Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

astr0man posted:

You would have access to the catalogue associated with your iTunes account country (Australia). If you change the country associated with your iTunes account later (maybe to get some Indonesia iTunes store specific app) it will automatically cancel any active iTunes store subscriptions (for apps or apple music).

Thanks! At this stage we aren't planning on staying in any particular country for more than a few weeks, so it's good to hear it'll just work as expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Then find something else? Match is $25/yr, and I'm pretty sure you have a 30-day refund policy.

I'm not too impressed with Apple Music either, but Match has been rock solid for me for years.
Same here. I've had Match essentially since it started. It was a bit buggy at first (mostly actually matching songs correctly), but after the first couple of months it's been great. I don't think it counts iOS play counts along with iTunes play counts given the numbers when I've checked, but I rarely look at that info. I usually have new songs I've added on one computer show up within 5 minutes of an upload completing (if it doesn't match) on iOS and my other Macs. Now that the count is 100k it's heaven.

There's no better value or even experience that I've found (I've tried to find alternatives for people at work without iOS devices).

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I've got a question regarding Apple Music on an iPhone, but it crosses over into iTunes territory, so I figured this would probably be the best place to put it.

So I recently started using Apple Music, I love it, and I've saved a bunch of songs for offline use. I like setting up playlists for these new songs - I have a "new arrivals" smart playlist I used to use.

However, when I plug my phone into my Mac, it's like those songs I downloaded for offline use are in their own little pocket dimension - there's no way to interact with them at all in iTunes at all. So I can't make a smart playlist, or any playlists for them on the computer at all. Only my fully-purchased music is there.

Is there any way to show/work with those files? I can make playlists adding songs one by one on my iPhone, but that's really a drag.

EDIT: Turning on "iCloud Music Library" on my Mac, then syncing to my phone seemed to be a sort of work-around. Apple Music songs I manipulate on the Mac (deleting, etc.) are instantly mirrored on my iPhone...

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 17, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

RusteJuxx posted:

Same here. I've had Match essentially since it started. It was a bit buggy at first (mostly actually matching songs correctly), but after the first couple of months it's been great. I don't think it counts iOS play counts along with iTunes play counts given the numbers when I've checked, but I rarely look at that info. I usually have new songs I've added on one computer show up within 5 minutes of an upload completing (if it doesn't match) on iOS and my other Macs. Now that the count is 100k it's heaven.

There's no better value or even experience that I've found (I've tried to find alternatives for people at work without iOS devices).

What's wrong with Google Music on Android? They have a desktop music application that will scan and match/upload all of your music for free (unto like 75k tracks, I think) and then you can play them via the Music app on the phone, streaming or download. Back when my wife used android, I ran that in the background to capture all of the music that we bought on the iTunes store.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

quote:

What's wrong with Google Music on Android?
In short, the desktop part of it. The mobile version I find ok, but obviously if you have an iphone/ipad you lose some integration stuff using Google Play Music as your main library.

Not sure about Windows, but with OS X using Google Play Music to play music sucks. Hard. I mean, I like to think I'm not a platform/company warrior at all, but their browser based "solution" is really, really bad. I would guess that if it's also browser-based in Windows, it's the same thing.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

In short, the desktop part of it. The mobile version I find ok, but obviously if you have an iphone/ipad you lose some integration stuff using Google Play Music as your main library.

Not sure about Windows, but with OS X using Google Play Music to play music sucks. Hard. I mean, I like to think I'm not a platform/company warrior at all, but their browser based "solution" is really, really bad. I would guess that if it's also browser-based in Windows, it's the same thing.

Thats why you download the app to sync your library from iTunes. ITunes (or whatever) can stay your main player on the desktop and the local (not the web player) Google music manager syncs that library back to their cloud.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

How do I sort a smart playlist by song title, artist, etc.?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Arsten posted:

Thats why you download the app to sync your library from iTunes. ITunes (or whatever) can stay your main player on the desktop and the local (not the web player) Google music manager syncs that library back to their cloud.
I honestly have no idea, does Google Music Manager sync play counts over time, and update that field in your iTunes library? Because this whole sub-thread started with

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the best way to have my same iTunes library on multiple computers and have iTunes keep track of the correct playcounts and stars/likes etc?

