Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Should be called "10 for hire".

Oh hell have dog that breaks the space time continuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

EminusSleepus posted:

Derek what happened to those big leavers?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that there's a decent part of me that really, really hoped this game would have come out and be 100% of what was promised, entirely contradictory promises notwithstanding. EVE Wars Part Deux would be the most delicious thing we've ever experienced. It's my biggest regret with regard to Chris's horrifying mismanagement.

You and me both, frankly. Yeah, many space games have been in a rut, and, if nothing else, I was hoping SCSquadron42TheReturnOfPCGaming would shake things up when it was released.

Apparently, it is shaking things up while still wallowing in it's own filth.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

skaboomizzy posted:

About the leaked script being an "early draft":

The Man Himself carried out a stack of something he claimed was his script the size of a phone book on stage last October. What exactly do you think it was?

Empty pages of printer paper.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Like the roadmap.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They never ask him to show his Derek Smart tattoo :(

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

The Man Himself carried out a stack of something he claimed was his script the size of a phone book on stage last October. What exactly do you think it was?

cocaine dreams

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

So, who's standing behind the camera forcing him to smile wider?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

lol

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I just spent $4,200 on 70 pre orders of CoD:IW. It might seem silly, but they have assured me that prices are only going to go up as we get closer to release, so I think I have made a wise and good investment. :smug:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Samizdata posted:

So, if he did coke with crobber, he'd be Powdered Toastman?

He'd be Toastman with extra frosting!

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

FrankieGoes posted:

I just spent $4,200 on 70 pre orders of CoD:IW. It might seem silly, but they have assured me that prices are only going to go up as we get closer to release, so I think I have made a wise and good investment. :smug:

In two years's time those pre-orders will cost $5000 so I think you have chosen wisely, commando o9

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Ta

That must be the awesomest bird pic eva

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
If anyone doubts the bravado of the true giants in the AAA FPS space (and whether or not they're the sorts who like to bitchslap competitors in the space), see how Dice reacted to the latest Call of Duty trailer:

Childish, of course - obnoxious. But that's how they roll...

The rumors of a WW2 setting for Battlefield 5 remain unproven. Though I'm hoping for a throwback as a lover of the franchise, the Star Citizen traincrash rubbernecker in me is secretly hoping they're going to space, too.

We find out in a few days. I expect they're going back in time-- but man... Maaaaaybe...?

G0RF fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 3, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm going to be honest. If i buy a computer game I'm pretty much expecting it to be entirely Computer Generated.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

D_Smart posted:

In case the story of the Fisherman (Chris) and his wife isn't familiar, you should read it.

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm019.html

Actually It seems to me Chris would actually be the fisherman´s wife. The fisherman being represented by the dev teams working for him.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Daztek posted:

Youtube of the new CoD trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8awSU_5d65I

Chris "We're going to have a better FPS experience than CoD/Battlefield/Others" Roberts
Call of Duty: "LOL"

I laughed hard at "this is ground control".

Stay safe, commandos o9

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

I am ... critical of management....

ManofManyAliases posted:

I know nothing about the contract with Illfonic expect for rumours that those idiots couldn't follow directions.

Lol. Ok.

Hey Toast, this is funny and you wouldnt believe it, the rumours I heard instead is that some idiots at CIG´s management team couldnt figure out what they wanted, nevermind how to do it, in the first place.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 3, 2016

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Does that discussion include 30 goons jumping on anyone who supports CiG in any fashion? That's not much of a discussion.

Oh boy, Toast, I´m sure that must feel refreshing compared to simply closing down or moving all annoying posts to the concerns forum, amiright?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvzAv1QTmU&t=96s

:yarg: :australia: :gary:

Pointy
Feb 12, 2003

hello old friend

skaboomizzy posted:

Sandi's celebrity autograph collection

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

MedicineHut posted:

Lol. Ok.

Hey Toast, this is funny and you wouldnt believe it, the rumours I heard instead is that some idiots at CIG´s management team couldnt figure out what they wanted, nevermind how to do it, in the first place.

The truth is somewhere in the middle and some pretty strict NDA's prevent it from being discussed

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

EightAce posted:

The truth is somewhere in the middle and some pretty strict NDA's prevent it from being discussed

Have you seen any reaction from the higher ups about cod in space?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

my american political frame can only interpret this as dog-whistling about black people being bad. am I close?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok - and I appreciate that (no it wasn't aimed at you so much just a public deflection).

I registered an account here after lurking for months. Most of what I bought-in with was done prior to this, and over time since 2013. My last pledge was last year.

As for the AI comment - I'm not blind to the fact that this has been done in quite a few games for many years. What initially impressed me was not so much the video as it was my understanding that the devs are programming this themselves. Again - limited knowledge here, but I in the understanding that much had to be rewritten since it's basically a new engine that they've written (read: changed so much that it's practically new).

Is that a wrong understanding? Maybe? I'm not infallible.

