Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This was good, not great. There isn't anything iconic about the Greeen Room. The characters are completely forgettable. It's got some very tense sequences but as some reviewer put it, it's a lateral move for Saulnier. Not pushing any envelopes, not doing anything new. Blue Ruin was better (barely a criticism of this film, if anything).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Loved this poo poo out of this movie, especially as a fan of hardcore/punk music for the past 15+ years. I thought it hit all the right notes, especially with the opening showing the lovely life of a touring band.

What was the text message that Tiger/the singer had sent at the beginning of the movie? I couldn't read it on the screen but wasn't sure if it was anything of importance

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I should probably take some more time to think about it but I'm pretty sure Green Room is the best movie ever made.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Saw it Saturday morning and am already planning to see it again this week. I'd heard nothing about it until Friday afternoon when I watched 30sec of a trailer before stopping it because I was 100% sold on seeing it and didn't want to ruin anything else.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Riptor posted:

Maybe next time don't post garbage shitposts without even being able to read the three sentences you're responding to

Uh....alright? Not sure why you're so offended that I brought up something interesting and glossed over one aspect of the film.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Parachute posted:

Loved this poo poo out of this movie, especially as a fan of hardcore/punk music for the past 15+ years. I thought it hit all the right notes, especially with the opening showing the lovely life of a touring band.

What was the text message that Tiger/the singer had sent at the beginning of the movie? I couldn't read it on the screen but wasn't sure if it was anything of importance

It was just him talking with the mohawk kid to get directions to his apartment, nothing huge

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Neurolimal posted:

Uh....alright? Not sure why you're so offended that I brought up something interesting and glossed over one aspect of the film.

I don't think that trying to generate a thesis about a film based on its synopsis is particularly interesting or worth sharing.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

I don't think that trying to generate a thesis about a film based on its synopsis is particularly interesting or worth sharing.

Actually I wanted to talk about 80's antifascist groups, but whatever keeps the hateboner pumped.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Your hot take, was actually a cold take. It happens.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Hey everyone, haven't seen the movie or read anything about it but why didn't the director have Hitler, arguably the most well known Nazi, in this? Please only serious responses.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Update - as a huge fan of this movie and Blue Ruin, I paid the $4 to stream Murder Party off Amazon. I'm confident in saying you guys can skip it.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Saw this last week and loved it, watched Blue Ruin last night and while it was very good I enjoyed Green Room a lot better. It may have just been that I saw Green Room in the theatre and that's almost always much better experience, but I felt that Green Room was a much tighter movie.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
This was a good movie and I really enjoyed how totally blase the blonde (ex?)neo-nazi was about her string of revenge-murders. "Got him." I also really enjoyed the line "I want to go to jail. :sigh:"

That very first time they're about to open the door for Patrick Stewart is so perfectly tense that my entire theater was dead silent. The Prince bit and the dog part at the end also got the appropriate reactions.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
In the end there was still that one dog they had the handler tie to the fence, right? Can't remember if anything happened to that one.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Parachute posted:

In the end there was still that one dog they had the handler tie to the fence, right? Can't remember if anything happened to that one.

Yeah, he was still there.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I loved this movie. I think I'm going to go see it again.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Anyone else see this at an Alamo Drafthouse? During the preshow they did ads for some cool looking old movies:
-Assault on Precinct 13
-The Siege
-Skinheads: The Second Coming of Hate
-Enemy Territory
-The Tenement

So if you liked Green Room, there are some recs

Oh, they also showed bits from The Day My Kid Went Punk, amazing,

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

Anyone else see this at an Alamo Drafthouse? During the preshow they did ads for some cool looking old movies:
-Assault on Precinct 13
-The Siege
-Enemy Territory
-The Tenement

I did! Their preshows are usually awesome. I loved that they had footage from the Ritz when it was a venue of the Dead Kennedys doing "Nazi Punks gently caress Off!". I went to an 11:10 show, so it was me and maybe 10 other people. I'd been waiting for this one for a while, and I'm glad they screened at an Alamo near me so I didn't have to drive downtown.

