Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can handle it if they are spanking the broncos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Prime example of why all Broncos games need to be on a Friday night at Suncorp.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Airstream Driver posted:

Prime example of why all Broncos games need to be on a Friday night at Suncorp.
or the exact opposite

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I vote for all Broncos games to be randomised like every other team because apparently having to play any time that's not Friday night causes them to poo poo the bed which is a result I am happy with.

Maybe that's why they lost the grand final :iiam:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The broncos are getting a run from the refs here.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Can't have the NRL's glamour side get thrashed; a comeback victory is much better in the key demographics.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, the Warriors management were angry enough with the antics of Vatuvei, Matulino and Thompson, that they've declared the three unavailable for the Kiwis in the upcoming ANZAC test. Good. gently caress them.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Big late call from the bunker there.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Red_Museum posted:

Big late call from the bunker there.
loving rubbish call

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i'm glad the bunker didn't manage to hand the game over, someone is not getting an envelope of cash tonight

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

That was a good game in the end, once the Broncs pulled their fingers out

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Vagabundo posted:

So, the Warriors management were angry enough with the antics of Vatuvei, Matulino and Thompson, that they've declared the three unavailable for the Kiwis in the upcoming ANZAC test. Good. gently caress them.

Who are the Warriors to decide whether their players can play for country or not?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

MiniSune posted:

Who are the Warriors to decide whether their players can play for country or not?

It's better than the "injuries" that clubs sometimes use to rule players out of test matches. At least there's a bit more transparency involved this time.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I don't think Luke has been playing badly enough to miss selection here, at least with the other structural problems in the spine. Hiku or Kahu/Nikorima/SJ/Luke would be the best option imo, when I think it'll actually be Kahu/Hiku/SJ/Nikorima

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Yeah Luke should be there for sure.

Also additional to the Warriors shameful six story: 5 of the 6 have admitted to doing the energy drink/precription pills thing, Hurrell says he did not have any pills and was sober driver. Kearney had knowledge of this and was in full agreement with the Warriors that they should not be selected for NZ.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Smorgasbord posted:

He showed up out of shape and had a few off games, but the way Rattue at the Herald has been writing him off has been sensationalist bullshit. He should be in the test squad.

quote:

Also additional to the Warriors shameful six story: 5 of the 6 have admitted to doing the energy drink/precription pills thing, Hurrell says he did not have any pills and was sober driver. Kearney had knowledge of this and was in full agreement with the Warriors that they should not be selected for NZ.

:negative:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Tigers just picked up Elijah Taylor from the panthers, not a bad acquisition with all the injuries we have at the moment.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

iajanus posted:

Tigers just picked up Elijah Taylor from the panthers, not a bad acquisition with all the injuries we have at the moment.

Yeah that's a great pickup, exactly what they need.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Anyone know if he knows how to kick goals? We could use one of those...

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I just hope Taylor knows how to use him properly. Cleary, McClennan, Elliott, Cleary again and Griffin all treated him like poo poo. Let him play lock and good things will happen. He's an absolute workhorse on defence and can be a sneakily good ballplayer on occasion.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

I just hope Taylor knows how to use him properly. Cleary, McClennan, Elliott, Cleary again and Griffin all treated him like poo poo. Let him play lock and good things will happen. He's an absolute workhorse on defence and can be a sneakily good ballplayer on occasion.

That should be their plan, but Jason Taylor is a proven retard so who knows. Their current locks are Halatau or Sue so you'd think it's an obvious fit...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jono C posted:

He showed up out of shape and had a few off games, but the way Rattue at the Herald has been writing him off has been sensationalist bullshit. He should be in the test squad.

:negative:

Rattue? Sensationalist? The devil you say.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

That should be their plan, but Jason Taylor is a proven retard so who knows. Their current locks are Halatau or Sue so you'd think it's an obvious fit...

My thoughts exactly. Taylor is likely going to play him in reserve grade, knowing his usual muppetry.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Jason Taylor's noted incompetence is what I was hinting at.

Vagabundo posted:

Rattue? Sensationalist? The devil you say.

