Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Croatoan posted:

Make your mother sauces with this one cool trick! Chefs hate him!

The life hack version would be to just melt the butter, pour it on, and let it cool/"thicken".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Marta Velasquez posted:

The life hack version would be to just melt the butter, pour it on, and let it cool/"thicken".

Life hack: Bernaise is pretty much just mayonnaise made with butter. So add butter to your store bought mayo.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

CommonShore posted:

In my experience of bopping around Chinatowns and eating in :supaburn: Ethnic Restaurants :supaburn: the biggest distinguishing characteristic is the decor. They're able to charge less because they save money on giving the restaurant any kind of white-people-friendly polish. The cheap tables, cheap plates, and cheap construction look "gross" or "dirty" or whatever to the average middle-class chain restaurant diner.

This is because you're not going to Actually Nice places. In any ethnic neighborhood larger than a couple of blocks, you'll find the full spectrum of restaurants, from incredibly-marginal-lunch-and-change-from-a-fiver places, to McDonalds For Noodles, to Olive Garden but Curries, to Maybe Wear a Tie, to (if it's in a major city with a sufficient population and a non-completely-subjected ethnicity) Holy poo poo Can We Afford This? And that's leaving aside "fusion/elevated" places run by persons of the actual relevant ethnicity and the real big-ticket option, which is banquet/event dining.

A lot of the price differential is rent. As a very instructive example see http://www.pekingduckhousenyc.com/ -- that's a well-known NYC Chinatown restaurant with a (relatively) recent Midtown branch. Note the price differential of 10-20% across the board.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Mr. Wiggles posted:

In Reno you need at least three stars before you change out of a t shirt. But a suit is also acceptable at a one star.

I spend more time than I would like in Reno for work. Any places you'd recommend?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Life hack: Bernaise is pretty much just mayonnaise made with butter. So add butter to your store bought mayo.

Aunt Sandy could rebrand herself! "Happy Hour Life Hacks with Sandra Lee".

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Croatoan posted:

Aunt Sandy could rebrand herself! "Happy Hour Life Hacks with Sandra Lee".

I never thought of her as a life hacker. Now, I don't know how I missed it.

Sandra Lee: Life Hacker
Alton Brown: Hacker
Guy Fieri: Hack

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Is there/has there been any Indian food and/or curry (mega)thread? I looked up and down the first few pages a week or two ago but I didn't see anything.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

CommonShore posted:

Is there/has there been any Indian food and/or curry (mega)thread? I looked up and down the first few pages a week or two ago but I didn't see anything.

Be the curry you want to see in the world

I believe in you

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Esme posted:

I spend more time than I would like in Reno for work. Any places you'd recommend?

There's tons of great food in reno. Best options are in the categories of "farm to table hipster food," "good old school ethnic places," and "gigantic breakfasts to soak up liquor.". For the first, try Heritage, Brasserie St. James, and Feast. For the second, you want Louie's Basque Corner, Casales Half Way Club, or the Santa Fe. For the third, hit up any of the Pegs locations, the Silver and Gold, or Josef's Vienna.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MrSlam posted:

Be the curry you want to see in the world

I believe in you

Yeah I was prepared for this answer. I'm no expert but I'll start a thread once I get a bit of time.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

CommonShore posted:

Yeah I was prepared for this answer. I'm no expert but I'll start a thread once I get a bit of time.

I think it's a great idea. I pretty much only know one curry recipe and I'm interested to see more people's opinions on Indian food. I'd love for someone to talk about making spinach pakora for instance or simulating a tandoor using household items. I was tempted to try the Alton Brown "cheap" method but I didn't have enough money for a ceramic cutting buzzsaw so I think I should just use the broiler instead.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MrSlam posted:

I think it's a great idea. I pretty much only know one curry recipe and I'm interested to see more people's opinions on Indian food. I'd love for someone to talk about making spinach pakora for instance or simulating a tandoor using household items. I was tempted to try the Alton Brown "cheap" method but I didn't have enough money for a ceramic cutting buzzsaw so I think I should just use the broiler instead.

For some reason my thread got me autobanned when I tried to post it.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

what thread tag did you use?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Trebuchet King posted:

what thread tag did you use?

"HOT," as in "spicy food"

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

CommonShore posted:

"HOT," as in "spicy food"

There's your problem.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rumda posted:

There's your problem.

So that tag is an autoban? Makes sense :suicide:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

There used to be a thing that said "Hot and Attention are mod-only tags," but I can't remember where.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Trebuchet King posted:

There used to be a thing that said "Hot and Attention are mod-only tags," but I can't remember where.

Well I'm not bothering with the thread now, so :shrug:.

Ah yes, there it is beside the thread "reply" box. Oh well. I was so focused on getting the BB tags right that I just picked the first tag that seemed even obliquely relevant to my post.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dude the thread is right here so you could always just copy and paste it into a new thread and choose a less autobanning thread tag!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Midniter posted:

Dude the thread is right here so you could always just copy and paste it into a new thread and choose a less autobanning thread tag!

