Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
You know, the premise of Bottom's Butte is actually a bit :stare: if you think about it for too long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Why does Apple and Onion look like it was animated in GoAnimate? Also how long until we stop getting Regular Show knock-offs? Wasn't really into the two slacker friends yuck it up and also the 80's.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Would not watch either. Butt Show was gross and sad, Apple and Onion was just who cares.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I do like how in a decade we've gone full circle from CN doing live-action programming to try and compete with Nick to Nick throwing together a bunch of cartoons to try and catch up with CN.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Guy Mann posted:

I do like how in a decade we've gone full circle from CN doing live-action programming to try and compete with Nick to Nick throwing together a bunch of cartoons to try and catch up with CN.

Those were both CN pilots though?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

Considering Nickelodeon is a wasteland right now, that's not a high bar to clear.

Chris Savino's been in so much stuff, is this his first real series that he's created? You can see the lineage from his Mickey shorts style, hopefully it works in a series.

I think he made Kick Buttowski.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

don Jaime posted:

I think he made Kick Buttowski.

He didn't create Kick Buttoski but he WAS executive producer on it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Also how long until we stop getting Regular Show knock-offs?
They're going to try and mine that vein for a while, until someone watches the Nth pilot where 'Cool but kind of a Loser Protagonist A' dusts off a BETAmax and they say "Haven't I seen this like twice on Regular Show??"

Like, unless you have a poo poo My Dad Says/Wonder Years retrospective cartoon, the idea of awesome retro poo poo that reminds you of real 80s poo poo is so Regular Show now that everything else is an imitation.

Also, assuming we don't crash economically any time soon, we're due for late 90s/Millenarian retro nostalgia by 2020. Guest voices by Joey Fatone, characters with frosted tips, playing CD based games on their FunStation 68...

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 4, 2016

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Why does Apple and Onion look like it was animated in GoAnimate? Also how long until we stop getting Regular Show knock-offs? Wasn't really into the two slacker friends yuck it up and also the 80's.

As soon as people stop trying to mine the aesthetics of 1980s as a source of jokes because they think being ironically fascinated with it is still novel.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Did... did the Bottom main character literally say, "Aiieeeee"?

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Also, assuming we don't crash economically any time soon, we're due for late 90s/Millenarian retro nostalgia by 2020. Guest voices by Joey Fatone, characters with frosted tips, playing CD based games on their FunStation 68...
Steven Universe is the first show I've seen to aim for that late 90's/early 2000's time period. I don't think I've ever seen another show reference the freaking Gamecube.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Is that Richard Ayoade as Onion?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Applewhite posted:

Is that Richard Ayoade as Onion?

edit: Someone made a White Ninja TV show?

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 4, 2016

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Steven Universe is the first show I've seen to aim for that late 90's/early 2000's time period. I don't think I've ever seen another show reference the freaking Gamecube.

Well depends on how direct of a reference you mean, both South Park, and Drake & Josh had Game Cube parodies(both coincidentally being sphere shaped), and an episode of Billy and Mandy more indirectly made fun of how non conventional/awkward the N64 and Game Cube controllers were

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

drrockso20 posted:

Well depends on how direct of a reference you mean, both South Park, and Drake & Josh had Game Cube parodies(both coincidentally being sphere shaped), and an episode of Billy and Mandy more indirectly made fun of how non conventional/awkward the N64 and Game Cube controllers were

The difference is that those were contemporary references, while SU is using those for nostalgia.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Also, assuming we don't crash economically any time soon

So we should definitely become accelerationists?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Gamecube is 15 years old, there are people old enough to drink for whom it was their first console.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

I don't think I've ever seen another show reference the freaking Gamecube.

https://twitter.com/nintendo_us/status/693935575808774144

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

poo poo, I just got used to the N64 being classified as "retro gaming."

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Y-Hat posted:

poo poo, I just got used to the N64 being classified as "retro gaming."

I was told a while back that Fallout 2 was "one of those horrible looking old-timey games." I feel like I don't have a place in this world anymore.

