Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

smuh posted:

got Mad Max for ps4 a while back for cheap, decided to try it out today and found out the controls were apparently designed by someone who had never played a videogame in their life??? Now that may sound like an exaggaration but let me tell you this: shoot is mapped to the O button by default. The O button. What in the gently caress.

Granted, you CAN change it to "alternative controls", so shoot moves to r1. Uh, but wait, isn't the usual shoot button for literally every other ps4 game the loving trigger, r2? It sure is. It sure as hell is, god damnit. I can not get over this.

Its not a shooting game. There is a gun, and you can shoot it, but its a brawler and the sawn-off is your special move essentially. Thats why it only holds 2 shots and you can carry gently caress all ammo to start with. If you were trying to run and gun/cover shoot then circle is a dreadful button for shooting, but as a "gently caress this dude in particular" button it works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah you're right, seems like I jumped the gun there a bit. Jump at l2 still weirds me out but that's something easier to get over. Man, I was sure I was going to be poppin fools left and right though, guess that teaches me to play games for more than five minutes before throwing a tantrum

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

To be fair, the tutorial mission does a bad job of conveying that too if I remember right, the first guy you kill it tells you to walk up behind him, aim and shoot him in the back. Kind of gives the impression you'll be doing that much more often than you actually will. In the end I think I used the shotgun for either ending fights with dudes I couldnt be bothered fighting and killing war drummers. So the only time you need to aim really is to take out a war drummer before clearing the regular warboys.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This is a dumb nitpick about a relatively old game, but when you're choosing between paths in Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call's Quest Medleys, the font makes "VII" and "VIII" almost indistinguishable. This is an issue when which game the next song is from is all you have to go off and one of the ones from FF8 is arguably the most difficult in the game (and so maybe you'd like to avoid it if you didn't think the next song was from FF7 instead).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that's kind of annoying about Far Cry Primal is that the game has multiple weapon types, club, bow and spear but I'm not sure why you would anything but the spear, which is really overpowered.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if they just renamed them or not, but it's pissing me off that each campaign in Starcraft 2 removes a previously-existing game speed. Wings of Liberty's slowest speed was Slowest. Heart of the Swarm removed Slowest, with the slowest game speed only be Slower. Now I'm playing Legacy Of The Void for the first time, and it seems like the slowest speed is Normal.

I'm not a Korean, nor am I munching adderal 24/7, Blizzard.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

smuh posted:

Yeah you're right, seems like I jumped the gun there a bit. Jump at l2 still weirds me out but that's something easier to get over. Man, I was sure I was going to be poppin fools left and right though, guess that teaches me to play games for more than five minutes before throwing a tantrum

The on-foot stuff is Arkham-style combat for better or worse.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
When I got super bored/tired of the game thanks to all the padding I finally just used a cheat program to give myself infinite ammo and it was so sweet being able to just BLAM BLAM BLAM your way through fights that would otherwise last like five minutes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if they just renamed them or not, but it's pissing me off that each campaign in Starcraft 2 removes a previously-existing game speed. Wings of Liberty's slowest speed was Slowest. Heart of the Swarm removed Slowest, with the slowest game speed only be Slower. Now I'm playing Legacy Of The Void for the first time, and it seems like the slowest speed is Normal.

I'm not a Korean, nor am I munching adderal 24/7, Blizzard.

:gitgud:

But no seriously, the easy difficulty option is right there if the game is stressing you out. You don't have to play anywhere remotely near optimally at the lower difficulties. I'm not actually sure either if they have removed them but it wouldn't surprise me if it's true seeing how the campaign in general seems to have been designed to feel hectic. You have more action abilities, tighter bonus objectives and all-around shorter maps in general than in the campaigns of the two previous titles.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Xoidanor posted:

:gitgud:

But no seriously, the easy difficulty option is right there if the game is stressing you out. You don't have to play anywhere remotely near optimally at the lower difficulties.

It's not about stress as much as wanting to play the game without it being ridiculously, pointlessly fast. I'm already going to win (I'll always have saves before my army rolls out, before it attacks a base, after a few minutes since saving), it's just a stupid design decision.

