Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
I'm sorry I was mean to you Glowku, Infinitum triggered me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pmach was on fire in the early game blocking shots, yeah.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Good job! :toot:

Allen Wren posted:

I got a lot of thoughts about this game. They're pretty messy thoughts, so I'm not gonna post rashly. In the meantime, here:

Scumdoc
Moddoc
I love how AA's kill succeeded every night, but only night five saw a second death.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Birdstrike posted:

good game folks

well done prop machine

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Yeah that was crazy. It actually made it very difficult to tell we had a SK which is a pretty good problem to have. Really nice job town, salvaging that game after TWO no-lynches.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I'm not gonna lie though, the lack of participation by a few people made this game considerably less enjoyable and if that's indicative of the Mafia community here it makes me not want to play again. :(

Thank you Allen for the game. The flavour was awesome.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm sorry I was mean to you Kasumeat.

It's only cause I hate you.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Well we all know it certainly wasn't because you were right :)

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
:cthulhu:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kasumeat posted:

Well we all know it certainly wasn't because you were right :)

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
First game I've actually survived! I really only knew it was AA when he came at me so hard on the last day.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Not true though, I actually had beans on toast last night. :)

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
drat, I had my victory photo lined up and everything. Good game everyone!

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
So close. One day I'll win as SK. One day... should have tried to debunk the doc claim and side with with AR. I had fun though. Sorry for lying :)

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Kasumeat posted:

I'm not gonna lie though, the lack of participation by a few people made this game considerably less enjoyable and if that's indicative of the Mafia community here it makes me not want to play again. :(

I hope you sign up for more games. You were great!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kasumeat posted:

This is the sort of thing I spent a lot of time yelling about in private.

A more sober assessment later, but the scumdoc shows quite a lot of me losing my poo poo.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

So close. One day I'll win as SK. One day... should have tried to debunk the doc claim and side with with AR. I had fun though. Sorry for lying :)

Yeah that probably would have worked, it worked with bebop after all.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Allen Wren posted:

D'aww :3:

I'm just sad my master plan didn't come to fruition. I hated the cop claim and the block confirmed 8e8op not to be full of poo poo; figured fake cop would claim an investigation anyway. I was going to use it for cases the next day.

Then I got whacked :v:

Phone posting sucks but thank you once again to Allen for the obvious effort that went into this. Fun setup, fun flavor, and I think I even managed to learn something.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, I'm not going to try to not belabor the point, but...

Jimson.

This is a dude who did not show up in the scumdoc until nearly the end of day one (and also basically never thereafter), bussed both his scumbuddies, would only tell them "he had a plan" instead of coordinating, would only tell me after both his scumbuddies were dead that he "wanted to try a solo run", went back and posted in his column in the scumdoc to make it look like he'd been there the whole time instead of showing up when the hammer fell to coordinate with his surviving buddy, didn't read the thread such that he posted gameplay material when the thread was only open to talk scheduling, continued to not read the thread to the point that more than once he tried to kill or vote on players who were already dead, lurked incessantly, gave me a rash of passive-aggressive bullshit that my modding was bad and I hurt his feelings and needed to mellow out when I was giving him the business in private for all this poo poo above and then has the nerve to state that he was "playing a game he didn't care about" and was "distracted by his own game" in the thread while the SK who nearly won the thing was also running their own game so it's no loving excuse.

In short, are you loving kidding me?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

I was giving him the business in private

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the thing that astounds me is that we were unable to get him bussed when he was acting so incredibly scummy

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm a huge advocate for just straight up lynching lurkers over actual targets for reasons like this.

Like I might get shirty with Kasumeat, but dude was actually playing the game and pissing someone off is a good way to get an actual read on someone.
It's very hard to fake annoyance~

Not gonna rip on the dude too much, but please don't sign up for games if you're not going to have the time to actually play in them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Before I forget, shoutout to Allen Wren for the ridiculous amount of info in each role PM. Good job there guy.

Do you know this stuff, or were you copying it from somewhere?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
All I'm saying is, you guys should be less skeptical. Let a guy get his bloody victory. I really wanted that win lol

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Before I forget, shoutout to Allen Wren for the ridiculous amount of info in each role PM. Good job there guy.

Do you know this stuff, or were you copying it from somewhere?

I am a pretty hardcore music geek.

