Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That was really good. Cant wait to give it a proper listen once home with better speakers than my work poo poo.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
This song is really drat good, can't wait to hear the rest of the album!

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
They missed a trick by not having Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble & Grub extinguish the fire at the end the video.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Enjoying the song more on subsequent listens. The video is cool, but was a little distracting the first listen through.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I like the verse but the chorus falls really flat for me - I think it needs a change of instrumentation there. Thom sings a long sustained high note and the reverb gets cranked up but the strings continue basically unchanged. This is one of those tracks that will probably sound better live because the band will be reacting to one another, as opposed to Thom singing over a prerecorded Johnny Greenwood recording.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

There's some Penderecki like strings in the second half of the song (I'm seeing it as two halves)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I like the song but it was pretty low key.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Nice song and video. Not blowing me away or anything but I'm happy to hear that Thom has gotten out of his boring minimal techno phase.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Original but you got it with Trumpton, it's very very much like the style of...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MN0BXuXIa8
Camberwick Green,
The design of people and general look

http://singasongofsixpence.com/ has the embossed bear logo:

Not sure if anyone has picked this up yet but the date "6.2.2016" is hidden in the page source so that's when the album is coming out I guess

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

That site is a fake, according to reddit.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

HorseRenoir posted:

Nice song and video. Not blowing me away or anything but I'm happy to hear that Thom has gotten out of his boring minimal techno phase.

Not sure if anyone has picked this up yet but the date "6.2.2016" is hidden in the page source so that's when the album is coming out I guess

I think of it more that he got into ambient drone and rather than be a trailblazer he tried to imitate Swans and Stars of the Lid, and failed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Loved the song but I wish Thom's vocals were pushed to the forefront a bit more. They get a bit drowned out.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
According to an interview conducted with Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich, the song was worked on during the sessions for Kid A, Hail to the Thief, and In Rainbows.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Something about the vocal makes the song seem quite same-y all the way through, to my ears at least. I'd love to hear an instrumental version.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Wow I actually really liked that song right away, a lot of energy.

V excited for the rest

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I wonder if the limited live dates are because it's gonna be a really string heavy album and difficult to tour without carting a ton of musicians around?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Tenterhooks posted:

I wonder if the limited live dates are because it's gonna be a really string heavy album and difficult to tour without carting a ton of musicians around?

I was thinking this. The set would be worth it..

Pyramid Song
Reckoner
Burn the Witch
How to Disappear
Etc.

Could just be a four piece string section. Doubt they will have an orchestra.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Goons, what're those strings (particularly at the beginning) reminding me of? I swear I've heard something similar in a Final Fantasy game or somewhere.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

I kept hearing that the single would be released on streaming services at midnight, but it's already on iTunes, Google Play, and Spotify. I wonder if we'll get an album announcement at midnight instead.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Why not just hire local orchestra's then? Would be amazing.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Real Name Grover posted:

Goons, what're those strings (particularly at the beginning) reminding me of? I swear I've heard something similar in a Final Fantasy game or somewhere.

The technique is pizzicato

Reminded me of Trees by Pulp!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvkiAw0ZIw4

Vintersorg posted:

Why not just hire local orchestra's then? Would be amazing.

Hopefully :) It would be a nice gesture to those local musicians.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

WASTE PAGE UPDATED!

https://store.wasteheadquarters.com/products/burn-the-witch

No bsides...

WAV :)

Purchased, this feels good!

Mix is really clear in the WAV.

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 3, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Steve2911 posted:

Loved the song but I wish Thom's vocals were pushed to the forefront a bit more. They get a bit drowned out.

This is much better in the actual single. Hurray.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

The strings are fantastic especially around the two minute mark. Chills.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
Seeing Pitchfork cover new Radiohead reminds me of this timeless classic: http://www.somethingawful.com/fakesa/richdork/

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

modestmusashi posted:

Seeing Pitchfork cover new Radiohead reminds me of this timeless classic: http://www.somethingawful.com/fakesa/richdork/

Wow, blast from the past. So good. Thanks for the reminder :allears:

Love the song, I think I've listened to it more already than anything from King of Limbs. :I

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

This isn't what you're thinking of, but it definitely reminds me of the strings in this live version of "Never Stop" by Echo & the Bunnymen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTm5KzBvRqk

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Real Name Grover posted:

Reminds me of the string quartet tribute to Be Quiet and Drive by Deftones, although its not actually that similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuLLekgh3xc

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Today huh. Great new video, a new song to love, done in a direction I anticipated, wanted, that still surprised me (you can predict a style but not the actual song - I never spoiled Burn the Witch for myself). And most everywhere is going crazy with praise.

Today was a good day :)

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Real Name Grover posted:

Godspeed You Black Emperor

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Real Name Grover posted:

At first I scoffed at this post, but then I realized you might be thinking of Final Fantasy the artist, a.k.a. Owen Pallett from the Arcade Fire. He released an album called He Poos Clouds under the moniker Final Fantasy that's pretty heavy on stacatto strings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuzmxuGIjw0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfw_X-rtJ70

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 3, 2016

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm really liking this. Strikes a better balance between rock energy and painstaking studio craft than most of what they've been doing for a decade or so. (Not that I've been down on any of it; this is just better.)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
To be honest, I felt like energy was the one thing it really lacked myself. I was very much not looking forward to it before listening, put it on, 20 seconds in I was like "hey this is actually really nice stuff". But by the end I was kinda like, that's it? To me the whole song felt like it was building up to something and then ended instead. Listening to it again knowing that, I liked it better but I still kinda feel it's a good song that lacked a crescendo or at least some kinda change-up to be a GREAT song.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Just heard Burn the Witch on terrestrial radio. My day is made,

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Strings are same style as There Will Be Blood and that made me happy. Looking forward to the album.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Insurrectionist posted:

To be honest, I felt like energy was the one thing it really lacked myself. I was very much not looking forward to it before listening, put it on, 20 seconds in I was like "hey this is actually really nice stuff". But by the end I was kinda like, that's it? To me the whole song felt like it was building up to something and then ended instead. Listening to it again knowing that, I liked it better but I still kinda feel it's a good song that lacked a crescendo or at least some kinda change-up to be a GREAT song.

The strings do change at the panic attack line, and the style gets denser at the end, the bass changes, in an intelligent way

Anyone just going by youtube should check out the details on the WAV

The vocals are Thom's best in a long time

Pitchfork do a good review

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/18235-radiohead-burn-the-witch/

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 3, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

ZoDiAC_ posted:

The strings do change at the panic attack line, and the style gets denser at the end, the bass changes, in an intelligent way

Yeah, the strings around the middle part are definitely excellent.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Gotta listen on a system with good bass for sure. Otherwise it's just A String Quartet Tribute To Radiohead.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Definitely feels like a more evolved King of Limbs song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Pitchfork do a good review

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/18235-radiohead-burn-the-witch/

quote:

It’s not since Kid A standout “How to Disappear Completely” that Radiohead have created a song this simultaneously unsettling and gorgeous.

Pyramid Song would like a word