Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wait, hold on...

There are two movies about people going on killing sprees because of American Idol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
That Aeon Flux story was fantastic too
Goddamn this was the best mailbag ever. Kenny G, The GameMaster, that guy who called his future wife a loving c word, what characters exist out there.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I figured out where the Aeon Flux story was headed around the point when he left to apologize and said she was hot, but god it just kept getting better. And then Andrew's loving dying laughing from what sounded like halfway across the room was just the cherry on top.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Calaveron posted:

That Aeon Flux story was fantastic too
Goddamn this was the best mailbag ever. Kenny G, The GameMaster, that guy who called his future wife a loving c word, what characters exist out there.

Personally I find the threat to kill her over her baby a better relationship foundation than just calling her a oval office. I hope to find love that true one day.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

#gatordone

Violator
May 15, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

That, and their bizarre insistence that no one calls him Batman, when Laurence Fishburne not only calls him that in the movie, but it even made the trailer, really soured me on their whole BvS episode. I could have done without hearing about it again. And yeah, this guy's email was dumb as poo poo. Doesn't change the fact that their hatred for this movie, seemingly more so than any other lovely movie they've ever reviewed, is grating.

This is the first time I've ever been frustrated by their opinions because a lot of their critiques didn't make any sense or were factually incorrect (no one saying the word Batman in the movie, there being no sunlight shown when Superman regenerates in space, etc). Each of them obviously have a wide and in-depth knowledge of film, so I usually really enjoy their discussions and breakdowns even on movies I enjoy but they don't. But they really seemed to go into this one looking to hate it.

I know the show is literally titled We Hate Movies, but I enjoy the episodes where they review current movies (like the Spectre episode) because they tone down the jokes and they're pretty good at analyzing the movie and its themes. But with stuff like Steve complaining that Batman has magic levitating powers during his boyhood dream sequence, it seems like they were being willfully ignorant about certain things. Andrew did correct him, but the dream sequences were core to the film in showing Batman's mental breakdown so I was disappointed that he apparently missed the point.

I also don't understand why showing the parademons and not explaining their background is such a huge problem. From a layman's perspective the idea is "Batman is scared of and hates Superman so much that he's having dreams Superman will use his powers to take over the world with an alien army." I mean, Bruce Wayne is literally building kryptonite weapons to kill Superman and other potential aliens. For comic fans they'll know bigger things are coming but as far as the non-comic fan is concerned, the parademons are just nightmare monsters that show how mentally wrecked Bruce is. "If there's one alien there's probably more, we gotta kill 'em all!" Why do they need a background and introduction?

Oh well, this is probably too much BvS talk and I deserve a big frosty mug of dick beer for bringing it up again.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://gitrdonefoundation.org/

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
You ever give so much to charity your back cracks?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

Nothing is going to top Yeah It's That Bad's weeks-long odyssey of being strung along by emails from a guy claiming to have gotten shot by a gangbanger at a movie theater and becoming a local hero who was writing everything from his hospital bed.

YITB died too young. Thanks, Internet creeps.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bobservo posted:

Thanks for bumming me out.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I want John Titor to come back as a WHM letter writer.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

bobservo posted:

Thanks to them, in my mind's eye I'm always moving and grooving at a trillion miles per nanosecond.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Let us all remember the Beefometer and Dennis Quaid being a weak, weak man

edit: And every gun in every movie being a TAURUS JUDGE

The Duke fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 2, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Okay so my suspect list is MisterBibs and thrawn.

Saw 100 new posts to this thread, and figured that it was response to the mailbag. I didn't listen to either their take or the resulting mailbag, so you're wrong.

Hell, this came up when they were in town, randos and I were talking with Jupin about any episodes we've never watched, and I told him that the only two episodes or theirs I've not listened to was their GL episode and their BvS, and explained to his face that I didn't need to hear an hour of "Not My Superman" and getting mad at a successful tentpole movie. He didn't seem all "you have to hate this movie" when we briefly talked about it and other comic movies.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 2, 2016

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
I'm not sure what standard you're using to call GL a successful tentpole movie...