I usually only read his league stuff, and he's typically more even keeled when it comes to that. But between his campaign against Luke and his suggestion that Johnson be cut, I'm beginning to see what sort of material he comes up with for wider audiences.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Taylor could literally play him anywhere in the forwards and it'd be a massive improvement for their pack. Put him in the second row to cover the Brooks/Moses turnstile

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Player, average number of missed tackles in last five games :

Moses: 4.1
Brooks: 6.1
Thurston: 4

Yeah, they're not great, but they're not as catastrophically bad as you might imagine.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

The difference is JT is paired with a solid defender in Michael Morgan in the halves and JT's decidedly average defence is backed up by a beastly forward pack. Most teams can get by with one lousy defender in the halves, two with solid help from the forwards; the Tigers have two with the likes of Curtis Sironen left to help them out

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Yeah, they're not great, but they're not as catastrophically bad as you might imagine.

Thurston seems to give more of a gently caress on defence during Origin season. The problem I have with Moses and Brooks is that in addition to being questionable defensively, they need the perfect platform to be laid for them by their forwards to be effective. Also, Moses seems to need defensive attention to be directed towards Brooks, Tedesco and Farah in order to shine. Anyone paying him more than 600k per season and expecting him to be a genuine star is going to be very disappointed.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jono C posted:

I usually only read his league stuff, and he's typically more even keeled when it comes to that. But between his campaign against Luke and his suggestion that Johnson be cut, I'm beginning to see what sort of material he comes up with for wider audiences.

See if you can find his meltdown over Graham Henry being retained as All Blacks coach over Robbie Deans in 2007.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

These are garbage stats, JTs missed tackles predominantly come from busting his guts out trying to chase down breakaways, not weak armgrabs in the line creating a linebreak like the Tiger halves. I own JT in fantasy so watch him like a hawk, he'd be close to the best defensive halfback in the game.

edit: perhaps overstated a little but even defensively JT is so far ahead of Brooks & Moses any comparison is laughable.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 2, 2016

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

Thurston seems to give more of a gently caress on defence during Origin season. The problem I have with Moses and Brooks is that in addition to being questionable defensively, they need the perfect platform to be laid for them by their forwards to be effective. Also, Moses seems to need defensive attention to be directed towards Brooks, Tedesco and Farah in order to shine. Anyone paying him more than 600k per season and expecting him to be a genuine star is going to be very disappointed.

Oh I don't disagree. I was only pointing out that they're not statistically much worse than another player in their spot. They definitely need help in the line and in no way deserve that kind of pay packet. They also could use a better forward pack (or one at all) to be able to perform up to their potential. Taylor should help, for sure.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Parra salary cap decision due out tomorrow, sounds like maybe 8 points.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

SMH is hinting that it's going to end their season, so I'm going to guess it's either more than eight or they won't be allowed to earn points for the remainder of the season.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Vagabundo posted:

See if you can find his meltdown over Graham Henry being retained as All Blacks coach over Robbie Deans in 2007.

Rattue tears are the best. About the only thing he has going for him is at least he's not noted grub Tony Veitch.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

The worst radio I have ever heard is when Mark Watson has Rattue on his show and they wank each other off about how they're the only rebels in the media who call it how it is and hold the players to account e.g do the loudest and laziest trolls to desperately scramble for clicks/listener numbers. If they got Mark Reason in on it it would be the ultimate dickhead media troll convention.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I'm very thankful I don't know who these people are, I've already mostly avoided the 9 muppets so my commentator quality level has been surprisingly good.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Turns out that he not only was aware of this, he was involved in the Warriors' call to bar them from selection for the upcoming test.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Turns out that he not only was aware of this, he was involved in the Warriors' call to bar them from selection for the upcoming test.

That makes sense considering he had to deal with similar bullshit by players at the last World Cup.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jono C posted:

That makes sense considering he had to deal with similar bullshit by players at the last World Cup.

He was quite right to, and I like that the Warriors included him in their disciplinary process. It sets a good precedent for club and country going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kiwis team has been named

1. Jordan Kahu
2. Jason Nightingale
3. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
4. Gerard Beale
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
6. Tohu Harris
7. Shaun Johnson