Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
High pressure sintering of powdered metals like that is also basically the only way to handle stuff like pure tungsten (given the temperature it melts at) - the cubes of tungsten I had made last year were sintered and machined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Reacon posted:

The joke is that Volvo is now Chinese.

The joke is also that I think that's Korea. At least, the twiter feed is Korean.

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Don' say we neva did nuthin fah yuz.
I had a fun experience with my '88 BMW 635CSi. I noticed that when I was turning at low speed, I would hear a CLUNK from the driver's side front wheel. I jacked it up, and saw that the Lower Control Arm bushing looked like a stepped on jelly do-nut. Now, I do a lot of my own work on my cars, but I'm not really set up for suspension stuff. Especially on this car, which requires that you have proper load on the suspension when torquing the LCA nut. (I mean, I could put it on jack stands, then put a jack under the spring perch and compress it until it appears correct, then try to torque it to spec while praying the jack doesn't slip and maim/kill me, but I'm not that brave anymore) Anyway, so I took it to a local reputable shop and told them what I suspected the problem was. They called me a few hours later to tell me that the issue wasn't the LCA, but that I needed both of my thrust arms replaced, which would cost double what the LCA would cost. Now, this was going to take ALL of my money now, but I figured that it was best to spend it so my car would be safe to drive, right?

Well, I go to pick up the car. Pay them, go to start it and the whole thing goes tits up. A myriad of things were wrong, but I later found out that it was because the battery had gotten too low*, and that makes BMWs of this era very, very angry. The mechanics all hosed off for the day, and I sat around in the parking lot trying to get my car to run. A friend finally came by and we charged the battery a bit and it made it to my garage. HOWEVER, on the way there, I noticed that the CLUNK was still present.

I have contacted the shop and they insist that the LCA was fine, and want me to bring it back and see if they can discover what the clunk is.

For reference, this is a picture of the perfectly fine LCA bushing:

So, you tell me, was I the mechanic failure, are they wrong, or could it be a combination of the two.

*how the hell it got so low is a mystery, but they acted like it had arrived that way. It hadn't.

EDIT: Balls, I meant LCA Ball Joint. (It's usually cheaper to have them replace the entire LCA in one go, and that is what I asked them to do. But they didn't)

Jackie the Mick fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 2, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Das ist balljoint.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I could be wrong but that looks a lot like a balljoint, not a bushing.

e: f, b

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Don' say we neva did nuthin fah yuz.

Geirskogul posted:

Das ist balljoint.

That's what I meant. The ball joint on the lower control arm. What I told the shop was "It's making a clunking sound when turning at low speeds and I suspect the Front Left LCA needs replaced.") Regardless, am I wrong in my diagnosis? I just don't have tons of experience with suspension components, but it seemed pretty straight forward.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

From the GIF thread, a Mechanical Failure (the pacing motorcycle)

http://i.imgur.com/JlsH2Dz.gifv

http://gothamist.com/2016/05/01/video_several_cyclists_injured_duri.php

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is how I imagine every bicycle race.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:laffo: Holy poo poo, that's like 10 seconds into the race.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Jackie the Mick posted:

That's what I meant. The ball joint on the lower control arm. What I told the shop was "It's making a clunking sound when turning at low speeds and I suspect the Front Left LCA needs replaced.") Regardless, am I wrong in my diagnosis? I just don't have tons of experience with suspension components, but it seemed pretty straight forward.

It's leaking grease but that doesn't mean there is any play in it yet. You would have to jack it up and pull on a pry bar between the lca and knuckle to check.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

This was really interesting, thanks!

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

as a conclusion to the weird vibration that I thought was wheel weights, you guys were right. nothing to do with that. it was this.

couldn't see it initially because it was at the top. checked it again after parking somewhere else and saw this staring back at me. yikes. oh well, it needed new tires anyways.

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 3, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Doing a little research to do some dumb poo poo to my BMW when i came across this.

:stare:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wow that's some weight there.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Shampoo posted:

From the GIF thread, a Mechanical Failure (the pacing motorcycle)

http://i.imgur.com/JlsH2Dz.gifv

This is also a good way to illustrate the formation of blood clots.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Powershift posted:

Doing a little research to do some dumb poo poo to my BMW when i came across this.

Looks like the weights on my F150 wheels honestly.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Can we do horrible home owner ignoring bad sounds causing appliance failures in here? Dryer has squealed since I bought the house 5+ years ago, never really bothered me enough to look into it. Last week I started a load and left, came back later and everything was still damp. Wouldn't restart and turning it by hand was clunky and difficult. Finally tore it apart...