This is a much better post than your regular offerings thanks for the effort

If you want an example of how to maintain your dignity and sanity while posting in an overwhelmingly hostile community, check out how Chalks told Reddit about his RSI forums ban. Try for a second to channel his spirit and see how his humility and respect serves as advantages in the discussion, not signs of weakness. And no, I don't exactly do that in practice in this thread but when I post in Reddit I actually do take the effort because they're convinced that I'm convinced that they're idiots, and while that may be true in many cases, in many others they just act as they're treated

I'll probably read you breaking down in another hissy fit in about a page but hey, nice while it lasted

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

A Neurotic Jew posted:

my american political frame can only interpret this as dog-whistling about black people being bad. am I close?

Actually it's about killing carp with herpes, but you're not too far off. That's the other topic that's discussed in question time. We don't use dog-whistles, just people whistles.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 3, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

G0RF posted:

If anyone doubts the bravado of the true giants in the AAA FPS space (and whether or not they're the sorts who like to bitchslap competitors in the space), see how Dice reacted to the latest Call of Duty trailer:

Childish, of course - obnoxious. But that's how they roll...

The rumors of a WW2 setting for Battlefield 5 remain unproven. Though I'm hoping for a throwback as a lover of the franchise, the Star Citizen traincrash rubbernecker in me is secretly hoping they're going to space, too.

We find out in a few days. I expect they're going back in time-- but man... Maaaaaybe...?

Good News internet critics. In just about six months you will be able to receive a product you can then experience and judge on it's own merits.

Me? Well I'm just going to uhhhh ahhhh ummm THE WAY DISNEY DOES WITH MARVEL

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Barnaby Joyce looks a bit like one of the CIG stooges they have in their videos.

As for a BF WW1 game, if it doesn't have you dealing with boring trench warfare and dysentery, there's not enough fidelity or immersion really. Fresh in our memories.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm not Toast. Smart is wrong. Stop fueling the flames.

If you're not Toast, what is your RSI account?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
I love how salty citizens consider that being a fan of any other game apart from SC somehow equates to being one of Derek's minions

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4hhmej/do_you_think_that_the_new_spacebased_cod_will/d2q710t

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

CubicalSucrose posted:

"Trailer Day, it would be called. By the outside. By the entitled slackers, by the leavers. By those who actually were able to refer to it. To those who were there that day it was unmentionable. The best were able to forget it, the lucky just learned to hold back the tears at night.

Like most Mondays, there was rework going on. The latest discussions with The Chairman were typical. Nothing had enough fidelity, nothing fit the vision. Well, there were a handful of assets that made the cut. This week. Years ago the drones had learned that none of it was ever truly acceptable. And so they typed and clicked and pretended that their coffee here was better than their last jobs'.

It started slowly. Popping up in social media feeds that were mostly ignored while the polygon counts were being increased, while the carbon paper was being pressed on, while the netcode was being...well, no one had touched the netcode in months, but still it was omnipresent. And then one watched it, then three, then nine...There were no words for what they saw, just the tiniest hints of a smile that crept along each ones' face as their own human neural nets recognized the music. Vicariously triumphant, recognizing that IT had been made, even if not by them, they were momentarily at peace.

What followed was what could best be described as a domino effect of jackalish self-preservation. Chris was coming in to the office that morning and someone would have to tell him the news. Worse yet, she would be there. Purposefully, they popped their heads up and surveyed the environment. Who hadn't seen it yet? It had to be an innocent, no one would go through with it having full knowledge. Although they'd expect a beating, as is the case with all Major Tom video announcements, this was something more.

The martyr's name, as we all know now, would be Ay-tase. An unfortunate misplacement of his keycard resulted in a late arrival through The Doors. The greeter broke the news and delivered a concise summary with more acting prowess than a dozen Oldmans. She only had one shot at this, everyone else had seen it. Ay-tase gave a resignatory sigh, some days you're the statue. At least, he figured, he'd have immunity for the next two months. No time to be wasted, he walked into his boss's office.

As he entered he made sure to prep himself, turning slightly away from the center desk, hands over nethers, eyes shut...just like he'd practiced at home.

"C-Chris..." "CHAIRMAN ROBERTS!" "Right, ahh, Ch-chairman Roberts...There's been...there's been a new M-Major Tom v-v-video..." "That's QA's problem now. We've integrated his videos as our innovative whitebox bug solution. It goes straight to their department as soon as YouTube finishes processing the files for pipelining. Didn't you get the memo?" "Yes, but...but this one is different...grabby hands...well, it seems that, ah, he's teamed up with the publish..."

All video and audio recording cuts out there. Some say The Chairman's office had always been stimpire-themed, and that the human entrails adorning all the furniture were there since they moved in. Some suggest that Ay-tase is just a myth that older game developers tell the youths to scare them. The only thing that's crystal clear is that there's a man named Roberts in a room in a mental facility, who sings a particular Bowie song on repeat."