Weedle posted:

How do I sort a smart playlist by song title, artist, etc.?
This is OS X, but if you select the playlist look in the upper right corner and it probably says "Playlist v". Click that dropdown and choose "Songs", then just click on a column header to sort.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I honestly have no idea, does Google Music Manager sync play counts over time, and update that field in your iTunes library? Because this whole sub-thread started with

I was responding to this:

RusteJuxx posted:

Sorry.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ah, yeah, we were kind of talking past each other. No sweat.

Unrelated, I wonder if anyone's ever seen this. Not sure if it's an iTunes issue or an OS X issue.

Often if I listen to Beats One, then pause it for a few hours/overnight, I can't get it to play again unless I start playing a song from my library, then switch back to Beats One. Anyone seen anything similar?

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

Arsten posted:

I was responding to this:

Sorry.
It's fine if you don't have iOS. I just meant that I've tried quite a few alternatives due to looking to help non-iOS users and do not believe any of them are as good as Match.

The Google Music app is terrible on OS X and Windows. It's even more barebones than the Google Drive app. Say if you have an issue uploading something the app might just ignore it forever or you might have to re-install after clearing local data (fine for someone in IT, but not an average user). You have essentially zero control. Match and Google Music were on par when things started years ago, but Apple has evolved and Google is still relatively the same. Even Amazon's app has improved so much over the years - it's head and shoulders better than Google's product.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

RusteJuxx posted:

It's fine if you don't have iOS. I just meant that I've tried quite a few alternatives due to looking to help non-iOS users and do not believe any of them are as good as Match.

The Google Music app is terrible on OS X and Windows. It's even more barebones than the Google Drive app. Say if you have an issue uploading something the app might just ignore it forever or you might have to re-install after clearing local data (fine for someone in IT, but not an average user). You have essentially zero control. Match and Google Music were on par when things started years ago, but Apple has evolved and Google is still relatively the same. Even Amazon's app has improved so much over the years - it's head and shoulders better than Google's product.

That's sad. I never had any problems with it using a library that had something like 30,000 items - with a lot of weird odds and ends scattered about.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I've been using iTunes Match for long enough that I no longer have the computer with the mp3 library that I started with. So if I want to add some mp3s - not bought through itunes - to my Match library, how do I do that? I've got an old hard drive with music on it that I'd forgotten about - if I just drag those files into itunes will those songs be available on all my devices?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

jackpot posted:

if I just drag those files into itunes will those songs be available on all my devices?

Yes. After you drag them in it will scan them then either match or upload them.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
You should probably make sure they're tagged correctly first, but iTunes should match new MP3s to whatever's in the store and upload the rest. You should drag them into your "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder, rather than into iTunes, unless iTunes already moves your files for you.

If you want to pre-tag, I recommend Mp3Tag. It has plugins that will let you tag to the iTMS standard, which should help improve matching.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
That's awesome, thanks.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

When I maintained an MP3 collection I used Mp3tag to do all of my tagging (and embedding of high-res artwork) before iTunes ever touched the files. Editing metadata in iTunes is still a nightmare because after over a decade they still haven't fixed the thing where it will randomly split albums up into two entries if you mass edit the album artist tags. iCloud Music Library also doesn't sync changes made to the casing of metadata (as in upper- or lower-case), if that's the kind of thing that bothers you.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When using iTunes to search an artist in Apple Music, you get a whole section of "Top Songs". Is there any way to just play all those? I feel like there should just be a play button next to "Top Songs" and having to select individual songs is kind of .. unnecessary?

Am I missing something?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

When I maintained an MP3 collection I used Mp3tag to do all of my tagging (and embedding of high-res artwork) before iTunes ever touched the files. Editing metadata in iTunes is still a nightmare because after over a decade they still haven't fixed the thing where it will randomly split albums up into two entries if you mass edit the album artist tags.

If you remove the album from the library and re-add it, it will display ok.

Also iTunes Match uses acoustic fingerprinting not tags to match, but yeah always fix your tags before running Match anyway.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
That's true, but fixing tags was my superstitious way to avoid Match turning my explicit tracks into clean ones.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah fair point. I just always make sure I have backups of anything I wash through Match.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Anyone figured out how to hide the menu-bar in the new iTunes?

