Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well seeing how badly you usually butcher words stolen from French I don't think you can fault me for wondering. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Of all the words that people constantly spell wrong this is the one that annoys me most.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Coffee

http://imgur.com/a/4tQYT

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

duckmaster posted:

Of all the words that people constantly spell wrong this is the one that annoys me most.

What, 'daaaate'?

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

What, 'daaaate'?

Broccoli.

:thejoke:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

:thejoke:

:confuoot:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
It's usually pronounced "koo-pon" in English, but I've heard other English speakers annoy Americans by facetiously pronouncing it "kyoo-pon". The joke being that Americans usually drop the Y sound in words like "tulip" etc (they say "too-lip" rather than "tyoo-lip") and it sounds really weird.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

The way some STDH writers switch to needless ALL CAPS partway through is annoying, but this one made it seem like the "comely stranger" just suddenly started shrieking at the top of his lungs, which is at least kinda funny.

TheKennedys posted:

If you're not pronouncing it "coopin" like Ron White you're doing it wrong. With a completely straight face.

Had a customer for real pronounce it like that back when I did my time in retail and I thought it was mildly rad.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I don't understand the whole broccoli date thing. Is it some movie/TV reference?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Frankly I could see a guy doing this.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's just that a sprig of broccoli happens to look like a bouquet. That's it.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Mr. Belpit posted:

The way some STDH writers switch to needless ALL CAPS partway through is annoying, but this one made it seem like the "comely stranger" just suddenly started shrieking at the top of his lungs, which is at least kinda funny.

Maybe he did

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mostlygray posted:

I know this is an old post, but, from what I can tell, the reason is because those of us that are colorblind look for context, not color.

Disruptive camo doesn't work well on me because I look for movement and context. Ghillie suites excepted, they work quite well. I couldn't tell you if moss is green or red (I'm told it is green). Apparently I can't see pink at all; I just found out when I bought a pink shirt and I thought it was white. I have a mental color called "blurple" because I cant tell blue and purple apart well.

What people forget is that colorblindness doesn't mean black and white. It means that you use context for everything. When hunting, I don't look in the woods for brown vs green vs gray vs (some color I can't see, taupe perhaps? Mauve?). I look for shape and movement. This behavior gives the bombardier the ability to ignore camouflage and simply look for patterns. Dog's can hunt just fine and they can't see poo poo. I just can't tell if the server status light is green, amber, or red. I have to have someone look for me.

My catch-phrase is "What color is this?"

BGP colorblindness TESTIFY!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Gross Dude posted:

I really hope it's me, I hope I'm the one with a date.

RareAcumen posted:

I've got a golden ticket.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Someone who describes the person they're flirting with as "a comely stranger" would probably be head over heels for the type of of person who gives out heads of broccoli instead of flowers. They will probably really like each other and can be insufferable quirky together forever.

I'm quirky, but I don't have a date OR broccoli. :sigh:

#foreveralone #FML

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mostlygray posted:

Disruptive camo doesn't work well on me because I look for movement and context. Ghillie suites excepted, they work quite well. I couldn't tell you if moss is green or red (I'm told it is green). Apparently I can't see pink at all; I just found out when I bought a pink shirt and I thought it was white. I have a mental color called "blurple" because I cant tell blue and purple apart well.

What people forget is that colorblindness doesn't mean black and white. It means that you use context for everything. When hunting, I don't look in the woods for brown vs green vs gray vs (some color I can't see, taupe perhaps? Mauve?). I look for shape and movement. This behavior gives the bombardier the ability to ignore camouflage and simply look for patterns. Dog's can hunt just fine and they can't see poo poo. I just can't tell if the server status light is green, amber, or red. I have to have someone look for me.

Exactly - the biggest misconception I hear is people who think we just see certain colors switched to different colors, when in reality it's more that certain colors are just really ambiguous. Like you mentioned with blue/purple, there are certain colors that are just "something ambiguous that I guess is some shade of blue or purple" and the same goes for a lot of red/green/browns. Light shades of grey can also be confusing; when I was a child we had a black and white TV in the kitchen and I would talk about seeing red and pink on it because I couldn't distinguish between certain shades of grey and red.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, obviously buying in bulk saves money over time, but I always hear about things where like if you buy some absurd number it dramatically lowers the overall price to where it's actually literally cheaper, and not just cheaper by the unit, to buy dozens instead of a couple.

Or how I once bought a DVD of I, Robot and basically got a Robosapien I for sales tax?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Exactly - the biggest misconception I hear is people who think we just see certain colors switched to different colors, when in reality it's more that certain colors are just really ambiguous. Like you mentioned with blue/purple, there are certain colors that are just "something ambiguous that I guess is some shade of blue or purple" and the same goes for a lot of red/green/browns. Light shades of grey can also be confusing; when I was a child we had a black and white TV in the kitchen and I would talk about seeing red and pink on it because I couldn't distinguish between certain shades of grey and red.

My exwife loved to tease me about mine.

(Certain shades of blue green and purple just all kind of get the same sort of "that's a color" for me.)