I guess it's prolly trying to entice people to play the multi-player or something. (:lol:)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The side missions and Batmobile access to different areas in Arkham Knight take way too long to unlock. I've got a light-hearted Riddler quest I'd like to progress but it's on Freedom Island or whatever, and I can't do it until I've gotten to the point in the main quest where there's a sudden and devastating plot twist out of nowhere which makes it seen even less believable that Batman is taking time out from saving Gotham to do a Riddler race. Also I've heard you have to 100% the game to get the best ending, which means tracking down a hundred bullion tedious little green trophies and finding the one unique art asset in an area to "solve the riddle". Bluuuurgh. The second best ending had better be decent at least.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I guess it's prolly trying to entice people to play the multi-player or something. (:lol:)

Who knows with Blizzard. It's always one step forward and then two steps backwards when it comes to their game design lately.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Butt Ox posted:

This would fit better in an 'Irrationally irritating video game moments' thread, but since that doesn't exist I'm posting here.

They included a weapon in Dark Souls 3 that is a large, red-hot metal rod with a symbol at the end of it. You know, like some kind of iron you would brand cattle with. This, right here:

What is the name of this weapon? The loving SOLDERING IRON.

Yeah, the translation team for these games have always been awful.

I've never played Demon Souls, but for DS1,2,3 and Bloodborne eye color has been labelled pupil color. It's the drat iris, not the pupil, you dinks.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's one in Bloodborne called the Vacuous Spider or something, which seems like a poor translation but in Japanese it was called the Stupid Spider

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

2house2fly posted:

There's one in Bloodborne called the Vacuous Spider or something, which seems like a poor translation but in Japanese it was called the Stupid Spider

That's pretty much what Vacuous means, but calling it "Rom the Stupid Spider" would seem kind of ill fitting.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

2house2fly posted:

I think the current prevailing theory is that Rom was a student at Byrgenwerth who became Kin after making contact with the Great Ones. They gave her eyes to see the truth but it was too much and burned out her brain. That's why she's called the Vacuous Spider.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There is (or was) a monster in D&D that was supposed to be a lemur (a kind of monkey) but was spelled wrong so it was turned into a slime monster, or something.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

There is (or was) a monster in D&D that was supposed to be a lemur (a kind of monkey) but was spelled wrong so it was turned into a slime monster, or something.

you might be thinking of a magic card that was named 'lemure' which was some kind of spirit in greek myth but the artist thought it was referring to the furry animal so they drew a deadly lemur instead

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Brother Entropy posted:

you might be thinking of a magic card that was named 'lemure' which was some kind of spirit in greek myth but the artist thought it was referring to the furry animal so they drew a deadly lemur instead

I remember that card and you're prolly right, I thought it was a similar but distinct gently caress up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

I think the current prevailing theory is that Rom was a student at Byrgenwerth who became Kin after making contact with the Great Ones. They gave her eyes to see the truth but it was too much and burned out her brain. That's why she's called the Vacuous Spider.

It might also be because she was able to conceal eldritch knowledge from the School of Mensis, like the document in the church says. Not only is she mindless, she saps the insight from everyone else in the Dream.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Brother Entropy posted:

The best part is, Richard Thomas obviously looked up the word "hyalopterous" (it means it has wings like an insect) but thought "I know what a lemur is!" and just went with it. :haw:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dark souls 3 queues inputs for an absurdly long time. There are so many times where I've tapped roll twice almost at the same time, and had a second roll trigger at the end of the first because it kept the input queued for that long. Other times swings have come out a good second after I pressed attack more than once. This leads to running out stamina, getting hit or killed because you didn't do the thing you wanted, etc. Most recently this stopped me from riposting an invader because I instinctively assumed the parry wouldn't work and tapped dodge at the same time I parried, even though it takes about 3/4 of a second to recover from a parry. For christ's sake, if I still want to roll at the end of that time, I will press roll again.

In terms of control scheme, this is the fifth time from software has made the exact same game. How did they manage to make the controls worse?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Digirat posted:

Dark souls 3 queues inputs for an absurdly long time.

