Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Corek posted:

What happened to LegendaryFrog? When I was 10 he was the king of Newgrounds - he must have faded into total irrelevance.

(The only other guy I remember is Egoraptor, who is now a Youtube sensation that pays other people to animate for him).

He changed his name to Toonwerks

Recently he's been making Lloyd, an animated series about the Cinema Snob's cat who's a detective that helps solve the problems of exploitation movie characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

It'd be nice if internet VO people could at least have recording situations where their audio is of remotely similar quality. I mean, yeah there's a lot more wrong with this, but that kind of thing consistently bugs me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Youtube overtook flash animation in general. It's way easier to put out videos than animations. Egoraptor only survived because he doesn't do animation anymore, he's just an LP superstar.

Hell, abridged series have managed to make more of a foothold on youtube than flash.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Corek posted:

What happened to LegendaryFrog? When I was 10 he was the king of Newgrounds - he must have faded into total irrelevance.

(The only other guy I remember is Egoraptor, who is now a Youtube sensation that pays other people to animate for him).

still lol @ the psp squirrel

I'll shoot you three times! I'll shoot you 3 times!

frank.club fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 28, 2016

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Zombo.com going strong after 15 years

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I remember the Super Flash Bros, and the Decline of Video Gaming series, which was literally Family Guy But About Video Games. They moved on to game development, it seems.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
In actual news, DreamWorks Animation is apparently near to being acquired by Comcast. The big attractions are its TV division and its Dreamworks Classics IP library.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/breaking-comcast-talks-buy-dreamworks-animation-139155.html

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That's going to be a headache for Netflix.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jesus Christ, that Gumball episode ended on an existential nightmare.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The DreamWorks acquisition by Comcast has indeed gone through, for $3.8 billion dollars.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/done-deal-comcast-buys-dreamworks-animation-3-8-billion-139201.html

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Isn't Dreamworks in a huge financial mess that they're nowhere near emerging from?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pakled posted:

Isn't Dreamworks in a huge financial mess that they're nowhere near emerging from?

Yep. From what I've heard they're mostly interested in Dreamworks' rights library.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
With the Dreamworks purchase, NBCUni not only gets access to Shrek, Madagascar, How to Train Your Dragon, and Kung Fu Panda, but also everything in the Dreamworks Classics portfolio, which includes Casper, Lassie, Little Golden Books, Pat the Bunny, Olivia, Peter Cottontail, Postman Pat, Veggietales, The Lone Ranger, Volton, Where’s Waldo, Baby Huey, Richie Rich, Little Lulu, George of the Jungle, Crusader Rabbit, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Dick Tracy, Brenda Starr, Gasoline Alley, Broom-Hilda, Gumby, Felix the Cat, Underdog, Gerald McBoingBoing, and Roger Ramjet, to name just a few. This is a massive boon for NBCUniversal, which previously owned just a handful of properties, like Woody Woodpecker and The Land Before Time.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/first-thoughts-questions-comcast-dreamworks-deal-139210.html (Yes, Cartoon Brew again)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Corek posted:

With the Dreamworks purchase, NBCUni not only gets access to Shrek, Madagascar, How to Train Your Dragon, and Kung Fu Panda, but also everything in the Dreamworks Classics portfolio, which includes Casper, Lassie, Little Golden Books, Pat the Bunny, Olivia, Peter Cottontail, Postman Pat, Veggietales, The Lone Ranger, Volton, Where’s Waldo, Baby Huey, Richie Rich, Little Lulu, George of the Jungle, Crusader Rabbit, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Dick Tracy, Brenda Starr, Gasoline Alley, Broom-Hilda, Gumby, Felix the Cat, Underdog, Gerald McBoingBoing, and Roger Ramjet, to name just a few. This is a massive boon for NBCUniversal, which previously owned just a handful of properties, like Woody Woodpecker and The Land Before Time.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/first-thoughts-questions-comcast-dreamworks-deal-139210.html (Yes, Cartoon Brew again)

Yeah isn't the Dreamworks library like the third largest one after the Disney, and Time-Warner ones(at least for ones of American origin, I imagine quite a few companies in Japan like Toei or TMS have libraries almost as large)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
In non-Dreamworks news, the new Danger Mouse is now available on Netflix for those of us in the USA. No idea how good or bad it is.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Waffleman_ posted:

Jesus Christ, that Gumball episode ended on an existential nightmare.

The Signal? Such a good episode.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Corek posted:

I'm shocked anyone else remembers the cartoon Where's Waldo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I'm shocked anyone else remembers the cartoon Where's Waldo.
I remember it being a fun way to kill 30 minutes while I waited for something better to come into the rotation.

