Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I haven't seen Wired but it sounds like a hit piece

There's really no other way to describe it. Like it'd be bad enough if it just made Belushi out to be a shambling wreck 24/7, but there's so many moments where they seem to just be gleefully mocking a dead man who made so many people laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

There's really no other way to describe it. Like it'd be bad enough if it just made Belushi out to be a shambling wreck 24/7, but there's so many moments where they seem to just be gleefully mocking a dead man who made so many people laugh.

You mean like make him seem like a completely unprofessional during Animal House when everyone else says he was, or including helicopter sounds when Landis like director leaves a room.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bobkatt013 posted:

including helicopter sounds when Landis like director leaves a room.

This is about the only thing in Wired that I'm willing to get behind, because gently caress John Landis

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The worst parts are Belushi acting alone in an empty set on SNL because they couldn't get rights to anyone alive. Or Landis micromanaging every single action Belushi does when grabbing for food because Belushi isn't funny on his own.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

I'm imagining a modern version of Wired where Hugh Dancy portrays a talentless, boozing scumbag Robin Williams, who everyone secretly hated.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I haven't seen Wired but it sounds like a hit piece

It had a really hot pinball machine...just beautiful. Otherwise it was a mess. There was a My Year Of Flops on it.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This is about the only thing in Wired that I'm willing to get behind, because gently caress John Landis

gently caress his son too

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

gently caress his son too

He's a tool but not yet a murderer, so he gets a little more slack from me.

Also, American Ultra isn't a great movie but it's pretty fun to watch with a few tall glasses of water, especially if you like spectacular deaths with everyday objects (and Jesse Eisenberg doing his lovably awkward shtick rather than being Lex Luthor).

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Still, I don't think some forgotten movie has tarnished Belushis legacy at all. He's still legit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Still, I don't think some forgotten movie has tarnished Belushis legacy at all. He's still legit.

Or the book.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It didn't even tarnish Bob Woodward's legacy and he wrote the book.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Does anyone remember the semi ongoing joke about nerds complaining about something and then having sex with their mom? For some reason "Mom! Get in here!" popped in my head but I couldn't remember the rest of it.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Violator posted:

Does anyone remember the semi ongoing joke about nerds complaining about something and then having sex with their mom? For some reason "Mom! Get in here!" popped in my head but I couldn't remember the rest of it.

That's from the Daredevil episode I think?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Specifically it's making their mom jerk them off

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
http://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/id/4338898

Waterworld is up. I loved that as a kid.

Violator
May 15, 2003

ghost emoji posted:

That's from the Daredevil episode I think?

Yep, you were right. I remember cracking up the first time I heard the episode but for some reason I thought it was from much longer ago.

Gave the episode a re-listen, and interestingly they have a few extended bits talking about how terrible they expect BvS to be. Andrew says he wants to buy a ticket for another movie and sneak in to see it because he doesn't want to support it, Eric decides "I want to see it but it can't be good", and Steve says "Batman vs Superman: Who ever wins we lose." And the consensus is that Zack Synder smells like farts. But Andrew does enjoy that Daredevil kills and that's a hero right up his alley, but Steve and Eric disagree.

Aaaaaaaaand I'm the nerd they make fun of.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Violator posted:

Does anyone remember the semi ongoing joke about nerds complaining about something and then having sex with their mom?

Violator posted:

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, I kinda dug my own hole here. :gonk:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I kinda want to relisten to Daredevil since I finally saw the show, and I remember they spent like half the episode talking about it.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Man, I just can't do these lives episodes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The problem with Woodward's WIRED is that people just took it as gospel and came away thinking that's what Belushi was like. The thing is, Woodward isn't actually incorrect; events happen in the way he tells them. He just either doesn't put things into context or seems to completely misconstrue what people have told him.

This piece, from a Belushi biographer, is actually a pretty good look at it: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2013/03/bob_woodward_and_gene_sperling_what_woodward_s_john_belushi_book_can_tell.html

quote:

Take the filming of the famous cafeteria scene from Animal House, which Belushi totally improvised on set with no rehearsal. What you see in the film is the first and last time he ever performed that scene. Here’s the story as recounted by Belushi’s co-star James Widdoes:

One of the things that was so spectacular to watch during the filming was the incredible connection that [Belushi] and Landis had. During the scene on the cafeteria line, Landis was talking to Belushi all the way through it, and Belushi was just taking it one step further. What started out as Landis saying, “Okay, now grab the sandwich,” became, in John’s hands, taking the sandwich, squeezing and bending it until it popped out of the cellophane, sucking it into his mouth, and then putting half the sandwich back. He would just go a little further each time.

Co-star Tim Matheson remembered that John “did the entire cafeteria line scene in one take. I just stood by the camera, mesmerized.” Other witnesses agree. Every person who recounted that incident to me used it as an example of Belushi’s virtuoso talent and his great relationship with his director. Landis could whisper suggestions to Belushi on the fly, and he’d spin it into comedy gold.

Now here it is as Woodward presents it:

Landis quickly discovered that John could be lazy and undisciplined. They were rehearsing a cafeteria scene, a perfect vehicle to set up Bluto’s insatiable cravings. Landis wanted John to walk down the cafeteria line and load his tray until it was a physical burden. As the camera started, Landis stood to one side shouting: “Take that! Put that in your pocket! Pile that on the tray! Eat that now, right there!”

