rest of the story will be nice.
So about this time after all this animal excitement, Mo is on the decline. He is about 18, eyes are going pretty fast, and starts to prefer exclusively my company alone. Starts avoiding the other animals. Normally for me so far when the pack alpha starts losing it, that’s when you are going to run into behavior issues with all of the animals.

The hierarchy is in limbo.

Mo is still eating, still drinking, still wrapped around my forearm every single night, just not expressing his dominance, and the other cat is noticing, which is a major problem for Mo. Loki starts trying to gently caress with Mo, which I’m not having much of, but if you have an old cat, they start declining extremely rapidly when it gets near their time and its frighteningly fast.

Go to the Vet. Its old age, and he is shutting down. No amount of wealth or wishes is going to stop this.

Vet (who is a creepy but very cool guy) wants to know if I want to take him home and he will come out if needed. The office is a few blocks from my house. I say thanks and take Mo with me.

gently caress.

I stopped at the liquor store and got a liter of some good cognac and a few cigars.

I’m going to get utterly hammered and we are gonna do this together buddy.

Call into work, say I aint coming in for a few days.

I figured I would just give him the best day ever, it was the very least I could do.

Girlfriend helps take care of the other animals, I am an utter trainwreck mess.

I guess if you have been around for a lot of animals dying sometimes you just know that its the day.
So I took him outside, propped him up on a lawnchair and we hung out all day getting hammered.

I mentioned he used to steal liquor straight from my glass, his last day I just let him do whatever he wanted.
We hung out all day and watched the sun go down.

He went to sleep wrapped around my forearm like every night before that.

He left at midnight.

I made him a flower garden in the backyard.

Holy poo poo this was hard to type, sorry about the lack of pictures. He looked so bad that day.

Aaaand this is my favorite picture of him ever.

Sorry about the somber tone of the last bit. But it’s a sad part in the story, it gets better.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
RIP Mo, you were a tremendous badass.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

So sorry to hear about Mo...what an amazing cat. Very glad to hear he found an amazing companion in you. :unsmith:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
as a palate cleanser from that morose poo poo here are the promised kitten pictures, ended up calling him intruder.

he is big and fat now.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Well, apparently progress bars and compiling poo poo is going to take forever, so I’m gonna keep rolling if no one minds, I hate to leave it on that lovely note.

So, the pack order is pretty shuffled up at this point, and lady and the evil cat loki are vying for dominance. This is about the first point that I had to be really aware as to what the animals were doing while they sorted out their game of thrones poo poo. Eventually Lady figures out that size indeed matters over sharp and poky claws and teeth, and as she is not really a nipper or biter I begin to worry less. Lady just kinda shoves everything out of the way like the little hippo she is and my girlfriend gives her the official title of drooldozer.

Yay! The pack is good now right? No issues or problems or anything! Great!

Well naturally, the pack seems to be a very mutable thing, and apparently the universe decided “gently caress it” and decided another curveball might be in order. We had planned to go up to Michigan for a family thing and had a friend of ours over to dog/cat sit. Naturally I try to vet folks beforehand, as if the pack doesn’t respect you and you aren’t the boss there is no way im leaving them with you.

So usually I try to do a trial run beforehand for a weekend day just so I can observe and see how they handle the crew. This time things went a bit differently.

Early Saturday morning, no sounds but birds, wind chimes, the wind in the leaves and a nice overcast sunrise, sitting on the front porch with coffee and a cigar when the still is disturbed by the rumbling of a skyjacked blue ford f150
Ok I live on a private drive, the only cars on it I usually know and I don’t know this one. My neighborhood is very private and somewhat tucked away down gates and dirt roads. Generally, if I see a car that doesn’t belong on the side of the road, somebody is loving in it. Standard procedure is usually knock on glass and ask if they need any help as they sheepishly attempt to zip up and zip off.

This bro-truck stops in front of my front fence and just idles (the road is one car wide, so jackass is blocking the road), I naturally decide to investigate, and go grab my shoes. Throw my flip flops on and get back out the front door to hear “Welp Bye” from cab of the truck, and see some dark shape fly out the window of the truck and hit one of the fence posts with a dull thud.

My heart sinks.

I know whats going on here.

Tiny-penis truck spins its wheels sending up a huge ploom of dust as it screeches off down the road way over the speed limit. I am already headed for the other side of the fence to see if what I think is going on just really went down in front of my house. Get to the other side of the fence and,

Oh for fucks sake.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
OMG. People are such colossal loving assholes.

