Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Immortan posted:

I'm loving stoked for Alien: Covenant.

Ever since they announced Danny McBride was going to be in it I got really stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Immortan posted:

I'm loving stoked for Alien: Covenant.

Happens 10 years after prometheus and the main actress is not returning, lol.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I hope the Blomkamp movie still happens

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

boom boom boom posted:

I hope the Blomkamp movie still happens

According to Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn in interviews like last week, it's still happening - it's just been postponed until after Covenant comes out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only way I'd be down with Blomkamp's fan fiction, is if he makes Newt the bad guy who runs W-Y.

Mostly because the passing the torch thing is lame as hell. Ripley owns, but she's one of a kind.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Tenzarin posted:

Happens 10 years after prometheus and the main actress is not returning, lol.

Your point?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CelticPredator posted:

The only way I'd be down with Blomkamp's fan fiction, is if he makes Newt the bad guy who runs W-Y.

Mostly because the passing the torch thing is lame as hell. Ripley owns, but she's one of a kind.

She literally isn't.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

boom boom boom posted:

She literally isn't.

:haw:

But that's for another time!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

boom boom boom posted:

She literally isn't.

Took me a minute. :golfclap:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!
Bringing her back as a clone hybridized with the Alien itself could be read as a clever take on the character's identification with the franchise as a brand.

I have no idea, because I haven't actually seen Ressurection. I do know that I'm not really enthused with another film staring the same character.

David is basically the only character I want to see more of, mostly because he is optimally programmed for chewing scenery :haw:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Ripley was done by the end of Alien 3. Really, her plot arc tied up nicely with Aliens, but Alien 3 was bold in tearing that down and stating emphatically that you don't ever get a happy ending when you gently caress around in the cosmos. In many ways, it tied back to Alien's Lovecraftian roots in that regard, though this time with a lot more Christian symbolism and abortion metaphors.

To me, Alien 3 really ties the series together in a way in that it continues the character arc in a thematic way. It helps that Weaver stayed consistently good along the way, of course. The Ellen Ripley character arc can be boiled down to:

Alien: Encounters a space rapist. Fights back, but loses all of her friends.
Aliens: Attempts to move past her encounter, but desires closure. Proceeds to prosecute the space rapist, after a long and grueling ordeal, she wins.
Alien 3: I just found out I'm pregnant by the space rapist. Now all my friends are gone, I want to abort my space rapist baby or kill myself but I'm surrounded by religious folks who tell me to hang on for a higher power.

This is an utterly gross oversimplification, but the theme of abortion, post-traumatic stress and suicide are key notes to the character arc in Alien 3 and tie very neatly into the themes of the previous films. On the other hand:

Alien Resurrection: I tried to abort it but the government made me have the space rapists' baby against my will, and now I recognize it as my own child.

Hang on, rewatching A:R due to a joke post that now invested in. Pray for me, because this movie is terrible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Ripley as a clone/xeno hybrid was a solid idea, the movie just has several other problems that make it a tough watch.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CelticPredator posted:

They need to get away from Ripley. Ripley had a great story in Alien and Aliens. But it was a completed story. I know some people itt think that it needed a depressing abortion by suicide because everything is terrible, but either way, Ripley's story is complete. If they're gonna keep making Alien movies, they need different lead characters. A female lead is a good idea, imo, because that's a hallmark of the franchise. Newt is the only other major female character, so there you go. makes sense to me

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Introducing a new female protagonist worked perfectly well in Prometheus, there's no reason we need to have anyone back from Alien or Aliens other than fan service.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Basebf555 posted:

Introducing a new female protagonist worked perfectly well in Prometheus, there's no reason we need to have anyone back from Alien or Aliens other than fan service.

Prometheus is a prequel. Blomkamp's Alien 3(?) is a sequel. Sequels generally feature returning characters from the previous movie. It happens all the time, it's actually unusual for a sequel not to feature any returning characters. Lethal Weapon 4, for example, brings back several characters from Lethal Weapon 3.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!
I also think that creatures that are related to, but not identical with, the original Alien was a good idea in Prometheus. The concept sort of loses its impact over multiple movies when you know exactly what the threat is. Obviously you want there to be a solid connection to the original, but I think they took the slasher logic a little too far at the expense of cosmic horror.

Despite considering the her arc completed, I'd also watch Ripley vs Predator. No need for the Alien. There's some thematic room someone could explore in having her to face the male fear of emasculation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

boom boom boom posted:

Prometheus is a prequel. Blomkamp's Alien 3(?) is a sequel. Sequels generally feature returning characters from the previous movie. It happens all the time, it's actually unusual for a sequel not to feature any returning characters. Lethal Weapon 4, for example, brings back several characters from Lethal Weapon 3.