"So, you going to wear that blue shirt tonight?"
"Yeah."
<comes out later>
"Thought you were going to wear that blue shirt tonight."
<looks at shirt>
"I did."

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Ytlaya posted:

I have rod monochromacy, and it's a huge pain in the rear end to not be able to see any color at all. All my clothing has the color written on the tags, and I have a huge list in my closet of what colors match, so I don't dress like a clown in the mornings. I can shop for clothing without my fiance with me, but I have to put a lot of trust in the sales people. Also, from the research I've read about the condition, rod monochromacy isn't even all that rare; something like 1:30,000 or close to it.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I was always sort of confused about it, because I had a roommate with (cannot remember what kind) but a fairly expansive form of colorblindness who was still the only one who'd notice when I dyed my hair. I think he was basing it off shade rather than colour, which is still pretty impressive.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

My girlfriend used to work for a small claims court TV show (like Judge Judy) and they almost had a case where a man was suing his date because they didn't have sex after their first encounter. In order to appear on the show, he had to provide a breakdown of all the things that he was suing for, and he claimed to be suing for the dinner and drinks, the gas to and from the date and the toilet paper that she used when they got to his place.

It ended up never happening, because the girl canceled their first shoot date, and the guy withdrew before their second, but the "judge" seemed to think that the guy actually had a chance if he could prove that the date wasn't a gift, but an exchange of services or some kind of loan or advance (like it was implied that she'd pay him back for his half).

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

CordlessPen posted:

My girlfriend used to work for a small claims court TV show (like Judge Judy) and they almost had a case where a man was suing his date because they didn't have sex after their first encounter. In order to appear on the show, he had to provide a breakdown of all the things that he was suing for, and he claimed to be suing for the dinner and drinks, the gas to and from the date and the toilet paper that she used when they got to his place.

It ended up never happening, because the girl canceled their first shoot date, and the guy withdrew before their second, but the "judge" seemed to think that the guy actually had a chance if he could prove that the date wasn't a gift, but an exchange of services or some kind of loan or advance (like it was implied that she'd pay him back for his half).

I bet it was Judge Alex, I've seen him entertain some truly idiotic arguments.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This attempt at bullshitting remains the best Judge Judy moment ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSUXTFceilo

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

CordlessPen posted:

How? Even if it was true they made some kind of deal for sex in exchange for the date wouldn't he be admitting to prostitution?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
From elsewhere in the forums:

winterwerefox posted:

I have a little bit of my own to share.

I was at Taco Bell, first time in half a year or so and the cashier was about guy at 350 lbs. Being a goon, I used to be there. Not the fast food job, but the weight.

He turns around and I have to hold back a laugh.

His work shirt says "Because Cheese" a new Taco Bell slogan or something

My thought went to "That's not nice of Taco Bell to make him tell everyone why he is fat :("

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010

"self-checking"

They misspelled "cruciferous stranger" and nobody has a date.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is it just the perspective or are her arms loving jacked?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Libandano Urfam posted:

"self-checking"

They misspelled "cruciferous stranger" and nobody has a date.

I think the closest I've come to having a date is eating a couple of Fig Newtons.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

chitoryu12 posted:

Is it just the perspective or are her arms loving jacked?
They look normal sized but pretty muscular, not flabby.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

"I asked her if she wanted help, and she said no. Then another stranger and I kept asking over and over until she got creeped out."

Like, jesus dude, she didn't want help. Respect that and move on.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

It's usually pronounced "koo-pon" in English, but I've heard other English speakers annoy Americans by facetiously pronouncing it "kyoo-pon". The joke being that Americans usually drop the Y sound in words like "tulip" etc (they say "too-lip" rather than "tyoo-lip") and it sounds really weird.

It's not facetious it's how many people legitimately pronounce it. Hurray for dialectical differences!

Karma Comedian has a new favorite as of 06:27 on May 5, 2016

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Wizard of Smart posted:

It's not facetious it's how many people legitimately pronounce it. Hurray for dialectical differences!

I know it's also sometimes legitimately pronounced like that, but there are people who'll pronounce it a different way to be funny or annoy people who dislike a certain pronunciation. My aunt gets very annoyed if anyone says "haitch" instead of "aitch", so some relatives who would usually say "aitch" say "haitch" to grind her gears. Same thing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Those damned humans pronouncing words differently just to piss me off!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I've never encountered people doing that kind of thing to be annoying, but I have definitely known people who start using british pronunciations and britishisms, even sometimes slipping into a fake british accent after watching dr who/downton abbey/etc. In those cases I think it's reasonable to be mad at the person because they're doing it for such a stupid reason.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

H/erbs

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Murphy Brownback posted:

I've never encountered people doing that kind of thing to be annoying, but I have definitely known people who start using british pronunciations and britishisms, even sometimes slipping into a fake british accent after watching dr who/downton abbey/etc. In those cases I think it's reasonable to be mad at the person because they're doing it for such a stupid reason.

Death to all teeaboos

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
A herbal tonic for your flaccid boner

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Pats

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Are we sure it's not real? This is Boston we're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Why is this in the STDH thread? That really did happen.