Yeah, I found it really noticeable the time some knight knocked me to the ground, then I stood up and did the swing that had got queued before I went down. It's really dumb.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Let me try my Dark Souls Defense Brigade impersonation:

Have you tried getting good and predicting your moves in advance? Maybe if you got good you would be able to predict entire battles and queue up your actions on the first strike.

I don't like the token caps and whatnot in FF14, sometimes you want to take a few days off and then when you get back you get to "enjoy" spamming dungeons 5, 6, 10 times in a row to hit your cap for the week or be stuck behind until the next token currency is released.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Leal posted:

Have you tried getting good and predicting your moves in advance? Maybe if you got good you would be able to predict entire battles and queue up your actions on the first strike.

Even if one was gud enough to do it in theory, it still couldn't be done reliably because whether or not you stagger an enemy is controlled by a nondeterministic function based on atmospheric noise, while whether or not you get staggered has been simplified to a good and simple "yes"

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Digirat posted:

Dark souls 3 queues inputs for an absurdly long time. There are so many times where I've tapped roll twice almost at the same time, and had a second roll trigger at the end of the first because it kept the input queued for that long. Other times swings have come out a good second after I pressed attack more than once. This leads to running out stamina, getting hit or killed because you didn't do the thing you wanted, etc. Most recently this stopped me from riposting an invader because I instinctively assumed the parry wouldn't work and tapped dodge at the same time I parried, even though it takes about 3/4 of a second to recover from a parry. For christ's sake, if I still want to roll at the end of that time, I will press roll again.

In terms of control scheme, this is the fifth time from software has made the exact same game. How did they manage to make the controls worse?
I fully agree that this is bullshit. I mostly notice it with plunging attacks, because in DS2 those are finicky pieces of poo poo where I learned to mash the button for them while in the air to have any hopes of them actually triggering during my flight, so I do that in DS3, too. But what happens is that I land on the enemy, sword-first, that's good, enemy is flattened, my character gets up from his crouch, dusts himself off, tells himself good job for a safe landing, and then gleefully slashes the air above the prone enemy like a loving idiot because I pushed R1 a bunch half a minute ago. I have zero idea how this is supposed to make the skill ceiling higher or whatever the gently caress they were trying to accomplish. It wasn't nearly as bad in DS1, and of course completely absent in DS2.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My biggest gripe with DS3 is both how worthless armor is and how bosses deal % based damage, so even if you have like 50 vit, it doesn't matter, you're still dying in like 3 or 4 hits when you're close to the end.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Alteisen posted:

My biggest gripe with DS3 is both how worthless armor is and how bosses deal % based damage, so even if you have like 50 vit, it doesn't matter, you're still dying in like 3 or 4 hits when you're close to the end.
Wait, is that confirmed? So bosses always do, say, 20% damage with a certain attack? Seems like that would make armor and vigor completely useless for boss fights.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alteisen posted:

You're wearing something for every slot right? Because going without even a helmet or gloves leaves you extremely vulnerable now. I don't really know the specifics of how it works though. All I know is that you're much better off wearing something in each slot.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Digirat posted:

Dark souls 3 queues inputs for an absurdly long time.

While we're complaining about this, it doesn't seem to queue weapon switches. I'll fireball some guy, and he's not dead and getting close so I want to switch to my shield. But the switch decides not to queue so when I hold L1 I find I'm starting the fireball launch animation instead of blocking.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

smuh posted:

Wait, is that confirmed? So bosses always do, say, 20% damage with a certain attack? Seems like that would make armor and vigor completely useless for boss fights.

Yep, most of the close to end game bosses will deal % damage and kill you in a few hits regardless of your health reserves.

You can mitigate some of it with some rings but at most its like an extra hit.

quote:

You're wearing something for every slot right? Because going without even a helmet or gloves leaves you extremely vulnerable now. I don't really know the specifics of how it works though. All I know is that you're much better off wearing something in each slot.

Yea that's my point, on one end it means you can wear anything fashion souls and all that, on the other end its like, what's point the point of having equip load and all that other poo poo when wearing cloth armor will mitigate damage the same as wearing full havel's, hell full havel's gives you the highest poise in the game and a basic bitch mook with a broken sword in the first area can stun you, its dumb, yes Poise was a REALLY stupid and broken mechanic but this was not the fix for it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Yep, most of the close to end game bosses will deal % damage and kill you in a few hits regardless of your health reserves.