I actually wrote it in word before I posted it. I'll just be bitter about it for a few hours and repost it later I think. I'll still need to fix the bbtags again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774083

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
My Greek yiayia (grandmother), bless her soul, who always cooks our Greek Orthodox Easter Feast, has been ill and I just found out today that she won't be cooking for our Easter Sunday (observed) tomorrow. Apparently she asked my mother (her daughter) to take care of cooking- and mom was planning to pick up two cooked $5 rotisserie chickens from Kroger in the morning, plus some pre-made mashed taters and cans of chicken gravy, and a can of corn. ;_;

I'm just visiting from out of town and can't do much, but hell if there will be Greek Easter without lamb. I've never cooked it before, but I did a bit of research, borrowed a fridge and counter space, ran to a couple stores and I have my last-minute leg of lamb resting in the fridge. The only leg I could find was 9lbs do I had the butcher cut it in half because I wasn't sure the roasting pan I have access to could hold it. Trimmed off the thickest globs of fat, rubbed it with olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano, and cut some slits for slivers of garlic. In the morning I will toss some new potatoes with the same, drizzle all with lemon juice and roast for 2 hours at 350, and take to YiaYia's house for an hour longer cooking time. (Recipes said about 2.5hr for a 5lb roast, and I have two approx 4-5lb roast halves)... and hope for the best. I don't have any sort of meat thermometer here, but luckily Greeks love their lamb well done.

I also picked up some salad, feta and olives and nice bread for a side along with the lamb and taters, and yiayia is still making her spinach pie.

Wish me luck- or if I'm doing something horrible, hopefully you catch me in time?

EVG fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 30, 2016

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Cook it entirely at home, then transport and warm it in the oven. Stopping the cooking in the middle just screams food poisoning to me.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Depends on the travel time. He probably won't be in the dangerzone for food poisoning to be an issue. The real problem is there's no mint.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

https://imgur.com/a/BiOdA

It was fully cooked after 2 hours so I brought it over and stuck in the oven on warm until everyone shows up. It's good! Can't figure out how to link the image on mobile though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

[img] and [/img]

This I think is one of those unique context matters situations, because all I can think is that those potatoes in that pan must be absolutely delicious.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

They really were. And it was so stupidly easy I am kicking myself for never making a lamb roast in the past.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Actually...

Life hack here is that if your bernaise (or your aioli) is piss-poor at emulsifying (because you're a dumb poo poo like me, who uses two attempts every loving time he makes aioli), then get a new bowl, add 1 tablespoon of store bought mayo, and start adding the rest of the stuff. Emulsification will happen.

It will bring the sauce to it's knees like a king-pimp breaking in his new girl.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

EVG posted:

https://imgur.com/a/BiOdA

It was fully cooked after 2 hours so I brought it over and stuck in the oven on warm until everyone shows up. It's good! Can't figure out how to link the image on mobile though.

You saved Easter and have pleased all Yiayias. Congratulations!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Happy Hat posted:

Actually...

Life hack here is that if your bernaise (or your aioli) is piss-poor at emulsifying (because you're a dumb poo poo like me, who uses two attempts every loving time he makes aioli), then get a new bowl, add 1 tablespoon of store bought mayo, and start adding the rest of the stuff. Emulsification will happen.

It will bring the sauce to it's knees like a king-pimp breaking in his new girl.

That's a really good idea. There's little reason not to do it, and it'll make your emulsification much stronger.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I've been having trouble getting stuck blender mayo to come together since I moved. I'm gunna try that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm skipping through old episodes of Good Eats and Alton says to use fresh eggs because they contain more lecithin (the emulsifier in mayo). Once you get a small amount started the rest is easy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
This weekend I made a huge vat of pork green chili and I think it might be my favorite food.

I also took all the random chunks of cheese we have accumulated and used some sodium citrate to make fondu. I had maybe 40oz of assorted cheeses, maybe 3/4 gruyere and the rest hard cheddars. Used a dry white wine as the liquid, added 90% of the cheese weight, and cooked it all in a double boiler. poo poo never fails to amaze me. I portioned most of it out into small containers to freeze and give away and we poured the remainder into a hollowed out load of sourdough. I feel like a superhero of cheese and all this power is going to my head.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

No kirsch?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Sadly no, thought I had the dregs of a bottle left and when the truth was discovered no one was sober enough to drive out.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

FishBulb posted:

I've been having trouble getting stuck blender mayo to come together since I moved. I'm gunna try that.

Tell us how it went - when you do :)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
One of my favorite things is reading recipes off places like cooks.com where the reviews are always "This is the best recipe, it's perfect! When I made it I substituted or changed everything! Would totally recommend this to anyone! A++!"

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Croatoan posted:

One of my favorite things is reading recipes off places like cooks.com where the reviews are always "This is the best recipe, it's perfect! When I made it I substituted or changed everything! Would totally recommend this to anyone! A++!"

I had a Food Network lady get after me for suggesting changes to a few recipes in the review section. It was just a few modifications like using lemon extract or using alfredo sauce instead of tomatoes. The keyword section of every recipe has 'Modification' on it but she said we're supposed to be there to talk about the recipe not about how to change the recipe.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

so i used to bake cookies just about monthly; for food therapy friday last week i made the cashew caramel cookies i consider my signature cookie.

aside from a couple stupid mistakes (ow melted caramel) they turned out pretty dang good; i took them in to work for my coworkers and no fewer than three people asked me why i wasn't selling them. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I would eat those cookies.