The premise for this game came up around the same time I was running my first game, Hotel California `76, when I was reading two books on the music scene of NYC in the appropriate time period (Legs McNeil & Gillian McCain's Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk and Will Hermes' Love Goes to Buildings On Fire: Five Years in New York That Changed Music Forever, the latter of which is quoted in the OP). I've got records by the vast majority of these artists on my shelves, and a lot of the material that comes up in the role PMs and the like did come straight out of my brain. I did do research to make sure my memory was accurate on facts where I wasn't 100% sure (am I going to remember the exact timeline of Richard Hell joining the Heartbreakers and the guys quitting the New York Dolls because of Malcolm McLaren's ideas about dressing them up as red leather communists? No. Am I going to remember the phrase "red leather communists" for the rest of my life? Yes.) and especially to determine exactly what was up with each of these people in the spring-fall of 1977. There were a few biographies where I was just learning about the people in question (Nicky Siano, Hector Lavoe) so those are far more heavily researched, but they did come up in Love--->Buildings, which takes on the monumental task of tracking all the musical trends in the city of that time, so that was the source of their inclusion.

That post was wanky bullshit so here's something interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O92UBBaiI4

This is a 1978 one-off disco record credited to "Dinosaur", co-produced by Nicky Siano, featuring David Byrne of Talking Heads on guitar, basically doing a dry run for the guitar sounds he and Jerry Harrison would cook up on the Fear of Music record.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Anyway, before I get too distracted, I do want to thank everyone for joining and playing my game, and I hope you come back for the next one. I'm not going to try and call out individuals for MVP status or whatever, but even amongst the critical failures, there was some stellar play, and I appreciate that.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I'm a huge advocate for just straight up lynching lurkers over actual targets for reasons like this.

Like I might get shirty with Kasumeat, but dude was actually playing the game and pissing someone off is a good way to get an actual read on someone.
It's very hard to fake annoyance~

Not gonna rip on the dude too much, but please don't sign up for games if you're not going to have the time to actually play in them.

To be fair I'm pretty sure we both thought each other was scum right until our respective flips so I don't know how well that did work after all :P

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Probably after our last couple of interactions I was positive you weren't scum, but I'm also a huge sarcastic arsehole so I probably took it too far at some point.

I generally play a very jokey game regardless of alignment.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Allen Wren posted:

So, I'm not going to try to not belabor the point, but...

Jimson.

This is a dude who did not show up in the scumdoc until nearly the end of day one (and also basically never thereafter), bussed both his scumbuddies, would only tell them "he had a plan" instead of coordinating, would only tell me after both his scumbuddies were dead that he "wanted to try a solo run", went back and posted in his column in the scumdoc to make it look like he'd been there the whole time instead of showing up when the hammer fell to coordinate with his surviving buddy, didn't read the thread such that he posted gameplay material when the thread was only open to talk scheduling, continued to not read the thread to the point that more than once he tried to kill or vote on players who were already dead, lurked incessantly, gave me a rash of passive-aggressive bullshit that my modding was bad and I hurt his feelings and needed to mellow out when I was giving him the business in private for all this poo poo above and then has the nerve to state that he was "playing a game he didn't care about" and was "distracted by his own game" in the thread while the SK who nearly won the thing was also running their own game so it's no loving excuse.

In short, are you loving kidding me?

This is loving awful, by the way.

Quick edit: the behavior described therein, not the post itself. The community is starting to take a stronger stand against lurkers - it made the D&D game MUCH better as a result and I hope to see the same in other games. Lynch lurkers and blacklist habitual offenders in extreme cases if warranted.

Podima fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 1, 2016

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
For the newer players as well, if you haven't rolled scum before it's normally courtesy to get people's agreement in scumdoc first before going and bussing each other in thread. You have to actually be in doc though I guess.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Birdstrike posted:

For the newer players as well, if you haven't rolled scum before it's normally courtesy to get people's agreement in scumdoc first before going and bussing each other in thread. You have to actually be in doc though I guess.

Scumbrotherhood is meant to be a sacred bond.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

SirSamVimes posted:

Scumbrotherhood is meant to be a sacred bond.

Hahaha

I've arranged for my scumbros to lynch me before but there's a plan behind it, not just naming my scumbros D1 for no reason.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bussing is a useful tool, but just doing it right off the bat is lovely.

YOU HEAR ME VENOM SOAG!?

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
This is why you lynch lurkers. I played rear end this whole game but lasted to mini lylo because I didn't post.

I am gonna pretend this was an educational art piece on why you lynch lurkers.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
I am so relieved I voted right. Though with AA continuing to push back after my last vote I felt more comfortable that I had made the right decision. Yay, go town. :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jimson posted:

This is why you lynch lurkers. I played rear end this whole game but lasted to mini lylo because I didn't post.

I am gonna pretend this was an educational art piece on why you lynch lurkers.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Locked thread