:wtc: there are no words

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Dark Souls, one thing that's been super annoying throughout the entire series and various side games is how they handle NPCs. It's all very fiddly and if you don't do things in a specific way that you have no way of knowing about you can miss out on items and events. Like in Bloodborne I completely missed out on a character because I didn't go into a side area in the starting zone and if you progress too far the character despawns from there and never shows up again.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I would expand that to any game that requires you to have a walkthrough open at all times. They used to do this poo poo to sell strategy guides and it wasn't fun back then now there's just no excuse and they need to cut this poo poo out already.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Alteisen posted:

RareAcumen posted:

this reminds me, I wanted to amend my previous discussion in that the first area of dark souls 3 is incredibly hard, if you don't choose the knight. I started with cleric and that class's sheild might as well be tossed in the trash the moment you start the game. meanwhile the knight has a 100% phsyical block sheild that every startng enemy just gets stunned upon trying to hit. Hell, you can farm the priest's sacred chime before the first point, put points in faith,and be a cleric with some better equipment, and even get the cleric's clothing later if you want to wear it. Infact, the cleric class doesn't even start with the full cleric armor set,they are missing the hat and have to loot a 2nd copy of the set for it like everyone else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leal posted:

I don't like the token caps and whatnot in FF14, sometimes you want to take a few days off and then when you get back you get to "enjoy" spamming dungeons 5, 6, 10 times in a row to hit your cap for the week or be stuck behind until the next token currency is released.

Having no cap makes that worse, not better.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of DS3, and I'm aware that some people probably consider this a feature rather than a failing, but the way how some bosses don't have a bonfire anywhere near them is pretty drat annoying. I'm pretty new to the series so most bosses take me several tries, and the experience is not really improved by having to start each new attempt by having to trudge five minutes along an already too familiar path and killing the same dozen trash enemies along the way every time.

AFistfulOfBitcoins
Feb 11, 2014
You can (and should) just run past those enemies. Most boss runs should take maybe 30 seconds from bonfire to fog door if you just ignore everything on the way there and have the appropriate shortcuts open. I only 'got' Dark Souls once I realised that it's about making your life easier rather than approaching everything like an honourable warrior

Gitro
May 29, 2013
But really you should just be able to spawn in front of the drat boss after enough tries. I don't mind learning the run back to the boss and doing it a few times, but it gets really tedious if I'm having a tough time to do the same rote jog five or ten times in a row. I haven't played 3, but in 2 Aava had about a minute of running to get back to her. There were no enemies, no pitfalls, literally nothing to challenge or threaten you on the way back to the fog door, then you have to run all the way to the end of her arena to actually start the fight. It's cool and atmospheric once, and then it's just a waste of time. It's not the worst, but it's pretty much the epitome of that kind of time-wasting design.

Thank gently caress I managed to kill Vestaldt the first time through, because having to clear those loving bell ringers again would have been awful. Every part of the undead crypt is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Gitro posted:

But really you should just be able to spawn in front of the drat boss after enough tries. I don't mind learning the run back to the boss and doing it a few times, but it gets really tedious if I'm having a tough time to do the same rote jog five or ten times in a row. I haven't played 3, but in 2 Aava had about a minute of running to get back to her. There were no enemies, no pitfalls, literally nothing to challenge or threaten you on the way back to the fog door, then you have to run all the way to the end of her arena to actually start the fight. It's cool and atmospheric once, and then it's just a waste of time. It's not the worst, but it's pretty much the epitome of that kind of time-wasting design.

Thank gently caress I managed to kill Vestaldt the first time through, because having to clear those loving bell ringers again would have been awful. Every part of the undead crypt is the worst.

Those jailers dragged down the game for me. I kept getting my health drained whenever I was trying to fight them so badly that I thought I was missing something obvious. I look them up online and nope, they drain your health if they've got line of sight, gently caress you.

Souls games are usually pretty fair and that stood out really badly to me.