This deserves another page

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

This is a much better post than your regular offerings thanks for the effort

If you want an example of how to maintain your dignity and sanity while posting in an overwhelmingly hostile community, check out how Chalks told Reddit about his RSI forums ban. Try for a second to channel his spirit and see how his humility and respect serves as advantages in the discussion, not signs of weakness. And no, I don't exactly do that in practice in this thread but when I post in Reddit I actually do take the effort because they're convinced that I'm convinced that they're idiots, and while that may be true in many cases, in many others they just act as they're treated

I'll probably read you breaking down in another hissy fit in about a page but hey, nice while it lasted

Just read that Chalks thread you linked. Chalks I don't know how you kept composure, seriously gently caress that community.

Why would anyone want to be associated with a total bunch of cunts like that.

Anyone still with money in this scam is an utter oval office in my eyes.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
New Squadron42 details sounding good commando

quote:

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare will allow players to pilot a transforming fighter plane that can be upgraded and customized. The fighter, referred to in the game as a Jackal, "can transform between atmospheric flight mode and zero-G flight mode for when you have to dogfight in the vacuum of space,"

Infinite Warfare will offer a seamless experience in which players are fully invested in not only their character, but also their vehicle. "It's kind of the Top Gun fantasy," he explained, noting that "it's your fighter that you get to upgrade and customize. You get to walk along the flight deck and have the flight crew preparing it for you and saluting you and you get into it and you fly out into these crazy missions that you chose to go to."

Instead of fragmenting the game by shoehorning in vehicle sequences, "they are seamlessly woven into the fiction of the character and the mechanics of the game," providing an experience that Minkoff described as being "completely holistic."

In this way, "you can be boots on ground, fighting through the streets of a city on earth, call down your Jackal, get into it, fly up through the atmosphere, engage in a dogfight over the orbit of earth, finish that dogfight, land on the deck of the carrier, get into the carrier, go up to the bridge, and order your ship to go to the next mission and all of it happens seamlessly with no loading screens."

While Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare will feature a linear story, Infinity Ward's upcoming shooter will also include non-linear elements that allow the player to earn various in-game rewards.

"As the captain of the UNSA Retribution, which is the carrier that you command, you can order it to go and engage in different missions in a non-linear order," Infinity Ward design director Jacob Minkoff told IGN.

"We are telling a linear story, but along the way you can choose to attack targets of opportunity, and attacking those targets of opportunity will reward you with various items and progression and loot elements that will help you to accomplish the next main mission that you accept from command," he added, noting they "will also reveal optional elements of the story."

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

What with them claiming people will be blown away by the reveal, I am guessing it could be a "big battles bonanza" as in different battles in different times. E.g. one in WW2, one in Vietnam, one current, on future etc. That's the only thing that would really surprise people.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

RubberJohnny posted:

New Squadron42 details sounding good commando

I am unbelievably aroused

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok - I'll bite.

1) I don't know. My hope is that mocapped animations, noted actors (whatever grade they may be), and an engaging script will save grace. And before any of that gets torn-apart: I don't think the script that was released was real, and if so, perhaps a very early draft. It was kind of horrible.

2) CiG might decide to allow a benefit for completing SQ42, such as in game reputation or standing. While not required to play, it may bolster your character somehow. Yet to be seen. Plus, there are apparently 2 other episodes to be released in subsequent years.

3) The PU (non-existent as it is right now) is supposed to get it's start in 2.4 with BASIC mechanics such as the introduction of a currency that will stay throughout Alpha and an in-game, front-end store that is finally tied to your backend database. If they can properly implement server cpu scaling, utilize GCE with Google's cloud as promised and magically implement this zoned-instance within an instance within an instance that has been discussed, then perhaps they can pull it off.

4) The asset leak from 14/15 showed (at least at the time) that CiG is capable of working on multiple things at once (And in volume) than what is shown to the backers (my gripe with open development again). I don't think they've stopped this model, and I think that there are likely assets and development that is still underway, but simply kept from us, as a surprise element.

5) I don't. I've said on RSI forums, reddit, and here that you should only back if you want to further development of the project. Once the economy design elements are shared with us, I hope (yes - I've said hope quite a few times) that it's fleshed-out and sensical enough that someone does not need to spend 30,000 hours grinding to afford a Constellation.

Start selling that $5k worth of Star Citizen crap you have.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
I can't wait for the new and exciting ways to find out exactly how owned the Cobbler got as more information is released by Call of Duty and other upcoming games. Today was magic but I want to see all the salt generated by the recent meltdowns just rubbed into those CIG wounds.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

:boom: Best news ever.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

SomethingJones posted:

Just read that Chalks thread you linked. Chalks I don't know how you kept composure, seriously gently caress that community.

The way I approached it was that anyone who replied to the thread saying "you're lying" was a lost cause, a cultist that is already so far gone that I'll never convince them so why even try. Instead, I replied as a message to any normal person who might read the thread.

I've still not received a reply from CIG support about it btw, they clearly just shitcan difficult questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SomethingJones posted:

I wouldn't exactly agree with the utter oval office statement, behind all the bluster and shouting there is some legitimate doubt about random internet dude's story. It's very hard to sift it from the turds of course, but that's the impressive thing: his ability to get past all that and actually shame some of them into a somewhat more reasonable discussion.

• Locked thread