Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
i pressed the block button while facing the oni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That only seems to work if I'm at exactly the right distance. If I'm too close the ball hits me in the side anyway. I'm getting pretty good at being at that distance, but still, I can't just press block and everything's fine.

I actually don't think the second phase is as bad but I just can't get there with any Elixirs left so one or two hits and I'm done. I'm also horrible at dodging the thrown balls because they're always just barely slower than I expect.

I dunno, I really didn't think I was just Bad At Video Games to the core until now but this seems irrefutable evidence.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I couldn't find a way to reliably dodge his balls if I was in range of them, iframing through attacks doesn't seem to be a thing here and those balls cover 360 degrees. So I'd get one heavy attack in, then dash to the opposite side of the room. It's pretty easy that way.

Myrdraayl
Apr 13, 2011

Harrow posted:

That only seems to work if I'm at exactly the right distance. If I'm too close the ball hits me in the side anyway. I'm getting pretty good at being at that distance, but still, I can't just press block and everything's fine.

I actually don't think the second phase is as bad but I just can't get there with any Elixirs left so one or two hits and I'm done. I'm also horrible at dodging the thrown balls because they're always just barely slower than I expect.

I dunno, I really didn't think I was just Bad At Video Games to the core until now but this seems irrefutable evidence.

Here's how you deal with his spin, bait out a frontal attack roll or run behind it and do one light high stance attack and back off because if you try for 2 or do a heavy you'll usually get hit. Problem with high stance though is that once you do an attack you need to wait for your bar to do a dodge roll unless you ki pulse immediately after your attack so if you want to stay super safe just hit him once with a mid attack and back off because there is no delay for dodging for mid and low attacks. Pretty much just chip him down first phase and 2nd you can be more aggressive.

Or you cheese him by throwing bombs at him.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You should ki pulse immediately after attack. I just beat him for the third time, and a high-stance heavy attack into ki-pulse rinse and repeat makes him really easy if you don't have living weapon up (I didn't)

edit: Also I sympathize with not wanting to farm for essentials. It does suck if people are finding themselves in that position. I've never been in a situation where I was both out of repair items AND didn't have equivalent gear I could just swap to. I always keep my two best swords equipped, that way if one breaks, I can just switch to the other, but honestly, I usually end up swapping out the most broken one for a new sword before I ever have to repair them. At least until well into the second mission.

edit2: how do you enter matchmaking?

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 2, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You could always summon. i'm matchmaking on stage 1 right now

just don't be one of the hosts who gets murdered by the boss's very first attack :negative:

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 2, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finally beat him. Jesus.

Managed to get lucky with Living Weapon, popped it right at the second phase and stunlocked him down to having two hits left, then just finished him off.

Nue is going to be the death of me irl I'm guessing

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Finally beat him. Jesus.

Managed to get lucky with Living Weapon, popped it right at the second phase and stunlocked him down to having two hits left, then just finished him off.

Nue is going to be the death of me irl I'm guessing

My best advice for Nue is to select all your armor and amulets for lightning resist. It makes a big difference. His lightning bolts when from doing 1900 damage to 900 damage with ~40 lightning resist.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

nue is probably easier once you figure out what's happening. nothing as wonky as the balls the first boss throws. nue is fun to fight

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

nue is probably easier once you figure out what's happening. nothing as wonky as the balls the first boss throws. nue is fun to fight

I totally disagree. The first boss is not very difficult, has very straightforward visual cues as to what's happening, and his moves are not difficult to dodge once you know what they are. Nue is a gimmicky unintuive one-shot fest.

But I mean, that's my taste in soulsbosses too. It's not an objective judgement, just my preference in gameplay.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there another DLC to get after Mark of the Conqueror, or is that it?

I can't decide if I want to run through the second mission right now or make a new guy and spec for spears. The spears seem really good. Are they actually as good as they seem?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

Is there another DLC to get after Mark of the Conqueror, or is that it?