If I get the time, I'd like to go see it again. And I want more movies where Patrick Stewart plays a villain, because he nailed it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I love the you were so scary in the dark line. That kind of awesome/random casting with Stewart reminded me a lot of how well it was done with Al Brooks in Drive.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

-Assault on Precinct 13
-The Siege
-Enemy Territory
-The Tenement

God I wish we had something similar to the drafthouse, that sounds so cool. We just have one full-time movie theatre, a Cineplex Odeon, and it blows (and not just because they didn't pick up Green Room). There's a place that occasionally has movie nights for adults that runs out of one of those places for kids that's like part cafe and part jungle gym, but it runs really irregularly and never advertises.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think this will easily be my pick for movie of the year. The main characters reminded me of various people I know so it was hard to watch at times though.:(

I'm happy with how Patrick Stewart was used since he could have been easily distracting for a movie like this.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Patrick Stewart's death scene was surprisingly brutal, getting shot in the head with a big spurt of blood but he's still kinda conscious and able to shoot for a moment. It weirdly enough reminded me of a scene in Premium Rush, if you've seen it, you probably know already.

And seconding how great the "you were so scary in the dark" line was.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

Patrick Stewart's death scene was surprisingly brutal, getting shot in the head with a big spurt of blood but he's still kinda conscious and able to shoot for a moment.

Someone yelled "STAR TREK!" when that happened, which was probably the biggest laugh in my showing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, question, what exactly hosed up the guy with the Minor Threat shirt's arm? My girlfriend thinks it was the other band member with the... sheet metal? Whatever that was but I thought sheet metal guy was hitting the other Nazi that walked up with it and either Patrick Stewart or the other Nazi was cutting the guy's arm up.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'm pretty sure it was all the other Nazis waiting with knives and poo poo next to Patrick Stewart. You could see a bunch of them waiting just outside the door when Imogen Poots peeks out through the vent.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'm pretty sure it was all the other Nazis waiting with knives and poo poo next to Patrick Stewart. You could see a bunch of them waiting just outside the door when Imogen Poots peeks out through the vent.

It seemed like a combination of that and getting the door slammed on his arm

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dude that scene was gruesome as gently caress. I never want to see an arm like that again. And then loving duct tape.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Odds on that guy losing that arm?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Clevermuldoon posted:

Odds on that guy losing that arm?

Pretty much 100%

Definitely the hand at the very least, given it was practically falling off already

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah, I feel like it was pretty clear that there were red laces standing right next to Patrick Stewart and, keeping with the "blades only" rule that was still in effect, they had knives and/or box cutters. That's where the box cutter that Imogen used came from.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

What did you guys think about the recurring shots of the dog running back to its home and laying down next to its owner at the end of the movie?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ehud posted:

What did you guys think about the recurring shots of the dog running back to its home and laying down next to its owner at the end of the movie?

It made me sad. He was a good dog.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

You're dog doesn't care what a piece of poo poo you are.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Ehud posted:

That was one of the most heartwarming things in the movie. This and Hush both did a great job of subverting animal death expectations in horror movies, and they were better for it.

Edit: Aside from the drummer and that guy getting headshotted by the bar, was everyone else in the band killed by the dog?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Ehud posted:

Darcy might have talked a big game, but let's be honest: the dogs were the only professionals in this movie. They're even called that at one point. The event in your spoiler tags is the ultimate representation of that sense of professionalism, and a dramatic counterpoint to the immeasurable clusterfuck that's preceded it

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Parachute posted:

That was one of the most heartwarming things in the movie. This and Hush both did a great job of subverting animal death expectations in horror movies, and they were better for it.

Edit: Aside from the drummer and that guy getting headshotted by the bar, was everyone else in the band killed by the dog?