Kind of like the BttF cartoon.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man that last episode of gumball was :stare:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So, as I learned from watching the noontime Looney Tunes block on Boomerang, there's a Peanuts TV series premiering next week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzsoQWF-iic

The animation looks terrible, like somebody's fan-made Flash movie. I liked the movie that came out last fall and everything, but I don't think it was anything that warranted a low-budget deep-cable TV series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh my god it's like nothing but tweening

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Apparently those aren't actually new, they're just airing in North America for the first time. They're originally from France.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Bass Bottles posted:

Apparently those aren't actually new, they're just airing in North America for the first time. They're originally from France.

First Garfield and now this? C'mon France!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sometimes France puts out good-looking animation. Now is not one of those times.

I guess they figured that if they mostly just took stills that look just like the original comic and wiggled the bits of them around with flash, it'd be fine, but it doesn't work. There's a reason why when Hanna Barbera was pioneering its super cheap animation style it designed characters from the ground up to take advantage of it.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The new Loud House show is getting surprisingly good reviews, bascially calling it immediately already the best show on Nickelodeon:

http://www.avclub.com/review/crowded-loud-house-bustles-personality-235446

Corek fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 3, 2016

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Considering Nickelodeon is a wasteland right now, that's not a high bar to clear.

Chris Savino's been in so much stuff, is this his first real series that he's created? You can see the lineage from his Mickey shorts style, hopefully it works in a series.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

kefkafloyd posted:

Considering Nickelodeon is a wasteland right now, that's not a high bar to clear.

Chris Savino's been in so much stuff, is this his first real series that he's created? You can see the lineage from his Mickey shorts style, hopefully it works in a series.

He made an unsuccessful pilot years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mTtJlBkack

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Nick,
:negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6JJAgpky3o

Corek fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 3, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

kefkafloyd posted:

Savino only worked on one Mickey Mouse short. It's a good one though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCXPwJvZPVI

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Two new CN pilots

Bottom’s Butte
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0fw_rSPaQQ

Apple and Onion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EFKRo5CxhA

Corek fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 3, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

R e g u l a r s h o w . . .

I liked them both. Apple & Onion felt like a legitimate episode of a TV show, though, while Bottom's Butte felt very "piloty." They should cancel whatever stupid reboots they have planned and send these both to series instead.

Didn't like the "love interest" character in A&O though. Basically a carbon copy of the one from Regular Show, and also a super generic "kindhearted and accepting" girl with zero personality.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 3, 2016

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Eh, didn't care for Apple and Orange but then I was also the rare child that didn't care for Spongebob and this feels very much like the same "wacky gremlin neighbors". Bottom's Buttes seems a lot more interesting but then the main character seems to be a Tom Sawyer type character. No idea what to make of the peanut guy, he doesn't seem to have much personality yet.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Bottom's Butte felt more unique and that's the one I'm really rooting for tbh. The character design was adorable.

But it was definitely a pilot.

I am not so sure of the peanut's gender.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Apple and Onion was really good. It's a bit derivative of Regular Show and the art style looks a bit cheap, but the cast is stacked and it was all consistently funny throughout. Wasn't really feeling Bottom's Butte; the character designs are nice but I just found it to be kind of mean-spirited and off-putting in general.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'd like to see more of Lakewood Plaza Turbo.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I'm not feeling either, Bottom's Butte felt off (and while I didn't like the peanut character I assume it was made before Pickle and Peanut, though I also wasn't a huge fan of the character design in general) and while I was happy to hear (who I believe was) Richard Ayoade and Eugene Mirman, Apple and Onion felt like a carbon copy of Regular Show with just a few variations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Kinda funny how the one that wasn't made by a Regular Show crew member was the one more like regular show. (Minty Lewis works on Regular Show, George Gendi works on Gumball)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Eh, they're pilots. It's understandable that haven't found their voice yet. Although I recently discovered that Nickelodeon refused the pitch for (I think) Adventure Time, but gave the okay to these two.

Going back to Loud House, it seems to me that the basic concept is "the only brother in an house full of sisters, isn't it wacky?" and judging by the Wikipedia page the sisters seem like the most generic girly stereotypes from cartoon all in the same show, which seems like an incredibly unappealing and unoriginal premise to me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

raditts posted:

So, as I learned from watching the noontime Looney Tunes block on Boomerang, there's a Peanuts TV series premiering next week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzsoQWF-iic

The animation looks terrible, like somebody's fan-made Flash movie. I liked the movie that came out last fall and everything, but I don't think it was anything that warranted a low-budget deep-cable TV series.

This actually makes me angry with how loving lovely it looks considering how much I LOVED the new Peanuts movie and how good they transitioned the comic strip to CG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Apple and Onion had much better timing and made me laugh more consistently, plus the cast is drat good. The first one has a lot of the Regular Show hallmarks, though (random 80s aesthetics, inconsistent universe of species, etc.), which made it feel a little bit derivative. Plus, I don't really see the main character from Bottom's Butte being someone I feel like watching for a long time. Apart from being dumb/wacky as her primary characteristics, there's no real core to the character that makes you want to root for her in any way.