Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
squee

E: team irrelevant really needs to get over not killing anyone tho. Unless they plan to bankrupt samaritan with the surgery costs of replacement knees

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Just finished watching YHWH...I'm ready.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Those last minutes were so, so dumb. Looking forward to next week nonetheless!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Iron Rose posted:

squee

E: team irrelevant really needs to get over not killing anyone tho. Unless they plan to bankrupt samaritan with the surgery costs of replacement knees

Don't worry, team Samaritan isn't killing anyone either :v:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

HERE WE GO

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ignis posted:

Those last minutes were so, so dumb. Looking forward to next week nonetheless!

its a legit thing the military actually did to make super computers, so its only dumb in the good way.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Those assholes just got Miller's Crossinged

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

'Call me Root, bitch.'

That'll do nicely. Welcome back.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
That song in the intro was No Wow by the Kills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX6ndnb80h0

They are the same band that did "Future Starts Slow" which was used at the end of the episode when Shaw was introduced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwudqTCkBis

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

A super computer made of PS3's is literally a real thing that the US army made. The cell processor is designed in such a way to accommodate such a system if enough of them are paired together. It' an extremely deep cut but an extremely legit one that is completely logical.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zaggitz posted:

A super computer made of PS3's is literally a real thing that the US army made. The cell processor is designed in such a way to accommodate such a system if enough of them are paired together. It' an extremely deep cut but an extremely legit one that is completely logical.

Yeah I was gonna say, they didn't make any of that up

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This show owns!

God I've missed it

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I just saw this the other day but the nitrogen tanks are real too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juZqGU9iuq0

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I wanted to hear Lionel say 'nuclear fustercluck', but it looks like that didn't make the cut. Shame.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Echophonic posted:

I wanted to hear Lionel say 'nuclear fustercluck', but it looks like that didn't make the cut. Shame.

ideally it'll just be clusterfuck in the dvds.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm amazed the show wasn't over in the first few minutes. All of them should have easily been dead. Considering that samiritan marked them all for death, the PMC goons sent after them sure were sloppy as gently caress. Saved by plot armor.

The only good part was Finch struggling on whether or not to wipe the memories of the machine. Also copying the military and making a budget supercomputer using PS3s

The CTV promo also said final season so I really hope the showrunners wrote in a satisfying conclusion. Though after seeing the mediocrity that was tonight's ep I have a bit less faith.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm amazed the show wasn't over in the first few minutes. All of them should have easily been dead. Considering that samiritan marked them all for death, the PMC goons sent after them sure were sloppy as gently caress. Saved by plot armor.

The only good part was Finch struggling on whether or not to wipe the memories of the machine. Also copying the military and making a budget supercomputer using PS3s

The CTV promo also said final season so I really hope the showrunners wrote in a satisfying conclusion. Though after seeing the mediocrity that was tonight's ep I have a bit less faith.

Thanks for restating your previously spoilered profoundly poo poo opinion. Do keep posting them throughout this season as you have previous ones because we all need to be reminded how terrible and consistently wrong you are.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Roflex posted:

I keep forgetting that people not from NYC don't see these nitrogen tanks everyday and think they're normal.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Though after seeing the mediocrity that was tonight's ep I have a bit less faith.
Reviewers who saw the first 4 eps of the season say the next three are better.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zaggitz posted:

Thanks for restating your previously spoilered profoundly poo poo opinion. Do keep posting them throughout this season as you have previous ones because we all need to be reminded how terrible and consistently wrong you are.

lol

So you disagree that they had plot armor and the goons were only as competent as the writing needed them to be? You legitimately thought the team was in any real danger at any point?

Sub Rosa posted:

Reviewers who saw the first 4 eps of the season say the next three are better.

Very good news. More scenes like Finch struggling with what to do about the machine please and less no stakes shootouts.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Considering how compressed the season is, and how this was more an epilogue to last season than a real season premiere, I wish this week was a double shot. Still, happy the show is back, and extra happy that it's no more delays until the end.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Show is baaaaaack and it was pretty awesome.

"You can call me Root, bitch"

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zaggitz posted:

ideally it'll just be clusterfuck in the dvds.

I feel like it'd be more like Fusco to actually say fustercluck, honestly. I mean, he does have a kid.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So you disagree that they had plot armor and the goons were only as competent as the writing needed them to be? You legitimately thought the team was in any real danger at any point?

It's a dumb thing to get worked up about because the point of the episode is that the Machine is in danger, not the team. Outside of the cold open, the team are just being set back in how they can actually help the Machine. Hell even when root gets cornered at the Russian's place, they don't mention killing her, they just want the Machine.