Yes thank you for explaining to me what a sequel is.

Rules are made to be broken, especially after there has already been three sequels.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Basebf555 posted:

Yes thank you for explaining to me what a sequel is.

Rules are made to be broken, especially after there has already been three sequels.

Like making a side character from the previous movie into the main character?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!
Sequels are also, as a general rule subject to exceptions, not very good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

boom boom boom posted:

Like making a side character from the previous movie into the main character?

Exactly. So hey, as long as we're being creative and not doing things by the numbers, why not create a completely new protagonist that can stand on their own? You know, like Ridley Scott did.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

According to Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn in interviews like last week, it's still happening - it's just been postponed until after Covenant comes out.

So clearly postponing Covenant indefinitely is the ideal solution

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Basebf555 posted:

Exactly. So hey, as long as we're being creative and not doing things by the numbers, why not create a completely new protagonist that can stand on their own? You know, like Ridley Scott did.

Ridley Scott made a prequel, not a sequel.

Honestly, it would've been bolder if Ridley Scott had made the unborn fetus of Ripley the main character.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

boom boom boom posted:

Ridley Scott made a prequel, not a sequel.

Honestly, it would've been bolder if Ridley Scott had made the unborn fetus of Ripley the main character.

Anything to bring some body horror back into this franchise.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

So clearly postponing Covenant indefinitely is the ideal solution

Agreed, Scott has already done enough damage. He can come back in another 30 years to release another awful alien movie tied to whatever is popular 3 years after it is popular and or a meme.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

Agreed, Scott has already done enough damage. He can come back in another 30 years to release another awful alien movie tied to whatever is popular 3 years after it is popular and or a meme.

He's like 80 years old. Those of us that enjoyed Prometheus want him to get as many in as possible before the inevitable.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

He's like 80 years old. Those of us that enjoyed Prometheus want him to get as many in as possible before the inevitable.
Ridley Scott made a deal with God to live forever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Xenomrph posted:

Ridley Scott made a deal with God to live forever.

What happened when he woke God up?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It was cool. Scott brought Him a coffee.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He gave him more life, of course

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Seeing 70 yr old Sigourney Weaver fight off aliens will be almost as sad and depressing as seeing old rear end Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher doing the Star War

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Xenomrph posted:

He gave him more life, of course

There is documentary evidence to the contrary.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

zVxTeflon posted:

Seeing 70 yr old Sigourney Weaver fight off aliens will be almost as sad and depressing as seeing old rear end Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher doing the Star War

Sigourney Weaver has aged a hell of a lot more gracefully than either of those two

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

boom boom boom posted:

Sigourney Weaver has aged a hell of a lot more gracefully than either of those two
For a real wake up call, here's a video about the cast of 'Alien' recording new dialogue for Alien Isolation:

https://youtu.be/jR-Ge7dtpYA

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

boom boom boom posted:

And Ford was great in TFA. Fisher was basically only there to deliver a few lines of exposition, though. That's not really an indictment of her acting ability, though, just of the script's role for her.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Well Manicured Man posted:

And Ford was great in TFA. Fisher was basically only there to deliver a few lines of exposition, though. That's not really an indictment of her acting ability, though, just of the script's role for her.

She must of smoked so many cigarettes!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

ok but shes still old.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

zVxTeflon posted:

ok but shes still old.

Its OK for old women to be in movies.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

old people are gross. its why i will never watch the Expendables

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Another Alien sequel's going to be bad, no matter what. It'd inevitably just be a retread of the original material or a reboot with slick new CGI visuals. It'll be like how with every Batman or Spiderman film we're made to see the origin story, introduce two villains, beat said villains and get given a sequel hook. Alien would benefit greatly, I think, from being more like an anthology, with a different cast, a different situation and a radically different, self-contained story in each iteration. But that'll never happen, because if superhero movies and star wars have taught us anything, it's that the real money's in pandering to the nostalgia of millenial nerds, even though retreading the same narratives with the same characters can never and will never recapture the original experience asnd can only fall short and disappoint. Doing anything interesting is too big of a risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

TomViolence posted:

Another Alien sequel's going to be bad, no matter what. It'd inevitably just be a retread of the original material or a reboot with slick new CGI visuals. It'll be like how with every Batman or Spiderman film we're made to see the origin story, introduce two villains, beat said villains and get given a sequel hook. Alien would benefit greatly, I think, from being more like an anthology, with a different cast, a different situation and a radically different, self-contained story in each iteration. But that'll never happen, because if superhero movies and star wars have taught us anything, it's that the real money's in pandering to the nostalgia of millenial nerds, even though retreading the same narratives with the same characters can never and will never recapture the original experience asnd can only fall short and disappoint. Doing anything interesting is too big of a risk.

What would the Fury Road of Alien look like.