Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
LOL at Erlich accidentally talking Jin Yang into squatting for another year, I saw it coming a mile away but it was still hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Mandingo posted:

Holy poo poo the comments on the blog post.
Yeah.

quote:

Robert Davis
May 1, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Can you assure your customers that the system is immune to hacking attempts by government entities such as the FBI? Just how safe will our data be? Recently Apple was hacked for the FBI by a third party, and it is now unsecured!

Hillary
May 1, 2016 at 11:40 pm

Can information on the “Box” be hidden so no one ever sees it?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I loved that the best sales people in the world were only good because they leave if the product isn't easy to sale.

Also that th jerk off motion was needed for Nucleus to figure out middle out compression.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 2, 2016

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

Deadulus posted:

Also that th jerk off motion was needed for Nucleus to figure out middle out compression.

That was the funniest part of the episode for me. Great episode, god I love this series

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Are patents and copyrights not a thing in this show? This will be the third or fourth time that someone has tried to rip off Richard but in reality even the richest and most powerful companies are strong armed by the stupidest borderline unenforceable patents. The product has been shopped around, the algorithm has been publicly disclosed if someone wanted to use it they have to pay the piper for the next 20 years. The hollowing out of Richard's platform is a much more interesting story than whether not Vince will get to make the movie this season.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The Hooli bros are TOTALLY going to have Big Head as an investor, aren't they?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dead Snoopy posted:

Oh my god, I didn't think of that. That would be hilarious

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dead Snoopy posted:

Haha holy poo poo makes too much sense. That explains why his settlement was so close (exactly so...?) to the additional funding PP got.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I like that Hooli guy had the exact same jerkoff revelation that Richard did:

https://youtu.be/-5jF5jtMM_4?t=35

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I like that Hooli guy had the exact same jerkoff revelation that Richard did:

https://youtu.be/-5jF5jtMM_4?t=35

Still makes me laugh how the show released a white paper on the famous scene:
https://www.scribd.com/doc/228831637/Optimal-Tip-to-Tip-Efficiency

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

13Pandora13 posted:

Wat the gently caress did I just witness :psyduck:

Capitalism

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

GobiasIndustries posted:

Haha, http://www.piedpiper.com has been updated for the Box and now includes the sales team profiles and a new blog post from Action Jack.

Pied Piper isn’t some bloated corporation with a pretentious mission statement about “making the world a better place.”

The next line

In this way, we hope to have a positive impact on the planet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

But, thanks to the whim of Jack and his army of salespeople—who resemble nothing so much as corn-fed date rapists escaped from a frat at some nightmarish Midwestern land-grant university

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Are landlords in California really that limited in power?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The show is obviously exaggerating for humor, but many places in California have reasonable tenant protection ordinances where landlords have to go through a formal legal process if they want to evict you. The Airbnb thing was playing off a common squatter provision where if someone occupies a place for some required length of time then they might be legally considered a tenant, even without a formal lease.

withak fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 2, 2016

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

gohmak posted:

Pied Piper isn’t some bloated corporation with a pretentious mission statement about “making the world a better place.”

The next line

In this way, we hope to have a positive impact on the planet.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

You have to wait up to 90 days before you can even begin eviction proceedings. The actual process can take up to a year of the tenant does not go willingly.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

FCKGW posted:

You have to wait up to 90 days before you can even begin eviction proceedings. The actual process can take up to a year of the tenant does not go willingly.

A 90 day notice to quit?! Wtf California. :psyduck:

Tenant protections are great and all but that's a bit much.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm glad the show is showing Airbnb being poo poo.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Xoidanor posted:

All well needed was someone that survived Enron and we would have won evil company bingo. :sigh:

Half of them also worked at Action Jack's old company.

squidgee posted:

It's Donald's fault for illegally renting out his house. And if he wasn't the Coolest Guy in Tech, he could toss the guy's stuff on the curb and contest ownership from behind changed locks, knowing that AirBNB wouldn't interfere. (They're too busy being sued by the NY Attorney General.)