I can't decide if I want to run through the second mission right now or make a new guy and spec for spears. The spears seem really good. Are they actually as good as they seem?

nah just the one dlc

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i had the hardest time with spears. i hate the flippy flourish they do in high stance when you reset

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Harrow posted:

Spears are pretty drat good and it has a move in mid stance that forces an enemy to show their back to you on demand. It also has a sweep that knocks enemies down but the input is a bit annoying to do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really love that they show you the enemy's Ki meter. That's really vital given how important it is to manage your own and attack when your enemies are vulnerable. That alone makes fighting the human enemies an absolute joy in this.

Marogareh posted:

Spears are pretty drat good and it has a move in mid stance that forces an enemy to show their back to you on demand. It also has a sweep that knocks enemies down but the input is a bit annoying to do.

Can you have multiple saves? Because now I definitely want to make a spear dude.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

yes. there's no indicator which is which aside from level and played time though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This person is good at Nioh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPmUPfN33a8

I want to be this good at stance-switching and ki pulse.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Decided to look into this game after hearing about DSP, it's pretty good!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Yeah, in surprised they don't use high stance more though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah, in surprised they don't use high stance more though.

Yeah, high stance is my favorite, especially with katanas. Spear low stance is nuts, though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

using low stance is the only time i've ever had durability problems because it takes like 10 times as many hits to kill anything haha

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I posted a new video. It's just a continuation from my last one. It goes until the last shrine of the first area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6atrqfoqAtU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Th3 game demo reminded me a lot of Onimusha cause it has japanese dudes fighting japanese demons, I'm going to buy it on nostalgia alone.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i ran out of ochoko right at nue on my current run and none of the revs are dropping them, i killed so many. can i get them as offering gifts?

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
After looking at the weapons, I find it kinda interesting that Strength and Skill are kinda... underutilized, except for axes. Spears and Katana both benefit majorly from other stats (Heart for katana, Body for spears). I do like how they kinda try to compensate for it by making Strength and Skill give more Samurai skill points, though. And by making Skill give a far greater boost to Ki Pulse than Strength, since Skill isn't the primary scaling stat for anything.

I also like how it emphasizes the strengths of the weapon types. Katana, by benefiting primarily from the Ki boosting stat, and from their skills, excel at efficient Ki management and being able to throw out lots of attacks. Quite effective, since they're also the fastest weapon type, and with Skill being their secondary stat means you'll have potent Ki Pulses as well. Although this is somewhat balanced by katana also having hands down the lowest durability of all the weapons, so their rapid, fast attacks kinda works against them as well. Spears, meanwhile, emphasize their defensive nature. The high Body scaling means you'll have lots more HP, plus spears tend to have the highest Parry ratings and their length lets you play zoning games with the enemy to attack with greater safety. The stats for axes, meanwhile, emphasize their overwhelming offense. Highest break rating in the game, and having secondary and tertiary scaling in Body and Stamina means you'll have tons of HP and the ability to wear heavier armor (with Strength providing minor assistance on that front as well). Axes are horribly inefficient with Ki, but they make up for it by massive damage and their stats ensuring great defense if you do get hit while recovering or attacking.

So yeah, the devs did a great job at ensuring that the stat scaling for your weapons greatly complements and emphasizes the style and strengths of the weapon types.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Harrow posted:

He's actually exceptionally bad at ki pulsing. Dodging after an attack in low stance is like the super lovely ki pulse. If he delayed his dodge by another half second he would return like quadruple the stamina. He's bascially just spamming dodge with looks flashy but is super easy. If you want to play like this guy just go low stance 99% of the time and press x after every attack.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Real hurthling! posted:

i ran out of ochoko right at nue on my current run and none of the revs are dropping them, i killed so many. can i get them as offering gifts?

I haven't tried being a phantom much since I wasn't getting summoned earlier, but it sounds like if you help somebody as a phantom you'll get one. Which was how souls worked too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

I haven't tried being a phantom much since I wasn't getting summoned earlier, but it sounds like if you help somebody as a phantom you'll get one. Which was how souls worked too.