Also, drooldoser is a ridiculously awesome title for the head dog.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Once they find out you'll take them in, that's where they'll drop them off. Especially if you live in the country.

You can ask my parents to confirm. They've lost count of the times they've opened their front door to a cat, kitten, dog, puppy (one time a ferret), left on their porch.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Geolicious posted:

Once they find out you'll take them in, that's where they'll drop them off. Especially if you live in the country.

You can ask my parents to confirm. They've lost count of the times they've opened their front door to a cat, kitten, dog, puppy (one time a ferret), left on their porch.

Ehhhhh not sure that's the case here, not a lot of uhm.. Caucasians in my neighborhood.. Besides at the moment I'm at responsible capacity. I'll get to what happens when new animals show up in the morning if it's nice and mellow

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

SneakyFrog posted:

Ehhhhh not sure that's the case here, not a lot of uhm.. Caucasians in my neighborhood.

:crossarms:

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
I assume he meant the guy who left the dog was white so he's probably not from around there and therefore wouldn't know he's taken in dogs?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Pretty much. it was a white guy in the truck, that came out rather horribly my apologies.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
So out of all the things I can say at the house to scare my girlfriend “honey I think we have a new friend” is most likely getting pretty high on the list. Usually means at a minimum 500-1000 in vet bills plus toys food crates etc and all the fun that involves. Not to mention in this particular case. It’s a puppy.

Puppies are in my opinion the biggest pain in the rear end that has ever been, they are lucky they are pretty drat cute. This one we dubbed echo, which reminds me that I most likely shouldn’t get one of those amazon echo things.

You might be able to see a little blood on her forehead in my picture of her last post, her head went right into the fencepost and for about 3 weeks she had a little unicorn horn at first. Fortunately, she has a very hard head and the bump seemed to go away.

The vet said she was about 5-6 months old, and in really good health despite her unicorn horn and dirty appearance. No fleas or anything. So got her fixed and began training a puppy.

A very bouncy and hyperactive puppy.

She also likes to pose for pictures.

This is one of the first that required literally almost 100% attention for months, no time for vidja games, or anything that I cant be able to monitor destroyotron 5000 the puppy. Crate trained, housebroken, and most importantly mouth trained. No biting, or chewing unless it’s a toy and all that. Which takes waaaaaaay too long with some of these bouncy boisterous breeds. Echo needs about 2-3 hours of full on sprint level play in order to not be a force of destruction in the house. I have about 1.5 acres that is fenced so usually I just let all the dogs out to romp and such. I used to throw tennis balls for echo as she loves to play fetch, problem being if she can get it between her back teeth she will just snip it in half, the expensive KONG ULTRA balls last about a week, so I had to come up with a different plan. I have a lovely neighbor who drives golf balls into my yard from some direction (don’t get me started on my plans for returning them to their rightful owner, all at once at high speed preferably through something breakable) so echo just runs around the yard and brings me golf balls, hell enough to where I could sell em back to a driving range if I get em before she chews the cover off it.

She is also quite the chewer, enough to where she could cause some serious damage if she doesn’t have an outlet, currently on the floor I have about 3-4 of the extra large nylabone things, as well as that horrible large plastic nylabone ring, I don’t see how the pits like those things as they seem very hard, but they do a good job with teeth and gums and don’t require constant replacement unless its falling apart.

When she finally is worn out she likes to cuddle when she sleeps.

So. WHILE this was happening, about three weeks after echo shows up I wake up one Sunday morning, and start gathering up cans and bottles for the recycling. The recycling bins are usually behind the house tucked away a little bit so they don’t stink if you open the side door. Start tossing bottles and cans into the bin, tink! Tink! Tink! Yip!

Bottles don’t usually make yip sounds.

Open the door, “hon, you aren’t going to believe me but.. well I think we have another friend”

Inside the recycling bin (short about 1.5 feet high) there is a tiny loving dog. TINY. ITTY ITTY BITTY TINY DOGGE.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

oh my god it's like you have a portal to the infinite pups dimension

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

vaguely posted:

oh my god it's like you have a portal to the infinite pups dimension

Well that just makes me think of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_3NQwtz9yo

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Kwyndig posted:

ohgod, ill be a professional puppywrangler if i can get sponsored... plethora of puppies. :ssh: dont tell the girl

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Kwyndig posted:

Oh... I would totally do that.