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Green Bean posted:

I'm not sure what standard you're using to call GL a successful tentpole movie...

No, I explained that I couldn't listen to that one because I really wanted that to be better than it was, and it's bright points (design) was wasted, and it's still a :smith: spot for me.

BTW, the guys are super approachable after live shows. They went up to people to thank even for showing up, which of awesome cuz I'm far too shy to walk up to closest-thing-to-celebrities I've been around.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Green Bean posted:

By failing it allowed Reynolds to make the super successful Deadpool movie. If he was still tied up in whatever horrible DC Universe that arose from that GL then he'd never have been able to do it.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
What's the best way to listen to old episodes? I've listened to Free Enterprise and MIB2 on the Internet Archive site but there's gotta be a better way.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

People get super defensive about that awful BvS movie.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

No, I explained that I couldn't listen to that one because I really wanted that to be better than it was, and it's bright points (design) was wasted, and it's still a :smith: spot for me.

Was he just too polite to tell you that your reasoning really applies to both movies?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Count Chocula posted:

What's the best way to listen to old episodes? I've listened to Free Enterprise and MIB2 on the Internet Archive site but there's gotta be a better way.

whmpodcast.com

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait, hold on...

There are two movies about people going on killing sprees because of American Idol?

All movie/tv stuff related to american idol/X Factor has to bear in mind charlie brooker: https://vimeo.com/56085719

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Yeah. I really don't know why people are willing to die on this hill.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I was loving DYING by the end of that.

That Aeon Flux email was goddamned incredible. :stare:

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 2, 2016

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if Kenny G also sent in one of the "bodily function" letters before.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

PoPcornTG posted:

Honestly normally I'd agree but I can kind of see it here. A lot of people decided ahead of time that BvS was poo poo for whatever reason (usually "gently caress Zack Snyder," "NOT MY SUPERMAN/BATMAN," or "not like marvel don't care") and nothing in or about the actual movie would ever change their minds. Meanwhile the movie came out and was mostly just OK with a few bumbling missteps, and it's hard to see where the heated anger and vitriol some people have for it could possibly come from. Then add in how insanely tribalistic some nerds get, and the Internet's increasing inability to acknowledge that there is plenty of space between "HOLY poo poo BEST EVER" and "LOOK AT THIS loving TRASH FIRE," and whooo boy do you have a house party. Some people get loving insanely hyperbolic in their hate, and in response, fanboys get insanely hyperbolic in their support and ultimately everyone's just screaming and no-one even remembers there was even an actual movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PoPcornTG posted:

They also say "it's okay to like a film."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just got around to listening to the mailbag; I am legit amazed that the person who wrote the last email is still alive.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Count Chocula posted:

They have a website, with all their old episodes, save for the very first one: http://www.whmpodcast.com/p/episodes.html

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The amount of people who post stuff like that in here before googling the show's name is mind-boggling to me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

e X posted:

They have a website, with all their old episodes, save for the very first one: http://www.whmpodcast.com/p/episodes.html

They redid Wired, for what it's worth.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
And the original Wired still exists, I have it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

And the original Wired still exists, I have it.
Have you offered to send it to the guys? I'd imagine they'd like it just for the sake of completeness.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Have you offered to send it to the guys? I'd imagine they'd like it just for the sake of completeness.

I am pretty sure on wired they mentioned that they know it still exists but its awful and don't go searching for it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm pretty sure when they said it was lost, they meant "lost".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ah, gotcha. I suppose that makes sense; I've seen other people who have a similar reaction to their early works.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Their redo of it is really fuckin funny.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I haven't seen Wired but it sounds like a hit piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I haven't seen Wired but it sounds like a hit piece

It one hundred percent is, it would be hilarious if it weren't targeting a beloved comedy icon.