Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
http://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/mt-everest-nepal-17-climbers-evacuated-400-complain-altitude-sickness/

She's just not in a good mood this year after the last two years didn't chase everyone off. 10 climbers have bailed, with an additional 17 climbers and 10 HAPs getting flown out due to HAPE/HACE related sicknesses. It sounds like maybe they are having less tolerance for questionable climbers this year, maybe a bid to keep the death count low in order to help promote the region again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Rondette posted:

Behold, the lav!

They're gonna carry all the poo poo back from base camp, on a Yak. So...that's nice, I guess!

Wow, this is the wimpiest thing I've ever seen on a mountain.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Picnic Princess posted:

Wow, this is the wimpiest thing I've ever seen on a mountain.

yeah its about a 3/10 for a makeshift shitter.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the toilet might be lovely, but the tent with the widescreen lcd tv and stocked book shelf is quite nice

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
i'LL HAVE A TEA WITH ONE SUGAR PLEASE

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

That snapchat is unreal. The 21st century owns.

Nah who am I kidding.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Beastie posted:

That snapchat is unreal. The 21st century owns.

Nah who am I kidding.

I assume you're watching #everestnofilter? In a few years, maybe live streaming will be common place!

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

i'LL HAVE A TEA WITH ONE poo poo PLEASE

Fixed

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah #Everestnofilter is the one. I showed it to my mom and she was amazed. She doesn't understand the politics around Everest or how stupid it is but the tech aspect is amazing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I forget if it was mentioned but is the entire deathzone just lined with vintage poo poo?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

On Snapchat they showed a mini cell tower used for a stunt (first live cell call or something) that was just abandoned and in pieces. That wasn't above 8000m but I imagine it gets worse the higher you go.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Oh i thought he meant actual poo poo. And the short answer to that is yes, yes it is.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Alan Smithee posted:

I forget if it was mentioned but is the entire deathzone just lined with vintage poo poo?

The entire mountain is lined with poo poo.

Never going to stop linking that article in this thread.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Welp, things are going to get very interesting in the region very soon I think.

For background: after the earthquakes last year, India gave real, practical support in the form of troops, material aid, food, and so on. It bypassed the Nepali federal government and went straight to the regions that needed it. India's help was ultimately very effective, as far as that goes. China, however, just gave a bigass check for about 4 billion dollars to the Nepali government. Exactly none of that money has been used for aid, it has all vanished into the coffers of the government and its officials.

As a result, Nepali media coverage was overwhelmingly in support of the very generous Chinese donations, naturally. Though the people of Nepal generally know that this is all lies, the government is continuing to play it straight and just recalled their ambassador from India. The Nepali President had an official state visit to India planned which he cancelled without notice, and the ambassador raised concerns. This resulted in his recall.

India provides most of the real material assistance involved in rescues on Everest, especially when major disasters hit, such as the earthquake or the avalanche the year before. This is very clearly a result of tension between the Chinese-backed majority government and the India-sympathetic minority.

I'm not sure things will come to a head this year, but it's possible next year will see the live action version of that Far Cry game, as India and China fight yet another proxy war for dominance over the region.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if India doesn't provide any helicopter rescue support for Everest this year - which could result in problems.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

DumbparameciuM posted:

quote:

While there is a stigma among the Sherpas about carrying human waste, the right amount of compensation will solve the problem.

Not wanting to carry around a bucket of poo poo is some weird cultural quirk I guess

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

DumbparameciuM posted:

This is the best article, thank you for gems like this:

quote:

“The peak has become a fecal time bomb,” Outside senior editor Grayson Schaffer wrote in 2012, “and the mess is gradually sliding back toward Base Camp.”
New thread title right there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

DuckConference posted:

Not wanting to carry around a bucket of poo poo is some weird cultural quirk I guess

I would be amused if it’s not really a cultural taboo. Maybe Sherpas are no more or less averse to carrying excrement than anyone else, it’s just that they’re smart enough to take an opportunity for a well‐earned bonus when they see it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Honestly yeah the Nepalese should probably come up with something. I mean they are charging people a small fortune to climb, surely they can pay for a sherpa cleaning service every now and then

Naxuz posted:

"this summer...Hollywood has truly run out of ideas. Avalanche of poo poo directed by Roland Emmerich"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
"You thought the altitude and avalanches were killers? There's a new danger on the mountain. Attack of the Everest poo poo Zombies. "

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Tim Medvitz, king of poo poo mountain

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Outrail posted:

"You thought the altitude and avalanches were killers? There's a new danger on the mountain. Attack of the Everest poo poo Zombies. "

More like Neverest, amirite

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Buried treasure was discovered in a monastery near Everest! :toot:

Xinhua posted:

More than 5,500 coins believed to be more than 200 years old have been unearthed during renovation work in a monastery near the base of Mount Everest in Tibet.

The round coins, weighing 26.6 kg in total and bearing floral patterns, were found by workers digging a hole in Rongpo Monastery, Dingri County, on April 27.

Wang Kun, head of Dingri, told Xinhua that words on the coins suggested they were from the 18th century during the rule of the Ganden Phodrang regime.

An expert on coin studies with the People's Bank of China said documented mintage in Tibet started in 1792, when the Chinese central government's minister to Tibet oversaw the creation of the first batch of standard coins.

Rongpo monastery and Everest

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 8, 2016

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

thats a really cool shot

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

I'm not sure things will come to a head this year, but it's possible next year will see the live action version of that Far Cry game, as India and China fight yet another proxy war for dominance over the region.

