Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

You guys didn't discuss the proposed title of the Whitlock-Cowherd show: ALL TAKES MATTER

I'm not kidding. That's the proposed title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

You guys didn't discuss the proposed title of the Whitlock-Cowherd show: ALL TAKES MATTER

I'm not kidding. That's the proposed title.

you've been deadspinned

quote:

Despite this, they will be the new hosts of a Fox Sports show tentatively titled Speak For Yourself. (There’s still time for Fox to take up our suggestion to just cut to the chase and call it All Takes Matter; they can have that one for free.)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

you've been deadspinned
Well damnit

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/jerodbrown62/status/727163808431542272

Uhhhhhhhhhhh what the heck?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

They need an arm with experience to lead them back to the big game.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

MourningView posted:

Al Michaels is still working so Joe Buck is not even particularly close to being to best lead play by play guy calling games for a major network

Sorry, I was thinking about the foreseeable future rather than the present. I'm with you on Al Michaels. For all we know Al might go another 15 years, but part of me doubts it.

quote:

That is a disgusting act.

That was over a decade ago astonishingly. He's managed to call a few reasonable ballgames between then and now.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

"Now Colin, Trent here is going to tell you absolutely everything he knows. All you need to remember is to do the exact opposite and you'll be solid."

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Badfinger posted:

For all we know Al might go another 15 years, but part of me doubts it.

Tirico didn't leave MNF/ESPN to just do Olympics/Thursday Night Football. I imagine he's got a decent pay or play clause if he doesn't get the SNF job because Al wants to keep going.

On the other hand NBC has a rich history of loving up high-profile transitions so this could be another log on the fire.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I think I'm in the minority in that I like collinsworth's commentary a lot but I feel like Mike tirico is not going to be a good match with him. Yeah he knows his stuff but al Michaels comes across a bit more good-natured and maybe makes collinsworth a bit more palatable just by being there. Tirico doesn't have that quality; I feel like gruden basically trampled him in the booth. An unchecked collinsworth might be a bit too technical/haughty for your average viewer.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Fox Sports turned down Curt Schilling, per Deadspin.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The Dilfer thing is 100% made up and already old news.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
From Richard Deitsch's recent mailbag:

quote:

Is [Brad] Nessler to CBS a done deal? — Armand Broady.

Not yet, I’m told, but he’s definitely looking outside ESPN given he was pushed in that direction by not getting the assignments he wanted. I imagine he will end up at CBS and if/when he does, full marks to Fox Sports who reported the possibility first.

Makes sense for Nessler, he's been kind of lost in the shuffle at ESPN and this is a prime opportunity for him to replace Verne on the coveted SEC Game of the Week. He could also cover NFL games, which he wouldn't get to do at ESPN if McDonough gets the MNF gig.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Benne posted:

From Richard Deitsch's recent mailbag:

Makes sense for Nessler, he's been kind of lost in the shuffle at ESPN and this is a prime opportunity for him to replace Verne on the coveted SEC Game of the Week. He could also cover NFL games, which he wouldn't get to do at ESPN if McDonough gets the MNF gig.

Wasn't Nessler doing the NFL Network games that CBS didn't have? Or is that a non-factor with CBS/NBC doing Thursdays?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

C. Everett Koop posted:

Wasn't Nessler doing the NFL Network games that CBS didn't have? Or is that a non-factor with CBS/NBC doing Thursdays?

He did TNF with Mayock for a few years when it was NFLN-exclusive, but when CBS took over the production in 2014 it was all Nantz/Simms.

Benne fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 4, 2016

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Nessler rules. I hope he gets to do more than be on the ESPN2 afternoon college game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just gonna leave this here
https://twitter.com/garbagetime/status/728071956369526784

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
The. Best.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

I need a :3: combined with :thurman:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That rules a lot.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN is going to run an 18-24 month ad campaign attacking social media and streaming sites like Netflix and Hulu

quote:

The commercials don’t mention the social outlets by name, but it seems clear that ESPN is tilting at Netflix, Amazon, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. “Sharing your life can wait,” one ad tells viewers, “because it’s just like everyone else’s.”

This will totally end well. Totally. :munch:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

They've already started during these NBA playoffs. An algorithm can't compete with the Warriors game!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
OK I get Netflix and whatever but me and just about everyone I know livetweets whatever sports event they are watching (via who knows what means, though)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I get the attack on Netflix/Hulu but everyone and their mother posts statuses and tweets during games these days. poo poo, the NBA encourages the hell out of it in their own marketing.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ray Lewis and Cris Carter are the newest ESPN casualties

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Ray Lewis, Mike Ditka and Cris Carter are out. ESPN added Matt Hasselbeck, Charles Woodson and Randy Moss to take their place.

This is all Very Good News.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sean McDonough has also been officially named new PBP announcer for Monday Night Football.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I take it the guys they cut are probably a bit more expensive but if they're trying to cut costs why are they replacing people 1-to-1 for telecasts that have way too many people on them to begin with?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I take it the guys they cut are probably a bit more expensive but if they're trying to cut costs why are they replacing people 1-to-1 for telecasts that have way too many people on them to begin with?

They're likely bringing the new ones in on lower contracts than what they've done in the past.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ESPN is so out of touch with what's happening today.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

So wait, whenever something of significance happens, are they going to stop reading athlete's Twitter posts about it? Or are we just supposed to accept that part?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

Ray Lewis, Mike Ditka and Cris Carter are out. ESPN added Matt Hasselbeck, Charles Woodson and Randy Moss to take their place.

The budget cuts continue to own.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

CaptainYesterday posted:

Fox Sports turned down Curt Schilling, per Deadspin.

Maybe he can find a gig at Fox News.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Benne posted:

I like Carter just fine (almost entirely homer bias), but Ditka and Lewis ham get the hell out, and those are some excellent replacements, plus it's weirdly fitting they're switching Carter for Moss.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

Sean McDonough has also been officially named new PBP announcer for Monday Night Football.

Immediately after Tirico was officially introduced by NBC

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/729735853866688512

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Retail Slave posted:

So wait, whenever something of significance happens, are they going to stop reading athlete's Twitter posts about it? Or are we just supposed to accept that part?

No no, see, they'll curate it for you so it's so much better of an experience.

Though I won't say they're the worst on that, loving NFLN's draft coverage was rotten with twitter and fantasy football segments.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The best part about ESPN going after Social Media is that this is the same place that:

• Devoted entire segments of SportsCenter to Twitter recreations of DeAndre Jordan's dunk over Brandon Knight
  • Regularly includes social media reactions to major stories as part of their reporting
  • Uses Tweets to help determine their top ten plays of the night
  • Discusses social media metrics and Tweets/minute that happen during major sporting events
  • Employs Darren Rovell, who created social media accounts for his daughter the day she was born

Feel free to add

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Harlock posted:

Ray Lewis and Cris Carter are the newest ESPN casualties
ALL HE DOES IS CATCH PINK SLIPS!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Guys who have been on-air for quite some time have escalator clauses built into their contracts. It's cheaper to put the ax to someone who's been on ESPN for a decade, like Ditka, and replace him with someone who can be paid a relatively entry-level salary.

Niwrad posted:

ESPN is so out of touch with what's happening today.

That's what happens when you put a print guy in charge of a company that needs to embrace new media in order to survive. Skipper is probably the worst person they could have running the show right now.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

They'd better get LeBron James involved in some way just to be extra contradictory.