---

So they're releasing a David Egger's movie about an evil tech company (The Circle). And having been on set for it, the evil is cartoonish compared to the amazingly detailed, realistic evil that Silicon does.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 2, 2016

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sometimes art mimics life, sometimes life mimics art. I sell IT services for a living and just got contacted by a recruiter for an opening. This company is almost exactly like Pied Piper, to the point where I'd wonder if someone was loving with me if they didn't have 200 employees on LinkedIn. The CEO's profile even documents how he successfully positioned his previous company to get acquired.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Sometimes art mimics life, sometimes life mimics art. I sell IT services for a living and just got contacted by a recruiter for an opening. This company is almost exactly like Pied Piper, to the point where I'd wonder if someone was loving with me if they didn't have 200 employees on LinkedIn. The CEO's profile even documents how he successfully positioned his previous company to get acquired.

I got a laugh for how the show managed to produce billboard ads for PP along the 101 highway.

Even better the ad was so vague and glossy it blended in perfectly with other startup/software ad companies along the highway.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

This is based on a real case in California where a family rented their place on AirBnB and the tenants refused to leave.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Ochowie posted:

This is based on a real case in California where a family rented their place on AirBnB and the tenants refused to leave.

Funny enough this guy was ALSO scamming with a video game kick-starter (and advertised in the Games kick-starter thread) at the same time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BexGu posted:

Funny enough this guy was ALSO scamming with a video game kick-starter (and advertised in the Games kick-starter thread) at the same time.

lol

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How many more episodes until Richard wishes he was working on mustaches after all?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

There's an easy way around Jared's situation. What you do is you don't illegally rent out your home on a loving website and I promise you will never have to worry about experiencing the plight of the poor down trodden landlords.

squidgee posted:

Jesus I never expect to see someone wishing landlords had more power. Why don't you look up landlords in California kicking out rent controlled tenants so they can flip properties for a shitload of money before you opine about over powered tenancy laws?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
edit: woops forgot I wasn't in the YOSPOS bubble thread, my bad for engaging

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Theory: Big Head buys controlling interest in Pied Piper, Richard gets back in as CEO, just as the ex-Hooli team reveals their new product.

Of course it could just be more horse loving.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Enderzero posted:

Jesus I never expect to see someone wishing landlords had more power. Why don't you look up landlords in California kicking out rent controlled tenants so they can flip properties for a shitload of money before you opine about over powered tenancy laws?

Naw.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Chris Knight posted:

Theory: Big Head buys controlling interest in Pied Piper, Richard gets back in as CEO, just as the ex-Hooli team reveals their new product.

Except the Nucleus guys seemed to not be interested in working together at all - they just wanted the 'secret sauce.'

The more likely eventuality is that Pied Piper's ~super speshul~ IP suddenly becomes diluted by a ton of other similar options that, while not as good, will probably offer themselves at a lower price point.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I wish NYC had California's levels of tenant protection.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, goddamn. Renters basically have no rights here in Colorado and it's hosed.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I swear I've been in meeting exactly like those.

"Hi, Dave from SE regional, when you said that X isn't a feature you're aware of, we sold X to a new client and it's going to be a huge deal for us. So you misspoke?"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Was that real horses or CGI?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It's HBO. There is no way those horses weren't real.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's HBO. There is no way those horses weren't real.

5 horses died filming that scene.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/silicon-valley-horse-sex-scene-888871

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

roffles posted:

Even the bit characters like the doctor are amazing.

That whole interaction with the sales people made me sad, ITS TOO REAL :(

Real talk, I work at a tech company and the CTO that was around since the beginning and basically invented everything for the company quit pretty recently, due to the sales people focusing too much on trying to monetize everything and destroying the R&D budget. I'm starting to think I'm watching a tv show of my life :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

How long did it take to get the money shot?

Oh, less than a minute. That's the only thing that's fake is, well, the horses actually go very quickly. So we had to repeat the footage some — not too much, but if you cut it all together, the horse just finishes really fast. It would not go on as long as that conversation Richard and Jack are having in the scene.

• Locked thread