Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
So are they cool with me culling the rich or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Microwaves Mom posted:

So are they cool with me culling the rich or not?

I know a guy who directs documentaries, and we haven't had a doomed to fail goon project in a while.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Behold, the lav!

They're gonna carry all the poo poo back from base camp, on a Yak. So...that's nice, I guess!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

that's the face of a man excited about his new pooping opportunities.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
We can only hope Tim Medvitz gets good coverage of it. And dies inside of it.

e: Did anyone sidebet death for Medvitz?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Do the climbers carry lose leaf tea or tea bags? This is important to me.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Rondette posted:

Behold, the lav!

They're gonna carry all the poo poo back from base camp, on a Yak. So...that's nice, I guess!

This man has like, one small child foot and one large foot. He even put different color boots on. What's up with that?

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Day Man posted:

This man has like, one small child foot and one large foot. He even put different color boots on. What's up with that?

My guess is that he lost his toes on his right foot.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Prosthetic maybe?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Do the climbers carry lose leaf tea or tea bags? This is important to me.
You eat loose tea at base camp so when you boil the poop snow you get some tea out of it.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Day Man posted:

one foot appears short bc it's inclined pointing towards the camera and the colors are different because of shadows and lovely sensors

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

unpacked robinhood posted:

one foot appears short bc it's inclined pointing towards the camera and the colors are different because of shadows and lovely sensors

Nah, one of those boys is bright yellow. One of them has a dark toe section and the other doesnt. It's not just coloration. The size thing you're getting at may be right, but they're definitely different boots.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He's part of Tim Medvitz's expedition which I think are all combat veterans who have lost body parts in action, so I'll bet it's a prosthetic. Can't help feeling they'll be losing more under Tim's 'care' too.

Edit vvvv I thought that too. Maybe it starts next year..vvvv

Rondette fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 1, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I thought Nepal wasn't letting disabled people climb the mountain?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I thought Nepal wasn't letting disabled people climb the mountain?

The only articles I can find after a cursory search (now I'm not phone posting) say that they were 'considering it' in September last year, but I can't find anything after that. Given the pathetic way they appeared to handle the Sherpa situation in that film, it doesn't surprise me that nothing further was done.

http://www.outsideonline.com/2020966/what-everest-climbing-restrictions-mean

quote:

On Monday, the Nepali government announced a major step in keeping Everest safer: it will consider placing restrictions on age, experience, and ability on those who can climb the world’s highest peak. “We want to make the mountains safer for everyone, so we have to insist on some rules,” tourism department chief Govinda Karki told the AFP.

Currently there are no restrictions in place and any climber who can pay the $11,000 permit fee is able to purchase one. The proposed measures, which could be in place by the 2016 season, would require a previous 6,500-meter summit by each climber, ban disabled climbers who can’t climb on their own, and forbid those younger than 18 and older than 75. (In 2010, China introduced an age requirement of 16 for summit attempts from the north side.)

Especially young or old climbers have rarely caused any issues—the youngest person to climb was 13-year-old Malavath Poorna, a teenage girl from India, and the oldest was Yuichiro Miura, an 80-year-old from Japan. Disabled climbers have routinely made successful attempts on the mountain, as well—Mark Inglis, a double amputee from New Zealand, successfully summited in 2011. It’s the experience requirement that could make the biggest difference in safety.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Maybe they should only let disabled people and alpineers climb Everest? The not disabled people aren't proving anything at this point by being number whatever thousand to reach the top, the disabled folks get legitimate nice accomplishment to feel good about, and crowding goes way down.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
It says disabled persons who can't climb on their own, which makes sense because someone who needs to be carried up on a litter probably should give up on their dream of being a 'mountain climber'.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Ive personally been putting off my everest expedition until i am disabled, really want to challenge my self

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
also not going to get any other climbing experience to really up the game

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Not Everest but still featuring well aged climbcicles:

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-...8bc4fa3afa8443b

quote:

THE bodies of two climbers killed 16 years ago after an avalanche hit them have been found in a melting glacier.
The widow of Alex Lowe confirmed in a statement that two climbers attempting to ascend the 26,291-foot Shishapangma mountain in Tibet discovered the remains of two people partially melting out of a glacier.
The climbers, David Goettler from Germany and Ueli Steck from Switzerland, described the clothing and backpacks seen on the bodies to Conrad Anker, who was climbing with Lowe and cameraman David Bridges at the time of the October 1999 avalanche and survived. Anker concluded that the two were Bridges and Lowe, the statement said.

Bonus link to a video about Lincoln Hall "I shouldn't be alive. Left for dead on Everest."

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's south of the Sahara, which is a north south divide for Africa.