No Country For Old Gamers

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

MrSlam posted:

I was told a while back that Fallout 2 was "one of those horrible looking old-timey games." I feel like I don't have a place in this world anymore.

No Country For Old Gamers

To be fair, those games aged really badly.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Air is lava! posted:

To be fair, those games aged really badly.

Unless a game is literally unplayable because Windows 13 can't fathom the complexity of DOSbox, that phrase makes no sense to me.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

MrSlam posted:

Unless a game is literally unplayable because Windows 13 can't fathom the complexity of DOSbox, that phrase makes no sense to me.

It means the mechanics and visuals are difficult to go back to after years and years of other games building on them and taking them further.

Like trying to play the original Metroid, which had no world map or save capabilities.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Bass Bottles posted:

It means the mechanics and visuals are difficult to go back to after years and years of other games building on them and taking them further.

Like trying to play the original Metroid, which had no world map or save capabilities.

Gotcha. I didn't think western turn-based RPGs had gone out of style but now that you mention I can't recall too many modern ones off the top of my head. Looking back I think they went out of favor somewhere around Arcanum when there was an option to have combat in real-time but it sucked balls because it tried to be Fallout and Diablo 2 at the same time and combat went from strategic planning to clusterfuck of whacking things with a sword in 5 seconds or less.

edit: Cartoons! The Dover boys have suddenly become popular for some reason. This video alone jumped nearly 6,000 views in a few days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR0eBWDVAtw

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 5, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

No single cartoon deserves its fame as much as "The Dover Boys" does. Sometimes I wonder what did the books (were they books?) that they make fun of were like.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

They were mostly poking fun at The Rover Boys, a proto-Hardy Boys series that started at the turn of the century. A lot of those corny old tropes probably stuck around in the public consciousness though so it's probably not just that one series they were making fun of.

"Oh Dora dear, sweet Dora dear,
Keep courage up and chin held high,
The stalwart sons of old PU,
Are here at hand to do or die."

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bass Bottles posted:

the gamer spirit is weak with you

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

frank.club posted:

the gamer spirit is weak with you

:( Zero Mission was cool tho!!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bass Bottles posted:

:( Zero Mission was cool tho!!

we're cool now

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MrSlam posted:

Gotcha. I didn't think western turn-based RPGs had gone out of style but now that you mention I can't recall too many modern ones off the top of my head. Looking back I think they went out of favor somewhere around Arcanum when there was an option to have combat in real-time but it sucked balls because it tried to be Fallout and Diablo 2 at the same time and combat went from strategic planning to clusterfuck of whacking things with a sword in 5 seconds or less.

edit: Cartoons! The Dover boys have suddenly become popular for some reason. This video alone jumped nearly 6,000 views in a few days

Apparently it has to do with a lot of people on Tumblr finding out it's in the Public Domain(technically it's been that way for decades but still), well that and it's one of the best Looney Tunes cartoons not to revolve around one of the recurring stars

Also apparently the Rover Boys books it parodies were written by the guy who created the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's been in the Public Domain for decades. There were a lot of cheap VHS tapes of it and other cartoons, or those public domain three stooges shorts.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Apparently it even spawned a Columbia pictures knockoff called The Rocky Road to Ruin

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

MrSlam posted:

Apparently it even spawned a Columbia pictures knockoff called The Rocky Road to Ruin

A character design!

I'll steal it!!

NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!!!

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

MrSlam posted:

Cartoons! The Dover boys have suddenly become popular for some reason. This video alone jumped nearly 6,000 views in a few days

So does this mean Sniffles the mouse will be making a comeback this year?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This week's Gumball was pretty much like 25% Last of Us references.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

axleblaze posted:

I was flipping through stuff and managed to catch the fusing into a clicker bit and reflexively :stonk:'d for a second.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

axleblaze posted:

I was wondering if that was a Last of Us reference, holy poo poo Gumball.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

axleblaze posted:

Which episode aired this week?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CuddlyZombie posted:

Which episode aired this week?

I think it was called The Parasite

Adbot