There is supposed to be a ball sticking off the back of the drum here

Found the ball, not exactly where it is supposed to be

Not very round anymore either

Well this explains the metal on metal grinding sound

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Powershift posted:

Dumb question: Why are there weights on both sides?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Captain Postal posted:

To balance out the superfluous weights on the other side.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Captain Postal posted:

It looks like it's on the inside of the left and outside of the right to overcome a bent wheel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

It looks like it's on the inside of the left and outside of the right to overcome a bent wheel.

More than likely it's balanced wrong.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
One side is imperial and the other is metric.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Postal posted:

It has problems much worse than simple wheel weights can fix.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Could be from a bent wheel, an idiot putting a wheel on the machine a little tilty/not tight enough and the machine seeing a massive side to side imbalance, or a flaky machine and a no-fucks-given lazy worker chasing the remaining imbalance around the wheel, dutifully putting on another weight where it says every time instead of thinking and realizing maybe the machine's gone wonky.

e: IIRC a busted belt can cause funky issues and freak the machine out so it keeps telling you to add weights too. Not sure it'd result in a pattern like that.

digger_smolkin
Feb 23, 2007

Any Problem Solved

Is A New Problem Made

NitroSpazzz posted:

Can we do horrible home owner ignoring bad sounds causing appliance failures in here? Dryer has squealed since I bought the house 5+ years ago, never really bothered me enough to look into it. Last week I started a load and left, came back later and everything was still damp. Wouldn't restart and turning it by hand was clunky and difficult. Finally tore it apart...

There is supposed to be a ball sticking off the back of the drum here

Found the ball, not exactly where it is supposed to be

Not very round anymore either

Well this explains the metal on metal grinding sound

Luckily, any appliance parts house has drum bearings in stock because they're a wear item and super cheap. The heat strip is generic and also cheap (for appliance parts).
It is carefully engineered to shred your heat strip and the fragile ceramic spacers that hold it, so make sure to check it and related wiring before reassembly. Have fun!

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

digger_smolkin posted:

Luckily, any appliance parts house has drum bearings in stock because they're a wear item and super cheap. The heat strip is generic and also cheap (for appliance parts).
It is carefully engineered to shred your heat strip and the fragile ceramic spacers that hold it, so make sure to check it and related wiring before reassembly. Have fun!

Don't forget to buy the felt around the front of the dryer door the drum rides on. If the rear bearing is that bad, the front felt is probably worn pretty badly too. If it doesn't seal properly you won't get enough airflow over the heating element and it will trip the thermal overload.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

This did in fact make a cool noise.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like tuerck needs to stop using old japanese junk.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

What happens when you don't properly secure a 40,000 lb steel coil on a flatbed trailer?

Apparently it shifted on an offramp and pulled the trailer over with it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

What happens when you don't properly secure a 40,000 lb steel coil on a flatbed trailer?

You turn the flatbed trailer into steel coil. :v:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Apparently it shifted on an offramp and pulled the trailer over with it.

Filed under "kingpins are ridiculously strong"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I want to imagine the coil flipped over like the world's biggest Slinky and kept going. :allears:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Balljoint? it's probably a failed balljoint.

All the lugnuts were sitting in the driveway and the wheel in the passenger seat. maybe the BJ failed, took the wheel off to make it easier to drag it?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

BraveUlysses posted:

Balljoint? it's probably a failed balljoint.

All the lugnuts were sitting in the driveway and the wheel in the passenger seat. maybe the BJ failed, took the wheel off to make it easier to drag it?

More like all the lug studs sheared the gently caress off.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY-qTYGum28&t=105s

Jesus gently caress. Bang.

Slowmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY-qTYGum28&t=217s

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 13, 2016

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

The shift light. :catstare:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

loving hell. Nightmare scenario of all those forces erupting from the transmission tunnel and into your legs.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The three flames out the top and sides reminds me of this, but inverted:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

He spends a full four seconds bouncing it off the rev limiter, no poo poo it blew the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Memento posted:

He spends a full four seconds bouncing it off the rev limiter, no poo poo it blew the gently caress up.

Apparently you don't drag race much. That's standard procedure in lots of drag cars. Hell, the nitrous outlaw cars often try to get the turbo cars to heat soak by making them stage first and then sit on the rev/2-step limiter for ten seconds.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 13, 2016