Yeah, the singer and the guitarist were both killed by the dog. The singer immediately and the guitarist after getting hit by a stray bullet in the leg. The drummer was stabbed outside and bled to death. The bassist lived.

Go bass players.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

UnknownMercenary posted:

This, but I'm pretty sure that the hand got hit by more than just a knife at the wrist, that looked like a machete. At least one other skin later has a machete, possibly the same one.

Just saw this movie tonight and I really liked it, may need time to digest it before I decide if it's a "favorite" or not but it was really good. The fact that nobody was too intelligent or too dumb (Patrick Stewart was maybe too confident in his plan and his footsoldiers) and acted like normal people really made the movie for me. The Neo-Nazis weren't portrayed as cartoon villains, you could almost see someone making a separate movie playing out from their end. I guess that ties in with Pat's anecdote about the paintball match with the Iraqi vets. Just like the vets in the story, it's kids fighting kids and both just want to kill/stay alive and get the whole thing over with.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

This, but I'm pretty sure that the hand got hit by more than just a knife at the wrist, that looked like a machete. At least one other skin later has a machete, possibly the same one.

Just saw this movie tonight and I really liked it, may need time to digest it before I decide if it's a "favorite" or not but it was really good. The fact that nobody was too intelligent or too dumb (Patrick Stewart was maybe too confident in his plan and his footsoldiers) and acted like normal people really made the movie for me. The Neo-Nazis weren't portrayed as cartoon villains, you could almost see someone making a separate movie playing out from their end. I guess that ties in with Pat's anecdote about the paintball match with the Iraqi vets. Just like the vets in the story, it's kids fighting kids and both just want to kill/stay alive and get the whole thing over with.

That's another thing I really liked. Plans on both ends kept getting hosed up by the people on the other side being smarter than expected.

Does anyone know what Darcy was doing walking away before getting shot at the end? I assume he was trying to make it look like he was defending himself and make things trickier for the kids to explain to the cops.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Clevermuldoon posted:

That's another thing I really liked. Plans on both ends kept getting hosed up by the people on the other side being smarter than expected.

Does anyone know what Darcy was doing walking away before getting shot at the end? I assume he was trying to make it look like he was defending himself and make things trickier for the kids to explain to the cops.

Oh, holy poo poo, I didn't even think of that, but it makes total sense. Darcy is all business about his actions, so it makes sense that his final moments would be sticking to the plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Neurolimal posted:

I'm just surprised that the film, with its premise, doesn't take place in a setting/scenario with stronger historical ties to anti-neonazis. France has an insanely interesting history of leftist anti-fascist gangs squaring off against neonazis that is ripe for exploitation. Particularly with groups such as The Black Dragons and the Red Warriors.

I'l admit that I haven't [yet] seen the movie itself, so maybe it goes towards more American themes. Or maybe I'm being ignorant and Virginia has an equally crazy history.

The movie is set in Oregon.

Anyway, it's an indie movie, and the writer/director is an American. Do you really expect a relatively new writer/director to set his film half-way across the world and write foreign characters? Why in the world would he make things so much harder for himself? And where would he get the funding for this? Hard enough to convince people to put up money for an indie slasher thriller.

I thought the movie was excellent, though I could only have seen it in a theater. We're I watching this at home I'd get chickenshit as soon as things started getting nasty and I'd turn it off. It's a one time effective thriller and it's impressive that so entertaining a movie was made so cheaply. The lush and overcast setting of the Pacific Northwest is always very alluring on the screen (the first couple of seasons of The X-files, Rambo: First Blood, and I'm sure many more) and it really adds to the atmosphere.

The exchange where Alia Shawat's character corrects that dude to the effect that her band is from Arlington, not Washington told me the writer/director hails from Northern VA. It's the sort of regional thing no one else who wasn't from NOVA would think to have a character of theirs consider bothersome enough to correct in a proud fashion.

• Locked thread