Cant mid level though. You join from the level select.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

That's terrible. That's easily the worst design decision in the game. Maybe it's only for the alpha.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Belzac posted:

He's actually exceptionally bad at ki pulsing. Dodging after an attack in low stance is like the super lovely ki pulse. If he delayed his dodge by another half second he would return like quadruple the stamina. He's bascially just spamming dodge with looks flashy but is super easy. If you want to play like this guy just go low stance 99% of the time and press x after every attack.

Do you get more ki back for switching stances during a ki pulse, or am I just imagining things from when I was playing around with it? Maybe changing stances just forced me to time my ki pulse better and it seemed like I got more back for switching when it was actually just better timing.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 2, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
You're imagining it. It's just the timing. Probably because you took a second to think about what stance you wanted saved you from pressing it too early.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Isn't there a katana skill that explicitly says it gives you ki back for stance switching

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Real hurthling! posted:

Agh that seriously sucks, that's an awkward consequence of how they rigged that up. They need to change that.

Harrow posted:

Do you get more ki back for switching stances during a ki pulse, or am I just imagining things from when I was playing around with it? Maybe changing stances just forced me to time my ki pulse better and it seemed like I got more back for switching when it was actually just better timing.

I feel like I remember reading some kind of bonus on stance switching, not sure if it was a samurai skill or spirit or what, or maybe I'm crazy...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yes. There is a katana skill that give you a bonus when you switch stances during your Ki Pulse. I'm not very good at it, but it's amazing because you can actually get a net gain in Ki and just keep killing poo poo forever. This game is really really cool and I'm sad that I don't have time to explore the mechanics more before the demo ends.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I'm completely sold on Nioh. It's rougher than a Souls game but it is so goddamn fun to play that I don't care.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Turning on "game" instead of "movie" mode made such a huge difference in my enjoyment of this demo. I didn't notice the resolution changes on my TV nearly as much as I noticed the frame drops when it tried to maintain a steady 1080p.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also you can change the camera from "action" to "classic" and then it won't swing in dramatically when you do grapples and parries.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing that strikes me about the demo is that the Souls-style "level up your stats with Amrita" part feels kind of unnecessary.

You're probably placing your levels so that you specialize in one weapon type over the others. Body + Strength for spears, Heart + Skill for katanas, etc. Maybe splash some Strength or Skill for weapon or armor requirements. But you're also specializing by spending skill points in skill trees, and sometimes those give you new, active things you can do and sometimes they give you little passive boosts that are similar to what your stats do. I think the skill tree is the more interesting of the two, to the point that I'm not sure what the stat-by-stat leveling is really doing there. (Okay, I also get that leveling your stats gives you skill points and how many and what kind you get depends on what stat, but that also seems like it's the middleman when you could just buy skills directly with Amrita.)

Maybe in the full game, late-game equipment will have really high Strength and Skill requirements and the point is that you have to balance out meeting the requirements for equipment while having the stats to scale your chosen weapon type and enough Life and Ki? I dunno. I think I'd rather just have the skill trees and tie Life and Ki upgrades to skills.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

One thing that strikes me about the demo is that the Souls-style "level up your stats with Amrita" part feels kind of unnecessary.

You're probably placing your levels so that you specialize in one weapon type over the others. Body + Strength for spears, Heart + Skill for katanas, etc. Maybe splash some Strength or Skill for weapon or armor requirements. But you're also specializing by spending skill points in skill trees, and sometimes those give you new, active things you can do and sometimes they give you little passive boosts that are similar to what your stats do. I think the skill tree is the more interesting of the two, to the point that I'm not sure what the stat-by-stat leveling is really doing there. (Okay, I also get that leveling your stats gives you skill points and how many and what kind you get depends on what stat, but that also seems like it's the middleman when you could just buy skills directly with Amrita.)

Maybe in the full game, late-game equipment will have really high Strength and Skill requirements and the point is that you have to balance out meeting the requirements for equipment while having the stats to scale your chosen weapon type and enough Life and Ki? I dunno. I think I'd rather just have the skill trees and tie Life and Ki upgrades to skills.

What always trips me up is how the level up and learn skills trees are completely separate. I often forget to go get new skills after levelling up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

there are too many redundant stats