John followed each order, loading his pockets and tray, stuffing his mouth with a plate of Jello in one motion.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Holy poo poo the novelization of Waterworld

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

DrVenkman posted:

The problem with Woodward's WIRED is that people just took it as gospel and came away thinking that's what Belushi was like. The thing is, Woodward isn't actually incorrect; events happen in the way he tells them. He just either doesn't put things into context or seems to completely misconstrue what people have told him.

This piece, from a Belushi biographer, is actually a pretty good look at it: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2013/03/bob_woodward_and_gene_sperling_what_woodward_s_john_belushi_book_can_tell.html

Basically the writer takes someone who already had a sensational life and sensationalizes it further, because I guess otherwise people wouldn't want to read about the life story of one of the greatest comedians of his time.

Now I want them to watch The Babe Ruth Story biopic, which is the opposite extreme as Wired, and involves Babe healing a paralyzed child.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

dijon du jour posted:

Basically the writer takes someone who already had a sensational life and sensationalizes it further, because I guess otherwise people wouldn't want to read about the life story of one of the greatest comedians of his time.

Now I want them to watch The Babe Ruth Story biopic, which is the opposite extreme as Wired, and involves Babe healing a paralyzed child.

It was also the idea that drugs are bad and they will destroy you. Yeah there are smear jobs and then their are ones where they ignore all a persons failings.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

dijon du jour posted:

That's unusual because John Goodman did a Babe Ruth biopic which is almost as negative as Wired, although it admits Ruth was good at what he did.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-babe-1992

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Atheistdeals.com posted:

I'm imagining a modern version of Wired where Hugh Dancy portrays a talentless, boozing scumbag Robin Williams, who everyone secretly hated.

There's actually enough material for something like this though, there's a lot of bad blood between Williams and other comedians because he stole jokes on top of doing hackish coke-fueled crowd work and impersonations and generally being hard to work with.

I'm not a big fan of Tim & Eric but their sketch where they hire a Robin Williams impersonator and have to treat him like an unruly dog because he's scampering around and making his "ah! oh! uh! huh!" grunts is great.

Violator posted:

Going by your username they did an entire episode making fun of you :v:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Corek posted:

That's unusual because John Goodman did a Babe Ruth biopic which is almost as negative as Wired, although it admits Ruth was good at what he did.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-babe-1992

The Babe Ruth Story makes more sense when you realize that it was quickly thrown together when the real Babe Ruth was hospitalized with cancer. The biopic even has a hopeful ending where the doctors discover a new treatment to try out and it ends with a "You know, maybe, just maybe, things will be okay after all." (Babe Ruth died less than one month after the movie was released)

I imagine that the unsavory aspects of Babe's life were ignored because, you know, cancer patient, but the movie is still pretty absurd in how far it goes in the opposite direction. Like, as far as the biopic is concerned, Babe Ruth only got married once. His first IRL wife just doesn't exist; she isn't even given a passing mention.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

dijon du jour posted:

The Babe Ruth Story makes more sense when you realize that it was quickly thrown together when the real Babe Ruth was hospitalized with cancer. The biopic even has a hopeful ending where the doctors discover a new treatment to try out and it ends with a "You know, maybe, just maybe, things will be okay after all." (Babe Ruth died less than one month after the movie was released)

I imagine that the unsavory aspects of Babe's life were ignored because, you know, cancer patient, but the movie is still pretty absurd in how far it goes in the opposite direction. Like, as far as the biopic is concerned, Babe Ruth only got married once. His first IRL wife just doesn't exist; she isn't even given a passing mention.

There's a scene where he cures paralysis with his mere presence, it's great.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Violator posted:

Yep, you were right. I remember cracking up the first time I heard the episode but for some reason I thought it was from much longer ago.

Gave the episode a re-listen, and interestingly they have a few extended bits talking about how terrible they expect BvS to be. Andrew says he wants to buy a ticket for another movie and sneak in to see it because he doesn't want to support it, Eric decides "I want to see it but it can't be good", and Steve says "Batman vs Superman: Who ever wins we lose." And the consensus is that Zack Synder smells like farts. But Andrew does enjoy that Daredevil kills and that's a hero right up his alley, but Steve and Eric disagree.

Well it's not like they were wing on this one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Aw man. The audio quality on this week's episode makes it unlistenable. :(

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Detective No. 27 posted:

Aw man. The audio quality on this week's episode makes it unlistenable. :(

The live episodes are pretty much always unlistenable (sound quality-wise) poo poo.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
I'm usually super sensitive to audio issues (I will avoid most live episodes of most shows), and I found this to be only a bit below their usual quality. I was using lovely $8 ear buds on a desktop.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This is at least much better sounding than the Cliffhanger and Masters of the Universe live shows.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Yeah, this one seemed fine? I mean obviously it doesn't sound as nice as a regular episode but it was still pretty listenable.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Green Lantern sounded pretty good, but I couldn't make it five minutes with Waterworld.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah Green Lantern was the best acoustically but Waterworld isn't that bad. It's still listenable imho.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I didn't have any problems either, I do wonder if maybe your podcast player might have some equalizer setting that could be loving it up for you.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Just wanna say, if you skip this, you're missing some great "Eric reads the Waterworld novelization aloud" action.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There's a scene where he cures paralysis with his mere presence, it's great.

Become acquainted with the bizarre film world of Neil Breen and see Neil-Breen-self-insert use a magic stone taken from a dying hobo to cure a child of cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_eSGhRCdgo

There is no emoticon magical enough for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Thanks to this show I'm constantly posting 'DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES AND BURN THROUGH THE WITCHES' under every link to the new Radiohead song.