Also, who the hell puts a dog in a recycling bin. Well, I guess; reduce, reuse, recycle does work in this case. Dog is seeing reuse.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Showed the girl the puppies forever video

her: "no"

welp.

guess i'll have to puppysmuggle.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Sneaky frog, you are clearly an animal wizard.

As for Chili's house o' fosters, I do apologize for going dark for a bit there.

It wasn't for lack of fostering, however. In fact, just the opposite.

My wife and I had to go out of town for the weekend so we dropped off our current batch at the SPCA. When we came by to pick them up, we were informed of another litter that needed help. So we cleared out the guest bedroom and set up foster room number 2.

Upstairs we've got the fabric batch (Cashmere is the mom, and Cotton and Velvet are the kittnes)

And downstairs we've got the candy batch (Sophie is the mom, Warhead, Peanut, Apple, Ludo, Tic Tac, and Peep are the kittens)

Pictures!

Peanut

Peep

Tic Tac

Velvet & Cotton

Cotton being a lion

And of course....

And in case anyone is counting....

12. There are 12 cats in our house right now.

It's somewhat crazy but I'm getting surgery on my foot soon and we'll be unable to look after fosters for a bit, so we're getting it all in now.

Also, I'm so happy you guys are all posting about your own experiences, keep fostering/rescuing!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do we know Butters' opinion on foster kittens?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chili posted:

d'awwww. Shucks i just like to fix slightly damaged things.

Chili posted:

12. There are 12 cats in our house right now.

:3: do you have a litter room?

I'll post about the little dogge later, effortposts are a bit too much for me at the moment we have some clients form the formerly dont be evil company in the office today so I'm limited to

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Do we know Butters' opinion on foster kittens?

Yes. His opinion fluctuates from "these look tasty now watch my eyes fill with murder" to "holy poo poo why are these things here now watch my eyes fill with murder."

When we let the kittens roam the house, Butters is sequestered in our bedroom. Our other permacat, Monty, is a sweetheart though and doesn't seem to mind them.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

With kitten season in full swing, my wife and I are waiting for either a solo or a brother/sister pair to pass through the TNR program since we don't have the space to put a whole litter in a room to themselves. Our rescue has a few litters in need of socializing, which is the cutest part of the job: holding cranky kittens and forcibly petting them so they realize humans cause good things to happen. When they seem too stressed, they go right back to mom to get calmed down.

The worst part of dealing with post-op cats is that some colonies/families have a genetic quirk that causes them to metabolize anesthesia weird. They get special attention: warm water bags against their stomach in simple cases and aggressive petting/stimulation in worse ones. Basically, you really roughly pet their shoulderblade area in an attempt to make them mad and get their blood pressure to rise. It works, but it can take a couple hours for one cat.

Please, if you feed or see stray/outdoor cats, find a local TNR group. They will help you trap the animals, neuter and give them a basic exam including rabies vaccine, trim their ear tip to show they're sterile, and get released back where they call home. It gradually reduces colony numbers and virtually eliminates toms fighting each other for territory or ladies. And ladies will live healthier lives without the drain of constant pregnancies.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

As for Chili's house o' fosters, I do apologize for going dark for a bit there.

It wasn't for lack of fostering, however. In fact, just the opposite.

My wife and I had to go out of town for the weekend so we dropped off our current batch at the SPCA. When we came by to pick them up, we were informed of another litter that needed help. So we cleared out the guest bedroom and set up foster room number 2.

Upstairs we've got the fabric batch (Cashmere is the mom, and Cotton and Velvet are the kittnes)

And downstairs we've got the candy batch (Sophie is the mom, Warhead, Peanut, Apple, Ludo, Tic Tac, and Peep are the kittens)

Pictures!

Peanut

Peep

Tic Tac

Velvet & Cotton

Cotton being a lion

And of course....

Holy poo poo, I just squeaked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Cat progress update:
Luna = Status unchanged; humans bad.

Emma = Purrs upon eye contact.

Fery = Diva. Enjoys destruction, naps and poo poo posting.

On a lighter note, I turned the sprinkler system on tonight and discover that prior to being captured, Luna and Emma decided to chew holes in every single drip line in the yard. Spent hours on repairs while they peered mockingly at me from their room.