Holy poo poo a war on Everest, that would be a badass idea for a movie.. Sherpas and special forces dukin it out in air so thin that helicopters cant breathe

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Lmao the Chinese are claiming they were responsible for minting the first Tibetan coins in the 1700s? What whacky revisionist history will they dream up next?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
That is a gorgeous shot of Everest.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Naxuz posted:

Reposting this story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwuw6Z33018

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ks4vqtoZ4

Here's an interesting everest story

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

tentative8e8op posted:

Buried treasure was discovered in a monastery near Everest! :toot:

Rongpo monastery and Everest

Is this the monastery Michael Palin stayed at during his Himalaya series?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Almost time to die...

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0Y110P

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

So far, so standard...........what surprises can possibly happen this year?

RKRGoat
Jun 20, 2003

So...

http://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/bad-weather-hampers-rescue-slovak-climbers-stuck-mt-everest-avalanche/

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Good start then

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Alan Arnette's Everest update for the day is titled stampede for the summit. Crowded weekend at the summit isn't necessarily a great sign.

quote:

With a narrow summit window opening, many teams are rushing to make their summit bid while many veterans are content to wait this one out. In spite of the warm temps at Everest Base Camp, the summit conditions can be deadly and a few more days can make all the difference in conditions. There are two currently anticipated summit windows: May 14-16 and May 19-20, with more to come to be sure.

Summit Chess
South African Ronnie Muhl’s Adventures Global, Seattle’s Garrett Madison’s Madison Mountaineering and the Jagged Globe team are all reported to be pushing towards the top. There are many other smaller teams hoping to draft off these efforts so we may see upwards of 100 people on this first push of the season.

As this chart shows, we are approaching the sweet spot of summit days with May 18th being the top day historically.

Timing is always a chess game for the climbers – some believe early will beat the crowds, but others will just wait and let the eager ones go first. I always found it interesting that Dave Hahn who has 15 summits and is not on Everest this year, was consistently one of the last people to summit each year. What did Dave know?

The ropes are now fixed just below the Balcony at 27,500’/8348m on the Nepal side and near 27,000’/8230m on the Tibet side. The Sherpas will fix to the summit over the next few days most likely as the teams follow them closely behind – a dangerous strategy if something goes awry with the rope fixing. You may get stalled or forced to retreat and use precious energy waiting at the South Col.

Its Always Something
Again, the season is progressing nicely with little drama – and that is a great thing!! But on Everest there is always something and I guess if one needs to find something to complain about it is the speed of the Sherpas fixing the ropes to the summit. Several small operators have made it the center piece of their Facebook and blog posts that they are being inconvenienced and delayed by rope fixers … Meanwhile other guides proudly declare that “our Sherpas have fixed the ropes …”

For the record, IMG notes that Sherpas from these teams are fixing the lies: Altitude Junkies, Icelandic, Summit Climb, Himalayan Holidays, 7 Summits, Alpine Ascents, Happy Feet, Satori, Jagged Globe, Adventure Consultants, Asian Trek, Ascent Himalaya, Himex, Madison, Arun Trek, 7 Summits, Himalayan Expeditions, and IMG. That is 18 of the 34 teams on Everest this year.

Climbers Caught in Snow Avalanche
The two Slovakia climbers aiming to summit via the rarely climbed South West Face were caught in a snow avalanche while climbing just after the recent heavy snowfall. The Himalayan reports one climber is injured and needs rescue but helicopters have been stopped by bad weather.

Note this is NOT the normal Southeast Ridge route even thou they ascend from just above Camp 2 in the Western Cwm. The climbers are Vladimír Štrba and Zoltán Pál. They are the only climbers on Everest this year not using one of the two normal routes.

Illness Takes Toll
I’ve commented on this before but it is worth repeating that many teams have lost multiple members. Madison Mountaineering says they have seen 3 of their 9 members leave due to medical reasons. Of course, I left our Altitude Junkies team with a upper respiratory infection. TA Loffler is in Kathmandu with HAPE, Furtenbach Adventures lost one of their seven members early on, Summit Climb lost a couple as have IMG and Himex and the list goes on and on.

From what I can determine, none of these are a result of poor hygiene or any issue with how the expedition is being run but rather the result of altitude, ‘normal’ illness or just bad luck. In any event, the remaining climbers have been reduced from 289 to somewhere in the 225 range making the mountain a bit less crowded.

Since 2000 according to the Himalayan Database, the typical member summit success rate is around 56% for members (foreigners, not Sherpas) who reach base camp: 1,728 summits for 3,624 who reached base camp on the Nepal side. The last time we saw member summit numbers under 100 from the Nepal side was in 2006 with 88 member summits. The most for both sides, members plus Sherpas, was in 2007 at 632 .

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I'll count them as gone, 7 more to go.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

So, we get anyone bitching about the death pool this year?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Utmost Adventure is the same outfit that the Canadian lady went with. I guess it's hard to get bad reviews if you kill your clients.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

DicktheCat posted:

So, we get anyone bitching about the death pool this year?
If you have money on it I'll start for a small cut.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Utmost Adventure is the same outfit that the Canadian lady went with. I guess it's hard to get bad reviews if you kill your clients.

"Yak milk was not vegan, get with the times. No wonder the Sherpa people are struggling to make ends meet. This yelper will never be going to Everest ever again!"

One star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Ultimate Adventure seems a better name