Echophonic posted:

I feel like it'd be more like Fusco to actually say fustercluck, honestly. I mean, he does have a kid.

Fair.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zaggitz posted:

It's a dumb thing to get worked up about because the point of the episode is that the Machine is in danger, not the team. Outside of the cold open, the team are just being set back in how they can actually help the Machine. Hell even when root gets cornered at the Russian's place, they don't mention killing her, they just want the Machine.

I don't think I'm the one getting worked up about it :v:

Basically I was just disappointed that Samaritan was now actively hunting them without the machine to guide them but it seemed like it was a mild inconvenience at best. Finch dodged his captors by changing hats on a bus :geno:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Echophonic posted:

I thought he said "farkakte," which is Yiddish for "crappy" or "screwed up" or "ridiculous" or "goddamn." As a NYC cop, he probably would have picked it up as a slang expression.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Zaggitz posted:

I also thought it might not have been explained but the warehouse hacker guy was mentioning that in this world, the desktop/laptop/server PC computers were fairly compromised by the "NSA" (Samaritan) with some persistent malware. They probably went after game consoles since PS3s have been fairly broken security-wise for downgrading, "are of last [an older] generation", are used mostly for gaming and not used for much general computing but could be, are readily available in large numbers, and thus might had slipped past Samaritan's efforts on that.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 4, 2016

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"

Roflex posted:

I was really confused about that, thanks.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Sub Rosa posted:

Considering how compressed the season is, and how this was more an epilogue to last season than a real season premiere, I wish this week was a double shot. Still, happy the show is back, and extra happy that it's no more delays until the end.
Yeah, same. It was a good premiere but since it basically left off soon after the S4 finale it felt a lot more like finishing up the mess they left behind more than setting anything up. The only real setup for anything feels like it's for Fusco right now, who's trying to figure out what the hell is going on after someone killed Dominic and Elias in front of him.

I do have to say the flashbacks were primo though.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
"Did it work?"

man, I miss Reese's unintentional comedic timing. Looking forward to riding this speeding bullet train to the series finale.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The most important thing is Bear is back and is the best.

"Wednesday New York". The legend of the "Man in the Suit" continues. Welcome back T-Bone. Root fondling that gun. Some kneecaps are reaped and people killed.

This is a good episode. I am not sure why anyone are complaining about cleaning up last seasons finale, the main arc continues, Fusco stays outside. Reese does some funny things completely straight.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Basically I was just disappointed that Samaritan was now actively hunting them without the machine to guide them but it seemed like it was a mild inconvenience at best. Finch dodged his captors by changing hats on a bus :geno:
"Manually Tracking". Reese's cover also re-establishes itself back at the police station as another way of telling you Sammy still has trouble with the team once it's loses track. You really are terrible at watching this show.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I <3 PoI but I agree, the 'action' component was perfunctory at best. The lack of urgency around the case was distracting, too.

That aside: It She lives !!!

I hope we get the AI equivalent of it going all John Carpenter's The Thing on Samaritan. Hack into the firmware-malware and pwn the planet, upend Samaritan's infrastructure and then eat Samaritan.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Is there anyplace to watch this online without the "Exclusive Commentary Track"? Forgot to set the DVR.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Made a single image with some quick photoshop work

I shed a tear, this show really knows how to pull at my heart.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Are you...Admin?"

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I thought he said "farkakte," which is Yiddish for "crappy" or "screwed up" or "ridiculous" or "goddamn." As a NYC cop, he probably would have picked it up as a slang expression.

That's what it sounded like, now that I've seen it spelled out. That's a pretty Fusco thing to say, too.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I don't think I'm the one getting worked up about it :v:

Samaritan still had trouble following them because of the malware; Root was followed by identifying the shotgun she was carrying at one point.

Although you do think one or more of the guys would've stayed off the bus for that very reason.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The episode felt a bit rushed, but I guess with the compressed schedule, they couldn't really let the tension build up. Compare this chase/hunt with Reese and Carter running from HR, and there was definitely more time to breathe and let it build up so that it seemed like the characters were actually in danger.

I liked the scene where Samaritan activated the civilian assets, though. There was a certain zombie movie vibe to it where these otherwise normal people all suddenly turned hostile.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I liked the scene where Samaritan activated the civilian assets, though. There was a certain zombie movie vibe to it where these otherwise normal people all suddenly turned hostile.

What I really liked about this was that aside from the two who actually attacked her, everyone else ran away to the other side of the train as soon as Root fought back. Samaritan isn't magically turning people into soldiers or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

The machine in fatalistic mode:

In segments

• Locked thread