I love the tweaks that have been made (yay, sidebar!) but I can't figure out a way to hide the menu bar in the latest version.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

you know im usually pretty tolerant of the itunes changes
but itunes changed and i hate it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

RME posted:

you know im usually pretty tolerant of the itunes changes
but itunes changed and i hate it

You mean you don't care for several inches of wasted blank space on one side of your window?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Sounds like people have different settings than me. So just wondering, on my (OS X) iTunes, the only immediately apparent thing that's changed is they consolidated the "My Music" and "Playlists" tabs into just "My Music", and they took the Song/Artist/Album dropdown from near the upper right corner and made it a tree in the sidebar. Something else different?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Sounds like people have different settings than me. So just wondering, on my (OS X) iTunes, the only immediately apparent thing that's changed is they consolidated the "My Music" and "Playlists" tabs into just "My Music", and they took the Song/Artist/Album dropdown from near the upper right corner and made it a tree in the sidebar. Something else different?

That's pretty much it. Instead of the album/artist/song view picker staying out of the way when you don't need it and only taking up as much space as it needs to when you do, it's now in the sidebar which takes up a ton of vertical space and, unless you have a shitload of playlists, wastes most of it. Sort order settings are stuck back in top menus and dialog boxes when they used to be easily accessible with the rest of the view options. It feels like whoever is in charge of iTunes' interface doesn't really know what they're doing and just moves stuff around at random every so often.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Thank god they brought the sidebar back. I lived my life in the Playlists view and I'm extremely glad that they cleaned up the UI and made that the default view again. Very happy with this update.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Uh is Recently Added gone????

Also how the gently caress have they still not fixed the search options being the opposite way around on iTunes and Apple Music in iOS

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Uh is Recently Added gone????

It's in the Artists/Albums/Songs section of the sidebar. If you don't see it, right-click one of the other view options and select Edit List.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh right ha. I turned that sidebar off as soon as I started up the new version.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Martytoof posted:

When using iTunes to search an artist in Apple Music, you get a whole section of "Top Songs". Is there any way to just play all those? I feel like there should just be a play button next to "Top Songs" and having to select individual songs is kind of .. unnecessary?

Am I missing something?

It works for me like I expect if I just play a song in that section. It's like a mini-playlist.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I love it when instead of redesigning the interface with a consistent theme they instead keep tweaking and adding and removing elements with no rhyme or reason. Makes it look like it's an artist's conception of what would happen if Siri got cancer.

The most profitable company in the world, and all they manage to create is this complete mess.

And I do mean I love it, because it allows me to use iTunes as a punchline to every joke about software. :allears:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Is there a way to hide the menu bar on the windows version of the new iTunes?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Gunder posted:

Is there a way to hide the menu bar on the windows version of the new iTunes?

Does Ctrl+B still work?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Weedle posted:

Does Ctrl+B still work?

Nope. Guess it wasn't in Apple's vision.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Weedle posted:

That's pretty much it. Instead of the album/artist/song view picker staying out of the way when you don't need it and only taking up as much space as it needs to when you do, it's now in the sidebar which takes up a ton of vertical space and, unless you have a shitload of playlists, wastes most of it. Sort order settings are stuck back in top menus and dialog boxes when they used to be easily accessible with the rest of the view options. It feels like whoever is in charge of iTunes' interface doesn't really know what they're doing and just moves stuff around at random every so often.

Last Chance posted:

Thank god they brought the sidebar back. I lived my life in the Playlists view and I'm extremely glad that they cleaned up the UI and made that the default view again. Very happy with this update.

I love this thread

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I wish I knew why Apple is so averse to allowing users to toggle interface settings like that. Tuck it away in an Advanced dialog somewhere if they're afraid of Joe Random freaking out over too many options. Let the user with a bunch of playlists use the sidebar and let the user who prefers to minimize empty space use the drop-down.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Weedle posted:

I wish I knew why Apple is so averse to allowing users to toggle interface settings like that. Tuck it away in an Advanced dialog somewhere if they're afraid of Joe Random freaking out over too many options. Let the user with a bunch of playlists use the sidebar and let the user who prefers to minimize empty space use the drop-down.

This is the problem. Apple don't give you enough options. It's their way or the highway.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 18, 2016

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Weedle posted:

Because We Know Better

Does this version still let you disable the iTunes store in Parental Settings? Never needed that thing around.

And, if anyone gives a crap, here's the stuff on Windows that iTunes 12.3 (the old version) installed that aren't required for every user, if you care about spare applications running in the background at all times whether you need them or not:
  • Apple Push
  • Apple Software Update
  • Bonjour
  • iTunesHelper.exe
  • Apple Mobile Device Service (required for syncing to a device)
  • iPodService
For example, if don't sync through WiFi, you have no need for Bonjour and can uninstall it.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

why have they removed my music/video/tv buttons with a drop down