No

Platystemon posted:

the correct term is “southern Africa”, or “sub‐Saharan Africa”, not “south Africa”.

Yes. I suppose it wouldn't matter if South Africa were not a country. But it is, and if you say "south Africa", even with an uncapitalized 'south', it refers to the country.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
In other Himalayan news, Shishapangma struck early - three guys fell in a crevasse and two of them died. The crevasse was snowed over and they were just sitting on it, eating lunch or something, when the snow bridge went.

Also several people including a 77 year old summitted Annapurna in the past couple days.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

gohuskies posted:

In other Himalayan news, Shishapangma struck early - three guys fell in a crevasse and two of them died. The crevasse was snowed over and they were just sitting on it, eating lunch or something, when the snow bridge went.

According to this earlier story on the same incident, Everest Base Camp's sheer altitude has killed two trekkers who weren't even going to try to summit.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

BobHoward posted:

According to this earlier story on the same incident, Everest Base Camp's sheer altitude has killed two trekkers who weren't even going to try to summit.

The mountain hungers.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

No

Yes. I suppose it wouldn't matter if South Africa were not a country. But it is, and if you say "south Africa", even with an uncapitalized 'south', it refers to the country.

Hey man I admitted my error, I think writing South America threw me off a bit in my haste to share that absurd video. Kilamanjaro is in Tanzania. A country on the continent of Africa.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Just watched Sherpa, Brice does really come across poorly in it.

To me though it seemed less about racism, more about capitalism and power. He brings to mind the owner/operator of a dangerous mine or something, desperate to stop his workers striking after an accident and long term, stop them unionising, both lying to them to sow discord and mistrust and throwing the odd bone (writing to the ministry etc) to put them off attempting collective bargining.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

EngineerJoe posted:

You all need to follow EverestNoFilter on snapchat. They're posting daily updates of their trip and it's pretty interesting.
Edit: Found their website http://www.everestnofilter.com/

One of their sponsors is Soylent. I hope the mountain eats them.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
maybe they're going for "first everest deaths due to lead poisoning"

gotta be a first for everything right

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
First everest serial killer. Think of the books you could publish and sell!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Microwaves Mom posted:

First everest serial killer. Think of the books you could publish and sell!

Son of Sam ruined it for everyone.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Platystemon posted:

Son of Sam ruined it for everyone.

I think the mountain angle is good though, because you can claim this poo poo but no one can ever prove it unless there are witnesses. What forensics team is gonna risk life and limb to go up the mountain to try and retrieve trampled over and ruined evidence on corpse mountain. Its like looking for a specific needle in a needle haystack.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Microwaves Mom posted:

I think the mountain angle is good though, because you can claim this poo poo but no one can ever prove it unless there are witnesses. What forensics team is gonna risk life and limb to go up the mountain to try and retrieve trampled over and ruined evidence on corpse mountain. Its like looking for a specific needle in a needle haystack.

If I Did It

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Do it at the peak and they won't be able to prove which country it was in at the time.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
The Eiger Sanction movie already covered murdering on the mountain better than anything else could.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
What about cliffhanger starring Stallone. I never saw it but it assume it had some killin

Also I've always wondered if it ended on a cliffhanger

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

now color his boots green

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Lame year, but terrific thread title.

Chair In A Basket fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 3, 2016

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Brice came across as pretty much a dick mostly worried about his business, but the bullshit he told his team about the fear of reprisal if they climbed was obviously just his excuse because he didn't know how to be straight up with his clients. Pretty typical excuse to invent an outside force so he can say "We want to go, the sherpas want to go, but we can't because..."
I think it's loving stupid to not just be as honest as possible about something like that, but I think he honestly did it in a well-meaning way, despite how stupid it is.

Sumit Joshi, Nepali expedition operator posted:

I think the expedition organisers, they knew in their heart what their Sherpa wants, but they couldn't tell that clearly to their clients. It's just excuses they are using to throw the blame on somebody else.

This dude sums it up perfectly straight after that part of the movie.

I also thought Tim Medvitz had like, the most sensible reaction to the news, but I haven't seen any of the other stuff with him in it.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Platystemon posted:

If I Did It

someone gets it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I think it's loving stupid to not just be as honest as possible about something like that, but I think he honestly did it in a well-meaning way, despite how stupid it is.

This dude sums it up perfectly straight after that part of the movie.

I also thought Tim Medvitz had like, the most sensible reaction to the news, but I haven't seen any of the other stuff with him in it.

Yeah, the problem is their client base is people who use lots of money to get what they want, and are firmly of the belief that the money can overcome all other obstacles because that's how their life usually works. They've earned it and safety rules aren't gonna stand in their way *because* they've earned it.